As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

system32 corruption question

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
So my system file got corrupted again and I am repairing it right now with the windows cd, the thing is, how does it get corrupted, how do system files in xp for that matter, get corrupted and what steps can I take to protect myself?

I am already getting a small hard drive to keep windows on so that isn't so painful but still, I would like some more info in preventive help.

RoyceSraphim on

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get good antivirus, and don't download everything you see on the internet.

Another just as likely cause is that the Hard drive is going bad and losing data. Check that with fdisk in the command line or in the recovery console

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hard drive is relly new, avg and microsoft network security essentials keep me safe, and I have barely downloaded anything other than an amv.

Only thing of consequence I can mention is that Saint's Row 2 has given me several bsod's since steamed it to my hard drive.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BSOD's can cause file corruption, including system files. Any type of hard restart.

Satsumomo on