As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The "Mostly" Free Ravenwing Army: A Project Log

Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSporkRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
Ok so here's the deal. Those of you who have been following the 40k thread will know that recently I sent away for one of the new Ravenwing Battleforces and a box of terminators.

Here's the shipping order:
Blog_start_1.jpg

What I received almost gave me a heart attack.
Blog_start_2.jpg

That's right THREE battleforces instead of one. Long story short GW let me keep the other two since it was their mistake. So now I have 3 times the number of models I was planning on having and now have almost a full 1,500 point army at the cost of $90.

The point of this log will be to force me to actually get all this stuff painted. I may branch off a little bit as I still have some other Dark Angel stuff to finish, but this will mainly focus on the three Ravenwing Battleforces that I now own. I will try to post everyday, but because of some nasty class/work days I may not get much accomplished.

What I'd like from you the reader is simply comments and encouragement to get this stuff done!
So to start the ball rolling, here are the obligatory workspace pictures.

Construction area:
Blog_start_4.jpg

Painting area:
Blog_start_3.jpg

And some previously painted Dark Angel stuff:
DA3-20-07-4.jpg
Librarian Bauer

DA3-20-07-6.jpg
Predator Destructor. You can see the one Ravenwing biker I had from before. I was going to take a separate picture of him but the camera battery just died.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Librarian's ghost on

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn man. You are a very lucky dude.

I wish I had a painting area as nice as yours. I really have to stop having my computer desk double as my painting desk, just not working.

Best of luck. I await with eager anticipation.

Inquisitor on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First Update!

I cracked open the first box and here's what's inside:
    Blog_1_1.jpg

Lotta stuff there. Boy I need to take a break already and absorb the magnitude of this...

Ok that's enough time.

Here's the picture of my previously finished Biker. I do need to go back and refine my highlighting on black but I think I will be able to get that sorted out by the 2nd painted bike.
    Blo_1_2.jpg

Next update I'll start assembling. I'll try to build and then paint one Squadron at a time to not go completely crazy.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the bikers need squished bugs on the front

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    the bikers need squished bugs on the front

I was thinking of painting squish marks on the blast shields in front of the landspeeder pilots.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2007
    okay well how about like, spikes on top of their helmets like those WW1 german helmets some bikers like to wear

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    okay well how about like, spikes on top of their helmets like those WW1 german helmets some bikers like to wear

Methinks that would both get in the way of whatever that vent thing is on the top and make them look a bit too chaosy. I'll try it and see what it looks like though.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2007
    well if you did a good job of the spikes, like more spear tip than spike, then I think people would immediately recognize them as badass bikers.

also: chains wrapped around one of their fists. not sure if this one is possible, but damned if that doesnt say badass road brawler

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always thought the Ravenwing should look a little bit more dynamic than regular bikers, they do still have the Jink rule, right? They should be swerving and dodging all over the place, I'm not sure how plausible this is for a conversion though. Perhaps something like a cloak that can flap in the wind as they speed around, just something to make them look less static.

Looking great so far though, looks like you have the painting side nailed.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited April 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I've always thought the Ravenwing should look a little bit more dynamic than regular bikers, they do still have the Jink rule, right? They should be swerving and dodging all over the place, I'm not sure how plausible this is for a conversion though. Perhaps something like a cloak that can flap in the wind as they speed around, just something to make them look less static.

Looking great so far though, looks like you have the painting side nailed.

I was looking at that. I first had the idea to have some look like they are turning, but that doesn't really look feasible. I could always attach them to bases and try to make gravel look like it's being thrown out the back. I'll mess around with it a bit. The least I can do is make use of the spiffy "billowing" purity seals that are on the ravenwing sprue. That should at least give some sense of motion.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2007
    and god knows you should have enough of those billowing seals now

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    Remember that at high-speeds a motorcycle turns by counter-steering. ie, tilting the wheel in the opposite of the direction they want to turn and then leaning. Therefore, if you want to show when of you dudes turning just model the bike so it is leaning to one side or the other.

You could also have some guys popping a wheelie or something. Space marine motorcycles are kinda weird though cause their tires are so huge. I guess your best bet is stuff like seals and capes and what not to give them a sense of motion.

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2007
    and god knows you should have enough of those billowing seals now

I could quite literally cover a landspeeder with enough seals and freaking books to fill a large public library.

