As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BattleBots 2009 - Coming Whenever Enough Commercial Spots Get Sold

Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
UPDATE: Unfortunately the episodes have been delayed for a variety of reasons.
[Note, this is no longer the case] As an avid builder, I'm pleased to say that the air dates for the 2009 BattleBots Collegiate Championship are now public.

Episode 1: 12/10 at 9:00 PM ET
Episode 2: 12/17 at 9:00 PM ET
Episode 3: 12/24 at 9:00 PM ET
Episode 4: 12/31 at 9:00 PM ET

All of these episodes will be carried not by CBS College Sports, but by Fox.

The Contenders [that I know of]:

Bear Punch - Missouri State University
Category 5 - University of Miami
Cattitude - University of Cincinnati
Chunk - CalPoly
DracUCLA - UCLA
Falcon - Team Blue Devil (offshoot of Team Whyachi), college/university/institute unknown (Menomonie, Wisconsin)
JailBrake - C.O.B.R.A., college/university/institute unknown (Peoria, Illinois)
Pharaoh - R.U.M., college/university/institute unknown (Mayaguez, Puerto Rico)
Rhino - Metal Twisters, Polytechnics University of Puerto Rico
Shark Tooth - CSULB Robotics, Cal State University Long Beach
Triton - Triton Robotix, University of California, San Diego (San Diego, California)

You can see them here.

In addition, the date for the 2010 Pro, Collegiate, and High School National Championships has been announced: April 6-11th in San Francisco, CA. If all goes well, the team I am a member of may be in attendance for that competition (if not, we will probably attend RoboGames later in the month in San Francisco, CA).

EDIT: I'm crossing my fingers they show the Pro event shortly as well, because I totally want to see this thing in action:
16ablnb.jpg

Emissary42 on

• Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In the name of the lord, that is the greatest creation I have ever seen.

InHuman on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ohhhhh my lord. Any more info about that thing in the picture?

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is the weight class?

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DelphiDelphi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Purple, orange, and metal. The three most important components of a robot-fucking dinosaur.

Delphi on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is... is that a walking jaws of life?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That just seems immensely unfair to the poor sucker that ends up having to fight that behemoth for the championship. I suppose your only hope is to knock it over/into a trap. Otherwise that looks fairly solid and not likely to take to being damaged very well.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nah, a bot like bear punch will just get under one of its feet and flip it, match over

The most successful bots in the past were either the four wheeled, low to the ground flippers with really powerful pressure under their lifts or the small round spinners that pretty much tore things apart once they got to full speed

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I seem to recall one that had a powerful pick that also acted as a way to right itself that tore things up pretty badly, especially the spinners and flippers.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    VeitsevVeitsev Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I seem to recall one that had a powerful pick that also acted as a way to right itself that tore things up pretty badly, especially the spinners and flippers.

That was Deadblow made and operated by Grant Imahara from Mythbusters.

Veitsev on
    nibblersig-1.jpg
    Steam 3DS: 1160-9885-2554
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That bot immediately made me think of this:
    522771.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm amazed these are still around. I assumed they stopped when Comedy Central canceled the show.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit, a bot with actual legs.

I'd actually probably prefer a separate bots with legs fighting class though as I agree that it'll be knocked off its balance pretty easy.

Quid on
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HELL YES
    Quid wrote: »

I'd actually probably prefer a separate bots with legs fighting class though as I agree that it'll be knocked off its balance pretty easy.
    Actually, there was an amazing robot back from the old Battlebot series that had legs. Poor thing was a work of art more than a weapon and was much cooler looking than that thing.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm amazed these are still around. I assumed they stopped when Comedy Central canceled the show.

Comedy Central wasn't the right place or environment for this. But robots battling to the death, that's fucking rad. I always felt bad for the people whose robots would break down in some way during a match or at the start.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If you add legs, you get a much higher max weight.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    HELL YES

Actually, there was an amazing robot back from the old Battlebot series that had legs. Poor thing was a work of art more than a weapon and was much cooler looking than that thing.

I remember this one that didn't win it's first match that looked like a snake. It was awesome. Too bad the other guy just had to drive into it's middle.

Oh, and
    p1-l.jpg
    p8-l.jpg

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nah, a bot like bear punch will just get under one of its feet and flip it, match over

The most successful bots in the past were either the four wheeled, low to the ground flippers with really powerful pressure under their lifts or the small round spinners that pretty much tore things apart once they got to full speed

That was the most disappointing thing about battle bots. They were more often armored RC cars, than "bots".

Deebaser on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HELL YES

I remember this one that didn't win it's first match that looked like a snake. It was awesome. Too bad the other guy just had to drive into it's middle.

Oh, and
    p1-l.jpg
    p8-l.jpg

Fuck that movie was so bad.

Henroid on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yay!

