As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

so like poker

2»

• Options
    stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I have a chipest i can bring as well. I also have a set of KEM cards :).

Tournament or cash game is cool w/ me. As far as those with legality goes it is legal as long as no rake is taken. Hopefully we'll actually get a game off the ground this year since we never did last year.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2005
    I would be up for taking your guys money... erm playing poker, texas hold-em is fine :P, strip poker would also be acceptible assuming it isn't all guys or over 10% guys.

P.S. if we are doing this could we atleast set a place so i'm not wandering aimlessly around asking where the poker is.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well since they opened the Ballroom during the PAX... i suggest we go play our texas holdem poker there. Friday/Saturday Night? Maybe around 10pm or midnight?

What u guys think?

If it's allowed, then I'll put up a sign on my room regarding the poker game. Hopefully this'll happen.

If ya got any more suggestions, which you should, lemme know soon for i am computer-less during pax

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Just so you know, in Washington you need a license to hold any kind of poker tournament involving a buy-in even if all entry fees are distributed to the player.

Fall on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    After reading this http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/Rules/SimpProj/June05StudySessionDraft.pdf I believe you are right.

However, would it still be illegal for a group of guys to suddenly play poker, like whatever? This isn't some official PAX Poker Tournament or something, so I dunno. I mean this isn't some sponsored event, it's just a poker game to be played, nothin much.

[/url]

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    man you say that like i care about the law

just keep the money out of site, and if anyone asks just say we're not playing for money

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    The law is just for an organization holding it and keeping some of the money for it, not for a bunch of guys to get together and play poker...

Like...if Khoo was making it a PAX tourney and you had to pay $5 to enter and $2 of each entry went to PAX...then it'd be illegal without a permit.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    The law is just for an organization holding it and keeping some of the money for it, not for a bunch of guys to get together and play poker...

The law specifically states that it doesn't matter how much if any of the entry fees goes towards an organizer or host. Any game (skill or luck, it doesn't matter) that involves a cost to enter is deemed illegal unless you get a license (and that temp license usually is only given to fairs or carnivals). Most states have a similar law regarding the legality of entry fee events, although some states allow it without a license if you distribute all of the entry fees as prizes. Washington isn't one of those states.

Many LAN centers in Washington host buy in tournaments for PC/console games and don't realize that this isn't legal, although the likelyhood of anyone getting in trouble is non-existant.

Play a ring game in your hotel room and you won't have any problems since what you're doing would have no effect on PA nor would it be in plain sight of anyone including security or on site police.

Fall on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    the ballroom will be about one million times better, because there is no room in the rooms for a ring game

really, it won't be that hard to just keep money out of site

Borfase on
  • Options
    Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Play with chips/monopoly money. Please don't get PAX in trouble with the law.

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on
  • Options
    DudditsDuddits Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    do it

Duddits on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    The law specifically states that it doesn't matter how much if any of the entry fees goes towards an organizer or host. Any game (skill or luck, it doesn't matter) that involves a cost to enter is deemed illegal unless you get a license (and that temp license usually is only given to fairs or carnivals). Most states have a similar law regarding the legality of entry fee events, although some states allow it without a license if you distribute all of the entry fees as prizes. Washington isn't one of those states.

Many LAN centers in Washington host buy in tournaments for PC/console games and don't realize that this isn't legal, although the likelyhood of anyone getting in trouble is non-existant.

Play a ring game in your hotel room and you won't have any problems since what you're doing would have no effect on PA nor would it be in plain sight of anyone including security or on site police.

K k. Now I understand it better. So yeah, we'll try to keep it as clean as possible.

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    edited August 2005

No. If 100% of the monies involved go back to the players it is legal in WA. We've emailed them before about it for tournaments we play at work. If anything isn't going back to the players (even charity events) then you have to start looking at permits. Guys just playing between themselves w/ no rake or fee is perfectly legal.

