As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Going to Thailand in six weeks

IriahIriah Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
and for six weeks also. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Iriah on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Always look for an adam's apple.

I'm only half kidding.

noir_blood on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buy a suit?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    find out what the passport or visa requirements are, and get any of the needed vaccinations ahead of time.

If you're allergic to any foods, read up on thai cooking.

Learn enough thai to say Yes, No, thank you, one drink please, and where is the bathroom

optional: dont drink the water.

Metalbourne on
  • LemmyLemmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Always look for an adam's apple.

I'm only half kidding.

Big hands, too.

Lemmy on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remember that you can be prosecuted in america if they can prove you traveled to another country to have sex with children

Raneados on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was thinking perhaps a little more specific advice - you know, don't go to Bangkok, it's terrible, or check out Ko Whatever, it's a nice island. Avoid buses or something. I suppose I wasn't quite telling the truth when I said any advice would be appreciated.

Iriah on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well we don't know what you're going for

Raneados on
    edited November 2009
    I'm going to teach English to primary students for the first four weeks, in Rayong. Then I'm travelling for two weeks wherever I choose. I'm thinking of white water rafting on the other side of the Gulf, but that's about all I've got go on.

Iriah on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I personally hated Bangkok. It was hard to move around in and it felt like everyone was there just to take your money (as opposed to Phuket where they were incredibly polite about taking your money).

It's not optional, don't drink the water.

Phuket is fun, but it's very much a tourist town, Visit some of the islands, they're bound to be excellent for diving/snorkling. The Tiger Temple is also a must see but you need to put up with a night or two in Bangkok to get to it.

Blake T on
    edited November 2009
    Thanks, I'll check it out if I can. It'll be hard though, because I'm not staying in Bangkok at all, I think.

Iriah on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll check it out if I can. It'll be hard though, because I'm not staying in Bangkok at all, I think.

Rayong is about 4 hours by bus from Bangkok, I think. So you could pretty easily go there for a weekend or something. What kinds of things are you interested in? I spent a good amount of time a couple hours from there.

Cauld on
    edited November 2009
    Cauld wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »

Rayong is about 4 hours by bus from Bangkok, I think. So you could pretty easily go there for a weekend or something. What kinds of things are you interested in? I spent a good amount of time a couple hours from there.

I wouldn't mind listening to Thai music or seeing some historic landmarks and so forth. Other than that I'm not quite sure.

Iriah on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well... Pattaya is nice. Not sure if that's outside your travel radius though.

Just... stay away from Boyztown.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg