As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW - 11/25/09 - We are no longer compromised.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hiro-Kala made it so Galactus can't eat his planet? If I were Galactus, I'd blow it up, just for spiting me.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yes, I suppose if you rewrite everything written thus far about Galactus you can job him to some nobody.

Making Galactus your bitch is a time honored tradition of the 1970s - even Dazzler went up against Galactus and won, once upon a time.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So.... Galactus is the Worf of the Cosmic Marvel Universe?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hiro-Kala made it so Galactus can't eat his planet? If I were Galactus, I'd blow it up, just for spiting me.

Oh, Galactus already ate Hiro-Kala's planet. And it was sooo good.

But now Hiro's made it so if Galactus ever eats another world with the Old Power in it, he'll die.

Basically, he's made it so Galactus can never have his favorite food again.

I wasn't planning on picking up Son of Hulk anymore - I've got nothing against new characters in new settings, but this book wasn't doing them very well. But Realm of Kings seems totally awesome, and they look like they're going to be connecting Son of Hulk to it, the clever bastards.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »

But now Hiro's made it so if Galactus ever eats another world with the Old Power in it, he'll die.

I wasn't planning on picking up Son of Hulk anymore - I've got nothing against new characters in new settings, but this book wasn't doing them very well. But Realm of Kings seems totally awesome, and they look like they're going to be connecting Son of Hulk to it, the clever bastards.

I dislike this just because of the absurdity that Galactus never before encountered the Old Power, i.e. it Hiro's world was the first ever to have it. He's been consuming living planets literally since the dawn of time. This would imply the percentage of planets with Old Power to being virtually zero.

mattharvest on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So does the Old Power live inside planets or just inside people? Because if its the second, then the plot point is acceptable

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I dislike this just because of the absurdity that Galactus never before encountered the Old Power, i.e. it Hiro's world was the first ever to have it. He's been consuming living planets literally since the dawn of time. This would imply the percentage of planets with Old Power to being virtually zero.

What's unacceptable about that? Earth itself is like the only planet with a variety of phenomena capable of bringing gods to their knees. Why can't another planet have some peculiar power as well?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude, Mattharvest is a fun-hating pedant.

DouglasDanger on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What happened to his face?

Kyougu on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

They actually did a pretty good job of explaining it. He never encountered it before because an "old power" planet in its natural state would do nothing. He was "given" the old power from the original planet with the knowledge that it would sate his hunger for an untold amount of time... possibly thousands of years where he'd basically sleep it off.

When he got the closing shot from Skaar it woke him up, so instead of having all this power keeping him alive and dormant for ages it woke his ass up like a junkie on a fix, and he now knew what the old power was so he could find these worlds and extract/eat it instead of just converting the worlds as he usually does.

And it isn't that Galactus will die whenever he next eats an old power planet, it's that he will never know which old power planets have been tainted. Basically he now knows that any time he eats an old power planet it's a game of Russian roulette... has it been tainted to kill him, or is it a "virgin" planet? So the end result is he can either choose to ignore his insane hunger for the old power and live, or he can follow it and play the odds against being killed by it.

EclecticGroove on
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What happened to his face?

Galactus

EclecticGroove on
    edited November 2009
    Or, any writer not named Paul Jenkins will just ignore the story whenever they write Galactus.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Or, any writer not named Paul Jenkins will just ignore the story whenever they write Galactus.

That's my biggest issue with the story. Like I put in my little Hulk thread, there is a fuck ton of potential for awesome stories based upon what happened with Galactus here... but I'm sure it's going to just be swept under the rug and ignored from this point on. At best it might get some sort of mention somewhere, but nothing interesting done with it.

EclecticGroove on
    edited November 2009

What's unacceptable about that? Earth itself is like the only planet with a variety of phenomena capable of bringing gods to their knees. Why can't another planet have some peculiar power as well?

Because it seems odd that the Old Power is simultaneously something so easy to find that Hiro was able to do it this quickly, and yet Galactus had never encountered it. That means that either Hiro was able to sense the other planet's Old Power at countless lightyears of distance, or some other Deus Ex Machina explanation of why Hiro could find one so quickly and Galactus never had.

I mean, I like the idea of tricking Galactus in this way specifically; I just dislike this representation of the Old Power.

mattharvest on
    edited November 2009
    That means that either Hiro was able to sense the other planet's Old Power at countless lightyears of distance, or some other Deus Ex Machina explanation of why Hiro could find one so quickly and Galactus never had.

He mentioned that he knew where they all were from his connection with the history of the shadow people, hence how he knew the history of that planet as well as the old power itself.

