As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your secret shame...

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taskmaster's UDON redesign is leagues better than his original outfit, which they went back to for some reason.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taskmaster's UDON redesign is leagues better than his original outfit, which they went back to for some reason.

I know, right? If he was in Simone's Deadpool with his current outfit Deadpool wouldn't have been able to stop laughing at him. It worked a lot better for someone who is supposed to be a mercenary who is actually good at his job.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When did he switch back to the old costume? I remember really liking his UDON look, but then I saw him in Moon Knight with his old gear. I'm just wondering if there was ever an in-continuity reason for him switching back.

In the future, all restaurants with be Taco Bell and all comic book art will be UDON.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What a terrible future, Taco Bell is gross.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Demolition Man was not a movie, it was a documentary.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    pfft I bet you can't even figure out the three shells either faynor

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish I bought the 50th anniversary Marvel chronology/history book that came out in 1989. I just never got around to it, and well... oops.

I could give it to Wiggin this year for Secret Satan: Congratulations. This was the state of Marvel Comics up to the year you were born.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    My secret shame is that I can't enjoy the Runaways under any writer.

I should really give the latter half of the original run a shot, but I didn't enjoy the first what.. 6 issues nor anything I've seen since then.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Caddy PowersCaddy Powers Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorry new here (sort off) so still getting the hang off quoting from other posts (i.e. I can't yet). This is my responce to two different discussions and my secret shame ....

1: Sorry a pet hatred of mine, Rorschach is meant to suck. That was the whole point of the character surely. Therefore any effort in trying to prove he sucks is pointless. I am sorry to point it out but it is worrying the amount of people who don't seem to get it. I have been caught one too many time with friends telling me that Rorschach is the only true hero in "Watchmen" as he does not compromise. Even if compromise is the only thing stopping the world blowing up. The people who state this are normally very smart people but when it comes to political ideologies, even smart people are usually very dumb.

2: As for the comic version of Hellboy and relationships, I have to disagree with the general trend of this thread. As I normally read my friends copy of Hellboy and I am currently in a different country them him at the moment, I have to do this by memory .... but I really loved the fact that there seemed to be an underlying tension between Hellboy and the older female BPRD research rather than Liz. I also liked that Liz was considerably average looking in the comics (at least compared to the film). BTW I actually prefer the first film to the comic series too ... I just don't agree with the fact that Hellboy himself was badly characterised in the comics.

Finally .... my secret shame .... I actually think Hellyboy 2 was not very goodcompared to the first. This is for the reason that I love to inflict the first Hellboy movie on all my non-comic book loving friends. When the film starts they all look at me as if I am forcing them to watch crap ... by the end they are converted to the sheer joy of no-brain-require-yet-well-scripted-and-acted-joy. Hellboy 2 maybe the better film, but it can't convert like Hellboy

Caddy Powers on
    It's not easy being the only Hank Pym fan in the world ...
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    To be more comic book focused ... I just can't get into 100 Bullets. Love the premise but can't get into the execution. I stopped reading after the first arch but friends have tried me to pull back in later with trades they think were far better than the opening. Nothing so far has ever made me think it is above the quality of a crappy TV movie of the week.

Caddy Powers on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, Hellboy was an alright film but it had plot holes you could drive a truck through and needed some serious editing. It is not the film I would choose to show to non-comic fans in an effort to convert them by any stretch of the imagination.

I was just really really shocked to go from Movie-Hellboy (surly attitude and problems with authority and dangerously unprofessional behaviour in combat situations) to Comic-Hellboy (polite, willing to work with others, doesn't make a hobby out of giving his bosses shit).

I like them both just fine, but they're like two entirely different characters with the same origin story. Hellboy 2 was even more jarring, because by that time I'd read some of the Hellboy comics so those differences (which if anything had been amplified) just stood out even more prominently.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have like 20+ issues of Gen 13...

I was going through adolescence at the time.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Virral,

I actually agree with your opinions on the film and frankly I did not think it would be a very good gateway drug to other comic book / sci fi / fantasy movies (which in turn maybe could get into comic books themselves) but I have found it far more effective then very highly regarded films such as The Dark Knight.

