As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fashion] ver 37.4: the layering. This Time it's Personal!

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Yea be ware of the SE++ thread those guys were major assholes to me.

I think that's just how SE++ says "hello."

I posted a fit on there...then they went and googled my forum name found another picture of me and then started photoshopping it into some ridiculous images for like 3 pages. They really went out of their way to be major assholes. As opposed to some basic "that outfit sucks you dress like a ewok" which I think I could handle.

what a huge surprise

Casual Eddy on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have an Old Navy peacoat that cost me $20 about 5 years ago and it still in fine shape.

But it is getting replaced this christmas by my mom.

Burtletoy on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I have an Old Navy peacoat that cost me $20 about 5 years ago and it still in fine shape.

But it is getting replaced this christmas by my mom.

That seems inconvenient for your mom.

admanb on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I posted a fit on there...then they went and googled my forum name found another picture of me and then started photoshopping it into some ridiculous images for like 3 pages. They really went out of their way to be major assholes. As opposed to some basic "that outfit sucks you dress like a ewok" which I think I could handle.
    Jesus. O_o They don't seem to be so bad nowadays, but if someone takes the piss out of you, remember that some of them there do look ridiculous in anything anyway. Now that I do think of it, they do sometimes act with a bit of the ol' bullying mentality there.

Cyvros on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

ahaha this sounds amazing, link?

scrivenerjones on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SE++ isn't bad, just remember cocksdickslol

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dunno that sounds pretty bad!

Casual Eddy on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SE++ is horrible. Avoid it at all costs. There are a significant number of shitcocks over there.

Houn on
    edited November 2009
    Note that I'm one of the SE++ers, but not one of the shitcocks. :P

Cyvros on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey,
    I was hoping someone might have some tips on a good, comfortable dress/business shoes that will still be good for walking. I know it sounds like some strange hybrid, but I'm about to retire a fantastic pair of brown Rockport moccasin toe slip-ons that I've loved to death. Unfortunately, I've worn holes completely through the bottoms around the balls of my feet, so I guess it's about time to let them go.
    Not exactly these but they're as close as I have found:
    shoes_ia74540.jpg

Anyways, I was just going to go get another similar pair, but figured that their might be a better option out there. The only time I don't wear them is when I can't be bothered enough to put socks on, or if I'm being forced to wear something a bit more casual because mismatched argyle socks with dress shoes and cargo shorts "is absolutely awful" according to the few people I go out with who care about that sort of thing at all. I guess I want something nice enough to wear to the office, comfortable/ durable enough to jog there in, and that I won't be offending anyone if I wear with shorts.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2009
    I don't really think those shoes you posted would especially qualify as "dressy". They look like sport mocs or something like that.

As a rule, if it's dressy, you cannot jog in it comfortably. Offhand, I can't think of any real exceptions to this rule.

Also, if they look okay with shorts, they're probably not really fitting in at the office.

The only thing I can think of that might be the rough geometric mean of what you're looking for might be Sperry top-siders? They're comfortable (though not really made for jogging), they're preppy enough that they would pass for moderately dressy among maybe 70% of people (?) and they do not look out of place with shorts (though you would need to wear either very short socks or no socks).

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I don't really think those shoes you posted would especially qualify as "dressy". They look like sport mocs or something like that.

As a rule, if it's dressy, you cannot jog in it comfortably. Offhand, I can't think of any real exceptions to this rule.

Also, if they look okay with shorts, they're probably not really fitting in at the office.

The only thing I can think of that might be the rough geometric mean of what you're looking for might be Sperry top-siders? They're comfortable (though not really made for jogging), they're preppy enough that they would pass for moderately dressy among maybe 70% of people (?) and they do not look out of place with shorts (though you would need to wear either very short socks or no socks).

This. I get a lot of mileage out of of my topsiders.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Topsiders ftw. A friend of mine has a pair that he's been using since he started sailing. They smell like death but they hold together.

jimbo034 on
    edited November 2009
    It's bad when you have to throw out shoes before the tread is gone. Sailing creates the worst smelling shoes on the planet.

Doodmann on
    edited November 2009
    Doodmann wrote: »
    It's bad when you have to throw out shoes before the tread is gone. Sailing creates the worst smelling shoes on the planet.

Truth.

My wetsuit still smells like the harbor and I havent used it in 2 years.

jimbo034 on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    jimbo034 wrote: »

Truth.

