As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop shows a good IP address, but no web sites will load. [LOCK]

TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, and thanks in advance. I was taking a look at this laptop over the weekend, but ended up running out of time to work on it and am going back tomorrow. Since I've not found any good leads, I'm going to try and reconstruct my posts from that night and see if anyone here can help.

Ok, so this laptop shows a good internet connection and IP, but launching internet explorer results in eternal page loading. This happens with both wi-fi and ethernet connectivity.

Tried ipconfig/flushdns and no dice. This is a home network, and my laptop hasn't had any trouble with his router.

The internet was working, then after CCleaner was run (not by me), this problem appeared. Restoring the registry to pre-CCleaner was unhelpful.

Trying Firefox and Opera resulted in the same issue.

Any ideas?

TL DR on

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do you have Norton's or other AV program that's blocking your internet traffic?

Atlus Parker on
  • jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What operating system are you using?

Can you ping an ip and get a response?

jhunter46 on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's XP, running AVG. I tried disabling AVG with no results, and pings come back fine.

TL DR on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This happened to me once.

Probably stupid but.... Did you pay the internet bill?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Try doing a Tracert to yahoo.com and see if it reaches it or not. If it doesn't make a note of which hop it dies at. IF it sounds like the hop is for your ISP. For example it may say AT&T or CoX or what have you, it might be a problem with your provider and maybe the ATM circuit needs to be remapped. If its outside your provider then maybe try using a diffrent DNS server.

Psychotic One on
  • jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're pinging an actually external IP address and it resolves, check your DNS server settings.

jhunter46 on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Other computers on the same network have no trouble.

This machine can get a good ping and tracert for google, yahoo, etc. DNS settings are unchanged from 'automatic'.

TL DR on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My standard web problem proceedure is

Command line:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work, power cycle the devices in the following order:
    1. Cable/DSL Modem 2. Router 3. Computer

The only network problem that wasn't able to solve was when the NIC was bad in the computer.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    was a static ip set up for the computer?
    I'd check that.

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If it's resolving DNS and pings come back ok, but browsers don't work then it sounds like malware and the browsers have been hijacked. I can't think of anything else. There's no reason why you can ping google.com and not surf there. Try running Malwarebytes or your favorite anti-malware program and see what turns up.

edit: your tcp/ip stack could also be broken. I've seen that happen. You can try uninstalling all clients, services and protocols from the network connection then uninstalling the nic from the device manager. Reboot, let it PnP and setup the connection again. I'd download the drivers for the nic just in case.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Other computers on the same network have no trouble.

This machine can get a good ping and tracert for google, yahoo, etc. DNS settings are unchanged from 'automatic'.

Try "telnet www.google.com 80" and see if it will connect you. You can also try starting in Safe Mode w/ Networking to see if that produces different results. It sounds like a funky Windows/software issue.

twmjr on
    edited November 2009
    Try it where? It's not a recognized command in Command Prompt, and actually when I entered it in Firefox I got this pretty neat link.

e: Pacbowl that sounds like my plan of attack for tomorrow. Run MBAM, then try uninstalling/reinstalling the network devices.

TL DR on
  • ResonantResonant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Try it where? It's not a recognized command in Command Prompt, and actually when I entered it in Firefox I got this pretty neat link.

e: Pacbowl that sounds like my plan of attack for tomorrow. Run MBAM, then try uninstalling/reinstalling the network devices.

You could also try in command prompt / powershell :
    netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset

The first one will reset your WinSock catalog and the second will reset the TCP/IP stack.

Also, make sure that you do not have any proxies set.
    [Control Panel]->[Internet Options]->[Connections tab]->[LAN Settings]
    Uncheck all three check boxes.

If none of these work, try and burn and boot a Linux LiveCD (e.g. Ubuntu if you are not familiar with Linux) and see if you can browse the internet.

Resonant on
    convergesig.jpg
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Sorry - needs to be done in a command prompt and without the quotes.

twmjr on
  • WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I didnt see this suggestion: When you say no websites, have you tried multiple browsers? I know I had a real pain of a hijacking back a few months ago where Firefox and IE refused to do ANYTHING.
    After pulling my hair out thinking it was a networking issue, I tried Opera and Chrome and it fired right up - which proved to me it was a hijack that was smart enough to look for the most commonly used browsers.

WildEEP on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    definately sounds like DNS issues.

Can you browse to a website via IP address instead of dns name?

Who is your ISP, check out if they have a listing of DNS servers that you can plug in manually into your settings.

check your HOSTS file as well, see if there is any bullshit that shouldnt be there.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited November 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »
    definately sounds like DNS issues.

Can you browse to a website via IP address instead of dns name?

Who is your ISP, check out if they have a listing of DNS servers that you can plug in manually into your settings.

check your HOSTS file as well, see if there is any bullshit that shouldnt be there.

I tried inputting Google's IP addy, but had the same results. What should I be looking for in the HOSTS file?

WildEEP I tried FF and Opera after the problem manifested, to no avail.

TL DR on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like a firewall issue / NAC issue. Does the issue exist in Safe Mode (with networking)?

If you don't have a packet sniffer, you can try this to get a clearer picture of what the PC's doing.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b134a806-d50e-4664-8348-da5c17129210&displaylang=en

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PirateJon wrote: »
    Sounds like a firewall issue / NAC issue. Does the issue exist in Safe Mode (with networking)?

If you don't have a packet sniffer, you can try this to get a clearer picture of what the PC's doing.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b134a806-d50e-4664-8348-da5c17129210&displaylang=en
    This could be. It's been a few years since I've seen it happen, but I have actually seen Windows Firewall just randomly (virus? wasn't my computer and I was too lazy to care) start blocking apps before on computers where it was enabled.

Jimmy King on
    edited November 2009
    Ok, I'm back at the problem computer now.

Reset the TCP/IP stack with "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt", restarted the computer, and no dice. Installing Malware Bytes now.

TL DR on
    edited November 2009
    MBAM didn't find anything.

TL DR on
    edited November 2009
    Ok I looked in the router's config page, and under DHCP I can see the problem laptop's IP & MAC address marked as static IP. Could this be the issue?

TL DR on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    shouldn't be.
    just means that behind the router you're static as 192.168.0/1.whatever

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited November 2009
    Installed Avira and it was, oddly enough, able to download updates from the server. Running a scan now.

TL DR on
    edited November 2009
    Looks like there are reports of other people having this exact issue after running CCleaner. Going to try System Restore.

TL DR on
    edited November 2009
    System Restore fixed it!

Death to CCleaner!

TL DR on