As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Martial Arts & MMA] 4 - UFC is (still) Rigged

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    tito is clock watching and remains a bitch

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    Kessler/Ward, Super Six:
    Poor, poor performance by Kessler. Just couldn't hit Ward. Ref wasn't the best (just because the holding is happening on the far side doesn't mean it isn't happening), but there's no excuses for this one. He really has to step it up if he wants to go better than 1-2 in his three fights (I still think he's gonna beat Jermaine Taylor).

Edit: Oh, the stoppage came from two cuts caused by Ward headbutts, one called, one not. Yeah, OK, a wee bit of excuses can be made, I guess.

Ward was also
    constantly ducking below the waist
    which is supposed to be illegal. I say "supposed to" because everybody does it. Mayweather does it all the time, so did young Tyson. Man, I miss young Tyson.

While I agree Ward was incorporating some less than legal tactics, it does not change the fact that Kessler wasn't able to hit him. Kessler never established his jab, refused to swing with the left hook, which Ward is weak for, and he refused to move sideways, always moving forward...essentially a great target for the much faster Ward. Kessler is made of iron though, he took some really hard shots and barely showed, if it weren't for all the headbutts i doubt he would have been so banged up. And with his punching power, He had a fair shot at winning right up to the end.

Ward put up great fight though, he studied Kessler's weaknesses and exploited them wonderfully. Even without the headbutts and holding I think he just outperformed Kessler. Which sucks, i like Kessler.
    I agree, Ward was dominating the fight up to the point it was stopped. Still annoying to have a fight stopped over headbutts, though.

BubbaT on
  • Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Boohoo tito, booohoooo

Hugh Jass on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Excuses.

And now I hate tito anew

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If Griffin had lost this fight, he could've never lived it down. Imagine if Tito had won even though he did jack squat in the 3rd round? Hah.

doug_grammar on
    edited November 2009
    If Griffin had lost this fight, he could've never lived it down. Imagine if Tito had won even though he did jack squat in the 3rd round? Hah.
    But he didn't. He won with little doubt. And tito gassed or something in the third.

And by the way there is no doctor in the world that will clear you to fight with the injuries listed as excuses.

mojojoeo on
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesus Christ Tito, if your going to provide such excuses then why did you bother to return to in-ring competition. He obviously improved his mike skills and ability to sell matches so maybe it's time to hang em and go more for a more showman position, he definitely did some selling to the crowd here during the prelim's. I'd prefer the Griffin approach to just running away and letting forums come up with excuses then making them for yourself, their honestly more amusing then the truth. Otherwise a much needed win for Forrest, Tito looked sadly gassed in the second. I wouldn't mind Ortiz/Griffin 3, just as long as Forrest doesn't suffer hearing loss from this fight :winky:.

WillisIVIIX on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jesus Christ Tito, if your going to provide such excuses then why did you bother to return to in-ring competition. He obviously improved his mike skills and ability to sell matches so maybe it's time to hang em and go more for a more showman position, he definitely did some selling to the crowd here during the prelim's. I'd prefer the Griffin approach to just running away and letting forums come up with excuses then making them for yourself, their honestly more amusing then the truth. Otherwise a much needed win for Forrest, Tito looked sadly gassed in the second. I wouldn't mind Ortiz/Griffin 3, just as long as Forrest doesn't suffer hearing loss from this fight :winky:.
    Show man position? Have you ever seen this guy when he was behind the mic in Affliction? Terrible. Absolutely god awful.

doug_grammar on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    so is it just me or did Koschek dis his teammate (Mike Swick)?

and yeah, that fight was all sorts of fucked up.

Dynagrip on
    edited November 2009
    Show man position? Have you ever seen this guy when he was behind the mic in Affliction? Terrible. Absolutely god awful.
    I did sadly, but did you see what he pulled during the hype footage and during the Spike prelim's. Granted the hype footage was obviously cut and pasted but his prelim footage/sale was better than his in-ring performance and that's what most people here enjoyed.

WillisIVIIX on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I left the bar before the interview, what were Tito's excuses?

Was it that his last non-decision win over someone other than Shamrock was in 2001?

Or was it that he was on a 2 fight losing streak, before that his only wins being against Shamrock, and his decision over Griffin?

CangoFett on
    edited November 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I left the bar before the interview, what were Tito's excuses?

Was it that his last non-decision win over someone other than Shamrock was in 2001?