Well, you are from Halifax? Did they stop pumping raw sewage into the harbour yet? :P

Also, salt water smells can usually be eliminated, a little vinegar and water gets the smell out of my neoprene water gear.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They stopped pumping shit into the harbour briefly, but then the sewage plant broke down because they forgot about power outages in the design.

Bostonian make some fine shoes that are eminently comfortable and classy.

Robman on
    edited November 2009
    Corvus wrote: »

Truth.

Well, you are from Halifax? Did they stop pumping raw sewage into the harbour yet? :P

Also, salt water smells can usually be eliminated, a little vinegar and water gets the smell out of my neoprene water gear.

Deck shoes are another monster entirely. The smell is not of this world.

Doodmann on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

ahaha this sounds amazing, link?

Die in a ninja infested, prison rape, STD fire. kthxbai

Also I loves me topsiders but they are about a half size to a size too big without socks so at some point I will have to get some new better fitting ones that don't give me blisters.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited November 2009
    Corvus wrote: »

Truth.

The treatment plant's backup generators failed during a big storm last year and the whole facility got flooded. It's worse than ever now. I only got to sail a few times this year because I moved out to calgary for school in august.

jimbo034 on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I miss Medo, what happened to her? She was always encouraging me to buy ridiculous things for the sake of fashion.

animale on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    animale wrote: »
    I miss Medo, what happened to her? She was always encouraging me to buy ridiculous things for the sake of fashion.

I think she was banned by request.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone seen a hip looking navy hopsack blazer for casual wear recently?

I'm a jeans and casual tie guy, and would love to find a nice slim(ish, I'm a 44/46L) hopsack blazer to pair with that.

zenpotato on
  • MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Hey,
    I was hoping someone might have some tips on a good, comfortable dress/business shoes that will still be good for walking. I know it sounds like some strange hybrid, but I'm about to retire a fantastic pair of brown Rockport moccasin toe slip-ons that I've loved to death. Unfortunately, I've worn holes completely through the bottoms around the balls of my feet, so I guess it's about time to let them go.
    Not exactly these but they're as close as I have found:
    shoes_ia74540.jpg

Anyways, I was just going to go get another similar pair, but figured that their might be a better option out there. The only time I don't wear them is when I can't be bothered enough to put socks on, or if I'm being forced to wear something a bit more casual because mismatched argyle socks with dress shoes and cargo shorts "is absolutely awful" according to the few people I go out with who care about that sort of thing at all. I guess I want something nice enough to wear to the office, comfortable/ durable enough to jog there in, and that I won't be offending anyone if I wear with shorts.

I strongly recommend that you look in to a pair of Ecco shoes.

Mosati on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mosati wrote: »

Oh man, I bought my first pair about five years ago... and loved them so much that I bought a second pair last year. They are awesome shoes.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited November 2009
    I'd Ecco that sentiment. (har har)

Really great shoes though. Good looking too.

zenpotato on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chanus on
  • MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

Oh man, I bought my first pair about five years ago... and loved them so much that I bought a second pair last year. They are awesome shoes.

I uh, I own five pair. I get a discount. Don't judge me.

[EDIT] I have something similar: http://www.ecco.com/int/en/collection/men/business/49804/00101/detail.do (bit of square tone instead of the rounded, in the same style)

Mosati on
    edited November 2009

I uh, I own five pair. I get a discount. Don't judge me.

I bought mine at DSW for like $60 =)

Chanus on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

those are really fucking terrible-looking. glad they are comfy though :mrgreen:

scrivenerjones on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, instead of getting a hat... I decided to grow my hair out and hopefully that will keep my head warm in the winter.

Bad idea?

Possibly.

I usually get a very short hair cut because I find having longer hair to be more work. Someone posted a link a long time ago in this thread about cool hair cuts for men, but it was for a round or oval (don't remember) head shape. I am not aware of my head shape to find out what the ideal hair cut for me is : \
    tmpphp8vs3t5.jpg

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oval, that length looks good, just get the sides cleaned up.

Or you can go shorter, I'm sure it will look fine.

So It Goes on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2009
    Shoes:

I really really like Alden shoes but they are wicked expensive. Most of the other shoes I wear are Allen Edmonds, which are I guess a decent compromise. I also have a pair of Florsheim cordovan wingtips that I love, but I have heard that their non-cordovan shoes are not good anymore.

I have not tried Ecco shoes. They look a little clunky, but then again if you are wearing them more than to and from the office, I guess that there has to be a middle ground. I would absolutely recommend against Stacey Allens. They are garbage.

