As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beavs stuff: thanks for 100 pages of support guys :)

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah, I didn't mean to derail the thread, sorry.

Beav I think a zombie you would be more scary if maybe the flesh from one cheek were gone.

You gotta have nibble marks.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    the crits that could be poured into this drawing are astronomical, DDV.
    astronomical

I just got carried away because, a few weeks ago, I would have been like "Oh shit son that is awesome."

But now I see.

It's...kind of exciting.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    astronomical

I just got carried away because, a few weeks ago, I would have been like "Oh shit son that is awesome."

But now I see.

It's...kind of exciting.

that is the best feeling
    also i don't care if you guys derail my thread by beating on liefeld

i was just got slightly concerned when someone made a crit and i was like...wait...do they... do they think i made this???

you can talk about liefeld all you want

beavotron on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    school drawing

zombeavs

for some reason this reminds me a lot of the scary stories to tell in the dark books

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kinkade is the lighting master. One day I want to paint just like him.

As a senior prank last year someone at my art school set every faculty member's desktop to that exact kinkade painting. It was magic. Also, I am totally buying your holiday cards and sending them to my steam friends. <3

Digging the self portrait too.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey Beavo!
    I don't know if you've posted them here yet but I checked out your christmas cards in valve's store and I LOVE them. Totally hilarious and drawn beautifully-Great Work!

Much love and I hope you had a great birthday!

sharky t on
  • Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ...Didn't this thread have like 45 pages yesterday night? What the shit happened?

Sonic on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    that kinkaide painting has over 40 ninjas in it

t beavo i think the lips on the right (her right) wouldn't be as fully formed going into the torn up part. Almost like the tearing would start partway along the lip.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sonic wrote: »
    ...Didn't this thread have like 45 pages yesterday night? What the shit happened?

You're probably thinking of the chat thread, which also has beav's name in the title!

CONFUSING, EH?

Sublimus on
  • Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That must have been it... I probably had two tabs open and... jeez I was so confused there for a minute!

Sonic on
  • Options
    MBirkhoferMBirkhofer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    astronomical

But now I see.

It's...kind of exciting.

that is the best feeling

i was just got slightly concerned when someone made a crit and i was like...wait...do they... do they think i made this???

But your styles are so similar. It was hard to tell the differance!

MBirkhofer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    MBirkhofer wrote: »
    astronomical

But now I see.

It's...kind of exciting.

that is the best feeling

But your styles are so similar. It was hard to tell the differance!

hey you!
    when did you start posting around here!?!?
    make a thread so we can all ogle your incredible art!

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    maybe. I've been so busy, I haven't had much of a chance to do any personal works in a while. So don't really have anything worth posting.

I've had an account here for a long time. Just rarely check the forums. I think this is where I saw your work first, iirc.

MBirkhofer on
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure this is where we ALL first saw her work. Since then we've all enviously watched her talent and fame grow, and grow. Surpassing us at every chance.....plotting her inevitable downfall....

...Lurking in the shadows....

just waiting for the chance to strike....

and then............

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I almost asked Rob Liefeld for a critique at comic con.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    oh my god
    why didn't you do this?
    why daniel?

why?

beavotron on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh my god
    why didn't you do this?
    why daniel?

why?

I'm pretty sure that doing something like that will give you brain damage or cancer. Probably both.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    liefeldgirl1.gif

hurrrgghhh

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i just did a gis for this liefeld guy. is he being intentionally ignorant of anatomy for ironic purposes? there is a picture of wolverine here with his head protruding from his left shoulder. there is a clear line down the middle of his chest as part of his uniform and his head/collar is well to his left. what on earth

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i just did a gis for this liefeld guy. is he being intentionally ignorant of anatomy for ironic purposes? there is a picture of wolverine here with his head protruding from his left shoulder. there is a clear line down the middle of his chest as part of his uniform and his head/collar is well to his left. what on earth

Every time he comes up in a conversation, I have to show people this: http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html

Hilarious.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Every time he comes up in a conversation, I have to show people this: http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html

Hilarious.

i have a very basic grasp of human anatomy and can draw a thousand lines. i, too, could be a professional comics artist!

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Rob is a guy that is generally exuberant about his work. There is some "I'll sick my lawyers on you" when it comes to "slander" and questions of pay. But in general, he loves comics, and is the type of person its hard to be mad at. He still gets work, becuase he has money and can fund himself, hes easy to work with, and is popular. Popular>good.
    Style trumps substance. Comics certainly aren't the only entertainment field where the good get ignored while the awful are wildly popular. A brief look at the top 10 charts of music, daily TV, and Twilight in the box office should make that pretty obvious.

Much of Rob's attacks on good taste are from the early 90's. Leifield, Silverstri, McFarlane. It started as a bit of a "high energy" revolution from the more static, and better drawn art that was dominant prior. Kick ass became wildly popular over looking good.

Rob has never gotten better. Deadlines are major issue with comics, and alot of his more god awful stuff, can be partially attributed to, "I need to draw this page in 1 hour". There is something to be said about having to do something like that, in 1 hour, then having people make fun of you for 20 years after about it.
    In some sense, its not fair. on the other hand. He hasn't gotten better. If he didn't still make the same shitty mistakes, people would be more forgiving.

MBirkhofer on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just don't understand how the guy is so bad having drawn professionally for so long.
    He must see the mistakes he's making and just doesn't care.

I mean really, a blind wheelchair bound epileptic moose could see that there are issues here.

cable2as9.jpg
    I've seen abrahms tanks with smaller hips than this.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Rob is a guy that is generally exuberant about his work. There is some "I'll sick my lawyers on you" when it comes to "slander" and questions of pay. But in general, he loves comics, and is the type of person its hard to be mad at. He still gets work, becuase he has money and can fund himself, hes easy to work with, and is popular. Popular>good.
    Style trumps substance. Comics certainly aren't the only entertainment field where the good get ignored while the awful are wildly popular. A brief look at the top 10 charts of music, daily TV, and Twilight in the box office should make that pretty obvious.

Much of Rob's attacks on good taste are from the early 90's. Leifield, Silverstri, McFarlane. It started as a bit of a "high energy" revolution from the more static, and better drawn art that was dominant prior. Kick ass became wildly popular over looking good.

Rob has never gotten better. Deadlines are major issue with comics, and alot of his more god awful stuff, can be partially attributed to, "I need to draw this page in 1 hour". There is something to be said about having to do something like that, in 1 hour, then having people make fun of you for 20 years after about it.
    In some sense, its not fair. on the other hand. He hasn't gotten better. If he didn't still make the same shitty mistakes, people would be more forgiving.

Then he needs to make time.

He's a multi-millionare; he has a wealth of options in taking a break from his empire to study some fucking anatomy.

Godfather on
  • Options
    A-squaredA-squared Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm with beav, his music is quite good. I also find the soundings of lupe really swell as well.

A-squared on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    hahahahah what?
    who are you talking about a-squared?
    kanye?

that was so... many many pages ago. they're onto rob liefeld the comic artist now.

beavotron on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

you absolutely cannot chalk his problems up to deadlines. it takes no longer to draw a properly shaped body than an improperly shaped body, IF you understand basic anatomy. the dude does NOT get a pass for "tight deadlines"

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why take the time to learn how to whip up fine cream when you're being paid heaps of money to churn out shitbutter?

I doubt Liefeld has either drive for self-improvement or incentive.

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I must admit if you removed the need or potential of making a living from art would I try as hard?
    The answer is probably no.

Then again if I were making a living from it would I want to be good? The answer in that case would be yes.

So you have to ask yourself, do I have a point here? The answer is most definately not.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't feel the same way as him, but I can see it from his perspective. He's having a really fun time drawing what he likes to draw and he made a shitload of money doing it. What would learning anatomy really get him at this point, except the respect of his peers? He obviously doesn't care about that, and I can't really see why he SHOULD care about that. He's got fans, he's got money, he's got a family, and he has the time of his life drawing shit how he wants to draw it.

*edit* sorry to derail beav.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    A-squaredA-squared Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh dear this is one fast moving thread

A-squared on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Beav, I just wanna say that I've enjoyed checking in on this thread and seeing all of the awesome art. This morning I was browsing Think Geek and saw the Holiday Cards. I literally freaked out, opened a new tab and browsed here just to say ZOMGZAWESOMEFKNWOO. I'm buying some after I submit this.

Thanks for making my morning not suck. Keep up the great work!

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    thanks gahmorious!!!! <3

i don't mind the derailment guys, it's an interesting debate. and one that i personally think is a huge point that should be talked about here in this forum.

i kind of agree with both sides
    if you're happy and doing what you love for a living, great
    on the other hand... young artists are looking up to him, and i think he's a terrible role model.

but i mean... that's life! young people look up to lots of shitty people, they hopefully reach the stage where they push beyond that.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ha. I don't think anyone looks up to him.
    (And if you do, I could give you links to about a million other artists you should be aware of.)

But artist hating comes up alot on forums. It's naive, and alot easier to do, when you have no experience working professionally, and therefor have no real understanding of all the aspects of working a job.
    Art is a skill. And even if you want to create the best work ever, you still need to learn how to do so. And producing artwork is not building a TV. Each and every piece presents new challenges.
    Working professionally takes it to another level, where you have time constraints, and editorial constraints.
    I've personally have had MANY pieces I consider gutted, because my client wanted something other then what I had envisioned, and created.
    These may not apply to Liefield, sure.

The saying, people living in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones applies.
    Burning bridges also, not a good idea.
    I would rather spend time, talking about what people do that is great, then waste my time on what I think isn't.
    He makes a good deal of money with his art. Good for him.

Lets all talk about how awesome Sean Gordon Murphy is instead.
    Or Alexandria. :mrgreen:

MBirkhofer on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Houk wrote: »

you absolutely cannot chalk his problems up to deadlines. it takes no longer to draw a properly shaped body than an improperly shaped body, IF you understand basic anatomy. the dude does NOT get a pass for "tight deadlines"

to a degree you can
    you can name a ton of artists that miss deadlines all the time

humble on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    humble wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »

to a degree you can
    you can name a ton of artists that miss deadlines all the time

i think it's the fact that he's missing deadlines and doing such bizarre things to the human body. the combination is the true killer.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think Beav needs to post more of her badass artwork

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whatever success he's attained, Liefeld's a shit artist. Be it his busy, unintelligible lines or poor understanding of anatomy. There are surely people working on the same or tighter deadlines as he is producing higher quality artwork.

Beavo, if you're not going to show me cel shading, at least post more work!

Dammit!

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i'm in my finals!

i've made some neat paper sculptures lately that are sort of cool
    here's one:

nautillus_1.jpg

nautillus_2.jpg

nautilus_3.jpg

nautilus_4.jpg

it's a nautillus constructed out of white cardstock
    it's part of my final project for sculpted forms, i'm making 49 more of these little dudes and suspending them in front of this 9 foot tall, 6 foot wide white sheet.
    one of them is going to be hunter orange
    so all but the orange one blend into their surroundings.
    then you can pull the white sheet aside and behind it is a hunter orange sheet, so the whole thing changes, the 49 white ones stand out and the orange one blends into his surroundings.

it's called natural selection.
    i'm doing an installation how art school is that?
    i made it about science though

beavotron on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    awesome

TheySlashThem on
This discussion has been closed.