As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ubuntu: force a VNC (remote desktop) server to always be on, silently?

LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
I'm looking to set up a computer for use in a public place, which means it is critically important to be able to see what's going on on the screen remotely. I'm pretty sure Linux might be all that is needed for this machine (just has to be able to browse the internet) and I'm wondering what my options are here. I really like Ubuntu, but it's default VNC server is very much not silent, and I can't seem to stop it from asking to approve every connection.

There are some other things I need to figure out, such as to create a completely unprivileged account which resets every boot and doesn't require a password, which ubuntu doesn't seem to want to allow (I guess deep freeze has a linux version though), but I'm starting with the VNC issue for now.

LoneIgadzra on

• noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you want to be able to see the con of a remote machine while it's in use? there are vncauth settings you can place in the xorg.conf to disable passwords for the :0 screen (local console).

as for the other thing, you should be able to automatically login to either a gnome or kde session on startup with a preset user account. i'm fuzzy on the details but i used to do both of those when i ran a mythtv box

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    noweat wrote: »
    you want to be able to see the con of a remote machine while it's in use? there are vncauth settings you can place in the xorg.conf to disable passwords for the :0 screen (local console).

No. I want to see the desktop of the person using it.

LoneIgadzra on
  • ResonantResonant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    noweat wrote: »

No. I want to see the desktop of the person using it.

Here you go, post from ubuntuforums

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1030156&postcount=8

Resonant on
    convergesig.jpg
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I don't think that checkbox is there. Maybe I'm blind or using the wrong version of Ubuntu (still on 9.0.4 on my test machine). Anyway, I'm sure I can find the config file eventually.

Sadly, having an open connection slows the server machine down like crazy. Is that just the nature of the beast? I've played with windows remote desktop and the OS X equivalent, and I don't recall them being that bad.

LoneIgadzra on
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there an option to reduce the fps of the connection. I don't have Linux in front of me, so I can't check. But 1 frame a second should be enough to monitor some web surfing and should be easier on the server.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif