As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless can be such a twat

SzerSzer Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
We bought a new router because the old one broke. We have 8 computers connecting to a router using WPA-PSK (It is a Belkin wireless N router). 1 of the computers that could connect to the old router using WPA is now throwing a hissy fit. It can connect fine as long as there is no security feature turned on (WPA1 or 2) but has "limited to no connectivity" as soon as we turn on WPA. Of course I've done the standard thing of checking that the protocols match (i.e. WPA1 on both devices, TKIP or AES encription match). It is leaving me a bit clueless. I swear at one point the laptop was connected even though WPA was on, so it is possible in principle, but after a restart all connectivity was lost again. It asks for a password, then tries to log on for over a minute and then says that there is limites or no connectivity. All other computers are connecting just fine.

It is making me want to pull my hair out.

Szer on

• Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nothing to add, but "limited to no connectivity" drives me to insanity too. I once put a letter opener knife through a no brand router because of this. Routers, you have been warned...

Ryna on
  • Options
    SzerSzer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am glad to hear that my thoughts of buying powertools simply for the purpose of pulverizing this router are not completely out of the ordinary. There are two things in computing that I can't be arsed with: Printers and networking.

Szer on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I found I had troubles with my Linksys not assigning computers an IP properly if I tried to use the passphrase rather than the hex-key. I think that was with WEP though, not WPA, so your mileage may vary.

W2 on
  • Options
    Enos316Enos316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Its also worth re-typing the pre-shared key into the laptop and making sure its right.

Enos316 on

Enos.jpg
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Make sure you have the latest drivers for your wireless adapter in the offending computer. Lots of people think to update firmware on the router (which you should also check for), but not adapter drivers. Vendors often release updated drivers to fix issues like these.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    After 6 months of utter misery I bought a 25m cable and will never use wireless again if I can help it. Simply infuriating machine.

Do drivers, firmware, and make sure that there have been no transcription errors when you typed in the key.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm glad to hear so much misery about wireless. I've given up trying to figure out why it's so shitty, whenever someone asks my answer is that the house is built on an indian burial ground. So infuriating.

PolloDiablo on