As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First timer

Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
Welllll , I've been a long time fan of the strip, but for some reason I've never been to the forums until now. I looked around and saw a lot of work that I thought was great, but didn't really comment on because I couldn't think of anything constructive to say (I'm terrible at critiquing.) Anyway, since this is an introductory post I'll give some info about me.

I just graduated from the Art Institute of Washington this past June majoring in Animation. I'm looking for work doing pre production in 3d animation, or in video games, or illustration, or comics. I really have a deep appreciation for entertainment art in general. I've been having a HORRIBLE time getting any kind of work though, but I'm just gonna keep trying and applying until I get something. I really want to work at a studio like Valve, Insomniac, or Lucasfilm Animation (on the Clone Wars series) but I totally acknowledge that I'm aiming high as shit by reaching for those right out of school. I love those places because of the stylized work (which seems to be a rare thing in the games industry now) The truth is, things are so unstable that I'm probably going to apply to places like Best Buy or something pretty soon until I can land my first gig. Anyway enough rantin and sobbing, here are a few recent-ish pieces. Feel free to tear them apart (and feel free to tear apart my portfolio in my sig too, I need to GET BETTER).

the last one is a self portrait.

I hope you all enjoy.

COMBO_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Wolverine-1.jpg

bot.jpg

PK_Biatch_by_DanielAraya.jpg

Self_Portrait_ID_by_DanielAraya.png

Daniel_Araya on

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Smooth stuff chief. Of these pieces the thing that bothers me the most is Wolverine's lack of a left hand. It definitely feels deliberately hidden, though from a production art perspective this probably isn't a big deal.

rts on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very nice, sir. It seems to be a problem that you've worked out, but in that first one, you could do with some darker shadows.

The generic pre-rendered frame on your self portrait makes it look cheaper, I think. I find that one lackluster in comparison to your other work, which is great. I really like the way you render stylized characters. I think I'll try and imitate it.

Tam on
  • Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Smooth stuff chief. Of these pieces the thing that bothers me the most is Wolverine's lack of a left hand. It definitely feels deliberately hidden, though from a production art perspective this probably isn't a big deal.

it wasn't deliberate, but that's a really good point, I hadn't even given that a thought until now. Thanks man.

Daniel_Araya on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, if you're having trouble getting into the field, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Godfather on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh god, I love hamster head.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited November 2009
    I'm lovin' these big, confident shapes you're throwin' down in some of these pieces. It's something that i'm struggling with right now, and it's always a pleasure to see someone who's able to just lay down a line and make it work.

Godfather on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Welcome! Some nice work. I think these pieces are a really strong start. Not really much to say in critique other make sure you develop your own characters and ideas.
    Ive attended a few studio information sessions (video game companies) in my local area, and many of them say they are more concerned with seeing your ideas rather than your skill. Although skill is important (and you clearly have nice illustration skills) you're selling your ability to come up with creative ideas. Nice start. I hope you keep posting!

Also, nothing wrong with working in retail :) At the end of the day, a job is a job. Use it to support yourself while you keep developing your skills so that you can get your break into the industry.

EDIT: Holy SH*T! I checked your website. Very good work. If you havn't, make some phone calls to some studios, and ask them DIRECTLY for a meeting (dont say interview). You might get lucky.

winter_combat_knight on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hello!

I really like your stuff, feels clean and well rendered. I am digging the following: the blocky Humberto Ramos style of Wolverine, Hampster Head is a lot of fun, but because of your Ness I will begin stalking you in 3...2...1...

brokecracker on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What sort of positions have you been applying for and where?
    Some of the bigger studios are hard to get noticed at right away unless you have some experience. You have got major skills but experience working to a deadline is super important for pre-pro work. Have you considered doing a bit of freelance to bulk up on some clients and gain some exp first?
    While your stuff is stylized, it's tight. Pre-pro or concept artists at the big places come from a variety of backgrounds and personal styles, they are usually just capable of wearing a variety of "hats" when the project calls for it.

