As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nobody seems to have the testicles anymore to go "okay we just lost, let's hitch up our pants and play better"

instead everyone goes "wah wah they are winning it's not like anything i do helps" and curl up in a ball
    The people I play with generally don't give up, which is nice.
    inlemur wrote: »
    it's incredibly important to have someone filling the "team commander" role (in vs/scavenge, you can be more democratic in campaigns). It doesn't really matter what particular decisions he makes, so long as there is one person making decisions quickly and keeping people focused. I've seen teams of awesome players go down to inferior teams because either nobody was being assertive, or everyone was trying to be the commander. This was true of L4D1 as well, but scavenge mode really highlights the importance of this.
    This, a thousand times this. When lemur joined the opposition halfway through the scavange game last night it became instantly apparent that he had taken the lead and the group was working together a lot better. Meanwhile in our camp, I was calling the shots for our team, and like I posted last night:

c2m1_highway0003.jpg

It got pretty damn close. The game had to use its tiebreaker to decide the winner.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    What I usually do is shift+walk. It's faster than crouch walk and it will hide your versus presence. You don't get the same accuracy boost as crouch, however.
    Flashlight doesn't matter. In-game voice and automatic character responses (RELOADING) do though.

This is more in line of what I've experienced. And I'm pretty sure all actions, such as opening doors, will make you visible again. Even if you don't yell reloadin'.
    Also, voice chat.

Movitz on
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crouch walking without a flashlight is required strategy in Vs for dealing with a player infected whose location is obvious but you don't want them knowing when you're going to round the corner.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ACSIS wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    Does flashlights matter in L4D2, because they didn't in the first game? Anyone to confirm this?
    I'm usually a sneaky fucker with a sniper rifle, I need to know this fact.

Also, the times I've blown my invisibility due to voice chat because I forget I'm not on TS are numerous.

They do in BOTH games. Its a well guarded secret. I sometimes noticed survivors seemed to "fade out" (the lines around them in undead view) when standing still. You only achive that by turning the flashlight off and stop moving. So turn your flashlight off whenever possible but do not run into any dark rooms without the flashlight. Because you are on the move then and storming into a dark room with no vision is really not that advisable.

If you do this little trick you will notice people start calling you a cheater but it is really a gameplay mechanic. I think its even in the manual if my memory serves me right. Its certainly not common knowledge judged by the majority of people i encountered in L4D VS games. Also slowwalk helps to move without showing up. You CAN sneak in this game. Of course its not possible to move rapidly through a level like that, just for certain situations. Glad to be of service.

Weaknesses: The common Infected is about as durable as a 1000-year old vase. Two to three bullets from the pistol to the torso is normally enough to take them down, and a single shot to the head is an instant kill. They fall like flies to the advanced weapons like the semi-automatic shotgun, hunting rifle, and assault rifle. They also can't hear at all, allowing you to sneak up on them and bash them in the back for an instant kill. If you have ever played Halo, you know how this mechanic works. However, your flashlight must be off and you must be walking or crouched.

source:http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/02/left-4-dead-guide-how-to-identify-a-zombie/

And because its not common knowledge its a good tactic for avoiding damage.

Its just like the two guys with the lion coming to their tent.
    "Why are you tying your shoes you can't outrun a lion?"
    "I just have to outrun YOU."

You can't really blame me for them not reading up their manuals, can you?

Sometimes, when a horde is coming, and you're seperated, running into a closet and turning off your light can make the horde ignore you entirely.

Joe K on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Joe K wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    Does flashlights matter in L4D2, because they didn't in the first game? Anyone to confirm this?
    I'm usually a sneaky fucker with a sniper rifle, I need to know this fact.

Also, the times I've blown my invisibility due to voice chat because I forget I'm not on TS are numerous.

They do in BOTH games. Its a well guarded secret. I sometimes noticed survivors seemed to "fade out" (the lines around them in undead view) when standing still. You only achive that by turning the flashlight off and stop moving. So turn your flashlight off whenever possible but do not run into any dark rooms without the flashlight. Because you are on the move then and storming into a dark room with no vision is really not that advisable.

If you do this little trick you will notice people start calling you a cheater but it is really a gameplay mechanic. I think its even in the manual if my memory serves me right. Its certainly not common knowledge judged by the majority of people i encountered in L4D VS games. Also slowwalk helps to move without showing up. You CAN sneak in this game. Of course its not possible to move rapidly through a level like that, just for certain situations. Glad to be of service.

