As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recording console video (or: is the Adaptec Gamebridge really delay-free?)

LednehLedneh shinesquawkRegistered User regular
I've got a Diamond VC500 I bought several months ago in an attempt to record some PS3/360 videos onto my PC. It didn't work then and doesn't work now for one reason: crippling input lag, like a half second or so. Nothing to do with compression settings or frame size or capture software; the thing just can't do the job fast enough.

The solution apparently is to buy some RCA Y-splitters and run one end to a normal TV while the other goes into the VC500; however that's not a feasible solution without more heavy lifting and shuffling shit around than I care for (no TVs with composite in proximity). So instead I thought to myself "self, look for a cheap Adaptec Gamebridge, they're supposed to be lag free!"

Well, before I plonk down fiddy bucks on something I likely won't be able to refund, I ask you taverners with one of these Gamebridges: is the input really lagfree, or at least lagfree enough that I can play it through my capture software while recording (and I'm talking about Gitaroo Man here, so even a tenth of a second is kind of pushing it)? And if it isn't, does anyone have any other solutions on offer?

Thanks!

Ledneh on

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've tried playing music games on my Gamebridge and it's not so good. Even with adjustable lag compensation in the game (Guitar Hero), it isn't enough to offset the lag. At least, I couldn't get it to feel 100% correct as compared to playing on a real TV.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just split the audio/video cables, ya dummy.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Just split the audio/video cables, ya dummy.

Less expensive yeah, but like I said hideously impractical for me right now unless someone knows how to output composite or s-video to a monitor that only supports component, hdmi, vga, and dvi. :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think a lot of the sites that do video reviews use these -

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just split the video and pick up a cheap used 20" TV from Craigslist for like $20, assuming you've got a decent amount of desk space.

Yeah, your end (the image on the TV) will look fairly hideous because you'll be running composite at 480i, but it will be lag-free.

SmokeStacks on