Also, apply to some of the smaller unknown studios (google search your area + game studio) they're a foot in the door and while most of them won't pay that great or necessarily be exactly what you want to do, it's a stepping stone.
    You seriously are probably just hitting a bad patch in hiring, your work is highly polished and professional, I have no doubt you'll make it into one of the big places with some exp.

beavotron on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, you have some fantastic stuff on your website. The front/side/back character designs are exactly what companies like the ones you mentioned would be looking for.

LaCabra on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, get a real website. Blogs are great as a personal insight into your work, where you can discuss your process, ideas, upload doodles etc. But its not anywhere near as professional as a real web adress.

winter_combat_knight on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    nice, that wolverine reminds me of xmen evolution.

deadlydorito on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    This might be of help in looking for places to apply, though if you want in the games industry, I doubt you have any problems with not staying close to home: http://gamedevmap.com/

bombardier on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    adding to the hamster head love

great stuff guy

mensch-o-matic on
    edited November 2009
    holy crap, thanks for all the love and advice guys! I was worried I committed some forum faux pas in my first post, because I just tend to do that whenever i join new forums. I appreciate the feedback a lot, on to the replies!

Tam: Y'know, you aren't the first person to tell me that. I really liked that pic, I thought it was a funny idea but most of my friends seem to not like it too much. Maybe it's a vanity thing.

Godfather: Oh if only it was like that. JUST RECENTLY I've started getting a wee bit more confident with my work, mostly with stylized characters. I've found that I don't have to struggle TOO hard when I do them, but when it comes to life drawing, environments, realistic/less exaggerated characters, there's still confidence to be built.

LittleBoots: I like him too. Someone pointed out that he looks like some existing character in Time Splitters though, and that made me sad.

winter_combat_knight: Yeah I agree, I'm working on a personal project with a friend to try to develop original concepts for a fictional game called Drenched. We're making a blog to track our progress, I'll post it up when we have some material just in case anyone's interested. Thanks for the compliment about the website, but I'm not sure whether or not companies appreciate it when you just call and ask for a meeting to show them your work.

As far as getting a real website? I had one, but it was more difficult to update. I talked to a bunch of recruiters and Art leads, and most said they actually PREFER this approach. It's straight to the point, they don't have to click anywhere to find your artwork, and it's all right there. They can get an instant feel for your stuff. A lot of them take it one step further and they just do this: http://www.thurd-eye.com/portfolio/portfolio.html

brokecracker: lol, thanks man. Ramos is fucking great! He was an influence on me when I was younger, and I probably still carry some of those influences. I also check www.creaturebox.com on a daily basis, and am constantly ripping off their shape language. I can't help it!

beavotron: I know, the experience thing is really working against me. I tried to get some internships while I was in school but I had no luck. I've been TRYING to get freelance, but I've only gotten 2 or 3 bites, nothing major. I apply to studios every day, going to sites like creativeheads.net, gamedevmap.com, etc. I just gotta keep at it.

LaCabra: yeah, as I posted earlier to winter_combat_knight, I'm working on concepts for a fictional game, which will hopefully allow me to create the kind of pre production material studios like to see.

deadlydorito: Thanks man. I used to love that show when I was in high school.

bombardier: Thanks, that site is great!

mensch-o-matic: Thanks mang! I gotta do more designs like that one and explore my inner child. I think I suffocated him.

Daniel_Araya on
    edited November 2009
    what gives? I replied on here and it said it had to wait for a moderator to approve my reply?

Daniel_Araya on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    what gives? I replied on here and it said it had to wait for a moderator to approve my reply?

It's the spam protection. You're a new user posting a lot of text. Should see it now though.

bombardier on
    edited November 2009
    bombardier wrote: »

It's the spam protection. You're a new user posting a lot of text. Should see it now though.

oh gotcha, thanks. I'm not used to a feature like that.

Daniel_Araya on
    edited November 2009
    Dammit Araya, you're my new hero after seeing this
    sketchpage%2Bcopy.jpg

Also, you said you were having trouble gaining confidence? Maybe beefing up that line quality?

Check this guy out. His sketch contour is out of this world

http://biz20.biz/

Godfather on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh yeah daniel, i thought about it this morning (because i fucking love that wolverine) and it reminded my of some of samwise stylish wow drawings a little bit. And tf2 as well, its like his chest is the heavy and his legs are the scout.... fuck i am enchanted. Please draw more wolverine :D:D:D:D:D::D

deadlydorito on
  • FleskefinnFleskefinn Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I've seen this somewhere... I guess I have visited your blog. Did Ian mention you on 3ps, or do
    I know your work from somewhere else?

I really like your style, and I wish you luck getting a job.

Btw: I allready had your diet coke blog bookmarked :D

Fleskefinn on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    solid stuff

Kendeathwalker on
    edited November 2009
    GodFather: I checked him out, Nice sketches.

deadlydorito: haha, thanks man. I fucking love the style used in TF2.

Fleskefinn: Yeah Ian McConville posted a link to my blog on the site, that's probably what you're referring to. And thanks for the well wishes.

Kendeathwalker: Glacias!

So my buddy, Bakia started modeling the hamster head dude! It's fucking awesome. Here, look:

http://bakiaparker.blogspot.com/

He got the tapering to look perfect! Makes me wanna make an animated short or something.

Daniel_Araya on
  • HooBleedyHooBlahHooBleedyHooBlah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sup Danny, Thanks for putting the link to my blog on here for folks to see HamsterBot aka Evil Overlord

HooBleedyHooBlah on

Wuts the next number?

My Art BLOG!!!
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm enjoying how massively bulky some of your figures are, but still manage to look grounded and pretty balanced.

nice stuffs

earthwormadam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't you read the rules? First timers are meant to suck. Go and unlearn a bunch of stuff, then come back.

Mustang on
    edited November 2009
    Smooooke_by_DanielAraya.jpg

That is the result of meaningless doodling with my roommates!

earthwormadam: Thanks! I'm still working on building good shapes. It's tricky for me to hit that appeal-g-spot. I'll learn.

Mustang: I do suck. All I do is I just use a bunch of photoshop filters in a super secret combination of layers. No joke, takes like 15 minutes per painting.

Daniel_Araya on
    edited December 2009
    really gorgeous lines
    i really like seeing this in progress sketch work, or quick doodles from people, it really gives great insight into their process.

urrrgh i hate you

(no i don't <3)

beavotron on
    edited December 2009
    I like seeing artist's roughs too more so than finished pieces

Daniel_Araya on
  • lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well look who popped into the pa forums. sup mang. (it's mark btw)

i hope this reinforces what ur friends have been telling u; you're good dude. Just gotta market yourself more. You posted on concept art/cg society yet?

lilchingch0ng on
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aim high and work hard and eventually you'll get there! Best Buy dooooesss have that sweet 15% discount if you work there. And all the guys I've known that work there were pretty cool but expect some long hours.

Your recent inkwork just makes me crave more. I love the flow of your sketches and your CG work is top notch. And you have such good variety with your heads.

Though the first guy on the left in the first picture- What is his foot placed on or is he just striking a Captain Morgan pose? The guy on the right looks so much more grounded and confident.

Other then that you have a good sense of volume to your work and really fine at characterization. And from what I can tell of your self portrait your a cutie to boot.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
    edited December 2009
    lilchingch0ng: MARRRRRK! I didn't know you were on these boards! I used to post on concept art like CRAZY, but I kinda stopped a while ago. Never really started posting on cg society though.

Ikage: coming from you especially, everything you said is a huge compliment. I just went though your thread, and started crying when I saw the amount of studies you've been doing! You remind me of algenpfleger and janaschi! Are you still in the VA area or did you end up going to Watts? If you're still in the area, it'd be cool to get a bunch of artists together and head to the national gallery of art to do master studies. Regarding the Jedi dude, yeah I totally copped out and didn't draw something for his foot to rest on. I was GONNA, but the deadline for the CGHub jam was approaching, and I really wanted the pose to say "I'm a fucking hero, bitch!"

