As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND - mods close this please

bruinbruin Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
chart20copyrt5.png

$170 for PS3+360 on 11/23

$160 on PS2 on 12/10

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/22/rock-band-to-perform-on-ps2-hits-europe-in-2008/

PS2 version is set to launch alongside the 360 and PS3.

Europe gets the game in 2008.

Complete song list as of now, new songs bolded:

1960s
"Gimme Shelter" by The Rolling Stones

1970s
"Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who
"Mississippi Queen" by Mountain (non-original recording)
"Suffragette City" by David Bowie
"Paranoid" by Black Sabbath (non-original recording)
"Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Öyster Cult
"Blitzkrieg Bop" by The Ramones
"Highway Star" by Deep Purple

1980s
"Tom Sawyer" by Rush (non-original recording)
"Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi
"Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash
"Epic" by Faith No More

1990s
"Learn to Fly" by Foo Fighters
"Enter Sandman" by Metallica
"In Bloom" by Nirvana
"Vasoline" by Stone Temple Pilots
"Say It Ain't So" by Weezer
"Cherub Rock" by Smashing Pumpkins
"Creep" by Radiohead
"Sabotage" by Beastie Boys

2000s
"Main Offender" by The Hives
"Go With the Flow" by Queens of the Stone Age
"Reptilia" by The Strokes
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet
"Here It Goes Again" by OK Go
"The Hand That Feeds" by Nine Inch Nails

===========================================================================================

Potentially an April Fools I guess, but I don't see USA Today doing that kind of thing.
Edit - Chris Kohler did mention a couple days ago that this announcement was coming Monday morning. This is real I'd say.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-04-01-rock-band_N.htm
Guitar Hero was just the opening act. MTV and the developers of that video game have a headliner in the works called Rock Band, which lets four music lovers gig together in person or online.
Expected in stores for the year-end holidays, the Electronic Arts game (no price set) for the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3 will be played with four instrument-based video game controllers: two guitars (lead and bass), a drum kit and a microphone.

In the popular game Guitar Hero, players tap color-coded fret keys and strum a guitar-shaped controller in time with scrolling on-screen notes. Rock Band "takes the core premise of Guitar Hero and expands it tenfold," says Alex Rigopulos, co-founder of Harmonix, which developed the game and the Karaoke Revolution games. "It lets you create a complete collaborative band."

MTV is supplying creative and financial support to Rock Band's development, as well as helping make deals with various music publishers.

That means Rock Band will have performances by the original artists. In most previous music games, almost every song is done by a cover band. For Rock Band, some labels plan to supply original recordings. "This game offers a meaningful way for labels to participate in a segment of entertainment they, for the most part, have not been able to," MTV's Jeff Yapp says.

The songs on the new game haven't been revealed yet. Current games include the Allman Brothers, Joan Jett, Kansas, Nirvana and Wolfmother. "We'll be covering a great breadth, from metal to classic rock to Southern rock to everything in between," Rigopulos says.

Online connectivity is a key to the game. The developers envision additional songs for online purchase beyond those in the retail version. And players need not be together to jam. "You could have one guitarist in Germany and another one in Texas, a drummer in New York and a singer from somewhere else, and they can play together online," EA's David DeMartini says.

The music game phenomenon continues its crescendo. 2005's Guitar Hero and this year's Guitar Hero II (both for the Sony PlayStation 2) are top sellers, having sold about 3 million copies total, according to The NPD Group. Research firm Interpret says about 6.8 million have played Guitar Hero II.

A version of the game for Microsoft's Xbox 360 is in stores on Tuesday ($90), and Hands-On Mobile today is expected to announce a cellphone version.

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter expects music gaming to grow. "Socially interactive musical games will work well, especially if they have a 'party game' aspect to them," he says. Rock Band "could definitely expand the game demographics."

Sounds pretty sweet, but I'm worried about the price tag if it comes with 4 controllers, and how single player is going to work.

bruin on

• Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I remain skeptical but hopeful.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Holy fuck. Every time I play Guitar Hero with my roomate we have the conversation about how awesome a Band game would be.

Here's hoping that the voice quality is rock solid if you're playing online, since they'd probably have to keep the quality at a moderate rate to decrease lag, right?

So, yeah, I am firing on all dicks if it's true.

Einhander on
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What if I don't have three friends to play with :-( ?

tardcore on
  • AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    tardcore wrote: »

That's why it mentions that online connectivity is a big part of the game.