Anyway, when does everyone want to play.

stabn_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Friday/Saturday night. Most likely late night. It depends on what time people would wanna do it.

I'll have a poker sign on my hotel door at the doubletree (along with my canadian sign too).

So if enough people wanna do it, we'll definetely do it. (the poker, to be specific).

And to those other people that have them chips/cards, pls bring em too.

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    stabn_ wrote:

No. If 100% of the monies involved go back to the players it is legal in WA. We've emailed them before about it for tournaments we play at work. If anything isn't going back to the players (even charity events) then you have to start looking at permits. Guys just playing between themselves w/ no rake or fee is perfectly legal.

Anyway, when does everyone want to play.

You're right.

RCW Title 9.46.0331 states that regardless of entry fee distribution any event that could be considered to be even slightly influenced by player skill is not allowed unless you get a license.

RCW Title 9.46.0282 specifically states that "casual card games" are an exception to this rule.

The problem still exists regarding the location. RCW Title 9.46.0282 refers to situations where a player ("A natural person who gambles at a social game of chance on equal terms with the other participants") is the one providing the location for play (the intent of the law is to allow home games and tournaments).

RCW Title 9.46.0351 reads as follows:
    (1) The legislature hereby authorizes any bona fide charitable or nonprofit organization which is licensed pursuant to RCW 66.24.400, and its officers and employees, to allow the use of the premises, furnishings, and other facilities not gambling devices of such organization by members of the organization, and members of a chapter or unit organized under the same state, regional, or national charter or constitution, who engage as players in the following types of gambling activities only:

(a) Social card games; and

(b) Social dice games, which shall be limited to contests of chance, the outcome of which are determined by one or more rolls of dice.

(2) Bona fide charitable or nonprofit organizations shall not be required to be licensed by the commission in order to allow use of their premises in accordance with this section. However, the following conditions must be met:

(a) No organization, corporation, or person shall collect or obtain or charge any percentage of or shall collect or obtain any portion of the money or thing of value wagered or won by any of the players: PROVIDED, That a player may collect his or her winnings; and

(b) No organization, corporation, or person shall collect or obtain any money or thing of value from, or charge or impose any fee upon, any person which either enables him or her to play or results in or from his or her playing: PROVIDED, That this subsection shall not preclude collection of a membership fee which is unrelated to participation in gambling activities authorized under this section.

So in order for the location (in the case, a rented out hotel conference room) to allow for non-licensed card games or gambling the organization owning the location must be nonprofit or charitable according to Washington law. Doubletree ain't nonprofit or a charity, and niether is Penny Arcade.

Regardless of law, the hotel might have its own rules regarding gambling. Give them a call and ask. They'd be the ones liable (as host) if what you're doing is illegal (RCW 9.46.0289) assuming they're aware of what's going on in the room. Late night events in hotels have on-site security, so the hotel would be aware of it.

Recap:

1. Home games and tournaments are legal as long as no one's taking a cut for the house.

2. Non-profit/charitable organizations are allowed to host poker games/tournaments if they're not taking a cut.

3. Anything else requires a license. This includes poker tournaments held in the Doubletree or video game tournaments held all around the state at LAN centers or arcades.

4. Just play in your room or with monopoly monies!

Fall on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Alright nice post.

In any case, if anyone wants to play i will be in the BYOC area with a kem cards case next to my monitor (case will be empty).

stabn_ on
  • Options
    TheresaTheresa Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    WHEN IS THE GAME I'M SO THERE.

Theresa on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    sorry, no girls allowed

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Theresa wrote:
    WHEN IS THE GAME I'M SO THERE.

You don't own a condo do you?

stabn_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    sorry, no girls allowed

What if they have lots of $$ and have never played before?

stabn_ on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    rule revoked

Borfase on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, I believe this to be the case with Theresa :P j/k

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Did we ever get a preference on tonight vs tomorrow night?

stabn_ on