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit I love Battlebots

Is Grant gonna build another robot for it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, after doing some digging, I've found out mostly what the gigantic walker up there is: it's something new that they implemented in this year's competition the "experimental class". The cool thing about that class is it has very, very few rules limiting what you can do (like weight limits). One of the things the class features is bipedal walkers - there were at least two there this past year, including the one posted. They have their own sort of demonstration matches, since they don't really fit well into any of the other battlebots categories. For example, the one in the picture up there weighs around 800 lbs and is about 4-5 feet wide.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »

That was the most disappointing thing about battle bots. They were more often armored RC cars, than "bots".
    Oooo would you stop the whinning. The definition of robot is so convoluted that I just stopped caring about pendatic problems like that.
    EDIT:
    The name of the robot I was thinking of Mechadon.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fffffffffff Battlebooottss woooooo!

I fucking loved this show back in the day.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What I've wanted to do for a while now, and what I'm probably going to attempt within a year or two:

Emotiv Epoc + Netbook + DIY USB adapter for --> + RC Transmitter + battlebot = Neural Interfaced battlebot 8-)

Biggest technical problem looks like it'll be EM interference on the headset, but I can shield that without too much trouble. But, if it works out it should cut reaction time down and be totally badass at the same time.

(Note, weeks and weeks of programming work not included)

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whenever I hear about Battlebots, I always think back to the Robot Wars episode of Spaced.

Good times.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Veitsev wrote: »

Actually I don't think it was Deadblow. I think this one was in a higher weightclass.

But yeah, I remember Deadblow being crazy effective too.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Actually I don't think it was Deadblow. I think this one was in a higher weightclass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfu9l_OF_gw

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jamie made a bot too.

They bribed him with a special award and kicked him out of Robot Wars 1997 because his bot, a spinner named Blendo, was too good and was chewing up opponents so badly that it was becoming too dangerous for the arena. (Blendo was an innovator in that it actually went for a knockout instead of trying to win on points.)

Here were two of its fights that season, against Punjar...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKE7R-Vljd8&feature=related

And Hercules...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0aHu3UVpw0&feature=related

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, now just about every robot focuses on causing damage or disabling their opponent. I'll side with the organizers at the time though, because the arena wasn't made to be able to handle a robot like Blendo. That has since ceased to be a problem.

Current areas of weapon advancement focus on disks (vertical & horizontal) and drums. The geometry of those two weapon types gives them an advantage in energy storage capacity over all other weapon types - we're talking levels approaching chemical explosives. 3g to 200g of TNT is the current range of energy equivalents for disks & drums, most falling within the 2-5g range, with 200g being essentially a theoretical maximum. My team aims to make one starting at around the 5-10g equivalent and moving up to around a 25g-75g equivalent with later upgrades.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's not battlebots (don't recall the show) but I remember Robot Wars which had Razer
    Such an awesome robot. Much more graceful and cool looking than pretty much everything else and it destroyed (in the seasons it didn't have mechanical issues)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4cHWS2758
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvVN-He7_g

Just watched some more recent videos of battlebots and it's obvious those things would massacre Razer, but back in the day Razer was pretty damn cool.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hell of a bot, but my favorite Robot Wars fight has to go to the Conquering Clown from the US version. Skip to about 4:00 and wait for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Jgm3mwPMw&feature=related

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Newp wasn't those. It was basically a larger version of Deadblow pickaxe and all.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Newp wasn't those. It was basically a larger version of Deadblow pickaxe and all.
    Was it the giant one with a hundred little legs that used a garage door spring for it's energy?

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Jamie made a bot too.

They bribed him with a special award and kicked him out of Robot Wars 1997 because his bot, a spinner named Blendo, was too good and was chewing up opponents so badly that it was becoming too dangerous for the arena. (Blendo was an innovator in that it actually went for a knockout instead of trying to win on points.)
    Wrongity wrong wrong. The reason why Blendo was dangerous was because the arena didn't have a roof.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Was it the giant one with a hundred little legs that used a garage door spring for it's energy?

Don't think so. I remember it being very (almost stupidly) large and green and having a pickaxe that would intimidate me.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So is there anywhere we can watch this live?

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It was pre-recorded in April. The next live tournament dates & locations are listed here. But if you want to see something a little more local & frequent, check out here.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    cipherhpscipherhps Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey everyone, Allen here from Triton Robotix. We're a team from the University of California, San Diego.

Anyway, the 900+ lb walking robot posted at the beginning is Gearcrow and was made by Mutant Robots. Incidentally, the creator of Gearcrow is our team mentor!

I actually got to compete in the April 2009 Championship, and that what an incredible experience that was. The producers showed the team some rough edits of the fights, and it looks spectacular. The Youtube videos hardly do the show justice, especially if you don't know how big these robots actually are.

cipherhps on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Don't think so. I remember it being very (almost stupidly) large and green and having a pickaxe that would intimidate me.

Was it Grendel perhaps?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UOjgT55Oo

Kind of hard to tell, since all we've got to go on is "Big, green with a pickaxe". The other one I was thinking it might be is The Judge, but you've ruled that out by saying it was green. Lots of designs use a pickaxe.

Still, I was a huge fan back when this was on the air. Really don't think it belonged on Comedy Central, but it was better then not seeing expensive remote controlled killing machines fighting for my enjoyment.

see317 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I know the happy is talking about, it was a very similar robot to Deadblow but on a larger scale.

JustinSane07 on