I think it is because outsiders to the genre expect comics to be shameful: cheesy, not well plotted etc. When seeing a film like The Dark Knight they think it is the exception to the rule rather than proof that they may enjoy superheroes.

I actually didn't enjoy the Dark Knight nearly as much as any of my friends, yet I can't use it as an example to get them to try other films nor to get into a discussion on the comic book Batman. Hellboy, on the other hand, because it lives up to their low expectations and yet they all seem to love it, gives me alot more stock when I insist that they will like something like Iron Man. Also as the source material is actually alot more interesting then the film, when I mention differences they are actually intrigued rather than bored.

Not sure why this is the case but I think it could be related to why I hear so often that the Long Halloween got people into (or back into) Batman but it only gets a very mixed response from people who regularly read Batman. It is probably also why I can get a number of people to read and enjoy Watchmen but they have no interest in reading anything else. Yes it is good but it is so self contained that it doesn't lead anywhere

Caddy Powers on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    To be more comic book focused ... I just can't get into 100 Bullets. Love the premise but can't get into the execution. I stopped reading after the first arch but friends have tried me to pull back in later with trades they think were far better than the opening. Nothing so far has ever made me think it is above the quality of a crappy TV movie of the week.

100 Bullets is a lot better as a huge stack of comics to read through all together than 1-2 arcs at a time I've found.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    DryghtenDryghten Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My secret shame is that I didn't really enjoy Arkham Asylum in it's comic form that much due primarily to the artwork and lack of comprehension as seemingly monumental moments went by.

Then I read the script at the end of the book, where some of the panels were explained, and some footnotes explained some of the more abstract Jungian/Freudian and biblical (which I completely missed) references, and I enjoyed it more / felt like a dumbass.

Dryghten on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arkham Asylum's probably my least favorite thing Morrison's done.

Munch on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I bought Exiles from beginning to terrible end. Terrible story arc's be damned.

delphinus on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did Wiggin run off after I admitted I'm old enough to be his father?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    He got banned

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    PerryPerry Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I guess it is carthartic, in a sorta Alcoholics Annonomus kind of way, that I make my first post in the secret shame topic.

I use to buy, on a regular basis, issues of DC's great series -

amethyst01.jpg

Yeah, this was when I was a high school freshman no less. There I was, walking home from school, cigarette in mouth, hair down to the middle of my back, in my Celtic Frost T-Shirt (metal band back in the day) with a brown bag from the LCS in hand, containing the adventures of the Princess of Gemworld.

Wow, that felt good to get off my chest.

In a totally related revelation, I also use to enjoy the, sadly, short lived CRYSTAR : the Crystal Warrior
    (anyone old enough to remember those figures? Made with the same gloss material they used for the Time Traveler (MICRONAUGHTS) figure :mrgreen:)

crystar_11.jpg

Perry on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is the only reference I've ever seen to Crystar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gto7FrRP8qM

see317 on
  • Options
    PerryPerry Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    This is the only reference I've ever seen to Crystar:

Ha, yeah, gotta love Robot Chicken. Between them and Family Guy, all items of my youth are always on display in some form or another.

Perry on
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I have every Spawn thing everyone's mentioned in this thread.

And I still buy it and like it so you can all go to hell.

Distram on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

Another of my secret shames (man I'm shameful), is that I desperately want to launch a revival of the first comic I ever read, The Defenders of Dynatron City. If I ever stumble ass backwards into a gigantic pile of money, I would love to take steps to buy that franchise.

I mean, one of the team members shoots his head off like a rocket and then flies by grabbing his own flying, severed head.

Awesome!

I'm sorry, there really is nothing shameful about that.

Thank you for reminding me of that comic/game. I loved it.

Distram on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    One fine day at the bookstore, I had a choice of buying either Venom: Lethal Protector #1 or Punisher 2099 #1. I went with Venom. To make up for it, though, I later bought issues of Hulk 2099 and and Spider-Man 2099. I couldn't find X-Men 2099, though ... :(

Also, I don't have a scan but does anyone remember Marvel's Sleepwalker #1? The cover was actually a paper mask for you to cut out.
    wikipedia wrote:
    "The character finally saw release in reaction to the DC Comics character Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman. Popular legend is that Marvel, at the time, announced in a press release that Sleepwalker was "Sandman done right", although it is not known if this is actually true."

