As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Indie Games Thread: March 9th - See OP for massive updating

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can't figure out where to go next in level 6. I'm at the highest point I can reach, and the moving block is to my left. It's way too long of a jump to make, though.

Edit: Never mind, figured it out.

jothki on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys, Seven is amazing. Wonderful 3d and I loved the controls even though some people start to hate it when they get to level 6. :P

Level 6 ain't so bad

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2009
    Autumn Dynasty

Just watch the trailer. Trust me :)

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's good stuff afoot in this thread.

I just want to second Minotaur China Shop. The graphics alone have about the most advanced 3D I've ever seen in a flash game.

Saddler on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's because it's not a flash game. It's built in Unity.

Lly on
    edited August 2009
    http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/08/14/tower-of-heaven

it's one of those really hard platformers in the same spirit of Jumper and I Wanna Be The Guy, except there are rules that are introduced every couple of stages, such as:
    - not touching the sides or bottom of any platform
    - not walking left

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://tigsource.com/articles/2009/08/14/tower-of-heaven

it's one of those really hard platformers in the same spirit of Jumper and I Wanna Be The Guy, except there are rules that are introduced every couple of stages, such as:
    - not touching the sides or bottom of any platform
    - not walking left

It's really funny the website is only the download link and a donate button.

Xtarath on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, i loled at that; I had seen the donate/ DL page earlier, but forgot the address, so i googled the game and found some other stuff like the speedrun contest TIGsource forum entry that the creators had made, as well as the deviantart page of the artist and music guys. I'm getting crushed by the game itself, but the music and art are AWESOME.

DusT_HounD on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zafehouse is an open-source, largely text-based "horror survival simulator," in which you control a band of wily survivors in a bid to defend a small town from horrible zombie invasion for about 3 days. It has a few quirky design choices but is strangely compelling nonetheless. It's very good at deceiving you into thinking you're doing very well, only to completely fuck you over before your next turn.

BloodySloth on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Indie Brawl built by the TIGS community has its first public release. I haven't tried it yet. [EDIT] Okay, looks like no single player yet. Get a friend.

New video for Minecraft with survival mode and other updates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDJT1KamSE&

Tim James on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2009
    AdamAtomic has made a 5 day EGP game called Canabalt.

http://adamatomic.com/canabalt/

It's very basic. One button to jump. Hold it for larger jumps, and try and last as long as you can.

Despite the simple gameplay it is seriously addictive. Fantastic graphics, great music, and a real good mood. Kinda how i wanted mirror's edge to feel in a way. Try it!

Lly on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lly wrote: »
    AdamAtomic has made a 5 day EGP game called Canabalt.

http://adamatomic.com/canabalt/

It's very basic. One button to jump. Hold it for larger jumps, and try and last as long as you can.

Despite the simple gameplay it is seriously addictive. Fantastic graphics, great music, and a real good mood. Kinda how i wanted mirror's edge to feel in a way. Try it!

I love this game, although the only thing I can't get past is the building with the glass panel you need to break through.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Yeah they're usually the spots where I die, i always jump slightly too high and wack into the wall instead of the window. Or those damned falling satellites!

Another great little game:

BEACON by Chevy Ray Johnson

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8033.0

It was made in 48 hours for the Ludum Dare competition. Based around the theme of "Caverns" it is a great little platformer, which actually managed to creep me out in parts, and becomes quite a challenge towards the end. Worth playing through for the ending.

Click the link for more info and screenshots. Definitely worth a look. The guy must have a fucking tardis to get this made in two days!

(also what happened to this thread, it's moving like mollasses recently)

Lly on
  • MichaelJWilliamsMichaelJWilliams Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know how some people describe Sonic as HOLD RIGHT LOL?

Well...

This is out now!

RunMan: Race Around the World

It's made by Tom Sennett (When the Bomb Goes Off, other RunMan games) and Matt Thorson (MoneySieze, Jumper, FLaiL, Ogmo).