Or was it that he was on a 2 fight losing streak, before that his only wins being against Shamrock, and his decision over Griffin?
    Something about a slipped disk in his, DS11, no his DS6, no no his DS4. Something along those lines were his words I don't know disc letters and numbers but he kept using a different combination during the post fight. Then it was a fractured skull which is why he had a black eye before the fight, whatever. Amazingly even though Tito was 100%, Rogen decided to ask what injuries he sustained during training, well played Joe, well played.

WillisIVIIX on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm happy Tito is back in the UFC. I don't like the guy at all, indeed I became a fan of Machida after rooting for him when he was fighting Tito; not because of Machida's skill but because I didn't like Tito. I'm happy he lost, it'd have been a shame to lose a fighter like Forrest Griffin from the top ranks (hows about Forrest vs lil Nog?). Having Tito around is good I think, he provides entertainment value even if he is annoying. He gets people talking about MMA, and there are lots of old-school fans that consider Tito one of the best there ever was. I thought he injured his hand in the 3rd, but haven't yet seen anything to suggest thats true.

Great card over all. I wish Karo - Hazellet had been on, but oh well.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I'm happy Tito is back in the UFC.

It's where he should end his career.

My favorite Tito moment was when I was talking to my buddies about Tito's skills in lay and pray when he was right behind me.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think Tito did well, but he kind of stopped entirely in the third round. Like, he didn't do a single thing. He also didn't seem to shoot for takedowns more than once a round. It was just a strange performance I think.

Otherwise a good night of fights. I think Saunders should have won the KO bonus of the night, but Rogerios TKO was nice as well. Saunders just ruined Marcus Davis, though.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I think Tito did well, but he kind of stopped entirely in the third round. Like, he didn't do a single thing. He also didn't seem to shoot for takedowns more than once a round. It was just a strange performance I think.

Otherwise a good night of fights. I think Saunders should have won the KO bonus of the night, but Rogerios was nice as well. Saunders just ruined Marcus Davis something fierce.

It was an excellent night of fights minus the koscheck/ rumble weirdness.

Titos performance. to be honest, he looked like he had cardio trouble. His stand up defense was just horrid. Forrest was landing three and four hit combos through titos arms. Sloppy as they were. When he secured the take down it looked very much like the tito of old. The third round not only did he gas, he was looking to steal the round by conserving energy and shooting at about the 3 min mark. You can watch tito eye the clock while getting punched in the head the whole round. Forrest stuffed him and that was that.

Post fight- Did he dog mark Coleman for being injured, and then make excuses about being injured himself?

Also- no doctor in the planet would clear you to fight with a "cracked skull"? right?

mojojoeo on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How was that third round not a 10-8? I don't get the point of a ten point must system if it seems like every round is a 10-9 to the judges.

edit: Also, George Sitoropolopolopoulous has super awesome fights.

815165 on
    edited November 2009
    815165 wrote: »
    How was that third round not a 10-8? I don't get the point of a ten point must system if it seems like every round is a 10-9 to the judges.

My guess would be this- If tito had gotten rocked or had been in danger of being finished, it would have been 10-8.

Instead he just stood there and got beat up a little.

Can you quantify getting beat up? I got my as kicked...... a smidge...

mojojoeo on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How was that third round not a 10-8?

Did he get a punch in? Then it's not a 10-8. It's the opposite of 10-10 rounds, which only occur if the fighters stand perfectly still for an entire round. Anyone moves and it's "Octagon Control" and that makes it a 10-9 round.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    How was that third round not a 10-8?

Did he get a punch in? Then it's not a 10-8. It's the opposite of 10-10 rounds, which only occur if the fighters stand perfectly still for an entire round. Anyone moves and it's "Octagon Control" and that makes it a 10-9 round.
    He pretty much forced Forrest to beat him up the entire round, and even coerced him into stuffing two takedowns. Tito should have won that round based on octagon control alone.

815165 on
    edited November 2009
    Tito threw like, 3 punches, and went for one crappy takedown that would make a JV coach lose his head.

It was the very definition of a 10-8 round.

CangoFett on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does anybody else think that it's weird that Forrest doesn't hit harder for all that he's a pretty big LHW? I mean he looks big, looks strong, but tends to pepper guys with punches rather than land big power shots. I guess I just wonder sometimes where the disparity in punching power comes from between guys that look like they should hit hard but don't (like Griffin) and guys who look like they shouldn't but do (like Anderson Silva). Guys who actually fight, feel free to call me an idiot.

