As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Complete map collection in OP! (NSF56K)

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I think one of my flashes caused a car to explode and kill a guy on Favela. I'm not sure though. It was weird.

Stun grenades still explode, they'll hurt you quite seriously if you're close to one

Eh, maybe it was a stun grenade.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think one of my flashes caused a car to explode and kill a guy on Favela. I'm not sure though. It was weird.

Stun grenades still explode, they'll hurt you quite seriously if you're close to one

Flashes can kill

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hence why photographers are the most dangerous people in the world.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the topic of special grenades, what is everyone using? I mainly used Stun in CoD4, but they don't appear to be as effective this time around.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the topic of special grenades, what is everyone using? I mainly used Stun in CoD4, but they don't appear to be as effective this time around.

Flashbangs. Blind people are amusing, especially when they immediately start shooting in hardcore and cut down their teammates in a panic. Getting them to fall off Highrise blind is also hilarious.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Flashes can kill

It's called a flashbang

One of those going off right beside you would probably destroy a limb

EDIT hurpadurp we're in agreement

Robman on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's the difference between stun grenades and flashbangs?

If I didnt have to be at stupid work, writing stupid programs I could go throw a couple and answer myself. :(

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'll probably switch to flashbangs, since I'm beginning to think that the people I'm up against are on such a buzz that stun grenades just slow them down to normal speed.

Although tossing a frag as well probably wouldn't hurt.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    flashbangs behind a riot shield in hardcore

tink tink BOOF hide

ENEMY TKS ENEMY #2 & 3

run over bash bash

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So i'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, has anyone shot at a UAV with a rifle? I know that the launchers lock on to them and destory them easily enough but with stopping power it takes less then a clip with a rifle. It is quite possibly the best/worst thing i've found so far.

Best because i can use my non-coldblood setup and just shoot down UAVs with ease

Worst because UAVs last about 5 seconds against anyone with half a brain,

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    edited November 2009

If I didnt have to be at stupid work, writing stupid programs I could go throw a couple and answer myself. :(

Stun can hit an enemy even when they're not facing the grenade, it slows down the player and throws off aiming. Their vision is somewhat blurred.

Flashbangs blind and deafen the player for a short time.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You want the real-life answer or video game answer?

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't know, UAVs can be tricky to spot on some levels and every second you're scanning the skies is a second you're not noticing that fellow lining up a perfect headshot on your ass.

Robman on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Stuns have a small blind effect and make you very slow and unable to turn/aim.

Flashes blind the living fuck out of you.

If your like me and use special grenades more as a corner checker then anything else, i would use stuns (not that flashes can't work i just find stuns better for this).

If you want to use a special that really cripples the opponent then use flashes (a good flash lasts 10 secs

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If you use a riot shield, use a flashbang

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Witchdr wrote: »
    So i'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, has anyone shot at a UAV with a rifle? I know that the launchers lock on to them and destory them easily enough but with stopping power it takes less then a clip with a rifle. It is quite possibly the best/worst thing i've found so far.

Best because i can use my non-coldblood setup and just shoot down UAVs with ease

On bigger maps like Derail or Afghan this is true... but on smaller maps like Highrise or Scrapyard, stopping to shoot the air is going to either get you shot by a dude sprinting around with Marathon and Lightweight, or attract the enemy to your location.

A lot of the time, it's simply not worth exposing yourself or wasting your ammo to shoot them down.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You want the real-life answer or video game answer?
    Fortunately for me the only time and place I'm ever likely to come across the two is in a video game, so I'm gonna go with the video game answers I got. :wink:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

On bigger maps like Derail or Afghan this is true... but on smaller maps like Highrise or Scrapyard, stopping to shoot the air is going to either get you shot by a dude sprinting around with Marathon and Lightweight, or attract the enemy to your location.

A lot of the time, it's simply not worth exposing yourself or wasting your ammo to shoot them down.

Also, in areas like Favela, it can be a lot harder to see them with all the building cover.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Eh if you got a moment why not knock one down with a AA, it's worth it as it counts towards perks!

Robman on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    All I know is that video games have taught me what a flashbang is. So if it happens to me during a hostage situation I'll be the only guy in the room not completely Helen Keller retarded and getting shot. I'll be on the ground getting taken in by authorities like a good blind and deaf civilian.

I've heard that the effects of a flash last several hours. That's got to be scary for the people who don't know what a flash is.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I ever get taken hostage and saved by a SWAT team using a flashbang, I will afterwards sue the SWAT team for not shouting "TO ALL CIVILIANS, WE WILL NOW THROW A FLASHBANG, PLEASE CLOSE YOUR EYES IN 3..2..1" before using it.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Eh if you got a moment why not knock one down with a AA, it's worth it as it counts towards perks!

Well if I have AA equipped, I'll definitely shoot a UAV out of the sky with it. However, I was replying to the comment that UAVs will always get shot down by someone who's using their noggin'. I'm just saying that it can be a dangerous move and a waste of resources to shoot it down with a rifle.

EDIT: If you've got a silencer and cold blooded equipped, an enemy UAV is actually beneficial to you. Definitely not good to the rest of your team, but for you, it's golden. The enemy will be preoccupied looking at red dots on their screen, not 100% paying attention to their surroundings. Much easier for you to get the drop on the enemy when the UAV is up with that setup.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    If I ever get taken hostage and saved by a SWAT team using a flashbang, I will afterwards sue the SWAT team for not shouting "TO ALL CIVILIANS, WE WILL NOW THROW A FLASHBANG, PLEASE CLOSE YOUR EYES IN 3..2..1" before using it.

I'm pretty sure those sort of dramatic entrances almost never happen in real hostage scenarios

Robman on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    It's just rude if they don't yell that.

Hoz on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember seeing a British infantry fireteam stack up outside a house in a town outside of Um Quasr. One guy hit the door, a second guy threw in a flashbang, and a third crossed the threshold into the room -- THEN the flashbang went off. A newsteam from BBC happened to be there, filming the third guy running out of the room, one side of his body ablaze.

Almost entirely non-dangerous. Almost.

SammyF on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I always get myself with flash gernades...

always.

I also will toss them right in front of an enemy, flash myself, have him shoot me and see the flash did nothing to him via the kill cam.

If I could use flash for any positive purposes I bet it would pwn. Until then, I use stun. I find stun gernades can help out team mates a ton. see them firing into a room or down a hall, toss a stun and rack up like 3 assists. Its good times.

I used to rock stuns very well in MW1, i enjoyed killing the heck out of snipers from half way across the map by keeping them stunned until I closed the gap with my p90.

Stuns in this one dont seem to last nearly as long.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I could have sworn that the range on flashbangs had increased a bit since CoD4, maybe it's because I don't use them as often.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do grenades in MW2 have a lot longer fuse, or does it just seem like it? Always seems like I have to cook them for an extra couple seconds to have any chance of killing people before they can run away.

Martyrdom even as a death streak seems pretty fucking useless. Only time I ever killed a guy with it was when he ran around the corner right into it.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I always get myself with flash gernades...

always.

I also will toss them right in front of an enemy, flash myself, have him shoot me and see the flash did nothing to him via the kill cam.

If I could use flash for any positive purposes I bet it would pwn. Until then, I use stun. I find stun gernades can help out team mates a ton. see them firing into a room or down a hall, toss a stun and rack up like 3 assists. Its good times.

I used to rock stuns very well in MW1, i enjoyed killing the heck out of snipers from half way across the map by keeping them stunned until I closed the gap with my p90.

Stuns in this one dont seem to last nearly as long.

The trick with flashbangs -- as in real life -- is, I find, don't throw them in front of the enemy -- throw them in front of yourself. The goal is to either for the enemy to look away so that he's no longer aquiring a sight picture on you, or penalize him for refusing to look away by blinding him. So in tight spaces, when you're coming around a corner, drop it as close to the corner as possible. When crossing through a doorway, drop it as close as you can inside the doorframe.

SammyF on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you have a thermal scope, the smoke grenade is invaluable. You can see right through it.

Even without thermals, I've been having tremendous success with the smoke as basically a trap. People always want to dash through it because they think it will provide cover. It doesn't. Bullets still hit you, and the visibility inside is not as poor as you would hope it to be.

I can still see you.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Do grenades in MW2 have a lot longer fuse, or does it just seem like it? Always seems like I have to cook them for an extra couple seconds to have any chance of killing people before they can run away.

Martyrdom even as a death streak seems pretty fucking useless. Only time I ever killed a guy with it was when he ran around the corner right into it.

I've never really played the original MW. Maybe a couple rounds online at a friends house. That said, the fuses for grenades in this game are WAY longer than any other game that I can think of off the top of my head.

Cooking them is almost a requirement, not a tactic.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The only time I've seen Martydom being used, I have been able to evade it with ease.

This and the lack of x3 Frag makes me a happy man.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    If you have a thermal scope, the smoke grenade is invaluable. You can see right through it.

Even without thermals, I've been having tremendous success with the smoke as basically a trap. People always want to dash through it because they think it will provide cover. It doesn't. Bullets still hit you, and the visibility inside is not as poor as you would hope it to be.

I can still see you.

The best part about smokes is throwing one down and then having half your team emerge from the smoke with riot shields ala No Russian

They don't know how to handle it and while they're figuring ot what to do your teammates gun them down

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I can still see you.

Third use: grenade magnet. I don't use smoke because I hate the thermal scopes (too much zoom, too little field of view for my taste) but I've seen some people throw them out randomly near a corner and walk away. The cloud of smoke invariable smokes up a frag grenade, a couple of stickies and a 40mm.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I can still see you.

They're also great in objective based gametypes like Domination. In some maps if you can get to B and capture it early then you've got a very good chance of winning the game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The only time I've seen Martydom being used, I have been able to evade it with ease.

I run Martyrdom on my sniper build. It works brilliantly with a TI.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Is it just me, or does the grenade from Martyrdom 'pop out' from the player, as opposed to just dropping to the floor like in the original?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I've probably gotten 10 kills with Martyrdom so far. It's especially satisfying because there's a good delay that results in me spawning and getting rolling before "+50!" pops up and I laugh maniacally.

Michael H on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Know what I love? That there's an Airplane! quote in every MW game so far.
    whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat example please

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Michael H wrote: »

I've probably gotten 10 kills with Martyrdom so far. It's especially satisfying because there's a good delay that results in me spawning and getting rolling before "+50!" pops up and I laugh maniacally.

I wouldn't brag about my deathstreak achievements, personally

Robman on