As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic for 11/27/09

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    "Customer's always right"...

fuck anyone who actually thinks this

no, the customer is very often wrong

So do you tell them they are wrong or what? The point of that saying is that they should think they are right whether they are or not. It's about customer satisfaction, not customer correctness.

No, it's about self entitled assholes treating retail people like sub-humans and thinking they're allowed to get away with it because hey, they're consumers with money and the stores want that money.

Hunter on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    people who ask if they have "more in the back" when it's clearly a limited stock or hot ticket item confuse me

it's like

listen if there's a giant empty space where all the Nintendo Wiis once were

and you've gone all around town trying to find them

why in god's name would we have a bunch of them squirreled away in the stockroom?

jesus, people, i know everyone hasn't worked in retail but a little common sense here

Actually... I got my Wii because I happened to notice a stack of them in the back room at an EB when a staffer went in there. Being a former retail worker myself, I felt a thrill of evil glee by going to the cash and asking, "Do you happen to have any Wiis.... in the back?"

I got the most evil glare from the clerk. And a Wii.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    When I worked in retail I found shit in the back all the fucking time for people. Mainly because there was this one douchebag I hated that would hide shit he wanted to buy after work back there and I would always just go to his hiding spot and snag it.

I learned that if you find out what day the truck comes in at best buy you can usually find whatever you need that night by asking them to look in the back about an hour before close.

Grath on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the hell was going on at that EB

were they trying to all hide them so they could keep them?

Pony on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

So do you tell them they are wrong or what? The point of that saying is that they should think they are right whether they are or not. It's about customer satisfaction, not customer correctness.

No, it's about self entitled assholes treating retail people like sub-humans and thinking they're allowed to get away with it because hey, they're consumers with money and the stores want that money.

Yeah I've got no idea where you're coming from there Scarab

It's one of those sayings that's assumed to have come from the mouth of some retail chain at some point but usually it's just an indulgent fantasy shared by a few asshole consumers who mouth the words like they really mean something

It's ultimately akin to listening to a diagnosis then snottily informing your doctor that the patient is always right, what the fuck do they know

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I was wondering that, especially since the clerk continued to look grumpy as she was ringing me up.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    BasicBasic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damnit. 9 AM isn't early enough to make a new comic thread. Oh well.

Basic on
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    god, why are canadians such assholes, you'd think they'd learn a little courtesy or whatever

I think we have some extra courtesy in the back....

CarbonRod on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well this was true at Best Buy back in October.

They were running the buy2get1free deal and I was looking for Demons Souls for the PS3 but there were none at its spot.

Some other dude was looking for it too and he asked this tiny pink shirted gel upped Best Buy employee if they had any in the back.

Turns out they had 5 in the back.

Its a pretty cool story with a bro in it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    See, I'm an absurdly polite customer, always with my pleases and thank yous and I usually have to psyche myself up just to ask the person behind the counter if they have an item, just because I dislike putting people out of their way.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got my copy of the gamecube Fire Emblem through asking about the back, and that was a pretty damn rare game over here. So, it's not a lost cause

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I like to think I'm a good customer because I know how shit retail work, particularly catering/service, can be for the people behind the counter

But conversely it just makes you very aware of when someone's genuinely fucking up or being lazy

"Oh dear, as you can see the database isn't working, sorry can't help you"

"Actually you're not logging in properly. See, I used to work here."

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I'm pulling freight out to the floor, most people don't ask if I know where something is or if we have something. Most of the time, they start with "Are you vendor?" It takes a lot of restraint not to say "Yeah, I am, can't help you." Mainly because anything they want will be in the back somewhere, I can almost guarantee it but thanks to the fucking geniuses that work here it is impossible to find.

Oh, it says the item is in this bin? Funny, the whole fucking wall is empty!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    look

just don't want stupid plasticky shit so badly

raise your kids to see things in perspective and not be retards about the newest tamagochi or whatever

then you'll never have to hunt around for it like an idiot

either that or don't decide on the last day that your child may die if you don't buy it a thing that is just coming out. be a smart human and preorder or something. it's not that hard now is it?

Iskander on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HOLY SHIT THERE'S A NEW TAMAGOCHI? BUY ME ONE BUY ME ONE NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No see these are the days of "pester power"

Preteen me would never have dared pester my parents to get me something I saw on TV but maybe that's because, you know, we didn't instantly get items we demanded as some TV values groups would have you believe

Because apparently if an advert makes a kid want a product parents are forced at gunpoint to purchase said product

Take note Khoo! Talk to G&T- subliminal ads in comics, it'll work, trust me.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Possibly.

I know at one of the stores here 75% of their initial two shipments of the Wii went to employees. One guy bought four of them, kept one and made $750 off selling the other three.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »

Preteen me would never have dared pester my parents to get me something I saw on TV but maybe that's because, you know, we didn't instantly get items we demanded as some TV values groups would have you believe

Because apparently if an advert makes a kid want a product parents are forced at gunpoint to purchase said product

X NEVER HAPPENED WHEN WE WERE KIDS

IT'S ONLY THIS GENERATION

KIDS THESE DAYS

Khavall on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm just saying of my cousins/friends children et cetera the idea of "playing outside" is completely criminal to them.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

KIDS THESE DAYS

So you're saying that in our day it was incredibly common for kids to instantly get whatever they demanded or are you trying to be ironic

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqS7a25w1l4&feature=related#t=1m45s

Can't seem to get it to link the specific time, but 2:25.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never understood the attitude where customers somehow think they're being denied the chance to be a customer, what the hell do they think retailers would gain out of it?

That's not how a business works

oh my god, this fucking post

seriously

jesus christ people, we want your money. we want to sell you the product you came in here for, if we have it. if we don't have it, we're not trying to fuck with you! we would gladly take your money and hand it to you if we could!

when the Wii came out there was a pissy woman who insisted that i wouldn't order her a Wii (that's not how it works!) because i was racist

i just...

god damn, people

Bear with me here. Not about your absurd racism, you loon-fucking, Wii-hoarding Klansman, but about the "I don't believe you" thing. This isn't the best reasoning, but I think it may be real.

They understand that the store manager and the corporate entity want your money. But they may think that the individual employee gains no direct, immediate benefit from the sale, right? And maybe some new Wiis just came in like ten seconds ago, possibly inserted silently into the stockroom by masked ninja in the employ of the Iwata clan, because that is how things ship. So the point is that you, as the stupid and unmotivated retail employee, may not know, or just not care, that there are actually some Wiis back there that weren't there five minutes ago, and since you think you can get away with shirking your responsibilities, you're happier just to say there are no more.

Come on, that's the best I can do. People are obviously exhibiting the behavior, so there's a reason.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, Falling Down was great.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    oh hell i completely forgot that robert duvall was in falling down

such a great film

Iskander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    People are obviously exhibiting the behavior, so there's a reason.

that reason being they are fuckers.

Iskander on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One of the worst variations of this is if you work at Blockbuster. You're not asked to check "the back" but rather the drop-box.

This was terrible because I worked at a high volume store so during the weekend, new releases were a rarity. You could easily have a full line where every single customer plans on telling you to check the drop box, and they'd rarely take "we're out" or "I just checked" for an answer. It eventually got to the point where I wouldn't even pretend to care. I'd lazily walk to the box, open it for half a second and immediately close it. "Nope."

I guess I can't really blame some people for asking, since once in a while one really did come back, but it was particularly annoying when they obviously saw me do it for the last customer, or if it happened to be a shitty movie. Can't think of any examples but just insert whatever shitty movie you can think of from about 5 years ago. It doesn't matter what it was, it would rent out.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Iskander wrote: »
    Defender wrote: »
    People are obviously exhibiting the behavior, so there's a reason.

that reason being they are fuckers.

Stupid fuckers, though. I am attempting to be some sort of deep-sea diver within that stupid.

Defender on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When I bought my Wii it was the day after it came out. I went to the local EB "sorry they sold out, not sure when we're getting more shipments in." There were some other electronics stores in the mall I checked, and when I came back to EB the same guy flagged me down inside the store. They had just dropped off a new shipment of Wiis and he recognized me asking from before.

People want to sell you their shit. They want you to leave with what you came for. Whether it be in retail, foodservice, whatever, people do not enjoy saying "no I'm sorry I can't do that" simply because almost 100% of the time, it actually creates more work for them than being able to do it.

Javen on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

KIDS THESE DAYS

So you're saying that in our day it was incredibly common for kids to instantly get whatever they demanded or are you trying to be ironic

Yes, Edcrab
    There has actually always been bratty kids
    And there has always been overly indulgent parents
    This is not a new phenomenon
    This is a Goddamn ancient phenomenon

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My only "retail" experience was at a grocery store where I pushed a broom all day and avoided eye contact with customers. If any of them asked me anything I'd just grunt and gesture towards the cashiers.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    BusterK wrote: »

KIDS THESE DAYS

Yes, Edcrab
    There has actually always been bratty kids
    And there has always been overly indulgent parents
    This is not a new phenomenon
    This is a Goddamn ancient phenomenon

You fail to recognise the point in the slightest and it's funny if either of you could think I meant that

TV values groups demand "responsible advertising" as if adverts force parents to make bad choices, that's the point

In fact it was right there in the post for all to read

It's got fuck all to do with modern or past values and everything to do with media watchdogs and "moral guardians" jumping to completely spurious conclusions despite the fact that nothing has changed

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    T-minus one hour before I'm neck deep in "The Shit," once again.

Years from now I'm gonna have a drunk freakout moment like in the beginning of Apocalypse Now.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Urgh, condolences. I'm a big coward and accepted a shorter contract so I could face the music a week later than usual

Soon we shall all be delving into the mysterious back

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bock bock bock.

Real men work in retail warehouses until 6Pm and get shouted at for there troubles

We do not ventur into 'the back' WE ARE the back!

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bock bock bock.

Real men work in retail warehouses until 6Pm and get shouted at for there troubles

We do not ventur into 'the back' WE ARE the back!

Can I look inside you? I swear you still got a copy of MW2 left.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Every day, people get inside V, mutter under their breath about how much they hate a customer, and then they return empty handed and everyone involved is unsatisfied.

I am expecting Retales to crop up next year because... well, everyone loves them and they are great discussion fodder

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got Episodes from Liberty City from the back. It wasn't even on the shelves yet!

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was my most pleasant Black Friday experience ever...

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I got Episodes from Liberty City from the back. It wasn't even on the shelves yet!

Heh. You got it from the back. From behind. In the butt.

Defender on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    At Kantankeris: no that is a lie, no customer could think you owe them that much

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

also I get to go wade through a sea of shit in about half an hour

if I don't come back it's because I have straight up murdered somebody and they arrested my ass

TheySlashThem on
This discussion has been closed.