As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should I get a 3rd Gen iTouch, ZuneHD or...

2»

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whoah what now? Apple charges people for firmware updates? Fuck that noise.

My 30 gig zune got an assload of firmware updates that actually added quite a bit of new functionality. Like a couple UI updates, wifi song downloading and updating my channels while at McDonalds or Starbucks automatically. All of them for free too... o.o;

Don't worry about Apps on the zune, SpanWoof, more is coming.

Lucky Cynic on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

My 30 gig zune got an assload of firmware updates that actually added quite a bit of new functionality. Like a couple UI updates, wifi song downloading and updating my channels while at McDonalds or Starbucks automatically. All of them for free too... o.o;

Yeah and it's a double whammy when they force you to pay for firmware upgrades and if you say "I don't wanna" then they go, ok then the apps that you bought are going to start not working for you one by one as they update to the latest firmware. We are going to get your money one way or another mother fucker.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah and it's a double whammy when they force you to pay for firmware upgrades and if you say "I don't wanna" then they go, ok then the apps that you bought are going to start not working for you one by one as they update to the latest firmware. We are going to get your money one way or another mother fucker.

What if you don't upgrade your apps? Or are you forced to get the most recent versions?

KalTorak on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Few people have mentioned the Archos. My gf wanted an mp3 player a couple of years back, she wasn't bothered about the physical size of the device but wanted something with a large capacity. So I did a bit of research and bought her an 80gb archos av300 (I THINK it's a 300, I'll have to check).

She loves it, fantastic device, bit on the big size but does shed loads of stuff (and this is a two year old mp3 player). Good media playback, just appears as a portable hd on the pc (so no particular software required) and can be used to record off tv, which surprisingly comes in handy now and then. It's also got a fairly mammoth battery life on it which was important to her.

It's two years old now and has been treated incredibly rough, it's been dropped countless times, had drinks spilt on it and even ended up in the tumble dryer and is still going strong.

They're not the sexiest of devices but they are good.

That said, I think I'm getting an iPod Touch this Christmas. The Zune HD looks the better piece of kit BUT there's so much compatible with the iPods. The cardio equipment in the gym I go to has iPod connectors so you can use them with the Nike+iPod running software and also watch your videos on the little tv screens. My amp has an ipod connector, as does my car stereo.

Because of Apple's success if something is going to be integrated with an mp3 player, it's usually the iPod.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

What if you don't upgrade your apps? Or are you forced to get the most recent versions?
    It's kind of like playing Russian roulette. See you aren't forced to update your apps, but when an update to an app comes out and it's really awesome you want to update, but have a 1 in 10 chance of it not working anymore if you aren't updated to the latest iPod firmware. When I hit over 10 apps that no longer worked I grit my teeth and hit the purchase button on the firmware upgrade while silently cursing Apple under my breath.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had this exact same dilemma last week: iTouch or HD. (in fact I don't know how I missed this thread) You can find the dialog in the Zune thread, but in the end I chose the HD. (it's arriving tomorrow!!!)

I previously had a Zune 120 that died on me. So I had a ton of Zune Marketplace music, but very little else.

The decision basically came down to this: If I got the Zune HD, I'd be able to play HD movies on my TV; listen to HD radio; keep all my Marketplace music. If I got the iTouch, I'd have tons of apps (a functionality which may or may not soon be replicated when I get a Droid); a Kindle app (I own a Kindle but having this functionality on a device I take to work would probably cause a HUGE hit to my productivity - moreso than these forums :lol:); no radio and no HD output. That's really what it came down to for me - the only thing the iTouch had going for it was apps. I've played with both players quite a bit and the music experience on the device is essentially the same. (except wtf is up with the zune's volume control? rawr.)

However, one thing about the apps: 99% of Apple apps are about as worthless as your average "fart" app from what I've seen with friends who have iPhones. The most useful ones are Facebook/Twitter/calendar apps, which the Zune has or will be getting soon, Google maps, and Shazam. I don't understand why the Zune doesn't have Shazam yet because the synergy that app has with PMPs is just godawful amazing, but once it gets it I will squee with delight forever.

And if you're wondering if you'll use the Marketplace feature a lot - you will. I thought the same thing when I first got my Zune - I thought it might not be worth the $15 - and about an hour later when I headed to bed with 300+ songs queued to download, I realized how wrong I had been.

Spacemilk on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's kind of like playing Russian roulette. See you aren't forced to update your apps, but when an update to an app comes out and it's really awesome you want to update, but have a 1 in 10 chance of it not working anymore if you aren't updated to the latest iPod firmware. When I hit over 10 apps that no longer worked I grit my teeth and hit the purchase button on the firmware upgrade while silently cursing Apple under my breath.

But if you aren't forced to upgrade your apps or your firmware, doesn't your iPod work exactly as well after the firmware upgrade as it did before? You can keep your same apps and your same firmware and not pay anything and it all works as well as it did when there wasn't a new version.

KalTorak on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do they only charge for major updates, like 2.x.x to 3.x.x, or minor updates as well?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited November 2009

But if you aren't forced to upgrade your apps or your firmware, doesn't your iPod work exactly as well after the firmware upgrade as it did before? You can keep your same apps and your same firmware and not pay anything and it all works as well as it did when there wasn't a new version.

That's essentially saying, "Don't patch your games, that patch that will fix the crashes, or add a fuckton of functionality to the app you ALREADY BOUGHT, yeah don't get it and you won't have a problem." I also don't like the fact that I paid for access to the app store, but get diminishing returns if I don't keep paying to upgrade the firmware because more and more apps won't work for me as they come out and only work on it or update to it. It's a reasonable expectation to be able to patch and update your software without being gouged for it.

Do they only charge for major updates, like 2.x.x to 3.x.x, or minor updates as well?

So far major updates.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2009
    HAH! Apple just sent me a satisfaction survey out of the blue, I let them know exactly how I feel about what I've been talking about right here.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2009
    You can't reason with these people. D:

Lucky Cynic on
    edited November 2009
    Which people?

KalTorak on
    edited November 2009
    Which people?

Oh you know, "Those people." *finger quotes*

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2009
    Which people?

Oh you know, "Those people." *finger quotes*

I hate those people.

Wait. I mean, "those people."

KalTorak on
    edited November 2009
    Zune HD is sync'ing right now. So far it's sexahhh. The only downside has been that I actually have to restrict my collection on the device - didn't have that issue with the 120. But I knew that I was going to have that problem, so *shrug*.

I still can't get over how sleek and small it is. Makes the Touch seem fat and clunky. I do sort of wish it had a larger screen for movie-watching, but that will become mostly a non-issue once I get my dock.

Spacemilk on
    edited November 2009
    Posting from my ZuneHD. I <3 it! Ok it's not perfect but I suspect many of my issues have been due to my lack of familiarity with this thing. All issues aside though, this site is kinda ugly on my Zune.

Spacemilk on
    edited December 2009
    Well since my house was just robbed I guess I have to make the choice right now. I'm thinking sticking to the Touch for the near foreseeable future and if something better comes out in the next couple of years I can always upgrade to that. I'll get a simple 32gig Touch, but the question now is where should I get it? Seeing as there are sales going on all over the place and some places are offering giftcards with the purchase of an iPod I'm wondering where I should pick up my Touch.

Amazon has a good overall price 269 for a 32gig 3rd gen touch, but I'd like to check with you guys. Another thought is spending 299 and getting one at Best Buy but tacking on an extended warranty, then if something goes wrong with it I can trade up for the newest model down the road. This has worked out fantastically for me for the GBA, DS, and PSP for the last few years, just trading up when the current model breaks. Also keep in mind that I'm traveling to Europe on the 26th, so I'll need it by then.

The_Spaniard on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Do you have to own a Zune to have ZunePass? Is it a general service or is it tied to the Zune?

no, you don't at all. Though I don't know if the music you get from zunepass will work on non-zune pmps

I happen to be one that (currently, although I'm quite sure my wife is getting me an HD for Christmas) has no Zune but I have an iPod touch and still have a Zune pass subscription. Don't forget that Zunepass subscribers get 10 free songs per month (free as in DRM-free MP3's). I've also noticed a HUGE disparity between prices in the Zune marketplace and iTunes. I sometimes buy ambient electronica and the "songs" can be 30mins to an hour long. On iTunes the album (with two songs) will be a full $10.00 and the individual tracks will be "album only" which means you can't download them for $0.99. On the Zune marketplace you'll pay a couple of bucks for both songs and have them DRM-free. You can also use one of your free songs towards those tracks. So with the pricing for DRM-free MP3's and the prices for normal purchased songs, the Zune marketplace is still an amazing complement to my iPod touch.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zune Pass. End of story. If you don't understand the allure of Zune Pass then it isn't for you. Just get an iPod or whatever.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
    edited December 2009
    The Zune Pass does sound nice, but this is what I'm asking right now.
    Amazon has a good overall price 269 for a 32gig 3rd gen touch, but I'd like to check with you guys. Another thought is spending 299 and getting one at Best Buy but tacking on an extended warranty, then if something goes wrong with it I can trade up for the newest model down the road. This has worked out fantastically for me for the GBA, DS, and PSP for the last few years, just trading up when the current model breaks. Also keep in mind that I'm traveling to Europe on the 26th, so I'll need it by then.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2009
    Lucky Cynic on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Zune Pass does sound nice, but this is what I'm asking right now.

The 32 gig zune and ipod touch are pretty much in the same price category. I believe that $20 difference at THAT price point is meaningless and it all comes down to preference.

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think purely for apps I'd go for the ipod. I've been watching a few comparison reviews and I have to say I would rather have the Ipod Touch.
    The one down side is having to use iTunes, but I can manage that in a way that it doesn't take over my whole computer. And once you realise that it only needs to be used once or twice a week, that isn't so much of a pain.
    Having the ability to read books and organise my life on the same thing that plays music and videos is very attractive, especially seeing as I read alot of books on my now bloated Ipaq (in comparison anyway)

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited December 2009
    Idoliside wrote: »
    I think purely for apps I'd go for the ipod. I've been watching a few comparison reviews and I have to say I would rather have the Ipod Touch.
    The one down side is having to use iTunes, but I can manage that in a way that it doesn't take over my whole computer. And once you realise that it only needs to be used once or twice a week, that isn't so much of a pain.
    Having the ability to read books and organise my life on the same thing that plays music and videos is very attractive, especially seeing as I read alot of books on my now bloated Ipaq (in comparison anyway)

If it's apps, I suppose so. But if you want it for 90% else of the reason you got the device, Zune HD.:lol:

I seriously cannot stand itunes and how anyone can work around it

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    LeCaustic wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »

If it's apps, I suppose so. But if you want it for 90% else of the reason you got the device, Zune HD.:lol:

I seriously cannot stand itunes and how anyone can work around it

Has anyone tried using winamp, as I know there are two plugins that work with the ipod. One native with winamp and another which is a seperate plugin.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Part of me really wants a Zune HD.

On the bright side, sort of, the 32GB models aren't available in black. So I have a reason to hold off.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Part of me really wants a Zune HD.

On the bright side, sort of, the 32GB models aren't available in black. So I have a reason to hold off.

Well.... fuck. I was going to use the christmas money to buy a Zune HD in black. I initially was banking on not spending anything and getting the 16gig but I had a revelation and thought "Spend only $50 for a 32 gig!". But no black? That's a HUGE disappointment. I might as well order it online and get the most outlandish art design and have it in lavender*.

*I'm not saying those are bad choices, but that's my idea of how bad not having black is

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They are, in fact, available in black from zunestore.net. They just don't sell them in stores for whatever reason. It's the same price.

Mustachio Jones on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They are, in fact, available in black from zunestore.net. They just don't sell them in stores for whatever reason. It's the same price.

I stand corrected. I was planning to buy mine off Amazon (free shipping and discounts), like I bought my Zune 80, but Zunestore.net is always an option.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2009

My savior!

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One thing I did like about my zune hd was the ability to install home-brew stuff without doing anything shifty (unless you count installing a quarter gig of dev tools shifty) Unfortunately there's not a lot of really good home-brew, but it is there and it is getting bigger. I'm very disappointed with the apps MS has released so far and it seems like they're just not going to focus on it. I love the hardware, and everyone that sees it, techie or not, immediately gushes about the screen. The browser though is slow, and needs flash. And an email client and ebook reader would make the device legend. The pass sounds great and I did enjoy it during my trial, but I've ended up immensely more happy with an eMusic sub. That's just me though.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

edited December 2009
    Quantux wrote: »
    One thing I did like about my zune hd was the ability to install home-brew stuff without doing anything shifty (unless you count installing a quarter gig of dev tools shifty) Unfortunately there's not a lot of really good home-brew, but it is there and it is getting bigger. I'm very disappointed with the apps MS has released so far and it seems like they're just not going to focus on it. I love the hardware, and everyone that sees it, techie or not, immediately gushes about the screen. The browser though is slow, and needs flash. And an email client and ebook reader would make the device legend. The pass sounds great and I did enjoy it during my trial, but I've ended up immensely more happy with an eMusic sub. That's just me though.

Not like the original Zune had a fast growth spurt. I was appalled by the original zune advertising/idea. Then they got their shit together and there's this.

LeCaustic on
    kaustikos.png
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Too many threads with iPod in the name to choose correctly so don't get your panties in a twist if this is in the wrong location. I have the chance to get a 8GB iPhone on the cheap. It's a generation behind and I'm on Verizon network so it wouldn't be my phone but just a cheaper iPod Touch slot holder until I can afford an actual one. If I get it, will it be able to use wi-fi hotspots and things I would be using a iPod Touch for?

joshgotro on
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Too many threads with iPod in the name to choose correctly so don't get your panties in a twist if this is in the wrong location. I have the chance to get a 8GB iPhone on the cheap. It's a generation behind and I'm on Verizon network so it wouldn't be my phone but just a cheaper iPod Touch slot holder until I can afford an actual one. If I get it, will it be able to use wi-fi hotspots and things I would be using a iPod Touch for?

Sorta. If it was flashed back to its original state, it might need a working SIM card to fully activate itself (I don't mean activate it on the network). But once you get past that just set it to airplane mode and it should be fine. I think you can then take the SIM card out and that's it.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png