Weaknesses: The common Infected is about as durable as a 1000-year old vase. Two to three bullets from the pistol to the torso is normally enough to take them down, and a single shot to the head is an instant kill. They fall like flies to the advanced weapons like the semi-automatic shotgun, hunting rifle, and assault rifle. They also can't hear at all, allowing you to sneak up on them and bash them in the back for an instant kill. If you have ever played Halo, you know how this mechanic works. However, your flashlight must be off and you must be walking or crouched.

source:http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/02/left-4-dead-guide-how-to-identify-a-zombie/

And because its not common knowledge its a good tactic for avoiding damage.

Its just like the two guys with the lion coming to their tent.
    "Why are you tying your shoes you can't outrun a lion?"
    "I just have to outrun YOU."

You can't really blame me for them not reading up their manuals, can you?

Sometimes, when a horde is coming, and you're seperated, running into a closet and turning off your light can make the horde ignore you entirely.

Oddly enough, this tends to be what I do in real life during stressful life circumstances.

Melkster on
    edited November 2009
    Does using a silenced submachine gun allow you to stay "invisible" while shooting?

Melkster on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm split on scavenge. It seems much more likely for one team to just get constantly rolled. I think I've been in one PA game, maybe two, that has been close, but all the others I've been in there have been scores of 2-10 or so. Because of the shortness of the rounds and overall game I get much more frustrated with losing in scavenge.

Unearthly Stew on
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shooting makes you instantly visible. So high damage, low fire rate arms are the best choice for this because you only apear briefly. Firing a UZI full auto will blow your cover totally, of course. Well, what did you expect?

Silenced SMG... no clue. Are there any in L4D2?

ACSIS on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    All scavenge needs is for the winning team to go first. That would balance it out almost completely.

Also, the scavenge maps need to be harder. They need tanks, they need witches, they need real amounts of common infected. People should not be consistently getting 16 cans.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited November 2009
    Shooting makes you instantly visible.

Yeah but... That one uzi has a silencer. I was asking if it was an exception to that rule.

Melkster on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember reading it doesn't and the silencer doesn't add anything of value.

Alegis on
    edited November 2009
    Scavenge just seems like it's really hard to turn around. Like, harder than a vs round, since you have less time to try to coordinate with your teammates. It's possible, but really difficult. I kind of wish there was a way to make it scramble teams every round, just to see if that would be a fun way of playing it.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, what, the difference between the uzis is only in style? Is it the same for the two starting shotguns?

Quaz and Wally on
    edited November 2009
    The starting shotguns have a different spread I think.

Unearthly Stew on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, what, the difference between the uzis is only in style? Is it the same for the two starting shotguns?

Not sure how I would quantify it, but it appears that the silenced SMG has lower damage and less accuracy, but the standard SMG has a much better attribute for both. I can't say for sure that one has a higher rate of fire than the other, they both appear to shoot rather fast..

DietarySupplement on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the silenced SMG has higher damage and less accuracy, making it the preferable SMG unless you're using a melee weapon (and the better one to laser sight)

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited November 2009
    Scavenge just seems like it's really hard to turn around. Like, harder than a vs round, since you have less time to try to coordinate with your teammates. It's possible, but really difficult. I kind of wish there was a way to make it scramble teams every round, just to see if that would be a fun way of playing it.
    It ends so fast w/ best of three; just tell everyone to re-random up in the lobby.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited November 2009
    Yes, you can re-random in the lobby, but that's not quite the same idea though. Basically I'd like to see something that forces players to work with new players. If one team is in the groove of things and the other isn't yet the game is probably going to go in their favor, why even stick around to get rolled at that point? I'm not advocating this being done in all of the scavenge games all the time, just as an option that people can vote on or something.

Basically I'm thinking something along the lines of arena mode in TF2 where it will scramble teams after every complete round.

Unearthly Stew on
    edited November 2009
    Shooting makes you instantly visible. So high damage, low fire rate arms are the best choice for this because you only apear briefly. Firing a UZI full auto will blow your cover totally, of course. Well, what did you expect?

This doesn't make any sense. It' takes like 10 s for you to go invisible, shooting a 2 s burst or a 10ms sniper shot won't really make a difference, they will have time to find you.