Peen on
    edited November 2009
    Does anybody else think that it's weird that Forrest doesn't hit harder for all that he's a pretty big LHW? I mean he looks big, looks strong, but tends to pepper guys with punches rather than land big power shots. I guess I just wonder sometimes where the disparity in punching power comes from between guys that look like they should hit hard but don't (like Griffin) and guys who look like they shouldn't but do (like Anderson Silva). Guys who actually fight, feel free to call me an idiot.
    The difference is technique. Plus to be fair Tito has an iron chin.

815165 on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah, has tito ever been knocked out?

Dynagrip on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Chuck TKO'd him, I don't know if he's ever been unconscious.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited November 2009

A lot of it is technique, and speed. Forrest is not the most technical fighter and he really does not throw fast punches at all.

If you look at A.Silva though, he's incredibly fast and he's incredibly accurate. He'll hit you where you don't want to be hit and he'll hit you fast and hard.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Technique I suppose. I think it all comes down to when, where, and how.

Like if you look at Anderson he's a big time counter puncher so his opponents are generally in less defensive positions when they get rocked. Then you have guys that are more of swarmers and if you weather the initial blows hey they've lost their power and chance to overwhelm for a KO.

I guess. I have been told that I hit hard ( i'm a tiny little boy) but yeah I prefer to put my power into counter punches.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hugh Jass wrote: »
    How does amir sadollah get on the main card and didn't he lose his last 2 fights??? It says he is 2-o...

No he just lost the 1 fight. He lost his last fight with what I'd say is an early stoppage. But he was injured for a long time before that. He dominated his season without so much as a single pro fight before it started. That was pretty impressive.

Snarfmaster on
    edited November 2009
    Sadollah didn't exactly look impressive against Baroni

When Baroni had gas, he was controlling Sadollah and punching him all the time. Then, of course, Baroni gasses (like always) and can barely keep his hands up and Sadollah still is unable to finish him and strangely keeps eating the odd punch.

I wish Baroni would have a gas tank which could last longer than 3min <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Sadollah is still super new. I'd keep an eye on him. Hes only gonna get better. Trial by fire, etc etc.

CangoFett on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    (hows about Forrest vs lil Nog?).

That'd be a good #2 fight on a card. Maybe UFC 111 with GSP-Hardy as the main event and that as a co-main?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited November 2009
    I would think that lil Nog would kill Forrest.

Dynagrip on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think Dan Hardy is in for a bad night vs. GSP. I look forward to that fight. Mike Swick would probably fare worse still.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Chuck TKO'd him, I don't know if he's ever been unconscious.

Look how thick his neck is. You'd have to brain him with a fire extinguisher.

BubbaT on
    edited November 2009
    I think Dan Hardy is in for a bad night vs. GSP. I look forward to that fight. Mike Swick would probably fare worse still.

I really thought that Alves would pose a problem for GSP. I was very wrong.

Dynagrip on
    edited November 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HpNzEhYhxs&feature=player_embedded#

found this on sherdog, but its funny.
    Post fight presser - Skip to 2:25

Tito is going on and on about how he won the fight. And everyone sitting at the table rolls their eyes. Watch koscheck at 2:30. LOL.

Crumby photo shop by some sherdogger of the reactions of the fighters and Dana. Don't think anyone wants to see someone mouthing off like that.

mojojoeo on
    edited November 2009
    he's just trying to sell Tito vs Forrest 3

it's obvious. It's what he does

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If Dana White and the other UFC fighters didn't buy it, why would you expect people to buy the PPV? :lol:

Definitely not going to see an "INSTANT REMATCH" like Machida/Shogun.

On another note, can I request that the mods keep this thread open until TUF10 concludes on Wednesday? It'll be nice to encapsulate the whole event into one thread rather than have it spill over.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited November 2009

Ya. But with his tears?

I would rather forrest move on with his career than get stuck on this guy.

mojojoeo on
  • Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    On another note, can I request that the mods keep this thread open until TUF10 concludes on Wednesday? It'll be nice to encapsulate the whole event into one thread rather than have it spill over.

I'm pretty sure TUF is off this Wednesday because of Thanksgiving. I think they're finishing it up with the two-hour episode on 12/2 with the Finale being on 12/5.

Wet Bandit on