EclecticGroove on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    The Old Power is artificial and Im pretty sure the second planet was known about by people on teh ship though they hadnt known about it for a while and so they#re probably responsible for the old power there to. Or Hiro Kala just coverted its energy to corrupted Old Power, I skimmed the earlier issues but it ramped up a lot here.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2009
    Don't get me wrong: I like the idea of fucking with Galactus. I just don't like anything that suggests Galactus hasn't encountered this phenomenon or that phenomenon. He's literally as old as Time itself in our universe, and is even part of the actual fabric of the universe as an inextricable component (btw, so if he died by eating such a corrupted Old Power planet, wouldn't that unleash all the badness again?) It just seems artificial to suggest he's finding something "new" like this.

mattharvest on
    edited November 2009
    Being rare doesn't mean its not out there, Adamantiums rare and hard to work with but every fucking socialite has apair of adamantium earrings.

DarkWarrior on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, it's not like the Old Power's existed as long as Galactus has. It was created 10,000 years ago and most of the worlds that had it were destroyed.

From Galactus' point of reference, something only 10,000 years old is extremely new.

I think the ridiculous part of the story was having Galactus clutching his stomach and going 'ooooo' like he's got indigestion or something. Or puffing his cheeks out like he's about to puke. Galactus doesn't actually chew up and swallow planets, Paul. 'World-eater' is just an expression.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited November 2009
    Thor was pretty good this week also but I hope that isn't the end of those characters plots, I liked them both.

DarkWarrior on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thor:
    I was actually somewhat disappointed Kelda was killed in such a way. Not only do I think she's a really cool character, I would have loved to see her do the whole Woman Scorned schtick during Siege and kick some ass.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Thor:
    I was actually somewhat disappointed Kelda was killed in such a way. Not only do I think she's a really cool character, I would have loved to see her do the whole Woman Scorned schtick during Siege and kick some ass.

Its pretty much her destiny to be
    reborn though right? Thats all gods do. I'm more pissed off that some Doom-bot thing managed to subdue her and just yank her heart out effortlessly or that they managed it with any number of gods before that point. Just have to look at the Might and apparently endowed one to know they aren't no slouch.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2009
    I don't really think you can infer that.
    I mean, it's reasonable to think that her and William might be resurrected in some manner as one last "Fuck you, Doom and Loki!", but it's not like a Ragnarok reset is on the horizon. She's as likely to be resurrected as anyone in the Marvel universe is, but still.

Gods don't inherently just come back. Look at Odin and Bor, and such.

Faynor on
    edited November 2009
    I don't really think you can infer that.
    I mean, it's reasonable to think that her and William might be resurrected in some manner as one last "Fuck you, Doom and Loki!", but it's not like a Ragnarok reset is on the horizon. She's as likely to be resurrected as anyone in the Marvel universe is, but still.

Gods don't inherently just come back. Look at Odin and Bor, and such.

Well Im going off the last Secret Warriors which focuses on Ares, Alexander and what looks like 3 different sets of gods including Asgard. Ares goes on
    about how its their destiny to die and be reborn. In that comic alone it shows Alex killing Ares (Thats what I think happened) who then was reborn. All that rage and sorrow I think would be wasted if she didn't come back, I figure her essence will be stolen but all that emotion will allow her to control whatever it is he is doing. And hopefully Balder will sack up and fuck Doom up royal.

DarkWarrior on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thor:

Its pretty much her destiny to be
    reborn though right? Thats all gods do. I'm more pissed off that some Doom-bot thing managed to subdue her and just yank her heart out effortlessly or that they managed it with any number of gods before that point. Just have to look at the Might and apparently endowed one to know they aren't no slouch.
    That looks like the Destroyer armour to me, not some random Doombot.

KVW on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah
    that was definitely the Destroyer armor

Of course Doom had a back up plan to deal with the Gods, cmon now

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I wasn';t expecting Doom to be dead but...just so easily.
    I know its the super-fancy-dandy armour but shes still a goddess and its worse because we know nothing will happen to Doom because of this, or Loki. Thor will come, probably Balder and Volstagg and the lot and Doom and Loki won't die. I like the Asgardians and the thought of them being held down and executed off-panel just pisses me off. And now Kelda, not happy about it.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2009
    Yes, it's very shocking that pet characters JMS created for his run are not going to be around once the run is over.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Well,
    Are you sure Kelda's a Goddess? She's a "Goddess" as much as Volstagg is a God. They're all Asgardians, I'm pretty sure she just had a particular affinity for magic.

Faynor on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty goddamn pissed that the file I was writing with all my motw thoughts was just corrupted, but that said it's not entirely gone.

BLACKEST NIGHT #5

The best part was the Captain Planet moment doing precisely nothing. At best. I wonder what happens now that the original JLA are mostly BLs (or dead. Where's BL J'onn, anyway?) except for Barry and Hal. Hal... Eh. It is a GL event, but still. Barry, though. I would think that he can outrun a black ring if it was just one of death's devices (since his being able to outrun Death was a fundamental plot point in FC) but these things have to be capable of supralight speed.