Also, I wish it wasn't april 1st so I wasn't skeptical about this. Amazing if true though.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
    edited April 2007
    tardcore wrote: »

Online play.

edit: Damn, beaten.

Einhander on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    With ~50% of 360 owners on Live and I'm sure less on PS3 online? I sure hope there's a single player mode where you cycle through the instruments or something.

bruin on
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    With ~50% of 360 owners on Live and I'm sure less on PS3 online? I sure hope there's a single player mode where you cycle through the instruments or something.

I could see a thriving hardcore community of amateur musicians, or people who just like Guitar Hero already. I don't think you'd have a very hard time finding three other people online.

If they sold the instruments separately, odds are it'll be impossible to find a half-decent drummer though.

Einhander on
  • AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

I could see a thriving hardcore community of amateur musicians, or people who just like Guitar Hero already. I don't think you'd have a very hard time finding three other people online.

If they sold the instruments separately, odds are it'll be impossible to find a half-decent drummer though.

The drum is the most exciting instrument for me. I've played the Guitar Hero guitar to death, I want to try something new. I just hope they do the drums right.

Oh, and I do not looking forward to hearing the microphone component of this game when I am playing online.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
    edited April 2007

The drum is the most exciting instrument for me. I've played the Guitar Hero guitar to death, I want to try something new. I just hope they do the drums right.

Oh, and I do not looking forward to hearing the microphone component of this game when I am playing online.
    Hahaha, 11 years olds singing Killing in the Name Of.

bruin on
    edited April 2007

I was making a drummer joke. But yeah, I'm thinking that a lot of really, really terrible singers are gonna be online. I can tell you already, that if I ever do any singing, I will sing every single song as if it was performed by ArnoCorps. Also, another joke:

Q.) What do you call a guy who hangs out with three musicians?
    A.) A drummer.
    I used to play the drums

Einhander on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Synth? Please, oh please, let there be synth.

Oh wait, 360/PS3. Ech... I guess I won't be playing this for a while.

And Harmonix aren't strangers to non-cover banded songs... everything in Harmonix and Amplitude was by the original artists.

Then again, that probably had something to do with Sony's pull.

Wait, Electronic Arts? Oh, goody.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No Wii? I have a 360 so it doesn't really hurt me, but it seems odd seeing as how the Hero games aren't really that system stressing.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    No Wii? I have a 360 so it doesn't really hurt me, but it seems odd seeing as how the Hero games aren't really that system stressing.

Maybe because EA couldn't micropayrape Wii owners? I dunno.

bruin on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

I don't know what the Wii shop network can't be used for downloading new songs and the such.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2007

I don't know what the Wii shop network can't be used for downloading new songs and the such.

I fucking hate that in every single fucking game thread, somebody says "Man, this would be great on the Wii", or "Man, why don't they re-release this on the Wii".

But fuck dudes, if a Guitar Hero for the Wii could register the movements I made with the guitar and displayed them onscreen, that would be pretty damn awesome.

Also, speaking of Miis and stuff, I'm really hoping that the next games in the Hero/Harmonix games let you create your own character. Frequency and Amplitude let you create your own Freqs, so a full body character editor would be a pretty cool step. It would be like Tony Hawk-Style create a skater, only with long curly hair and eyeshadow and mesh shirts and Axl Rose-style bandannas and ripped jeans and everything.

edit: On a side note, has anyone else tried to play Guitar Hero Jeff Healey Style? It's fucking hard.

Einhander on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder how they'll be doing the drums. Konami already has a pretty elaborate setup for Drummania, so it'll be interesting to see what Harmonix does that doesn't emulate DM.

1093471374.jpg

They did just fine at putting GH waaaaay above Guitar Freaks, so I'm sure it'll work out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The hi-hat was always too low on the drummania machines, so it's really hard for me to cross my arms and use the left hand on the snare and the right hand for hi hat/cymbals.

I'm so excited for this.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Holy jesus.

This thing is going to be expensive...
    Kotaku wrote:
    You know, a lot of the time, when I hear about a new game, I get "excited". It's a relative term, and one I normally use only in the context of gaming news. As in, I am more excited about this game than I am about other games. But this...this has me shitting kittens.

About the same for me...makes me as giddy as I was when I heard about the Wiimote for the first time.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sweet crispy christ this is going to own some face.