I'm going to find some friends to try the flashlight thing later tonight, will return with empirical evidence.

Movitz on
  • TreTre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Am I doing it wrong here? I'm suffering from severe drops in frame rate that I don't think I should be getting. My system is as follows:

Windows 7
    C2D E8400 OC @ 3.6GHz
    2xHD4890s in Crossfire @ 850/1050 (Catalyst 9.11)
    4 GB RAM

I could run L4D1 with a constant 100+ FPS with it dropping down into the 60-70 FPS range when there was a lot of action on the screen. This was with all settings maxed including AA and AF. In L4D2 with no AA and AF only at 4x, my FPS drops into the 40s when there is a lot of action and sometimes in the 50s with barely anything going on. I can't imagine L4D2 is that much more graphically intense than L4D1. I have multicore rendering off. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Tre on
    edited November 2009
    I was adjusting my heapsize in the advanced properties console thing, and that was completely fucking up my demo. If you have that, I would suggest removing it.

Quaz and Wally on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm split on scavenge. It seems much more likely for one team to just get constantly rolled. I think I've been in one PA game, maybe two, that has been close, but all the others I've been in there have been scores of 2-10 or so. Because of the shortness of the rounds and overall game I get much more frustrated with losing in scavenge.

you are not alone, the number of ragequitters in this mode is RIDICULOUS. people leave the games over the slightest annoyance, which makes it impossible to form a working team, people log in, notice they are on the losing side (well duh, no team, no win) and log out just as quickly.
    i have rarely seen the losing team consisting of the same members after one round, which is remarkable, considering a round is only two minutes.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited November 2009
    carmofin wrote: »
    If one team is in the groove of things and the other isn't yet the game is probably going to go in their favor, why even stick around to get rolled at that point?

you are not alone, the number of ragequitters in this mode is RIDICULOUS. people leave the games over the slightest annoyance, which makes it impossible to form a working team, people log in, notice they are on the losing side (well duh, no team, no win) and log out just as quickly.
    i have rarely seen the losing team consisting of the same members after one round, which is remarkable, considering a round is only two minutes.
    You guys must be playing with the wrong crowd, but also, Stew, quitting isn't going to help anyone.

Scavange is made perfectly possible by some focus and team-work. Identify your main problems and solve them. If you have weaknesses then you just have to work around them or fix them; it's by no means a case of being inherently destined to lose.

The most common weaknesses, for example, are:

1) Splitting up
    2) Not covering each other
    3) No communication
    4) Lack of individual skill

Each of these things can be solved or compensated for fairly easily with some level-headed application of authority.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Paladin wrote: »
    the silenced SMG has higher damage and less accuracy, making it the preferable SMG unless you're using a melee weapon (and the better one to laser sight)

Which doesn't make much sense, doesn't it? I thought silencers were a determent to weapon damage, traditionally, in vidja games?

DietarySupplement on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tre wrote: »
    Am I doing it wrong here? I'm suffering from severe drops in frame rate that I don't think I should be getting. My system is as follows:

Windows 7
    C2D E8400 OC @ 3.6GHz
    4 GB RAM

I could run L4D1 with a constant 100+ FPS with it dropping down into the 60-70 FPS range when there was a lot of action on the screen. This was with all settings maxed including AA and AF. In L4D2 with no AA and AF only at 4x, my FPS drops into the 40s when there is a lot of action and sometimes in the 50s with barely anything going on. I can't imagine L4D2 is that much more graphically intense than L4D1. I have multicore rendering off. Anyone else experience anything like this?

I've been told x64 bit Windows with ATI cards have run into some issues, are you using Windows x64?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Being able to switch up your strategy on the fly is pretty essential for scavenge too.

If you're heading for the furthest cans and running back, being able to assess if you can quickly grab those extra two just round the corner from the generator and throw them forward while your teamates fill up the ones they have if pretty useful.

This ties in to communication too, if you're not constantly talking to your teammates, informing them of where you are and where the infected are, what they are doing etc. you're going to get caught up and slowed or incapped.

To be fair though, sometimes a team just gels better than another and can do all those things after forming a basic strategy at the beginning of the round.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If you're shooting on full auto nonstop you're probably doing it wrong.

Quid on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    if you're playing scavenge without a team who already knows each other, you're already at a disadvantage

the key to scavenge is really working together with people - preferably people with whom you've worked before. otherwise it's like wrangling cats. blind, retarded cats.

Evil Multifarious on
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah but that defeats the purpose of the whole mode.
    if i want to get serious i play campaign or versus.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • TreTre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ronya wrote: »

Windows 7
    C2D E8400 OC @ 3.6GHz
    4 GB RAM

I've been told x64 bit Windows with ATI cards have run into some issues, are you using Windows x64?

Yeah. Windows 7 64 bit. There might be something to that as I was running on Vista 64 bit before. I clean installed Windows 7 last night, reinstalled L4D2 and I'm still having the same issue. I'll have to look into it. So far, all my other games are running fine. Thanks.

Tre on
    edited November 2009
    EMPIRICAL DATA ACQUIRED :

Flashlight has got jack shit to do with invisibility
    Going invisible takes ~5 s
    Opening doors won't break invisibility (new to me)

So, yeah, there's that.

Movitz on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Windows 7
    C2D E8400 OC @ 3.6GHz
    4 GB RAM

I'm on x64, I don't know about him, but the last patch, which supposedly fixed some performance issues, gave me performance issues.

I've the exact same setup as him, except that I have a single HD4850, but I had constant 60fps (Vsync on), which would dip to 50fps at most, in really intense moments. But ever since the patch, I'm getting random dips, all the way down to 40fps. You may think that it's not a bad thing because it's over 40fps, but since I have V-Sync on, when my game drops to 40fps, my mouse response goes down with it, so I get a jerky aim that stops completely.

Satsumomo on
  • inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scavenge is an amazing game mode, and I disagree with a lot of what has been said on this page. Almost every PA scavenge game I've played has been very close; many times I've seen the winning can get knocked out of someone's hands in overtime, or a 16 can tie broken by just a few seconds difference. In the screenshot flippy posted before, in that last round with the 16 can tie, his team went first, and got the 16th can with ~35 seconds left. My team then did very well, and had the last can ready to be poured with about 1:10 left, when I got pounced while pouring. A helpful teammate shot the hunter off... and inadvertently shot the can. So now we had ~35 seconds to run and grab the respawned can and bring it back. That's some tense shit, but we managed to keep cool and pull it off, throwing the can using a relay system to save time. We managed to pull it off with 15 seconds left for the win.

Most PA scavenge games have been closer to that than to a steamroll, and I've seen very few ragequits. I do wish people would stick around for a team scramble after the game more often; usually when people rage it's after the match rather than during.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wanted to stay last night, but getting up at 5:00 everyday is a pain :(

Satsumomo on
    edited November 2009
    I can't think of a more vicious infected combo than smoker, spitter, boomer, charger.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I can't think of a more vicious infected combo than smoker, spitter, boomer, charger.

Smoker, hunter, charger, jockey.

Game over!

Also, me and a friend got simultaneously smoker grabbed before. We were kinda pissed. Standing directly next to eachother, two tongues reached out and grabbed us.

SniperGuy on
    edited November 2009

What's the plan with that? Smoker someone to draw them to a particular area, then boomer them? Then charger and then spitter the inevitable camping that follows?

Melkster on
    edited November 2009

Windows 7
    C2D E8400 OC @ 3.6GHz
    4 GB RAM

Yeah. Windows 7 64 bit. There might be something to that as I was running on Vista 64 bit before. I clean installed Windows 7 last night, reinstalled L4D2 and I'm still having the same issue. I'll have to look into it. So far, all my other games are running fine. Thanks.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, and I had to reinstall Steam to even get it working. It would load the map and then kaputski. Now it runs fine.

I mean the demo.

Quaz and Wally on
  • TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dead Center 3.

Survivors moving up an escalator in a tightly packed group.

Charger at the top.

The only thing that is missing is the "bowling strike" sound effect, because GOD. DAMN.

TurboGuard on
    edited November 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Smoker, hunter, charger, jockey.

Game over!

Also, me and a friend got simultaneously smoker grabbed before. We were kinda pissed. Standing directly next to eachother, two tongues reached out and grabbed us.

Hot.

But whilst yours is theoretically perfect, that's only if you all hit at the exact same time, given that the average PA jam will free people in about .5 seconds.

I say it because:

Boomer booms, charger barrels through and gets one, smoker and hunter get the last two who probably have no idea what's going on apart from a lot of shouting on voice chat and zombies, and may well be staggering from the charger.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png