As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pretentious, faggot nerd thread

13»

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    maybe if it worked on people, like it sees a person and tells me all of their hopes and dreams and greatest fear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb0pMeg1UN0&feature=player_embedded

Abracadaniel on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thats pretty cool! but i dunno, every time i hold up my iphone to take someone's picture, they just end up calling the cops :(

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2009
    haha, speaking of, I was at the mall today and some grody tween was flipping through a Twilight book talkin to herself, then she kind of sat/leaned on a shelf of Twilight merchandise and it broke and it was awesome.

Abracadaniel on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Was she fat is that what you're saying

Would she capsize an average rowboat

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Knob wrote: »
    alright sounds cool so far

now

tell me about augmented reality and how it's probably something fucking stupid and nowhere as cool as it sounds

basically you use your camera on your phone to see the world and the program overlays information like if you're looking at a restaurant it will tell you about the restaurant

it's fucking pointless

Are you kidding? You have to be joking. Do you not see where this could go?

Have you driven in an unfamiliar place with a working GPS navigation system? It's pretty goddamn awesome, the thing knows where you're trying to go and how to get there. This is a feature that your transportation system should have. Think about it, if I have a car, its purpose is to transport me. If I call a cab, the driver knows where to go, I don't have to tell him. Shouldn't my car? Of course it should. It's just information, being applied to my current problem.

This is the same idea. If I want to know information about a restaurant, I don't just want to see the front of the shop. I want to know the hours, the menu, its status with the health board, its review scores, all of that stuff. My decision about whether or not I should eat there is based on that data, so why not just have the relevant information show up?

To look at it differently, if a video game made you look up the stats for the new sword you picked up on the Internet instead of just saying "this sword does 20 damage per second, +5 against vampires," you would be annoyed at the missing feature. Not having this data doesn't help; it's never preferable.

EDIT: We're not there yet, by the way, but this is the direction.

Defender on
    edited November 2009
    you could have been her edward and saved her from danger

lostwords on
    edited November 2009
    I took a photo and put it on my Twitter

that's the same thing, right?

Abracadaniel on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited November 2009
    sike

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited November 2009
    that one is still in development cause they have to figure out the face recognition stuff, but it's a cool sign of things to come

imagine EMTs being able to pull up relevant info on you just by looking at your face

well, unless you have some kind of accident that fucks up your face. . .but you get the idea.

Abracadaniel on
    edited November 2009
    yah, i imagine the facial recognition stuff would be tricky. especially for asians (they all look the same, you see).

why not use the iphone as an identifier rfid type thing by default? i dunno

lostwords on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I mean and then the obvious conclusion to this is a horrifying Big Brother scenario where your privacy is obliterated and you are enslaved.

Defender on
    edited November 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    yah, i imagine the facial recognition stuff would be tricky. especially for asians (they all look the same, you see).

why not use the iphone as an identifier rfid type thing by default? i dunno

some company already put together an rfid dongle thingy that snaps into the connector on the bottom of the iPhone

alternatively try to repopularize QR codes again in the states

4138820213_997baa7df6_o.png

(this actually works)

Abracadaniel on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    I mean and then the obvious conclusion to this is a horrifying Big Brother scenario where your privacy is obliterated and you are enslaved.

honestly once you've signed on for the iPhone contract this shouldn't be an issue

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's more of a developer's phone because it's open source. So not just apps are being developed. the SDK is available to the public, so people can flash their custom versions of the Android rom.

Even though that technically voids the warranty, but you can unroot your phone.

Actually, flashing your own ROM doesn't touch the warranty. I mean, rooting the phone is an option in the main menu, it's not like they don't want you doing it.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited November 2009
    But if I were to buy an android phone and unlock it so I could use it with AT&T that would probably void a few things

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's more of a developer's phone because it's open source. So not just apps are being developed. the SDK is available to the public, so people can flash their custom versions of the Android rom.

Even though that technically voids the warranty, but you can unroot your phone.

Actually, flashing your own ROM doesn't touch the warranty. I mean, rooting the phone is an option in the main menu, it's not like they don't want you doing it.

REALLY?

I was under the impression it voided it.

Good to know!

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    soon you'll be able to buy one of my short stories on the iphone!

that will be cool

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that actually would be cool jezz, counteracting the inherent awfulness of iphones

Which one is it?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But if I were to buy an android phone and unlock it so I could use it with AT&T that would probably void a few things

Not really. There's no difference between a locked and an unlocked phone if you're dealing with the manufacturer's warranty.

Centipede Damascus on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    365 birds. it's through sleepers almanac again so they'll do a good job of presentation at least and i'll be in relatively good company

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Awesome. I'm hoping to ebookify my stuff shortly so perhaps one day we will be rubbing shoulders on the iPhones of the world

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »
    365 birds. it's through sleepers almanac again so they'll do a good job of presentation at least and i'll be in relatively good company

BUYIN DIS

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2009
    Nick Cave released an album/novel/video. . .thing. . .through on the iPhone a while back, looked pretty neat.

Abracadaniel on