As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic for 11/27/09

UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Social Entropy++
723758158_koamt-L.jpg

Dogs.jpg
Umaro on

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The back, eh?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This comic is pretty true. Half the time I know if we have it or not and just want to give the impression of "I care about your business". I will legitimately go back and look for stuff though, depending on what you're looking for, if you're a douche, etc.

DarkPrimus on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I've done that more than a few times as well.

Cilla Black on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    The back, eh?

VIV THREAD

backMuscles.jpg

Brolo on
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd fuck that back.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Definitely done that before.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    This comic is pretty true. Half the time I know if we have it or not and just want to give the impression of "I care about your business". I will legitimately go back and look for stuff though, depending on what you're looking for, if you're a douche, etc.

Yeah exactly.

Bucketman on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My favourite one is that when they asked to speak to the manager I would respond with, I am the manager ma'am.

(It was always women that complained you see)

Blake T on
    edited November 2009
    Also Tycho looks different in both panels of this strip. Panel one his irises are different sizes and I don't think I've ever seen that panel 3 expression for him before.

Brolo on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    what's up with your calendar Umero

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rolo wrote: »
    Also Tycho looks different in both panels of this strip. Panel one his irises are different sizes and I don't think I've ever seen that panel 3 expression for him before.

it is because for once he is not the font of knowledge, he is having it bestowed upon him

Bucketman on
  • UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also Gabe's left nostril is dilated a few pixels wider than usual I dunno what Mike was thinking with that.
    bwanie wrote: »
    what's up with your calendar Umero

Shh.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    My favourite one is that when they asked to speak to the manager I would respond with, I am the manager ma'am.

(It was always women that complained you see)

IN BED

ABOUT BLAKE

Anyways, because I am really fucking tired and stupid I didn't realise this was still in the context of the shop. It was like reading some goddamn post-modern comic deconstruction.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What game is falling from the sky?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited November 2009
    Looks like an action figure to me.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Women never complain about me in bed because I for the goddam foresight to tape up their mouths.

Then it's just like fucking a hooker, only against her will.

Blake T on
    edited November 2009
    What game is falling from the sky?

I think it's growing on a tree.

Brolo on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This one looks lazy.

Meiz on
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually use my "looking in the back" time for masturbation

Qorzm on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not true. Not true.

Well, not for where I work, anyway. Because we actually work.

Cyvros on
    edited November 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Not true. Not true.

My job description odes not include "look in the back for shit I don't stock".

DarkPrimus on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I worked briefly for EB years and years ago

There was a guy who asked me if we had any used copies of Quake II.

I checked the shelves, and checked the computer, and we didn't. Sorry, dude. We've got new copies? But no used ones.

Usually, this was when someone would ask me to call another EB and see if they had it, and I would.

But he was like "Can you check in the back?"

I was like

w-what

how does

what

Pony on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    We just used to tell people we didn't have a "back".
    It was kind of a half lie, we did have a back, but there was nothing there. The got our deliveries of stuff every day, and it all went out in the morning. But it was easier to say there wasn't one.

ascot on
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    consumersism

Iskander on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I work at a grocery store and there's a good chance if it isn't on the shelf, it IS in the back because the daycrew are lazy assmunchers

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The only place I Ever ask "Can you check the back?" is at Borders, because sometimes a book I'm looking for is, indeed, in the back.

But I only ask if they have reason to think whatever I'm after is in stock, and there's no sign of it on the shelves.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited November 2009
    people who ask if they have "more in the back" when it's clearly a limited stock or hot ticket item confuse me

it's like

listen if there's a giant empty space where all the Nintendo Wiis once were

and you've gone all around town trying to find them

why in god's name would we have a bunch of them squirreled away in the stockroom?

jesus, people, i know everyone hasn't worked in retail but a little common sense here

Pony on
    edited November 2009
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Not true. Not true.

My job description odes not include "look in the back for shit I don't stock".
    Exactly. I work at a general consumer tech store, so most of our stock's out the front, but big/valuable things are out the back. Sizeable back, too. And we check the system first, and that's out at the registers, so we can't do this kind of shit unless we're real douchebags.

Cyvros on
    edited November 2009
    Now, on the flip side, the local Best Buy is terrible at getting things on the floor. At least half the time when I've come in the day an item comes out (even if it is advertised IN THE CIRCULAR) it won't be out anywhere and I have to wait for someone to "look in the back" to get me a copy.

Invariably the person who ends up looking is the short guy with a gimp leg. No, I'm not kidding.

DarkPrimus on
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    i thought i was the first person to read it and got all excited and thought i could make the thread

darn

back to stupid essay that's due in FOUR HOURS

eric. on
    edited November 2009
    the worst was the Nintendo Wii

i worked in a department store when that came out, and they were sold out in like an hour on launch day. we weren't getting anymore until Nintendo said they were shipping more, and we had no idea when that would be.

people did not accept this answer. the one dude insisted that we look "in the back" for one, and when we did just to appease his stupid ass (by going in the back for two minutes, bitching to the stock guys about this asshole, and then coming out) he was like "I don't believe you" and wanted to look himself

he wanted to look in our stockroom for a Nintendo Wii

and he was insistent!

we had to threaten to call security because he wouldn't let it go

Pony on
    edited November 2009
    Now, on the flip side, the local Best Buy is terrible at getting things on the floor. At least half the time when I've come in the day an item comes out (even if it is advertised IN THE CIRCULAR) it won't be out anywhere and I have to wait for someone to "look in the back" to get me a copy.

Invariably the person who ends up looking is the short guy with a gimp leg. No, I'm not kidding.
    I am so glad we don't have Best Buy. Wherever I go, whatever I read make it sound evil.

Cyvros on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never understood the attitude where customers somehow think they're being denied the chance to be a customer, what the hell do they think retailers would gain out of it?

That's not how a business works

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited November 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I've never understood the attitude where customers somehow think they're being denied the chance to be a customer, what the hell do they think retailers would gain out of it?

That's not how a business works

oh my god, this fucking post

seriously

jesus christ people, we want your money. we want to sell you the product you came in here for, if we have it. if we don't have it, we're not trying to fuck with you! we would gladly take your money and hand it to you if we could!

when the Wii came out there was a pissy woman who insisted that i wouldn't order her a Wii (that's not how it works!) because i was racist

i just...

god damn, people

Pony on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Going to "the back" when you know you are out means walking away from the customer, going through a doorway, giving a cursory glance over inventory while you prepare your "I'm sorry but I didn't see it" face. Once expression is locked into place, you return, bearing such expression, and proclaim "I am sorry but I didn't see it," with all due (mock) contrition.

It is a staple of how things work in the retail world circa Happy Holidays.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Working grocery freight has taught me that the only items kept in the back are overstock, and overstock typically only applies to mundane things that sell reasonably well but are not hot items, if its hot, it gets a separate display where the overstock is kept accessible to customers.

This is, by and large, how the business works. Got extra hot shit items? Put them out there, make people look at them, bam bing badading, you have a fucking advertisement right there on your showfloor. This is how things work. Why in the name of almighty Fuck would you think we have a reserve..

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    people who ask if they have "more in the back" when it's clearly a limited stock or hot ticket item confuse me

it's like

why in god's name would we have a bunch of them squirreled away in the stockroom?

jesus, people, i know everyone hasn't worked in retail but a little common sense here

god, why are canadians such assholes, you'd think they'd learn a little courtesy or whatever

DJ Eebs on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "No sir, we definitely don't have any in stock."

"Oh, and you'd know that without checking, would you?"

"Yes sir. I'm the software merchandiser. Every shipment of software that comes into the store, I price it, dummy box it, and put it on display. Everything on this shelf was put out by me."

"No it wasn't!"

Yes, this was while I was wearing a nametag. With "Software Merchandising" on said nametag, and possibly "ask me about such and such a product" I forget what

The only good thing about working short contracts is that you feel far more secure in telling customers what you really think of them because, hey, you're finishing shortly anyway...

And, of course, the manager can feel free to let me go if he decides to let one of the other temps do the job I've got years of experience in

Ahh, memories.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »

it's like

god, why are canadians such assholes, you'd think they'd learn a little courtesy or whatever

The rudest fucking people

ascot on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it's true. our art store has a massive huge wall o' papers that spans like thirty meters and is full of massive reams of all sorts of craft, scrapbooking and invitation papers - piles of the things.

the 'back' of our store is like one set of shelving that can barely fit the few boxes of foamcore we received that day. it's clear to any idle observer that we have no fucking room beyond the 'staff only' sign.

yet customers will pick out the most obscure patterened yuzen paper that's already on the 'discontinued' rack and ask if there's more 'in the back'

the back

there is no back!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
This discussion has been closed.