As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Public transport

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Being in NYC, I have to use the MTA.

Since MTA sucks, I like it when I see a weirdo. It lets me forget how shitty the MTA is.

Basic on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    christ Weird Al is old

I know, man. Just turned 50 in October.

holy crap

he doesn't look anywhere near that old

He does look quite good for his age.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The buses in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge are not the worst ever (that honour would have to go to St. Catharines. They go on the evening schedule here at 5:00 right on and if you miss that 5:00 bus, you're waiting an hour minimum, usually closer to 1.5).

KW had a neat transfer system where you'd get a transfer when you got on and it'd be good for an hour from that point for whatever buses you wanted to take. You could go and do grocery shopping and then get home on the same fare if you were fairly quick about it.

Isn't that system pretty common? I know London has it as well. I think it's an hour and a half.

Also what's up person who lives not too far from me?

Not too much. I am actually in St. Catharines now having grown up in KW. I think we should have a mid-Ontario PAX, maybe in KW because then it'd be easier for London/Windsor people to get there. The downside is, there's nothing neat to do in KW.

This is a thing that should happen. London is pretty balls, Kitchener is also terrible.. pretty much all of our options are bad. Might as well just do another Toronto one.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it's not that bad

it suuuucks cooooock for anyone that doesn't leave in the area that you and I live

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Basic wrote: »

Since MTA sucks, I like it when I see a weirdo. It lets me forget how shitty the MTA is.

i liked it well enough when i used it for free

now that i'm out of (ny) school though i probably wouldn't think its worth it

2.25 one way? fuck dat

mensch-o-matic on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HoA-player wrote: »
    public transport here works well

It bet it's even better here.

Or rather here if you take S-Bahn, Busses and Trams into account as well.

Jesus fuck. That puts us to shame. But to be fair, our systems here suck massive dicks, so it's not hard.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got public transport to my old job once

it took three hours and $15

#pipe on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    #pipe wrote: »

See I can't see how they can encourage public transport with prices like that.

It's like my work, I don't work in the city, but I live very close to it, so I literally drive away to the city, right along a train line and my work is a three minute walk from the station, It's maybe three to five dollars cheaper at most over the entire week if I catch a train, but of course then I don't have the advantage of leaving when I want, being able to go shopping easily etc.

If you catch a train into the city you save a bit on parking, but there is literally no incentive for me to catch the train to work.

Blake T on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    The buses in Kitchener/Waterloo/Cambridge are not the worst ever (that honour would have to go to St. Catharines. They go on the evening schedule here at 5:00 right on and if you miss that 5:00 bus, you're waiting an hour minimum, usually closer to 1.5).

KW had a neat transfer system where you'd get a transfer when you got on and it'd be good for an hour from that point for whatever buses you wanted to take. You could go and do grocery shopping and then get home on the same fare if you were fairly quick about it.

Isn't that system pretty common? I know London has it as well. I think it's an hour and a half.

Not too much. I am actually in St. Catharines now having grown up in KW. I think we should have a mid-Ontario PAX, maybe in KW because then it'd be easier for London/Windsor people to get there. The downside is, there's nothing neat to do in KW.

This is a thing that should happen. London is pretty balls, Kitchener is also terrible.. pretty much all of our options are bad. Might as well just do another Toronto one.
    kitchener is $70 round trip for me, toronto is $110, i would prefer k/w as there are bars

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

what?

NYC transit is sicknasty

MrMonroe on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blaket wrote: »

It's like my work, I don't work in the city, but I live very close to it, so I literally drive away to the city, right along a train line and my work is a three minute walk from the station, It's maybe three to five dollars cheaper at most over the entire week if I catch a train, but of course then I don't have the advantage of leaving when I want, being able to go shopping easily etc.

If you catch a train into the city you save a bit on parking, but there is literally no incentive for me to catch the train to work.

yeah I would only ever really take public transport to work if it was cheaper OR faster

but I live in kind of a public transport black hole so any trip begins with a 2km hike

#pipe on
    edited November 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

what?

NYC transit is sicknasty

seriously, i love MTA

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's kinda funny, it's still cheaper overall if I am going into the city for maybe half an hour to drive there and pay for the dollar twenty parking for less than half an hour if I go with more than one person.

Work is moving to the city in January so I'll be training it in, but even being a 4 minute walk to the train station, there is still not a huge incentive to use it.

Blake T on
    edited November 2009
    Blake did you know that Sydney is the second most expensive city to park in the world?

(the most expensive is London)

#pipe on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

My first year as an apprentice I could catch the bus to work at 5:30 and get there by 8:00, then catch the bus home at 16:45 and get home by 19:20. Total cost per week? $45.

Or I could drive the shitty old Datsun 180B station wagon my parents bought for $1000 for me and my sisters to get around in until we got our own cars. It was a 50 minute trip each way, and fuel cost me around $90-$100 a week.

I was making $180 a week after tax, and still I chose the car.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Takes me about an hour to go to work if I use the bus/subway combo

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Blake did you know that Sydney is the second most expensive city to park in the world?

does that also factor in London's congestion charge?

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

does that also factor in London's congestion charge?

I don't know!

