As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Monday, November 23, 2009

12346»

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    shut up

Tube on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009
    -smash wrote: »
    this is hilarious. the italian in AC2 is just bad and silly. There's no point to it when more than 90% of the dialogue is in English. I dont get the point of peppering it in. It always sounds goofy as hell

Sort of like the alien speech in KOTOR?

The same thirty-second "phrase" looped over and over so it sounded "different"

No, it's different (and real, I'm guessing) Italian

It just makes no sense why they use it, other than to remind you that you're in Italy. There will just be a random sentence or phrase in Italian amidst minutes of English dialogue.

Garlic Bread on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    maybe all the characters are actually speaking English to each other for no good reason at all, and sometimes slip into Italian.

Melding on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    this is hilarious. the italian in AC2 is just bad and silly. There's no point to it when more than 90% of the dialogue is in English. I dont get the point of peppering it in. It always sounds goofy as hell

It just makes no sense why they use it, other than to remind you that you're in Italy. There will just be a random sentence or phrase in Italian amidst minutes of English dialogue.

Its probably there for the "WHY ARE RANDOM JERUSALEM PEASANTS TALKING PERFECT ENGLISH RAAAARGH I'M SO ANGRY" people.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    man if you seriously have a problem with period piece video games being in english then you're taking it too seriously

Skull Man on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's not like what they are saying in Italian is particularly important, half the time it's calling someone my dear, greeting some or implying that their mother had intimate relations with one of the poles that stick out of the waters of venice which are covered in slime.

Blake T on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It's a glitch in the Animus.

That's the story excuse given, anyways, when you talk to the operator the first time you're let out of the Animus. She apologizes for the random bits of Italian, saying it's a bug.

Desmond then compliments her on the subtitles though, seeing as the previous Animus in AC1 didn't have them.

UnbreakableVow on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also for the dudes wondering how well it was selling:
    http://kotaku.com/5411754/ezio-is-kicking-altairs-assassins-creed-sales

According to internal Ubisoft estimates, Assassin's Creed II has sold 1.6 million units in the first week of release, 32% more than the original Assassin's Creed sold two years ago.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

According to internal Ubisoft estimates, Assassin's Creed II has sold 1.6 million units in the first week of release, 32% more than the original Assassin's Creed sold two years ago.

More blades more money. AC3 will feature a character that wears nothing but knives.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm really happy to hear it did well, this game was a damn hoot and a half and I can't wait for part 3

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BYToady wrote: »

More blades more money. AC3 will feature a character that wears nothing but knives.
    witchblade.jpg
    :?:

KalTorak on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought the first Assassin's Creed was super fun if you played it for 2 hours every 6 months

And now I think I'm gonna buy it on Friday to prepare for II because that one looks good all the time

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I quite enjoyed Assassin's Creed in spite of some of its flaws.

AC2 has less flaws and is more engaging... man I love it. And yeah, time can seriously fly by playing that game. One of those things where you I up the clock and "holy shit have i really been playing for that long?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played AC1 for about 6 hours over a few weeks and was just asking myself "WHERE ARE YOU, GAMEPLAY?"

Then I turned off all the HUD and it becomes something totally different.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I played AC1 for about 6 hours over a few weeks and was just asking myself "WHERE ARE YOU, GAMEPLAY?"

That is a very cool idea, I should try that.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    scsscs wrote: »
    Skull Man wrote: »
    Italian people sure sound funny when they talk?
    Spaghetti and meatballs.

i pronounce your forum name
    skeezzicks

skeksis.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    - unless the italian phrases in the game coincide phonetically with the nonsense uttered in the comic i'm not impressed.

- holy fuck Defender that journal is so cool. Prince of Persia was the first game i was truly immersed in on the old DOS machine.

- CD, man i forgot how scary those skeleton birds were in the dark crystal. i chalked it up to me being young when i watched it, but they still look creepy as all fuck.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    We are not here to talk about Dark Crystal

Tube on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it was a passing comment!

(i'll be good)

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »

I turned off the HUD immediately. It still sucks, but now you can see the cool graphics and shit instead of having it buried under five tons of garbage. The HUD was absolutely unnecessary. Everything you needed to know was told to you in music, post-process effects, and 3D graphics.

Defender on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That is one thing I never liked about any videos I've seen of AC1 or 2: that godawful HUD that's absolutely fucking everywhere

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    - unless the italian phrases in the game coincide phonetically with the nonsense uttered in the comic i'm not impressed.

- holy fuck Defender that journal is so cool. Prince of Persia was the first game i was truly immersed in on the old DOS machine.

- CD, man i forgot how scary those skeleton birds were in the dark crystal. i chalked it up to me being young when i watched it, but they still look creepy as all fuck.

I don't get why people complained in the first game that your dude (and everyone else) spoke English. Did you really want to read subtitles the whole time? I do get, somewhat, the complaint about his accent not matching anyone else's. It sort of makes sense if he's supposed to represent Desmond's ancestor, since Desmond is reliving his ancestor's life, so it would have Desmond's voice...or something. I didn't really mind it, aside from that he was a little too monotone.

Yeah, Jordan Mechner is really an amazing developer. He's pretty much a one-man team, or at least he was back then. I wish I were that talented, really, and his work continues to be an inspiration to me.

Defender on
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    That is one thing I never liked about any videos I've seen of AC1 or 2: that godawful HUD that's absolutely fucking everywhere

What's double-weird about it is that they figured out how to communicate everything the player needs to know without using an overt HUD. And although I rarely say good things about AC, I will give credit where it's due, and I thought they did a great job of that. But then they covered the screen with bullshit when they already had a low framerate. Why?

Defender on
    edited November 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Horseshoe wrote: »

I turned off the HUD immediately. It still sucks, but now you can see the cool graphics and shit instead of having it buried under five tons of garbage. The HUD was absolutely unnecessary. Everything you needed to know was told to you in music, post-process effects, and 3D graphics.

you know i hadn't even looked for it in the options menu, i wish i had caught that when i played it the first time.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Been watching videos of this
    Watched one where Enzio had to chase down a guy before he alerted a guard post in some catacombs. Looked amazing

Cant wait to get it.

101 on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did everyone who bitched about how the characters spoke English miss the bit in AC1 where it's explained that the dialogue is being translated by the computer so that Desmond can understand it?

Speed Racer on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did everyone who bitched about how the characters spoke English miss the bit in AC1 where it's explained that the dialogue is being translated by the computer so that Desmond can understand it?
    And in the second he comments that the translating device isn't as good and he thanks that girl (who has a super familiar voice) for providing subtitles.

Blake T on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    And in the second he comments that the translating device isn't as good and he thanks that girl (who has a super familiar voice) for providing subtitles.

She's voiced by Kristen Bell, isn't she?

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009
    No not Lucy, the other one.

Blake T on
This discussion has been closed.