As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recording game sound and a USB mic at the same time.

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
I have a realtek onboard sound card that has a "stereo mixing" option that used to let me merge my jack mic and the computer's output for recording. However, I recently bought a USB mic and it seems I can no longer do this. Is there any way for me to record both game sound and a USB mic output at the same time that isn't virtual audio cable, which introduces ridiculous latency?

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm bumping this because I'm really desperate for an answer. It seems like there must be a simple way to do it, but it's doing my head in.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My setup is completely analog. I have a real microphone and a Mackie 402 VLZ3 mixer and feed the mixed signal back into the computer. Probably a little more expensive then what you have in mind though.

Although if you want to mimic my setup for less money but with crappier equipment you could get a Behringer Xenyx 502 instead of a Mackie.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's a free audio mixer that does just what you're looking for. I cant remember the name, but give me a few hours to get home and I'll come back and post it.

Do some searches for software audio mixers and see what comes up.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gothic I already have the fairly expensive USB mic sadly!

Wraith, if you do find it you will be my hero. AND THEN ENRIQUE AND I WILL SING FOR YOU

EDIT: By the way, I'm using fraps so while if necessary I could use some software to record the audio track then stitch it on to fraps, I would prefer to have something that mixed before sending it to fraps and letting me just have the audio built in to the files.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gothic I already have the fairly expensive USB mic sadly!

Hmmm. Understandable.

I found that I needed a full mixer (small though it be) because I routinely need to pull audio from multiple computers to send into Teamspeak. Plus I've been incredibly cheesed off with USB microphones since Steve Jobs said that they would exist back when he yanked the analog mic line out of most macs back in the fruit-mac days (it then took four years and several major software patches before that was true).

But yeah if you've spent the money on one... might as well try to get it to work I guess. Although if you get tired of that, here's some pictures of the alternative hardware. Nice and small, footprint is about the same as a mousepad. You can get RCA to 1/4" TS/TRS adapters at Radio Shack to make use of the mains.

Mackie 402-VLZ3
    00063592.jpg

Behringer Xenyx 502
    XENYX502.JPG

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it may be a little kludgy, but could you run two instances of audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/), with one set to record your computer's sound and the other the usb mic? I have no idea if this will actually work, but it's a thought.

twmjr on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Virtual Audio Cable is probably what you want.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Arivia, check the OP again :P

I'll try that twmjr, but it might involve a bit of fiddling around with fraps files etc

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png