Holy shit Brisbane is fifth! that is ridiculous

#pipe on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    I was really impressed by hong kong's public transit system both times I went there

they have a neat universal pass for the subway/light rails/buses

same thing here too

plus the seabus!

are there double decker buses in vancouver because those things are the coolest

there are a few here, but they are tourist buses -- in victoria, they have double decker buses as public transit buses, though!

mully on
    edited November 2009

My first year as an apprentice I could catch the bus to work at 5:30 and get there by 8:00, then catch the bus home at 16:45 and get home by 19:20. Total cost per week? $45.

Or I could drive the shitty old Datsun 180B station wagon my parents bought for $1000 for me and my sisters to get around in until we got our own cars. It was a 50 minute trip each way, and fuel cost me around $90-$100 a week.

I was making $180 a week after tax, and still I chose the car.

Well that makes perfect sense really.

100 minutes a day versus 300

I mean in those 200 spare minutes you could work minimum wage and make more money than you would have saved if you took the bus.

When you factor in cost and parking (even if it's free parking at trains with the difficultly of getting a park) it is hard to justify the cost if you aren't working in the city center.

Blake T on
    edited November 2009
    Oh also

http://www.colliers.com/Markets/AsiaPacific/News/Global-carparking
    some site wrote:
    The three most expensive parking districts in Asia Pacific are (Daily / Monthly, in U.S. dollars):
    • Sydney, Australia : USD54.47 per day / USD774.76 per month
    • Hong Kong, China : USD28.16 per day / USD742.40 per month
    • Perth, Australia : USD15.03 per day / USD610.42 per month

But jesus ball fuck sydney is expensive.

Blake T on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

kitchener is $70 round trip for me, toronto is $110, i would prefer k/w as there are bars

KW is closer to me as well. I've never checked out the bars there before. London is a shit city, but there are bars everywhere. Where are you from anyway?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    holy shit why is perth so expensive

I mean it's a nice place but what

ZeroFill on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    because before you even set off to drive in London you need to pay £10 to do so. ($18AUS)

Bad-Beat on
    edited November 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    holy shit why is perth so expensive

I mean it's a nice place but what

I think it is more in part to stop people using parking and to take public transport.

In the link pipe popped on his facebook it said that 80% on journeys to the city were taken by private car.

Blake T on
    edited November 2009

KW is closer to me as well. I've never checked out the bars there before. London is a shit city, but there are bars everywhere. Where are you from anyway?

i am in windsor

aka shitty bar capital of the world

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah parking in the Sydney CBD is not worth it unless you are making insane cash or you get greatly discounted or alotted free parking. I have no issues getting a train into the Sydney CBD, it's just getting to that train station that is a problem for me.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wish I lived somewhere that I could walk/take public transit

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the 3 years I was at Uni, I only had to walk 20 metres to the nearest bus stop from my house, and that route could take me to either:

a) Inside the Uni, or
    b) The car park of the supermarket, or
    c) The train station

...without switching buses. It was pretty cool. Also, you could buy one ticket and it'd be valid for the rest of the hour + 2 hours, on any bus. And it cost $1AU.

His Corkiness on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

both of them are too far away for me :(

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited November 2009
    so hold a northern ontario pax

i live on the southernmost tip of canada, what do you want

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh also

some site wrote:
    The three most expensive parking districts in Asia Pacific are (Daily / Monthly, in U.S. dollars):

i'm confused about perth's. Why is it more expensive for a month than it would be for 30 individual days?

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Phil316Phil316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    im so stoked that i can drive myself wherever i want whenever i want and never have to take the bus anywhere

Phil316 on
    americanfootballsigdi0.jpg
    tf2_sig.png
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    public transportation is for poor faggots

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the 3 years I was at Uni, I only had to walk 20 metres to the nearest bus stop from my house, and that route could take me to either:

a) Inside the Uni, or
    b) The car park of the supermarket, or
    c) The train station

...without switching buses. It was pretty cool. Also, you could buy one ticket and it'd be valid for the rest of the hour + 2 hours, on any bus. And it cost $1AU.

I used to catch the bus out to my university. Except it passed three train stations.
    I live within walking distance of a decent train line, two tram lines and at least four of five bus routes.
    It is awesome.

stimtokolos on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    chicago's public transportation is pretty cool

Monoxide on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »
    chicago's public transportation is pretty cool

I'll definitely be making greater use of it the next time I visit chicago

trying to drive around everywhere downtown was awful

oh, yeah, never ever drive downtown

besides, the loop is so small that the whole thing is walkable

Monoxide on
  • TallweirdoTallweirdo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh also

some site wrote:

i'm confused about perth's. Why is it more expensive for a month than it would be for 30 individual days?

In Perth alot of options for a month of parking get you a private parking bay that is guaranteed to be available 24/7, places that you pay a per day rate will be first come first served. People are willing to pay more to get a guaranteed spot.

In general the reason parking is so expensive in Perth is that the city is constrained by the river to the south and east, King's Park and the freeway to the west and the railway line to the north. As there isn't any room to expand outward they have to expand upward instead which is an expensive proposition.

Of course none of this is helped by the fact that government services and office space in Perth is highly centralised in the CBD rather than evenly distrubuted across the metropolitan area.

Tallweirdo on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have I mentioned yet that Singapore's public transport system kicks ass?

Because it does.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111