As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade TV

tron5555tron5555 Registered User new member
Hey,
I was hoping there could be a lower quality version of the show, or alternatively that you change the video player used so I can pre-load the whole show and watch it without constant pauses, the ultimate would be the ability to download the show (with ads intact ofcourse) from my ISP who has a file hosting service dedicated to gaming. (http://games.on.net)
I'm on a 1.5Mb connection in Australia and the show would pause every 10 seconds or so to buffer. I tired hitting pause and waiting a very long time and it didn't seem to buffer the entire show. I still watched through the entirety, such is my dedication, but it was pretty frustrating.

Thanks
tron5555

tron5555 on

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think you have a better chance of getting a response if you post in the existing thread, rather than making a new one in the forum whose describtion says that Gabe and Tycho don't read the forums.

Peewi on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    Peewi, I'm curious as to who bestowed upon you the remit to be rude to users of the site asking for help in this forum but allow me to discharge you of it with some vigour.

To the original poster, I'm sure it's under consideration and I'll pass this on to a relevant person.

Tube on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    An option to download would be great.

Or even just some way to let it buffer before hitting the fullscreen button.

edit: I'm using Firefox 3.5.5 on OS X 10.6, in case the issues are at my end.
    edit again: Oh, somebody mentioned this already in the SE++ thread.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Putting them up on iTunes would be pretty great, too, though I don't what all that would entail.

Abracadaniel on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll see what I can do about offering a lower quality version of the show.

I think that the player's buffering system needs some attention anyway (as it resets when swtiching to/from full screen mode).

Putting them up on iTunes/YouTube/etc. is a neat idea, but it gives someone else a bit too much control over the distribution process for process for our liking.

Älphämönkëy on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Putting them up on iTunes/YouTube/etc. is a neat idea, but it gives someone else a bit too much control over the distribution process for process for our liking.

Was hoping for a solution that would let me watch these on my iPhone :(

Actually, I haven't tried it yet, maybe it already works.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I think that the player's buffering system needs some attention anyway (as it resets when swtiching to/from full screen mode).

Is the player a program you guys have the ability of modifying to your liking or was it built from scratch?

Henroid on
  • clynch34clynch34 Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I tried google crome and it still stutters and pauses. so I know its not the browser.

clynch34 on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

the ability of modifying to your liking or was it built from scratch?

that's the same thing

Jasconius on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is the player a program you guys have the ability of modifying to your liking or was it built from scratch?

They got the player from someone else (or at least I assume so, I had to enable Javascript from some videosite to get it to run), but the file is hosted on their server. It's that second bit that they are most concerned about.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

How's Hulu? I see lots of independent stuff on there. Also maybe Revision3, but I think they do all their own stuff.

MKR on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I see a lot of companies use Vimeo instead of Youtube.

I know Vimeo has stricter content rules, so that might come with better control over distribution.

Jasconius on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

the ability of modifying to your liking or was it built from scratch?

that's the same thing

The former I meant to ask if there were options available in the player on the host end. I dunno.

Henroid on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some kind of downloadable or ipod sized version of these would be awesome. Maybe limit it to the previous months episodes or charge something small for the download?

HappylilElf on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    How's Hulu? I see lots of independent stuff on there. Also maybe Revision3, but I think they do all their own stuff.
    Hulu blocks foreign IPs, so not really the best option for us foreigners.

Aldo on
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

That's determined by the content provider as far as I know.

MKR on
    edited November 2009

oh nevermind me then. I never got Hulu to work here, always whining about my IP address being dirty foreign. :(

Aldo on
    edited November 2009

oh nevermind me then. I never got Hulu to work here, always whining about my IP address being dirty foreign. :(

Have you tried some of the non-commercial content like PBS?

MKR on
  • edited November 2009

Have you tried some of the non-commercial content like PBS?

The same error message comes up for all, including the 'web' stuff. No dice for non-US users.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It doesn't work at all for me. Just a black screen with nothing on the load bar.... :(

Johannen on
    edited November 2009
    Johannen wrote: »
    It doesn't work at all for me. Just a black screen with nothing on the load bar.... :(

Which browser and OS are you using?

MKR on
    edited November 2009
    Johannen wrote: »

Which browser and OS are you using?

Mac OSX version 10.4.11, and Firefox, but I tried it with Opera and Safari too.

Johannen on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just wanna say that I would also be very grateful if there was a download option or a lower bitrate version, because, for some reason, my 2Mb connection gets all panicky with streaming video. I loved the first episode, by the way.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • EndroszEndrosz Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I just want to chime in and add another strike to the jerkiness reports on PATV episodes. And yes, my full DSL connection was dedicated to watching them, nothing else was using it.

I think the problem is that the player doesn't handle unlimited prebuffering like most of the web players do. If I get jerkiness anywhere else on the Web, I pause the player for a minute or two, let the video download basically, or a "sufficient" chunk of it, and then press play again.

I really would like some upgrade or alternative to the current player. PATV deserves better tech. :winky:

Endrosz on
  • HamstaHueyHamstaHuey Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    The distribution of PAtv as it is right now is nothing like I would expect from Penny Arcade.

It just dosen't work.

There are 5 different good ways of distributing large videofiles to a massive audience. Why would PA choose the one that doesn't work?

I would gladly pay some money, just to be able to watch an episode in one pice within 5 min. and not wait up to 30 minutes to watch half of it and then wait another half hour for the rest to load.

HamstaHuey on
    edited December 2009
    HamstaHuey wrote: »
    The distribution of PAtv as it is right now is nothing like I would expect from Penny Arcade.

It just dosen't work.

There are 5 different good ways of distributing large videofiles to a massive audience. Why would PA choose the one that doesn't work?

I would gladly pay some money, just to be able to watch an episode in one pice within 5 min. and not wait up to 30 minutes to watch half of it and then wait another half hour for the rest to load.
    I'm sorry things aren't working out for you. We seem to be having some trouble with a few of our cdn nodes and it sounds like you might be effected.

I republished the streams and the player with a set of lower bit rate streams and a more intelligent stream detection software. Give it another shot and if it still doesn't work, post back in this thread :wink:

Älphämönkëy on
  • macrmacr Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Its just playing the Advertisement for me then going blank, tried it on 2 computers and alternative browsers and still not working.

macr on
    edited December 2009
    I'm kinda amazed that it works so smoothly for me even though I'm in the Netherlands on a slow DSL line. The commercial did stutter like woah, though. Not that I mind because hey it's a commercial for a game I would have bought already if I were interested in it anyway.

Aldo on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Still not preloading much of anything in IE7 and there some issues with it pausing now and then. Ad plays flawlessly though for what that's worth.

HappylilElf on
  • KermaiKermai Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Just to let you know I cant watch these episodes, it will let me watch a few seconds and then start buffering for quite a while then let me watch a bit again etc. I have tried on firefox and chrome on my pc and firefox on my macbook all with the same results. My internet is working fine and have no trouble watching other videos elsewhere.

Kermai on
    Frag the weak, hurdle the dead!
    edited December 2009
    It seems to a problem with some of our regional CDN nodes, which is very difficult for me to track without some more information.

If you wouldn't mind shooting an email to patv@penny-arcade.com with your ISP and Geographic information, I will forward the information on to our CDN provider.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited December 2009
    Works for me now :)

Johannen on
  • KermaiKermai Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I have sent the email thanks alot for the speedy reply

Kermai on
    Frag the weak, hurdle the dead!
  • UrthmanUrthman Registered User new member
    edited December 2009

I really don't understand why you don't just let people download the video files. These attempts to prevent people from doing that are always, always circumvented, it's just a question of how much tedious crap you want your viewers to have to go through before they can watch the show in a way that's convenient for them.

If you guys are really going to replace the podcasts with these videos, at least give it to me in a format I can take to the gym.

Urthman on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Urthman wrote: »

I really don't understand why you don't just let people download the video files. These attempts to prevent people from doing that are always, always circumvented, it's just a question of how much tedious crap you want your viewers to have to go through before they can watch the show in a way that's convenient for them.

If you guys are really going to replace the podcasts with these videos, at least give it to me in a format I can take to the gym.

It's just how they feel about controlling their files. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to refund the purchasing cost :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • etienne_setienne_s Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Download option would be most welcome. I have to access the net from my work pc, which doesn't have speakers but does have 256k isdn modem. Unless its made available for download, I will never see it.

Thanx

etienne_s on
  • bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it might be tied into some problem with the auto selection of the bitrate, since when I set it to a specific setting, the stuttering completely stopped for me. It was doing it about every five seconds where it would stop for about a second, then continue for five, then stop for one. Then I changed the bitrate option thinger and no stuttering at all. I've tried all the settings and they run perfectly.

bladecruiser on
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My video plays fine, but for the entire length of the actual episode I have a "Advertisement: regular playback will resume in 1 second" banner across the top of the player.

Narbus on
    edited December 2009
    Narbus wrote: »
    My video plays fine, but for the entire length of the actual episode I have a "Advertisement: regular playback will resume in 1 second" banner across the top of the player.
    Heh, yea i have that as well. I figured it was a glitch on my end because I've got flashblock installed.

Aldo on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know if it's the microphones, the encoding or the streaming but I noticed the audio quality going up and down a couple times in the latest episode.

JustinSane07 on