As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to connect my PS2 to my LCD monitor

horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
So I recently got rid of my old CRT TV due to space issues and ended up getting this monitor on sale. It has HDMI, VGA and DVI inputs.

Now my XBOX360 connects beautifully through HDMI but connecting my PS2 has been more than annoying. The monitor is not connected to any tower. We only have a laptop and I have no idea if I can use an external TV tuner with my laptop.

So far, I've tried using two VGA converters. One for composite and one for component.

Composite worked but had pretty crappy image quality but I was kinda expecting that. However, I have not been able to get an image on my monitor when using the component converter. What I get is the following: DSub out of Range 15.7 kHz / 30 Hz. Does anyone know what I can do about this? I've changed the PS2 output to component in the system browser and I've changed it to 4:3, 16:9 and full but I still get the same message.

Any help would be most appreciated.

PSN ID: dropofh2o
horseman85 on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I had a component to VGA converter it wouldn't display until you activated 480p or what have you in the game.
    So you were blind booting up but after holding down whatever buttons you had to the image would burst to life.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    horseman85horseman85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Argh . . . Aren't the majority of PS2 games 480i though? The manual for the component to VGA converter said it supported 480i so I was hoping it would work on account of that.

I'm at the office so I can't test out the PS2 but what would happen if I put in a game that didn't support 480p but I held down the triangle and X button anyway?

horseman85 on
    PSN ID: dropofh2o
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If a game doesn't support it sadly you're out of luck (from my experience with VGA adapters, monitors and the PS2 anyway)
    If you really want your PS2 games in HD glory the only real way is to track down a PS3 that had the PS3 emu software on it.

Edit: Though, crazily enough I think Gran Turismo 4 did some magic and some how could output 1080i.

Mmmm... Cocks... on