As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA & PC] Gyromancer: Square-Enix & PopCap take on Puzzle Quest

123457»

• Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I managed to get a 5 chain once using the Green tree against another green tree thing. My poison was more or less negated by his vitality up so it just came down to avoiding my little "glob" attacks or whatever. I still ended up killing him since my only move set off a RUSH.

I dunno how I'd ever get to 7. It certainly doesn't help that cascades or combos or anything doesn't increase the meter at all. I could get a cascade of a 5 but it still takes 3 "twists" to go from level 1 to level 2 no matter what.

aBlank on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got a gyro chain pretty early in the game. I think there it was because there were plenty of matches on the board, but never anything with the ability gems.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is there a trick to cascades other than luck? I was on a cascade stone x5 for a while, but got tired of it. I moved over to a combo stone x7 and got an x5 cascade on the very first twist. If only that had happened on the first stone.

Peewi on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is there a trick to cascades other than luck? I was on a cascade stone x5 for a while, but got tired of it. I moved over to a combo stone x7 and got an x5 cascade on the very first twist. If only that had happened on the first stone.

Well I think the main way is to actually work it all out.

But in terms of tricks, the two main ways I can think of would be the same as PQ:

match stones at the bottom of the field, as this gives more movement after matching and therefore more chances to cascade.

leave lots of near-matches in the middle and top of the field. You could try to leave lots of lines of two around, or one way I like is to deliberately avoid blocking one particular colour for a while so you end up with lots and lots of it. This increases your chances of getting cascades.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I set mine up like this guy:
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5243/86543402.jpg

Note some of the upper left stuff is superfluous. Also, it's easier said than done (you tend to make a lot of matches by accident.) It prolly takes about the same amount of time to make this from scratch as to get a x5 by luck. However, the x7 you probably do want to set up manually.

So, I found out that bottom row of beasts was for the DLC. My curiousity got the better of me, and I bought it, since I oh so conveniently had enough points left after trying to get the original $15 worth.

The punchline? The DLC doesn't even work! (Or if it does, nobody knows how to access it. One thing I do know is that if I have to start over, I'll just eat the $3 and move on.)

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm running on Vista 32bit and didn't have a problem with the demo or the full game. No crashes yet either, but I haven't had the time for a >1hr session yet. I like gyromancer for a more casual aspect or just want some entertainment but can't commit to a full game of l4d2, etc. Playing this in windowed 16:9 is pretty great as I don't have to wait to alt-tab out and chat or read something online.

I didn't realize that breaking the chains was such a big problem and now I realize why there were times that my opponents would have active gems all over the board. I ended up counteracting this by focusing on offensive power beetle so that my explosions would break all of the enemy's gems after some manipulation. But man, I want to try playing some more with a better focus on chains.

Still enjoying the game quite a bit, I was expecting a puzzle quest-esque game with slightly different puzzle mechanics and I got that. I think I prefer the general matching of gems to the skull-based system that PQ had. But I'm still pretty slow at recognizing the correct patterns to match a twist.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    shiiiiiit. Round 10 in the Challenger's Door, fighting the Mantis, tons of health left, executed a move against his locked ability game and the game froze. (XBLA version)

Where do I send my complaints again?

EdS25 on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »
    (...)Particularly the Wasp and Cait Sith. I keep expecting the higher level ones to have better versions (i.e. bigger affected area) of their previous spells, but with few exceptions this isn't the case. I kinda wish it was free to switch them in and out so I could experiment more. Or have an "ability preview" beyond just the description. My favorite is still the beetle with the big 3x3 cross move. It's very reliable to be able to set up rushes with. (...)
    3rd rank wasp is crazy; you get locked lightning gemS(?, gotta check that), a poison and the last is a auto-ability that steals one enemy gem once it is filled up. Rank 1 and 2 wasp are completely useless though.
    3rd rank Cait Sith is similar but did no use it.

I miss my electro werewolf though (cant remember the name), because I haven't unlocked the 3rd rank but its most awesome ability is that enemy gems you explode with own ability gem is activated in your favor.

Gyro Chain: one 3rd rank monster has "raise combo level" as third ability but the previous ones do damage so still not that great. Going to try the tree vs tree-tactic someone mentioned.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The 3rd rank Ant (aka Dark Hunter) was really awesome. You can just get the purples going like mad. Plus he has several elemental strengths and no weaknesses. So you know, like the wasp, but good.

During the last few stages I always had him, the Phalanx/beetle (for tridents) and a Talos. The Talos (3rd tier stone guy) was pretty powerful, and it was easy to activate one of his abilities that would turn your opponents countdown gem to stone. He's not flashy like the previous two but man is he reliable.

Still waiting on a DLC solution .. . did anyone else buy it? I've actually heard a little bit about it from the PC folks and it sounds pretty cool. I like being super over-powered so I want that supposed screen-clearing Elder Dragon.

EdS25 on
  • Options
    Anonim1979Anonim1979 Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    My 7x Cascade Setup.

Very easy to make (a lot of unused space above and fairly resistant to surrounding gems) - 1-2 minutes setup and ready to go.

(Also on pic Match x6 and Combo x5 exemplary setups)

New link - as Imageshack has blackouts.
    On photobucket:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/anonim1979/7xCascade.jpg

(Also added Match x7 (x8) setup.)