It plays pretty much exactly how it looks. Move with the arrows keys, jump with X, but you can hold down Z to "zoom" which lets you dash through enemies and blocks, a bit like a super spin attack. Also, if you hit a wall while zooming, you automatically wall-jump off it, which makes things flow very smoothly.

It's awesome.

MichaelJWilliams on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man I've gotta show this thread some love after all the false promises about updates!

Henroid on
  • gambrinousgambrinous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone want more good flash games or should I stay outa the thread?

Here's a few from the last few months on my portal site:
    Cyclomaniacs: stunt cycling game
    Drift Runners: arcadey skid racer
    Twin Shot 2: platformer reminiscent of Bubble Bobble
    Spewer: physics platformer about vomiting
    Little Wheel: stylish point-n-click adventure
    Street Fighter II: official flash port
    The Space Game: interesting blend of RTS / tower defense
    Bunni: charmingly cute growing sim... kinda

gambrinous on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RunMan: Race Around the World is, in fact, high quality. The MSPaint graphics, the old timey public domain jazz, the stock sound effects, and the absurdly fast speed all come together as you jump over purple goo and race across tomato soup-filled volcanoes.

Some levels are pretty difficult, but it's not impossible. It's worth at least completing the game, even if you can't get any medals on half the levels.

Frem on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that race man looks amazing.

TyrantCow on
    edited October 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    RunMan: Race Around the World is, in fact, high quality. The MSPaint graphics, the old timey public domain jazz, the stock sound effects, and the absurdly fast speed all come together as you jump over purple goo and race across tomato soup-filled volcanoes.

Some levels are pretty difficult, but it's not impossible. It's worth at least completing the game, even if you can't get any medals on half the levels.

I got stuck on that tornado boss level. Keep getting stuck at a spot i can't jump out of. Apart from that it is great. You can tell it has matt thorson behind the coding, it all just feels tight, despite the crazy awesome graphics!

Lly on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Came across a review in PC Gamer for a game called AI War, which scored an 86% in PCG, and it sounded interesting so I Tried the demo. I'm liking it. Its getting a Steam release by the end of this month(Tentatively scheduled for this wednesday) but is available elsewhere already. Its basically a 2D space 4x RTS tower defense game, and I recommend people download the demo and try it out. Demo lets you go through the tutorials, and play Campaign mode for 1 hour. I am going to be buying it when it hits Steam. Website is www.arcengames.com

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr_oSOSTfbA

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, your pointing to the sig did not go unnoticed! ;)

Can I add my indie game, Gravitronix, to the list? =)

It's on WiiWare, but it was made in definite indy conditions:

* We worked in a windowless, dark room that we're fairly sure was once a closet (and we only had *that* because Nintendo wouldn't ship us dev equipment unless we had a "business address" =) )
    * We all had day jobs, and worked on the game whenever we could
    * Our budget consisted of whatever we could fit on our credit cards
    * All but one of us had no industry experience (one of the other guys, who did the A.I. for the game and came in about halfway through, had done some work on a DS game before which I believe was also an indie project)

The list can go on, but I'll spare you the details. ;)

Anyways, it's a multiplayer action game (unintentionally similar to Warlords =) ) on WiiWare. You can play with up to 8 players, and the goal is to defend your area of the circular arena, making sure that none of the projectiles in the middle pass through your zone. The game's got 40 or so options that you can use to customize the games, so you can change how many projectiles are in, what types, how big their explosion radiuses are, how fast they go, how physics collisions work, and a bunch of other stuff. The main control difference between this and Warlords is that you don't just bounce the projectile off of your paddle: to deflect an incoming projectile, you have to either push it away with your Push beam, or capture it with your Capture beam (at which point you can aim and charge it so it will explode, and then push it away again... or just use it like a projectile shield =) )

http://www.gravitronixgame.com

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, your pointing to the sig did not go unnoticed! ;)