I remember that shit. I bought it and still have it somewhere.

Distram on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    delphinus wrote: »
    I bought Exiles from beginning to terrible end. Terrible story arc's be damned.

There were more good Exiles stories than bad ones.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Unless you figure New Exiles into the mix.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What I read of New Exiles was pretty much entirely bad. But the original book was pretty consisantly excellent until the whole Worlds Tour arc or whatever it was, where it started getting a bit spotty and they Claremont took over and oh no we've descended into an awful ocean of terrible sloppy excrement and it's closed over our heads and we're drowning in it noooooo

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    TskTsk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Any series I get into and start to buy in order ends abruptly. Slingers, Danger Girl, Battle Chasers. It's all my fault!
    Now I mostly just buy trades and things seem to be fine.

Also, I got into Slingers and Darkhawk because of Spiderman.

Darkhawk.

Tsk on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tsk wrote: »
    Any series I get into and start to buy in order ends abruptly. Slingers, Danger Girl, Battle Chasers. It's all my fault!

Darkhawk.

Start buying New Mutants PLZ

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    delphinus wrote: »

Darkhawk.

Start buying New Mutants PLZ

I can only use my powers for evil, sorry.

Tsk on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got the Marvel trading cards first and second series, and the X-Men cards first series in a binder, hologram cards and all.

I've got I think like the first 20 or so issues of Spawn, and a figure thats like on a metal post thats on a rotatable stand with bats in flight in front of him.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    DryghtenDryghten Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »
    I've got the Marvel trading cards first and second series, and the X-Men cards first series in a binder, hologram cards and all.

I've got I think like the first 20 or so issues of Spawn, and a figure thats like on a metal post thats on a rotatable stand with bats in flight in front of him.

Oh man, oh geez. X-Men cards were the envy of every single kid ever when I was in elementary school. Oh the jealousy.

Dryghten on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh man,

the '95 fleer right?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dryghten wrote: »
    Staxeon wrote: »

Oh man, oh geez. X-Men cards were the envy of every single kid ever when I was in elementary school. Oh the jealousy.

Um...yeah. Except I was in high school when the x-men cards came out, 9th grade. I bought a box and had the whole set plus duplicates in one shot. It was disappointedly easy compared to the Marvels.

95 Fleer? Nope, Marvel series 1 was 1990!

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I still have the first x-men set, including all 5 gold hologram cards. I believe they were: Wolverine, Gambit, Cable, Magneto, and...I forget the 5th, maybe Cyclops?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Darkhawk.

Battle Chasers #10 is still coming out someday!

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

Darkhawk.

Battle Chasers #10 is still coming out someday!

Uh huh.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/10/joe-madureira-kicks-fans-of-battle-chasers-in-the-heart-via-dark/
    During our hands-on experience with Darksiders, Joe Madureira joked that he could hide all of Battle Chasers #10 throughout the game. Cruel, Madureira, cruel. If you're a fan of the comic, then you'll know that issue has been a long time coming. Like eight years long. Eight. very. long. years. Even at the glacial pace the book was used to, that's been more than enough time to finish the series.

We asked Madureira if there would be any hidden easter eggs featuring his artwork through the game, and he joked "Yeah, actually Battle Chasers #10 is scattered throughout the levels! Maybe I can finish it before the game comes out." We won't hold our breath, Joe. But seriously, when this game goes gold, please think about returning to the drawing board and putting that thing to bed. We'd love to read it.

Tsk on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm already planning on buying Darksiders, but if that were true, I'd pre-order the damn thing.

Hensler on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    To me a shame isn't something you like that few do. I mean.. I have a full run of the Sensational She-Hulk (I like shulkie and have a thing for comedy books). But that's no shame to me.

My shame is being duped in the early 90s into "speculation" by a shop owner who decided that he was going to convince every kid who walked in to buy 5 copies of every #1 of anything. ESPECIALLY first issues of indy black sploitation comics. Hence my 5 copies of Numidian Force and Brother Man. I have 5 (cause five is just the right ammount without being a serious collector *his words*) of Infinity Watch and Silver Sable !Shiney Cover!. Ugh..

cptrugged on