As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cheap, Delicious food in Sacramento

ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm spending 9 days in Sacramento with a budget of about $20 a day for food and entertainment.

Food is the highest priority. I want cheap and delicious. I'm partial to hole-in-the-wall-type dives and relatively uncommon ethnic foods.

In particular, I'm wanting to know what the best of the Korean restaurants are.

I also would dig on some Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and African foods. I don't have the money to fall into tourist-trap restaurants that are overpriced with bland food. I need to know what locals consider to be worth-the-money.

I want to know if any of the In-N-Outs in the area are superb to the others and why.

I've found in other cities, some of the best food I've had has been served in shitty little convenience stores that also function crudely as restaurants, so any of those would be great.

I also want to know where I can get the best, greasiest, dirtiest, homecookinest burger in the area.

And if there's anywhere in the area I get some unusual meats served.

ManonvonSuperock on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    La Fiesta Taqueria on Alhambra and J has some bomb burritos.

My girlfriend knows where a lot of the more obscure Ethiopian places are. I'll ask her to recommend some when I see her this weekend.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, the only place I've ever eaten while driving through Sacramento was Joe's Crab Shack, and only because I was already in Old Town.

I can't even remember if they were expensive or not.

But if it helps, it's been my experience to look up fast food restaurants and choose the one that seems furthest off the 'main drag', as these are the least crowded, and sometimes better service due to a lesser rush.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The In-and-Out's I've been to in the area (West Sacramento near Ikea and Rancho Cordova on Sunrise Blvd) are both excellent and tasty.

Adalbertos, while a chain, does fantastically good burritos.

xThanatoSx on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't help you in Downtown Sac proper, but it you're in the foothills area (Roseville area) that's my main hangout place. My tastes lean more towards Asian than middle eastern.

However while I was wondering around downtown a couple of times, I did see a couple of middle eastern places. Near the capital building I believe. Unsure about the price though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    xThanatoSx wrote: »
    The In-and-Out's I've been to in the area (West Sacramento near Ikea and Rancho Cordova on Sunrise Blvd) are both excellent and tasty.

Two stores equals a chain? But yes, they are awesome and they give you a shitload of food (big ass tacos and a whole lotta beans and rice).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • xThanatoSxxThanatoSx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    xThanatoSx wrote: »

Two stores equals a chain? But yes, they are awesome and they give you a shitload of food (big ass tacos and a whole lotta beans and rice).

The have a few more than 2 stores in the area, so yeah - I consider them a local chain :)

Super Burritos FTW.

xThanatoSx on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nocren, I'd like to know your Asian suggestions.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    As I said, they're in the foothills area and not really Sacramento proper, but Susumu on Douglas blvd in Roseville is awesome and noting over $20 there. It's a Japanese steakhouse. On Sunrise (not North Sunrise, those are two different streets) there another sushi bar/restaurant a ways down the road. It's across from A-1 comics which is a nice little gaming/hobby/comic store.

If you really want to drive up a ways, in Auburn there's a great Mongolian BBQ in downtown as well as an awesome sushi place about 2 doors over from it. In Auburn there's also Twin Dragon which is currently in the running for Top 100 Chinese Restaurant across the US.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg