As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead - Grabbin' a thread of puke - ATTN lobby leaders, check OP

• inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    I can't think of a more vicious infected combo than smoker, spitter, boomer, charger.

Spitter boomer charger is the meat of that. Both the spitter/boomer combo and the spitter/charger combo are deadly if timed correctly. Not really sure what the ideal 4th is for that situation, any of the three seem serviceable.

Also, I've been saying this in every game I've played because I see it so much: Do not play the charger the way the AI does; that is, do not charge at a person/group from any distance greater than 5 feet. You will probably miss. The charger is quieter than you think he is, so spawn close, walk up to someone from an unexpected angle, then initiate the charge point blank. You should be spawning in the same sorts of places that you would spawn as boomer. Even if they spot you, you have enough meat to survive long enough to charge. If they're boomed or otherwise distracted, toss in a punch or two before you charge. I've seen way too many chargers spawn 50 feet away, pop into open view, then completely whiff a charge.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    inlemur wrote: »
    I can't think of a more vicious infected combo than smoker, spitter, boomer, charger.

Spitter boomer charger is the meat of that. Both the spitter/boomer combo and the spitter/charger combo are deadly if timed correctly. Not really sure what the ideal 4th is for that situation, any of the three seem serviceable.

Also, I've been saying this in every game I've played because I see it so much: Do not play the charger the way the AI does; that is, do not charge at a person/group from any distance greater than 5 feet. You will probably miss. The charger is quieter than you think he is, so spawn close, walk up to someone from an unexpected angle, then initiate the charge point blank. You should be spawning in the same sorts of places that you would spawn as boomer. Even if they spot you, you have enough meat to survive long enough to charge. If they're boomed or otherwise distracted, toss in a punch or two before you charge. I've seen way too many chargers spawn 50 feet away, pop into open view, then completely whiff a charge.

I've charged and magically missed someone from 3 feet away.

I've also randomly thrown out a charge from a ludicrous distance, fully expecting to miss, only to have some random survivor magically warp into my arm.

The hit detection really needs work.

TurboGuard on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Charger is tough.

Though we played a vs that was pretty great. A point-blanc missed (I even got pushed AROUND the survivor!), but my charge carried on and smacked into someone coming out of the side window, sweeping him right down the road.

Hey, what happens if a charger smacks someone into an alarmed car?

Science this, please.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited November 2009
    Charger is tough.

Though we played a vs that was pretty great. A point-blanc missed (I even got pushed AROUND the survivor!), but my charge carried on and smacked into someone coming out of the side window, sweeping him right down the road.

Hey, what happens if a charger smacks someone into an alarmed car?

Science this, please.

The charger seems to have some weird issues with hit detection and lag. I saw a charger pop out from behind the horse statue and charge at me, and I casually stepped to the side and saw him whiz by. Then, a half second later, I teleported into his path and was snared. His ping was ~250, so I'd expect you to see issues like that too.

Charger is the new boomer as far as initiating attacks. Everything tended to start with a good boom in L4D1 vs, but the charger fills the distraction role so much better. The ideal attack now is charger snares one and stuns one or two more, followed by simultaneous boomer and spitter hitting the stunned players/whoever else is in range. This does tremendous damage because while spitter damage is reduced on snared players, it is not reduced for charger stunned players or boomed players. A fourth SI is practically unnecessary.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've yet to play vs. but why not a smoker, charger, hunter, jockey combo? Charger busts the group, grabs one and stuns the other. smoker, hunter and jockey all strike while stunned and wrap up the other 3, game over.

Again, I haven't played vs in 2 yet, but in 1, 2 hunters and a smoker was almost always an insta win with a coordinated strike using a boomer to distract the 4th.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've found as the charger its better to be slightly to the right of the survivor you want to grab. Not literally to the right of them of course, but more in line with the right half of their body than left or central.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • WhoaFooglesWhoaFoogles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TurboGuard wrote: »

I've charged and magically missed someone from 3 feet away.

I've also randomly thrown out a charge from a ludicrous distance, fully expecting to miss, only to have some random survivor magically warp into my arm.

The hit detection really needs work.

This. It's doubly frustrating for me because aside from being a mediocre player, my consistently lousy latency means even when I spawn in a good spot, lining up a charge from even five feet away is painfully inaccurate. Sometimes I get lucky, though. I have the same problem with hunter pounces.

Also, Lemur, you're probably the best group coordinator I've played with; kudos. That was an excellent scavenge game last night.

WhoaFoogles on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't think I've ever pulled off a charge correctly, no matter where I charge from. I've even had my team mates comment that I sometimes go through players and completely fail to tag them. I normally miss my charge and then end up meleeing survivors for delicious damages.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited November 2009
    Lemur clearly you and I are going to have a power struggle if we're ever on the same side.

[tiny]From which I shall emerge victorious.[/tiny]

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    EMPIRICAL DATA ACQUIRED :

Flashlight has got jack shit to do with invisibility
    Going invisible takes ~5 s
    Opening doors won't break invisibility (new to me)

So, yeah, there's that.

Quoted because this got bottompaged.

ACSIS, now full of shit in multiple forums

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited November 2009
    Hey can people test what happens when a charger slams someone into an alarmed car.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah the charger definitely needs some netcode tweaking. And of course a fix for the annoying stuck bug.

Best way to tag survivors as a charger is to try and either hit them while they're running directly toward or away from you. Trying to hit them from the side, if they're moving at all, seems to lead to a lot of missed shots. I look at it like trying to lag compensate when sniping in other games. You have to charge into where the survivors are according to the server, not where you see them. Which of course leads to a lot of missed shots, especially with higher pinged players.

Also Flippy, I'm almost positive the charger slamming someone into an alarm car sets it off.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited November 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Yeah the charger definitely needs some netcode tweaking. And of course a fix for the annoying stuck bug.

Best way to tag survivors as a charger is to try and either hit them while they're running directly toward or away from you. Trying to hit them from the side, if they're moving at all, seems to lead to a lot of missed shots. I look at it like trying to lag compensate when sniping in other games. You have to charge into where the survivors are according to the server, not where you see them. Which of course leads to a lot of missed shots, especially with higher pinged players.

Also Flippy, I'm almost positive the charger slamming someone into an alarm car sets it off.

Problem is that from the side is often the way you want to clock someone as the Charger.

I forget which part of DK it is, but it's the start with the tent that has the grenade launcher. "Oh I'm gonna go back and get that, cover me guys."

Spawned behind the transport, sidestepped out, and freighttrained the poor fucker right back to the saferoom for an incap.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tre wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Tre wrote: »
    Am I doing it wrong here? I'm suffering from severe drops in frame rate that I don't think I should be getting. My system is as follows:

Windows 7
    C2D E8400 OC @ 3.6GHz
    2xHD4890s in Crossfire @ 850/1050 (Catalyst 9.11)
    4 GB RAM

I could run L4D1 with a constant 100+ FPS with it dropping down into the 60-70 FPS range when there was a lot of action on the screen. This was with all settings maxed including AA and AF. In L4D2 with no AA and AF only at 4x, my FPS drops into the 40s when there is a lot of action and sometimes in the 50s with barely anything going on. I can't imagine L4D2 is that much more graphically intense than L4D1. I have multicore rendering off. Anyone else experience anything like this?

I've been told x64 bit Windows with ATI cards have run into some issues, are you using Windows x64?

Yeah. Windows 7 64 bit. There might be something to that as I was running on Vista 64 bit before. I clean installed Windows 7 last night, reinstalled L4D2 and I'm still having the same issue. I'll have to look into it. So far, all my other games are running fine. Thanks.

I had terrible performance issues, but messing with the paged pool memory and disabling multi-core rendering has seemed to fix it

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever pulled off a charge correctly, no matter where I charge from. I've even had my team mates comment that I sometimes go through players and completely fail to tag them. I normally miss my charge and then end up meleeing survivors for delicious damages.
    I got like 1 good charge ever, but it threw a guy off the building in Hard Rain killing him.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i love charging people off the side on DC1, way more satisfying knowing they won't be hanging and they are un-reachable

Local H Jay on
    edited November 2009
    We got our shit pushed on DC Scavenge once, charger knocked the two guys on the third floor off. One guy died instantly ( o_O ) and the other one teleported back to the charger from mid-air and got pummeled to death.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yes, let me put some context in the tiniest font so I can inconvenience those interested in knowing what I'm trying to say

MrDelish on
    edited November 2009
    Lemur clearly you and I are going to have a power struggle if we're ever on the same side.

Doesn't matter to me, I generally take charge on the assumption that nobody else will. If someone else does, and knows what they're doing, fine with me.

Of course, we already know what the result is when we're on opposite sides.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Doesn't matter to me, I generally take charge on the assumption that nobody else will. If someone else does, and knows what they're doing, fine with me.

I'll listen to you Lemur even if your not actively being commander.

Because Flippy smells bad. Oh and I'm avalible if some one wants to test the car alarm I just need someone to tell me how to spawn bots and play SP VS or someone to come and play Parish 1 and kill their bots.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited November 2009

I'll listen to you Lemur even if your not actively being commander.

Because Flippy smells bad. Oh and I'm avalible if some one wants to test the car alarm I just need someone to tell me how to spawn bots and play SP VS or someone to come and play Parish 1 and kill their bots.

Actually he smells like flowers and white wine. And I typically smell like organic solvents. Whatever works for you, though.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Even on campaign the chargers are brutal. We're limping a bit after the tank on The Parish finale, me worst of all. We're close, so I ask for my fiancee's pills. Before she even responds I just watch her fucking vanish as a charger takes her right off the edge. It was actually a little scary in an emotional way, because she was just gone.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    chargers and jockeys on the bridge in parish are terrifying.

hunters a little less so since you have to be right near the edge to get pounced off.

smokers a little bit less than that since they can only be effective when they can stand with a gap between the survivor and themself.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited November 2009
    That'll be how it happens, Yam.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Even on campaign the chargers are brutal. We're limping a bit after the tank on The Parish finale, me worst of all. We're close, so I ask for my fiancee's pills. Before she even responds I just watch her fucking vanish as a charger takes her right off the edge. It was actually a little scary in an emotional way, because she was just gone.

This is so existential.

Melkster on
  • TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some good games tonight, guys. Shame I have to be up at 4.30am D:

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is she a sassy black news reporter in real life? And are you a wiseass southern con artist?

Because that would really be weird.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2009
    So Flippy your little question is being really really hard to test.

The reason is fucking Chargers WON'T CHARGE THE SURVIRORS. They keep going to melee.

It would help if I knew how to set the game mode to VS and play as the infected but all I can do is spectate fly around warp survivors and spawn chargers.

So frustrating.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheBana wrote: »
    Some good games tonight, guys. Shame I have to be up at 4.30am D:

:)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I've given up on testing the Chrager + Car alarm until A) some one helps or B) I figure out how to play VS by my self.

Because there AI is always always get close and melee I mean I couldn't get them to charge at all and when I did it was only if there was a obstacle in the way. :\.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So Flippy your little question is being really really hard to test.

The reason is fucking Chargers WON'T CHARGE THE SURVIRORS. They keep going to melee.

It would help if I knew how to set the game mode to VS and play as the infected but all I can do is spectate fly around warp survivors and spawn chargers.

So frustrating.
    In L4D1 it was sb_all_bot_team 1, mp_gamemode versus, vs_max_team_switches 900

LaCabra on
    edited November 2009
    Frustrating premade vs. - was trying to introduce a relatively new player to the game and we ran up against a really good team. Which would be fine, except they were also dicks.

Then lustre had to go and eat and by the end of that round we were just tired of it.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I swear one of the standard infected zombie mumbles sounds like they're yelling "GOOD IDEA!!" Ever since I heard it that way I can't un-hear it.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so lemur do you also go the wrong way in the stands when the chopper comes in dk5 and then when you get downed you complain about everyone else using all the medpacks?

Is this the x factor all l4d leaders have?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kupi wrote: »
    I swear one of the standard infected zombie mumbles sounds like they're yelling "GOOD IDEA!!" Ever since I heard it that way I can't un-hear it.

This is just a subconscious hallucination due to a longing for acceptance for your Department of Bad Ideas.

Quaz and Wally on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kupi wrote: »

This is just a subconscious hallucination due to a longing for acceptance for your Department of Bad Ideas.

I knew somebody was going to say that.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited November 2009
    so lemur do you also go the wrong way in the stands when the chopper comes in dk5 and then when you get downed you complain about everyone else using all the medpacks?

Is this the x factor all l4d leaders have?
    Man I was talkin' scavange.

And I didn't go the wrong way, I was covering you! And you all had healthpacks which meant there were none left for meeeeeeee

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lunch was delicious

thanks for asking

SuMa.Lustre on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah the mp_gamemode is no longer a accepted command.

Oh well.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The stats pages have returned!

Hooray!

2qwkjt5.jpg

Alegis on