DETECTIVE COMICS #859

This was really only good for the four pages set in the presnet. The flashback was disappointing insofar as its only real value was in showing Kate's first encounter with Batman. The backstory of how she was kicked out of West Point was so obvious from the first panel that it loses a lot of the impact actually reading it. Even worse is that it doesn't stand up as overly remarkable a conflict or as a measure of Kate's integrity when compared to real life Article 125 separations. While I'd like to agree with the idea that it's an unfair comparison, I just can't.

That said, in the present it seems completely worth admiring that a dead Kane twin is still technically a dead Kane twin just as if they'd successfully killed Kate makes so much sense.

GREEN LANTERN #48

Atrocitus. Everything he did and the others dealing with him was great.\par

Hal creating fighter plane constructs and using them to ram the BLs was neat. Inefficient, but neat. This was a good story. I enjoy the relationship between all of the corps' principle agents. Saint Walker definitely seems to be living up to the title in how he's managed to control Larfleeze and Atrocitus.

MADAME XANADU #17

I really like this book. She's a much cooler magical character than anyone in the Marvel U right now (though Doc Voodoo is pretty cool for being so balls-out aggressive in his role as Sorceror Supreme). The trevails of her current client are so disturbing that I can't help but keep reading to figure out what/who is causing it. Of course, the reveal at the end of the issue only makes it more interesting.
    It's her sister, Morgana.

I'm also really excited about something Wagner said on Word Balloon that he's writing the Phantom Stranger as his origin was that he's in fact a fallen angel cast down for remaining neutral during Lucifer's rebellion. Also he's not going to be such an ominous, inactive tool; he's actually going to do stuff. So I'm excited for that.

SUPERMAN #694

First off, how do you not love this?
    Conner: We heard you'd died.
    Mon-El: Yeah, well, you know how that goes.

But the best part was the panel of the two just sitting in the field sharing a moment in silence.

DARK AVENGERS: ARES #2

I'm in love with Kieron's writing. This is narration as they assault an abandoned SHIELD base.
    Even as a hissed whisper, his voice boomed like a cannonade.

"Boomed like a cannonade."

Oh God.

I'm being infected.

The scene where they ask about how their fight with the undead compares to Thermopylae is great. It makes perfect sense how much Ares would actually have hated the Spartans, but yet it's just one of those things that I doubt anyone really thought about because, really, who would think to ask the god of war his opinion of the battle 300 is based on?

Speaking of the undead, I love how a throne is always, ALWAYS, made of skulls.

Finally, Cam calling Ares a sissy for leading them into the base stealthily and not into a full-on blind charge is hilarious.

GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #20

I love how this is now the umpteenth time that the Guardians have had to clean up a mess caused by the Luminals that threatens Knowhere and everyone on it. They are hilarious in their ineptitude, especially in light of their undeserved self-righteousness. Serves them right to have the head of their heavy turn into a reaver's (from Blade II) tongue and then into a cthuloid/tentacle monster thing.

But Rocket had the best line. "Ah, nuts. Even the damn dog died too, didn't he?" Poor Rocket.

IMMORTAL WEAPONS #5

A dragon the size of a village. Damn.

The ghost warriors' Box of a Thousand Deaths is actually pretty cool. And the art was great. Well, the art for the Aman part was great. The backup story's art was not.

INCREDIBLE HERCULES #138

I LOLed when Athena compared Jessica Drew to Kali, but it makes sense. So does comparing Wolverine to the leader of the Wild Hunt. I never really thought to make that connection, but it does work.

Why didn't they just teleport in using through the Infinite Mansion? I'm also confused as to why Zeus wasn't more of a presence in the battle. He's still Zeus, after all.

This brings up another point. Siege, Assault on New Olympus, even Heaven's on Fire, all of this... It's the same end result that FC was trying to accomplish (and really, it did) while apparently pulling the trigger all the way instead of pussying out halfway like DC did. The Heroic Age is like the post-FC DC universe as Morrison seemed to envision: Man as God; As his own God. If that's the plan, then that's pretty cool.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #20

Tony mentioned that Osborn doesn't have any real access to repulsor tech (and no way to figure it out). But Zeke Stane does understand it, and when Tony left SHIELD custody of Stane was handed over to Osborn. So...

Oh, and it was awful nice of Osborn to let Stark out of federal custody just because he was in a persistent vegetative state.

Pepper made a great point. It's the fundamental tragedy of the heroic comics. They are ultimately blessed in a way that most aren't, and it sucks to be on the outside looking in when someone like her realizes that.

There were a couple more (Criminal, X-Men Forever, etc.) but this is the one that really gets me because it destroyed everything but the first paragraph--including the paragraph that was most relevant to this here discussion. Eh. Oh well. Rewrite!)

THOR GIANT SIZE FINALE

There's almost nothing not to love about this issue except that it's JMS's last. It was even drawn by Marko Djurdjevic. And I always appreciate a book that he pencils. The preview for Kieron's first issue looks fantastic, also.

The other thing that you could argue sucks is that Bill dies (And Kelda, but that's Kieron's fault and technically it's not even until next issue. So, moving on). Yes, it was tragic. But what is the alternative? Bill dying as an old man with Kelda at his side, still young and destined to live for millennia long after he's gone? That's no way for someone to die in Asgard. Instead, he proved himself not only worthy of living among the gods (and, yes, they are gods) and did more good for Asgard in one moment--of two specific acts which, and this is the other thing, will make him effectively immortal--than the three he fought will ever have done in all of eternity. And that is the other thing. His actions allowed him a measure of immortality that just living in Asgard to the end of his days would not have in the same fashion. Sure, Asgard would know of Kelda and her mortal beloved. Even now we still remember myths of gods and human relationships. But again, this is Asgard. There's a lot more mental currency to be had in saving Balder and exposing a base treachery by Loki against godhood itself.

Aside from that, yeah, JMS kills people all the time. But it works. It works really well. That I really felt for the guy who was using the Dial H for Hero dial two issues ago in Brave and the Bold (You all have GOT to read that issue. It was fantastic.) when he died because of a heroic act isn't easy. It's like Tony says in Iron Man this week, death is their retirement plan. The same way that Gaiman wrote in Sandman that all stories eventually end in death. The trick is knowing when/whether to cut away early or to keep going.

Finally, Volstagg is awesome. I know he's supposed to be and is a great warrior. But really the last few years you see him telling people of his greatness, but rarely seeing much of anything that proves it. This issue he finally proved what a badass he truly is, and even then still kept his pride in the aftermath.

Anyway, this was a pretty great week. I'll see about rewriting some thoughts on other books tonight, but I'm not making any promises.

Crimsondude on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pepper had a point until she mentioned Happy.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah. That's the second time I saw that and I still don't see how that works.

I understand the point to be exactly what she said: Why does Tony get to come back, when everyone else who's died over the last year or two in Marvel time, including Happy (who was, after all, killed because of Tony) doesn't? I don't see how it stops being relevant as soon as she mentions Happy.

Crimsondude on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah. That's the second time I saw that and I still don't see how that works.

I understand the point to be exactly what she said: Why does Tony get to come back, when everyone else who's died over the last year or two in Marvel time, including Happy (who was, after all, killed because of Tony) doesn't? I don't see how it stops being relevant as soon as she mentions Happy.
    Because she was the one who asked Tony to turn off the life support. Tony really didn't want to do it, but Pepper convinced him.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah. So?

Because he didn't have Hero Points or whatever it is that allows heroes to come back from the dead while every civilian ever killed (and, frankly, that includes Happy) stays dead outside of HUGE deus ex machina moves like in Infinity Gauntlet which were actually fixing immediate dex actions.

Crimsondude on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really like how Balder's been used as an antagonist in Thor even though he's not a bad guy himself, just being manipulated by Loki. Although it is a little hard to comprehend why anyone (especially an Asgardian) would still trust Loki to tell them the time of day at this point.

Also GotG was strong again this week, though I still haven't forgiven Abnett for
    killing Cosmo
    Good thing Rocket Raccoon's still around, so we still get lines like "I'm so scared I nearly just marked my territory". I'm digging all the multidimensional weirdness coming out of the fault too.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pepper did kinda cheat with Tony and carry (all signs pointed to) his child, there was that during Mike Grell's run.

I'll be damned, bitch set me up.

TexiKen on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah. So?

Okay, I guess when I say she has a point until, I don't literally mean that she doesn't have a point anymore, but that it's kind of negated by the fact that her hands are also dirty. She just doesn't come off as sympathetic here, at least to me. Also, she basically is complaining about one of the largest meta-problems in a serialized medium, and well, tough shit you live in a comic book lady.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2009
    fray wrote: »
    I really like how Balder's been used as an antagonist in Thor even though he's not a bad guy himself, just being manipulated by Loki. Although it is a little hard to comprehend why anyone (especially an Asgardian) would still trust Loki to tell them the time of day at this point.

This is my biggest complaint with the book and the entire run. It makes every single one of them look like absolute morons.

Fencingsax on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Goign back to Galactus, didnt Richard Reeds or someshit work out that Galactus was essential to the survival of the universe (or whatever)? Now that he's been neutered, does this mean a problem for the universe or has Marvel retconned all that out already?

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited December 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Goign back to Galactus, didnt Richard Reeds or someshit work out that Galactus was essential to the survival of the universe (or whatever)? Now that he's been neutered, does this mean a problem for the universe or has Marvel retconned all that out already?

No, I have a feeling that this will never be mentioned ever again by anyone except the writer.

Fencingsax on