I'm also going to attempt to magnetize the weapon options on both the attack bikes and the landspeeders, though god know how. I'll cross that bridge when I actually build it.
    Remember that at high-speeds a motorcycle turns by counter-steering. ie, tilting the wheel in the opposite of the direction they want to turn and then leaning. Therefore, if you want to show when of you dudes turning just model the bike so it is leaning to one side or the other.

You could also have some guys popping a wheelie or something. Space marine motorcycles are kinda weird though cause their tires are so huge. I guess your best bet is stuff like seals and capes and what not to give them a sense of motion.

I'll see what I can do. There doesn't seem to be a lot of play with the biker parts without a significant amount of green stuff. Which I suck at.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2007
    have them all sport long, billowing ponytails sticking out the back of their helmets. awwww yeaaah

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    have them all sport long, billowing ponytails sticking out the back of their helmets. awwww yeaaah

That's getting a little bit White Scars for me. Also the Squadron Sarges are going to have the long flowing robes. That should help with the sense of motion. Nothing says authentic motorcycling than long flowing robes. :)

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2007
    I know some marines have big banner poles coming out of the power back on their armor. A few of those with banners flapping in the wind could help lend a sense of motion also.

Inquisitor on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    needs more sidecar

I know there's no rules for it, but god damn there should be a dude in a sidecar with a fuckin rocket launcher or something

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2007
    there should be imperial guard biker unit. how much speed can you get out of those thick tires and huge suit of power armor anyways?

long leather trenchcoat, german steel helmet and a pair of goggles is all it should take to ride a sexy hog

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    No sidecar rules???
    newimage.gif

Inquisitor on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    oh well

I take it back

and may I just say

fuck to the yeah

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2007
    oh well

I take it back

and may I just say

fuck to the yeah

Yea I got three of those bastards!

The banner idea is a good thought, but the Ravenwing have these eagle things behind them which would probably get in the way of a flowing banner. I do plan to try and make a 2nd Company standard bearer so he would at least have a billowing flag.

Librarian's ghost on

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What does the upgrade spure look like for the Ravenwing?

I really should have done a simlar thread for my black templar army
    Show how dusty the land raider was and how much is in the box things like that

Brainleech on
    edited April 2007
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What does the upgrade spure look like for the Ravenwing?

I really should have done a simlar thread for my black templar army
    Show how dusty the land raider was and how much is in the box things like that

It looks like this:
    Blog_1_3.jpg

However that picture sucks so here are the ones from Warseer.
    74009480.jpg
    74009481.jpg
    74009482.jpg

Also my partially completed Attack Bike
    Blog_1_4.jpg

Basically it has parts to make a master of the Ravenwing, it has parts for plastic Landspeeder Tornados and a plastic Typhoon along with a lot of various Ravenwing and DA stuff.

Librarian's ghost on

edited April 2007
    Oh man they have plastic attack bikes now? *envy*

Why! Back in my day...

Actually, it was kind of a pain in the ass cause you glued a metal side car to the bottom of a standard plastic bike. Due to things like gravity it was a pain to stay on.

Those new attack bikes look pretty slick.

Inquisitor on
    edited April 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh man they have plastic attack bikes now? *envy*

Why! Back in my day...

Actually, it was kind of a pain in the ass cause you glued a metal side car to the bottom of a standard plastic bike. Due to things like gravity it was a pain to stay on.

Those new attack bikes look pretty slick.

I was going to try and magnatize the guns on these but screw it, I won't be using anything but the Multi-Melta on them anyway.

I put one of the billowing seals on this one. I think it really helps with the whole "sense of speed" thing.
    Blog_1_5.jpg

Ok this one is about as far as I can built it till I paint the driver and gunner. The driver isn't glued in by the way.

And with that I'm out for the night. I need to head to class early in the morning.

Librarian's ghost on

• SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I always quite like the fact that the attack bike sidecar seat looks all padded. Does a marine in power armour really need cushioning to stop the seat hurting his back?

SUPERSUGA on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've always wanted to try and convert some marine bikers into a more upright hunched-over-the-handlebars motocross style position. Would take a bit of chopping, but I think it would look sweet. They look to me too much like they are cruising as they are.

You have enough stuff to try anything that takes your fancy, and still end up with a huge army no matter what. Experiment wildly, and post many pictures please.

Oh, and nice paint job on the ones you already had. Highlights could be a little cleaner (nitpick), but they really are of most excellent quality.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

edited April 2007
    Oh, and nice paint job on the ones you already had. Highlights could be a little cleaner (nitpick), but they really are of most excellent quality.

I completely agree with you. It was the first "black" model I ever painted and I plan to get a lot of practice in the future.:lol:

Librarian's ghost on