Can I add my indie game, Gravitronix, to the list? =)

It's on WiiWare, but it was made in definite indy conditions:

* We worked in a windowless, dark room that we're fairly sure was once a closet (and we only had *that* because Nintendo wouldn't ship us dev equipment unless we had a "business address" =) )
    * We all had day jobs, and worked on the game whenever we could
    * Our budget consisted of whatever we could fit on our credit cards
    * All but one of us had no industry experience (one of the other guys, who did the A.I. for the game and came in about halfway through, had done some work on a DS game before which I believe was also an indie project)

The list can go on, but I'll spare you the details. ;)

Anyways, it's a multiplayer action game (unintentionally similar to Warlords =) ) on WiiWare. You can play with up to 8 players, and the goal is to defend your area of the circular arena, making sure that none of the projectiles in the middle pass through your zone. The game's got 40 or so options that you can use to customize the games, so you can change how many projectiles are in, what types, how big their explosion radiuses are, how fast they go, how physics collisions work, and a bunch of other stuff. The main control difference between this and Warlords is that you don't just bounce the projectile off of your paddle: to deflect an incoming projectile, you have to either push it away with your Push beam, or capture it with your Capture beam (at which point you can aim and charge it so it will explode, and then push it away again... or just use it like a projectile shield =) )

http://www.gravitronixgame.com

I like you now. Teach me, sensei.

theSquid on
    edited October 2009
    Hmm? =) Oh, have you tried the game? Did you like it then? =)

VThornheart on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't tried it (yet) but I hugely respect your independent developer initiative.

theSquid on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Reminds me of Plasma Pong except without the fluid dynamics. And in a circle. And with more projectiles.

jothki on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks theSquid! =)

Plasma Pong? Ooh, I've never heard of it! I'll have to check it out. =)

I guess it is kind of like Pong in a way... though a bit more fiercely multiplayer, and with a bit more things you can do. We don't have fluid dynamics, but all the projectiles are moving through space according to a physics simulator (Bullet as a matter of fact... which was a pain to port manually to the Wii platform, but was worth it. It's a great physics engine!)

VThornheart on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not really sure if this is an indie game - it's more like a fan project - but I've been following a pretty ambitious title called Mushroom Kingdom Fusion for a while that mashes-up characters, mechanics and whatnot from various game series into a Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World-style platformer. It's far from a romhack, since most stages are either faithful recreations of existing levels or new levels made from scratch. There's already a large community contributing stages, sprites, ideas and testing; it's still very much a work in progress, but the team has just released their latest demo for download. Here are a couple of videos to give you an idea of what it's all about:

Grimthwacker on
    edited November 2009
    This thread cannot die! First, I must post about CAPTAIN FOREVER.

3900147590b6a3a22e83o.png

Gameplay is something like a blend of Tamuki Fighters, Warring Forever, Asteroids, and a roguelike. You can destroy the heart of enemy ships to make all their undestroyed building blocks fall off. Then you can glue all those parts onto your own ship as upgrades.

It's pretty challenging. Once you've been defeated in battle, you're pretty much back to square one. Oh, and all that ship building takes place in real time, as enemy ships prepare to hunt you down and kill you.

There's apparently objectives or something eventually? I don't know, maybe that's only the (not free) sequel.

Frem on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This thread cannot die! First, I must post about CAPTAIN FOREVER.

3900147590b6a3a22e83o.png

Gameplay is something like a blend of Tamuki Fighters, Warring Forever, Asteroids, and a roguelike. You can destroy the heart of enemy ships to make all their undestroyed building blocks fall off. Then you can glue all those parts onto your own ship as upgrades.

It's pretty challenging. Once you've been defeated in battle, you're pretty much back to square one. Oh, and all that ship building takes place in real time, as enemy ships prepare to hunt you down and kill you.

There's apparently objectives or something eventually? I don't know, maybe that's only the (not free) sequel.
    Sooo, it's like the Gummi Ship sections from Kingdom Hearts, except this doesn't suck. Pretty clever.

Grimthwacker on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I was enjoying it until my ship decided it wanted to start flying in circles no matter what engine configuration I used. And then the ships that have 3 times my range, one shot any part they hit, and fired volleys of 6 shots forwards and backwards showed up.

Morkath on
    edited November 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    I was enjoying it until my ship decided it wanted to start flying in circles no matter what engine configuration I used. And then the ships that have 3 times my range, one shot any part they hit, and fired volleys of 6 shots forwards and backwards showed up.

The different colored parts have different weights, which can be somewhat inconvenient.

I haven't figured out how to deal with epicly powerful ships yet. Getting multiple ones on your tail so that they accidentally shoot each other can help a bit. I've also had a few "duels" with my ship pressed against a destroyed notch on the larger ship shooting, with both ships going around in a spiral.

Frem on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Morkath wrote: »

The different colored parts have different weights, which can be somewhat inconvenient.

I haven't figured out how to deal with epicly powerful ships yet. Getting multiple ones on your tail so that they accidentally shoot each other can help a bit. I've also had a few "duels" with my ship pressed against a destroyed notch on the larger ship shooting, with both ships going around in a spiral.

I'm ok with that, except for the fact I don't have time to check weights, and reform my entire ship, I was only getting like 10 seconds before I was being attacked again. It needs at least the option of having a paused garage.

Morkath on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I kinda want a time dilation bubble for less frantic ship building.

The developer is doing this professionally; making a whole series of small captain forever games and iterating based on the feedback as he gets as he goes. He's already on the second one (which is not free), and it's apparently addressed some of the issues people had with this first one. I'm not sure if it addresses the lack of time for ship building, but I can't imagine he's not going to do something about that eventually.

Frem on
    edited November 2009
    Freeware games I've finished recently:

Lyle in Cube Sector: It's a metroidvania that was just the right length for me. I got killed a lot but it was never too frustrating. Good music, of course.

Nikujin: I'm pretty impressed with myself that I stuck with this game in order to beat it. Very challenging controls but it only takes 30 or 40 tries to get through when you're stuck.

Cho Ren Sha 68k: On the other hand, I did not try to stick with this one. Didn't even make it past stage 3. I still play for fun and can already tell I'm getting better, but I just don't care to practice for bullet hell games. Too much other stuff going on.

N: I honestly don't know why people like this game so much. Just not my thing.

Katakijin: Took me a very long time to get good at this, but I beat the boss in the end. The sense of accomplishment was a lot like Nikujin, and both games are fun when you're doing well.

Zombie Smashers X1: James Silva's original River City Ransom clone. Not quite as long or fleshed out as X2, but still worth brawling through it.

STACKER: Excellent inventory-based Tetris game set in the STALKER universe.

Hope someone is inspired to check these out.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
    edited November 2009
    Tim James wrote: »
    N: I honestly don't know why people like this game so much. Just not my thing.

It wasn't the first, (not even one of the first), but N was the first 2D platformer I played aside from the old Sonic games that had really a great physics engine. Since it was released, that particular characteristic of it has become somewhat less unique.

This, in addition to the map editor, may have helped contribute to it's popularity.

Frem on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've always found that the physics of N were the worst part of the game. I prefer tight Megaman X/Z style platforming to that floaty business. Even when I was used to the controls it still made no sense to me and put me off.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2009
    Just completed Ben There, Dan That! I can't get into adventure games anymore (although I haven't given up on them yet) but this was another example of a game that is the perfect length and difficulty level for me.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been playing Canabalt for the last three days. It's probably the single greatest Flash game I have ever played.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
    edited November 2009
    I've been playing Canabalt for the last three days. It's probably the single greatest Flash game I have ever played.
    I take it your eyes hurt.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not so much, actually.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast