As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic for 11/27/09

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll probably go out to the mall in a bit
    It's usually quieted down by the afternoon

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just went grocery shopping. Good lord it was bliss - probably like 3 other people were shopping. No waiting in lines or trying to edge around someone else's stupid cart in the middle of the aisle. I loaded up on discounted canned pumpkin and jellied cranberry sauce.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I don't give two shits about a customer. Whether I am helpful or not has absolutely no bearing how much money I am making. You only need to do enough to keep your job, unless you're determined to rise through the ranks and make a career out of it.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Umaro wrote: »
    Yeah I don't give two shits about a customer. Whether I am helpful or not has absolutely no bearing how much money I am making. You only need to do enough to keep your job, unless you're determined to rise through the ranks and make a career out of it.

This is the reason why people harass you to go look in the back. They expect this attitude from every employee who isn't management.

Defender on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I really don't understand this line of logic

If you are going to do as shitty of a job as possible at work, what possible satisfaction could you ever take away from it? Even if I'm working a minimum wage job, I at least do it well, because then I don't feel like a worthless fuckstain and it usually gives me leeway with my bosses when I want something.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

If you are going to do as shitty of a job as possible at work, what possible satisfaction could you ever take away from it? Even if I'm working a minimum wage job, I at least do it well, because then I don't feel like a worthless fuckstain and it usually gives me leeway with my bosses when I want something.

Answer: Umaro is a worthless fuckstain.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Umaro has chosen to be the underclass so that others can flourish.

Defender on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How does 'not being helpful' have no bearing on how much money you make. If you aren't helpful you risk losing your job, and will then be out of money. If you aren't helpful, and your store makes less money because of it, you also risk losing your job.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2009
    no, it's okay, my manager is totally cool with it, he thinks our consumerist society is bullshit as well

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    How does 'not being helpful' have no bearing on how much money you make. If you aren't helpful you risk losing your job, and will then be out of money. If you aren't helpful, and your store makes less money because of it, you also risk losing your job.

Yeah but only in aggregate, and that's where the attitude comes in. Because it's unlikely that you'll sink the ship all by yourself, right? A lot of people can't understand the core concepts of professionalism, in this case doing a good job even though your job isn't impressive, demanding, or high-status.

Defender on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    When I worked briefly for EB years and years ago

There was a guy who asked me if we had any used copies of Quake II.

I checked the shelves, and checked the computer, and we didn't. Sorry, dude. We've got new copies? But no used ones.

Usually, this was when someone would ask me to call another EB and see if they had it, and I would.

But he was like "Can you check in the back?"

I was like

w-what

how does

what

To be fair, I've been at various EB's that managed to fuck their inventories up so that they often had to look in the back to see.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My local EBs only have the boxes of games on the shelves, so if you want something, you take the box to them, and they go and get the rest of the stuff, manual, disk, whatever from the back.

Once I asked for a game (without asking them to go anywhere), and they said 'yes, we have that. I'll go grab it from the back.'

Though I suppose this is kinda different.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    a customer called a guy i work with 'the worst person i've ever met'

the worst person

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    bsjezz wrote: »

the worst person

I've worked with three separate worst people I've ever met. I'm not sure how I keep finding worse people to work with.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

the worst person

Was the customer Keith Olbermann? Because he does that pretty often.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    the worst customer comment i've had is 'one day you'll find your way in life'

thanks, middle-aged trophy wife. i'm doing fine with my two degrees, thanks.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

degrees in customer service and retailology?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wren wrote: »

degrees in customer service and retailology?

damned straight

i only wish i'd majored in 'snappy answers to stupid questions'

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have to go to work now

blargh

blaaaaaaargh

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't forget to salute and pay your respects on the way in, TBH.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Campion wrote: »

Yeah but only in aggregate, and that's where the attitude comes in. Because it's unlikely that you'll sink the ship all by yourself, right? A lot of people can't understand the core concepts of professionalism, in this case doing a good job even though your job isn't impressive, demanding, or high-status.

And then Communism went kaput

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

Totally. I have had some shitty jobs, but I do them to the best of my ability because it was my job. Hank Hill was always baffled when people didn't share this mindset.

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When people would bitch about being sold a 'gutted' new game (the last new copy, used as a display) would complain I'd just go 'check the back' and shrink wrap it really quick and whoops 'one last copy, eh, Mr. Lucky?'

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you told that one fairly recently Hero

It made me smile then and it makes me smile now

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    probably the last time there was a retail job woes thread

at I doubt I'm the first one to do it

Man when I worked at GameStop we couldn't even check out games because a handful of the previous employees had been busted stealing them.

Way to fuck it up for the rest of us, jerkfaces.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i've only once been a bit of a dick to a guy at an EB

it was when guitar hero 2 first came out and i needed a second guitar. i'd already bought the game elsewhere

i saw one on the shelf and was like, 'i'll have that one'

'oh, no, there's a fault in that. it's chinese and the controller doesn't work. you need a special adapter, which we don't have any of'

'well i got that same model for my sister for christmas and it worked fine without an adapter. i'll grab it.' (that much was true)

'i can't sell it to you. it won't work be-'

'i'll take my odds. thanks.'

'listen, you won't -'

'thanks.'

in the end he grudgingly went and got it for me. magically, he found the 'adapter' in the back while he was getting it together, which he gave to me free (and the controller did end up requiring). so i'm not sure who was being the dick to who

i did apologise for myself and say that i really really wanted to play guitar hero before leaving

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    sounds like he was being a dick and didn't feel like looking for the adapter

or he had it on hold for a brosef

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He was probably holding it back for his fiancee and... now they're not together anymore because he's too unreliable for her

What have you done, jezz?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dunno man if you talk to a guy right they can bring incredible things from "the back".

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited November 2009
    I work at a grocery store and there's a good chance if it isn't on the shelf, it IS in the back because the daycrew are lazy assmunchers

Yeah, see the only reason I ever ask for "the back" is because the way I imagine a store works and the way I imagine most people working for minimum wage "work" is that they might not have gotten around to stocking it yet because they are flat out lazy.

trentsteel on

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man I don't give a shit if you're not planning on making a career out of it.

I worked at Best Buy for four years through university. I worked my ass off every day I was there. I learned to hate the job - I still busted my ass. I always planned to quit as soon as I graduated.

People who do the minimum are the fucking worst. You know what? Because you're a worthless sack of shit, I have to work even harder to cover up your uselessness, you pointless waste of flesh.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After so many years in retail, I'm such a nice customer.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I work at a grocery store and there's a good chance if it isn't on the shelf, it IS in the back because the daycrew are lazy assmunchers

Yeah, see the only reason I ever ask for "the back" is because the way I imagine a store works and the way I imagine most people working for minimum wage "work" is that they might not have gotten around to stocking it yet because they are flat out lazy.

Yes heaven forbid it's street dated or just plain not here at all it's because those fuckers are lazy.

That look of boredom and defeat is not laziness it is because we hate our jobs and the people that it comes with.

Edit- I should note however I have worked with some lazy fuckers.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    Man I don't give a shit if you're not planning on making a career out of it.

I worked at Best Buy for four years through university. I worked my ass off every day I was there. I learned to hate the job - I still busted my ass. I always planned to quit as soon as I graduated.

People who do the minimum are the fucking worst. You know what? Because you're a worthless sack of shit, I have to work even harder to cover up your uselessness, you pointless waste of flesh.

I worked with people who did jack shit compared to me. They got paid the same. They got their days off. They never got fired and barely reprimanded. I don't know. I kind of felt like they won and hated myself a little for not being able to slack a little, but management liked me so...yay?

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also, there's a back, but you don't want anything back there. Fair game if it's a grocery store and they're out of whatever milk or something. There's probably a stock back there. Feel free to ask.

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    we used to keep our stock of DSes and used consoles in the bathroom because our back storage area was so small

I wonder how much splashed urine got on those DS cases, over the years. . .

they're probably still there

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Any job I've ever had. Even shit ones for minimum wage I made sure I was the damn BATMAN of that job.

When I worked at Subway? I was so fast at making a sandhich that they were going to send me to the yearly sandwich artist tournaments they apparently have where you can win a trip to Hawaii for the FINALS.

trentsteel on

• Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I currently work part-time at Old Navy. With my particular store we get such a retarded amount of product on shipment days (which are when i work), that asking if something is in the back is a perfectly valid question because the back rooms are flooded with clothes that we can't fit out on the floor.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Any job I've ever had. Even shit ones for minimum wage I made sure I was the damn BATMAN of that job.

When I worked at Subway? I was so fast at making a sandhich that they were going to send me to the yearly sandwich artist tournaments they apparently have where you can win a trip to Hawaii for the FINALS.

and one night with jared.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You know how at the movie theater if you see more than four or five people in the popcorn line you don't even bother getting your popcorn and stuff because you know you'll miss the trailers and the beginning of the movie?

NOT ME

I should have been cloned I would have lines of like 20 people DONE before those other slackheads and pimplenecks could get THREE people done.

Some people might say that I shouldn't work so hard for minimum wage but I figure if I'm stuck there I might as well enjoy it.

I was so fast, seriously.

And those ones you see that are slow? There's no way they should be that slow. I don't think they should be as fast as I was but those people are purposely that fucking slow or uncoordinated. There's no excuse. There's like two things on the damn menu.

trentsteel on

This discussion has been closed.