Start from A gems. F should be probably placed before 2 connected E.

Anonim1979 on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thank you

august on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am enjoying this game a lot more than PQ because I have yet to react to Gyromancer like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv_XaPp-XIY

Though I'm not very far just yet I am in <3 with that original frost owl creature.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I tried out the method of just going for chains and I prefer this! (As opposed to constantly defending) It's a lot faster and well, generally easier to play this way.

But I hit the level cap with my Red Wyrm and then swapped him out. But then I realized, after reading here, that there are other ranks to get. Was this stupid of me to swap my red wyrm out? :( I'm only in the 3rd stage now.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arminas wrote: »
    So I tried out the method of just going for chains and I prefer this! (As opposed to constantly defending) It's a lot faster and well, generally easier to play this way.

But I hit the level cap with my Red Wyrm and then swapped him out. But then I realized, after reading here, that there are other ranks to get. Was this stupid of me to swap my red wyrm out? :( I'm only in the 3rd stage now.

You get the later versions of creatures from gyro codes. You can just switch again when you get that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Games like this need some sort of Puzzle Fighter-esque graphical representation.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    Games like this need some sort of Puzzle Fighter-esque graphical representation.

What do you mean?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Just got to Beasts Chase and the achievements for getting to the chests before the creatures is a pain.

Anyone know if there are any map resources online? The in game map is useless.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »

What do you mean?

If you've played puzzle fighter you'll notice they have two little dudes who smack eachother when blocks break.
    So in this game for example you'd see graphical representations of the two creature's fighting and whenever an attack is made, an animation will play.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My only complaints so far are:

1. Bug: Map overlay icons (one-way arrows/creatures/player/chests/etc) are sometimes WAY out of synch with the map graphic background. Like several on-screen inches on my 17" 1920x1200 monitor.
    I have no idea how to fix it, it seems a desgn flaw where one overlay stops scrolling when you get near map edges.

2. Optimization: Holy shit this game uses a lot of GPU RAM and system RAM for a freaking non-3D puzzle game. Surely there's a colossal memory leak, but I still can't figure why the engine is so demanding. My only guess is that it's optimized for a console, and ported sloppily to a PC platform.

3. Saving: It's annoying that you can't save while in a map, quit the game, and come back to your save point IN the map at a later time. Some maps take quite a while to reach the high score achievements, and not everyone has 2-3 hours all at once to sit and grind the score.

Even with the bugs, the game really is a lot of fun. I am liking it a lot more than Galactrix (fuck you, gate hacking) but still think the original PuzzleQuest was the best. I miss the little "extras" like crafting items and wearing equipment.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I haven't experienced that first thing at all. I play windowed, maybe that helps.

If you open the system menu and save and close the game, I'm pretty sure you'll be in the exact same spot when you load your save again.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    what's the X button do?

makes my screen all fuzzy

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    what's the X button do?

makes my screen all fuzzy

iirc, it replays the last move you did.

aBlank on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thanks for the x7 Cascade plan above!

those have been stopping me for a while.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm playing on xbox so as of yet no real technical issues to complain about.

Though I just ran into a map that taught me the importance of checking monster levels before attacking. Lvl 50 vs Lvl 25 is no fun at all.

Also, idle twisting punishment is BS when there are no moves on the board.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Good idea: Encouraging Gyromancer players to take regular breaks by auto-saving frequently.

Bad idea: Encouraging Gyromancer players to take regular breaks by crashing frequently.

Zoelef on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Worse idea: charging for DLC that does nothing at all. How did this get through MS cert?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, Spear Beetle. Is there anything you can't blow the crap up?

august on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    3. Saving: It's annoying that you can't save while in a map, quit the game, and come back to your save point IN the map at a later time. Some maps take quite a while to reach the high score achievements, and not everyone has 2-3 hours all at once to sit and grind the score.

I'm not sure what you mean, but you can save in a dungeon. Your score and monsters reset on exiting a dungeon, but you can definitely save in one.

august on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    Just got to Beasts Chase and the achievements for getting to the chests before the creatures is a pain.

Yeah that is causing me grief too.

Though I just ran into a map that taught me the importance of checking monster levels before attacking. Lvl 50 vs Lvl 25 is no fun at all.

True, it's pretty annoying.

This game is fun though. WANT MORE MONSTERS!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yeah that is causing me grief too.

True, it's pretty annoying.

This game is fun though. WANT MORE MONSTERS!

Want more DLC working!

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whats up with the DLC then? I've not tried it.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Apparently you pay for it, and then nothing happens whatsoever.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Apparently you pay for it, and then nothing happens whatsoever.

Correct. Someone on another board confirmed that nothing happens even if you start over (which was my worry). I sent an email to Square Enix Tech Support, and actually got a response pretty quickly, essentially asking me if I had played the first level and was sure it was purchased/installed correctly. I said yeah, and now haven't heard from them since (granted that was Wednesday before the holiday weekend). Hoping to hear something Monday. Sure doesn't say much for the supposed certification process.

EdS25 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anyone know how to transfer saves between steam installs?

august on
  • Options
    irajacobsirajacobs Registered User new member
    edited September 2010

Same problem for me, I've pretty much beat the game and just trying to wrap up some of the achievements. It's also hard to get 5000 points on some stages!

irajacobs on