Daniel_Araya on
  • L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    woah! excellent first thread!

that hamster ball is just delightful.

L.E.O. on
    edited December 2009
    Ikage: coming from you especially, everything you said is a huge compliment. I just went though your thread, and started crying when I saw the amount of studies you've been doing! You remind me of algenpfleger and janaschi! Are you still in the VA area or did you end up going to Watts? If you're still in the area, it'd be cool to get a bunch of artists together and head to the national gallery of art to do master studies. Regarding the Jedi dude, yeah I totally copped out and didn't draw something for his foot to rest on. I was GONNA, but the deadline for the CGHub jam was approaching, and I really wanted the pose to say "I'm a fucking hero, bitch!"

Oh man Jana, Alge, and Falk their whole gang are sweethearts to talk to. I'm rooting for them all the way.

I'm still up here in Virginia Beach! Just a skip and a walk away from that new Art Institute they are opening in April. Though a lot of people speculate it might have more strength in their culinary base then art. But considering how this general area has such a thick connection to New York which is high in fine art, I hope to be surprised.

But I would be so up for any artist elbow rubbing and just getting around together and making a general sketch group. It sounds like such a great ideal.

Don't worry Captain Morgan is a hero to alcoholics and college kids everywhere! Kidding aside great pieces I gotta give my props again.

Ikage on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Virginia? I'm in virginia! DC TRIPPPPP!

Sublimus on
    edited December 2009
    well look who popped into the pa forums. sup mang. (it's mark btw)

i hope this reinforces what ur friends have been telling u; you're good dude. Just gotta market yourself more. You posted on concept art/cg society yet?

who is this!?!? you know daniel?!!?!

post your work, I DEMAND IT!!!!

beavotron on
    edited December 2009
    L.E.O.: Thanks man!

Ikage: You've talked to them? I've never had a conversation with them or anything, I've just seen their CA sketchbook threads, where they draw and paint 22.5 hours a day. I always feel like such a lazy douche when I peruse their work..

I went to the Art Institute of Washington, and while I enjoyed my time there, I wouldn't call it heavy on the fine arts side of things. The Art Institutes aren't really like that...

I'll try to throw together some sketchgroup dealie sometime in the coming weeks, I'll keep you posted.

Sublimus: I'll keep you posted too.

beavotron: He's a friend of mine from art skools. He can draw his ass off, but he hides his gift from the world.

Daniel_Araya on
    edited December 2009
    Hahaha yeauh, I'm one of those crazy people who know a lot of artists in the art world, since this is all I do 24/7. But I try and keep tabs on folks. So I was able to get in touch with some mutual folks we both associate with ( Chim, SFG, I have nooo ideal where Bravenda is at/ Mully seems to have a better ideal then me.) but they lost contact with these kickass guys and I was able to meet them up again. They were pretty grateful. They all even made a little collab forum together, but I don't see any folks updating there at all anymore.

But I used to go to Jana's livestreams all the time and Alge or Falk would come in and they are just really great folks. She has all her videos recorded so you can watch her painting process.

http://livestream.com/janaschi

I was actually able to attend a few classes with my best bro as a guest to the AI in San Diego. But I went to more the animation/storyboarding ones since that's his major.

But the sketchgroup ideal would be kicking, whenever you do it I know a few locals who would love to participant.

Ikage on
  • lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

who is this!?!? you know daniel?!!?!

post your work, I DEMAND IT!!!!

would had i been drawing much. maybe i'll post up some sketchbook pages at some point in the future.

lilchingch0ng on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lovin that Wolverine

edit; also you should check out this guy, he's the director of training for Lucasfilm Animation Singapore so he might be able to help you out, or at least answer questions. I met him last year and he was really nice so he'd probably respond to anything you sent his way

DrIanMalcolm on