Blue blazer:

The blue blazer I have is a Hickey Freeman. It's made of a cashmere/ wool blend, is fairly sheer and has the bright brass buttons. It's a nice coat but I find myself not wearing it as much as I could because the details are just so achingly preppy.

I guess if you're going to wear a navy blazer semi-casually I'd recommend finding some manufacturer that makes one without the brass buttons, and you would probably be fine with a poly/ wool blend. I love most Brooks Brothers coats but they are probably too expensive for what you are looking for. Maybe HSM?

I don't have direct experience with Anderson-Little, but have heard good things about their blazer? Its supposed to be basically indestructible. Your mileage may vary but I'd recommend finding some alternative buttons to the shiny yellow brass ones if you have the opportunity.

http://andersonlittle.com/

edit: Oh I would recommend against succumbing to the temptation to go to Men's Wearhouse. The salespeople can be helpful but I have found myself eventually resenting and throwing out all my Joseph & Feiss clothing over time. It really is not high quality.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shoes:

I have not tried Ecco shoes. They look a little clunky, but then again if you are wearing them more than to and from the office, I guess that there has to be a middle ground.

Ecco shoes are usually presentable but dull, dull, dull, looks wise. Quality and comfort wise they are excellent however, so if the intent is to buy shoes that provide lasting comfort for a reasonable price while not looking out of place in most work environments they have several winning models. If you, like me, value looks a fair bit as well, then they are probably not a leading candidate for purchase.

Stolly on
    edited November 2009
    Shoes:

Blue blazer:

The blue blazer I have is a Hickey Freeman. It's made of a cashmere/ wool blend, is fairly sheer and has the bright brass buttons. It's a nice coat but I find myself not wearing it as much as I could because the details are just so achingly preppy.

I guess if you're going to wear a navy blazer semi-casually I'd recommend finding some manufacturer that makes one without the brass buttons, and you would probably be fine with a poly/ wool blend. I love most Brooks Brothers coats but they are probably too expensive for what you are looking for. Maybe HSM?

I don't have direct experience with Anderson-Little, but have heard good things about their blazer? Its supposed to be basically indestructible. Your mileage may vary but I'd recommend finding some alternative buttons to the shiny yellow brass ones if you have the opportunity.

http://andersonlittle.com/

edit: Oh I would recommend against succumbing to the temptation to go to Men's Wearhouse. The salespeople can be helpful but I have found myself eventually resenting and throwing out all my Joseph & Feiss clothing over time. It really is not high quality.

I'm absolutely not a brass buttons kind of guy. I think I was hoping to go way in the opposite direction of preppy. Ideally, something even hipster-ish, but still a well-made garment. I'm not looking for a crappy blazer from Urban Outiftters, but I'm also not looking for the stock blue blazer like I used to have to wear when I worked security at an arena.

And for some reason I'm fixated on the cloth being hopsack. I love the texture.

zenpotato on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    gilt is having a final sale so good stuff is going for up to 90% off msrp. I picked up a few pants and shirt from Rag and Bone. invite if you need it.

animale on
    edited November 2009
    I wish I could give you better advice than I have. I just haven't much experience with navy blazers outside the few I've owned and rarely worn as a result of the brass buttons. I did have one blue sportcoat with blue buttons from Eddie Bauer (via ebay), but decided it was garbage and I threw it out.

I guess I would say that hopsack doesn't seem to mean anything other than a course basketweave, so you're not really on the hook for any kind of expensive material in order to meet your requirements. I also would probably recommend replacing the buttons rather than looking for a blazer that already has the buttons you want.

If you want to avoid looking like a prep, you might want to reconsider the "navy blazer" and go with another color or style. The navy blazer is pretty iconically preppy.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited November 2009
    Remember that if you find one with brass buttons, you can probably also find a new set of buttons somewhere (I found suit buttons are the easiest sets to find around where I am) and get a tailor or a dry cleaner to swap them for you.

Cyvros on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I might just have to wait until I get back to the US before I do some major clothes shopping, am I pretty much limited to a K mart style store and online, which seems a little risky too me since I am some what oddly shaped.

Although I will be going to Seoul and I know that they will have a lot of clothes, is there anything specific that I should look out for that I might not see in the US?

Fizban140 on
  • AllatarAllatar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hi fashion thread!
    Ok, so i just got this pair of sneakers:
    0000%20ss09%20pics%20932%20013_thumb.jpg
    The thing is that I'm having second thoughts so I decided to get off lurker mode and ask you if they are nice or not.

Allatar on
This discussion has been closed.