I'm playing it in my mind already. "skullkid6969" has joined the game ... he picks vocals.. oh shi-

4rch3nemy on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Definatly real, this was spoilered on 1UP Yours weeks ago.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I'm intrigued by the sheer variety this will offer. On the other hand, I shudder to think just how fucking much it'll cost.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm dubious. If it comes with all the controllers it's gonna be expensive. If it only comes with one guitar, one mic and one drum kit (leaving out the 2nd guitar), it's still gonna be expensive. If you have to choose which one you buy and then purchase the others later... there's gonna be an imbalance.

If you can't one player then I'm not overly interested, there's something fun about sitting there grinding away at THAT ONE FUCKING SONG YOU CAN'T DO ON HARD TO GET TO THE NEXT STAGE (yes I suck at Guitar Hero, but I still enjoy it).

Also, Guitar Hero 360 is out soon? Why did I not notice this?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Moneys.

Lots of moneys.

august on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I figure each instrument will be a seperate optional purchase... possibly with the game a seperate purchase as well.

OR the game there is a game/instrument bundle for each instrument type PLUS you can order individual instruments.

the only way I see all instruments in a package together is just a discounted bundle from whatever vendor is selling them all.

Deusfaux on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Also, Guitar Hero 360 is out soon? Why did I not notice this?

We kept the info hidden from you. Also: things die. Even kittens and potatoes.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    wait a second...anyone else read the article?
    A version of the game for Microsoft's Xbox 360 is in stores on Tuesday ($90), and Hands-On Mobile today is expected to announce a cellphone version.

Guitar Hero Mobile, eh? heh...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited April 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

So, now that the game is really really popular, EA is gonna port it to every fucking platform in existence.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Einhander on
  • SlyJokerSlyJoker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have thought about this idea before, but thought it would be to cost-prohibitive to have all those instruments. Hopefully the Xbox Live Headset and the GH2 guitars for the 360 version will work, so if you own those you can buy a bundle with say, the drum and have it all. Now that I think about it, it doesn't sound that bad, considering I'm buying GH2 for 360 tomorrow.

SlyJoker on
  • SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm having a hard time seeing anyone really wanting to do the vocals. My friends and I bust out Guitar Hero all the time at parties and pass the guitars around because its just rhythm and buttons, but I'm having a hard time seeing anyone wanting to just sing into a mic. Then again who knows, they havn't messed up so far.

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey folks...

For any remaining doubters, Rock Band is real. You have about seven months to prepare. ;)

BTW: Prepare here.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How do you do 4 rhythm games on one screen? 4-way split? I'm interested in the layout.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Hey folks...

For any remaining doubters, Rock Band is real. You have about seven months to prepare. ;)

Well I'll be. I was completely prepared to dismiss this as a gag.

Here's my main question: How in the WORLD are you going to have an online cooperative music game when something like 25 ms of lag is so noticeable (such as the HDTV calibration)? Honestly, I'll fork over the money, and I have infinite faith that this can be done, but I just can't fathom the online functionality.

Ballman on
    edited April 2007
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Hey folks...

So, how many Freezepop songs? Nine? Ten?
    Legacy wrote: »

So, now that the game is really really popular, EA is gonna port it to every fucking platform in existence.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Guitar Hero DS? Sure.

But isn't it still an Activision property?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    As far as the vocals go, doesn't anybody remember Karaoke Revolution? Trust me, with the amount of people out there that think they can sing, there will be singers. Also, I estimate that the singing portion will allow for any microphone that works with the system, so it will be the least costly and most accessible.

Cover your ears.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited April 2007
    Isn't that why there'll be a 'disable vocals' option?
    (Or so we can hope)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is gonna get a "meh" from me for now.

earthwormadam on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Whereas this will probably be the thing that pushes me to get a 360 or a PS3.

Ballman on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This shit better be compatible with XBL headsets and GH guitars, because I sure as shit am not buying two different brands of guitar controller for my system.

Vincent Grayson on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As far as the vocals go, doesn't anybody remember Karaoke Revolution? Trust me, with the amount of people out there that think they can sing, there will be singers. Also, I estimate that the singing portion will allow for any microphone that works with the system, so it will be the least costly and most accessible.

Cover your ears.

Singstar is also horrendously popular.

Rook on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    Whereas this will probably be the thing that pushes me to get a 360 or a PS3.
    I'm so in on this if it provides a semi-realistic drum simulation like Drummania. Just don't pack in some cheap, plastic, foamy bass pedal.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png