As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I like to shoot people in the face.

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
Recommend me a mouse.

If anyone was at PAX, I very much liked their mice, I think a razer deathadder (it was those that made me realise I need something better because though loath to admit it it does make a difference), apart from that stupid 'hey let's put two buttons on the left hand side instead of one each side' which makes zero design sense to me but hey.

I use a microsoft intellimouse, the design of which I deeply love (5-button, simple, bumper buttons each side, scrollwheel, no stupid extraneous shit), so basically I would like something very similar in terms of layout, and perhaps I could tolerate an extra button.

Primarily, though, I want something with sexy DPI and great runners. I don't need to switch sensitivities on the fly, I don't need speed settings or any ridiculous flashy extras. I need zero friction, especially on slight movements, and high accuracy and that's it. Price below £30 please. Cheaper is better. £15-20 would be ideal.

Any thoughts?

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a razer diamondback, which I got for £25 and is unquestionably the best mouse I've ever owned. I would pick up a razer if you can find one within your budget and don't let their retarded marketing put you off.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FWIW, Razer recently released a refresh of the DeathAdder (raised max DPI to 3500) if you happened to like that particular mouse. That said, I'm not sure whether it's an issue of overseas rape on the MSRP but it's selling for £45.57...and it's only $50 here (right about £30 according to Google) in the States.

As far as the side button placement goes, that is standard unless you're looking at an ambidextrous mouse. The Diamondback 3G that Technicality mentioned does have a button on each side, and it's a 1800 DPI mouse like the old DeathAdder (it also uses the same sensor).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been using a DeathAdder for about a year and a half. It is an excellent mouse, both comfortable and accurate.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Deathadder was my mouse of choice until I found out I'm allergic to black rubber mix. Now I'm rolling with the logitech g500 and love the shit out of it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Went ahead and bought a razer copperback. Amazon = save £11.

Plus it has seven buttons - three up top and two either side. I can make do with that.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been partial to logitech mice, mainly the venerable MX 518, for a while. I don't see what's wrong with both side buttons on the left unless you are left-handed, and the MX518's fit my thumb perfectly. On the other hand, the other buttons are fairly worthless and the shape is intended more for large hands (I have large hands).

I bought a $20 5-button intellimouse for my parents (this one actually) and it is an unmitigated piece of shit - amazingly cheap construction, side buttons are not really very useful since they aren't actually placed under the fingers that will be pressing them and go in too far (while at the same time the one on the right is incredibly easy to hit by accident), shape feels slightly off, light as a feather. Its only redeeming attribute is that it's slightly better than the mighty mouse it replaced.

Kinda makes me wish I'd just gone with one of those classic 3-button black logitechs that are all over the place and actually really great for $15.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man that's what I use.

I love it.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love mice so much.

Right now I've been using the Microsoft Sidewinder. It looks like its very uncomfortable and awkward but its everything but that. Love this mouse.
    mssidewindermouse1ru8.jpg

What I'm looking to get soon is the Logitech G9x. A buddy o fmine has it and I absolutely adore it. I definitely have to pick this one up. Fits really nice in the hand.
    1769710.png

I love mice far too much. I go through them in a few months just because I see something else that catches my eye.

DekuStick on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Those two mice about are very different. I've also owned both, both are good, as is the Deathadder. The Deathadder and the Sidewinder are both palm mice, the G9 is a fingertip mouse. I ended up preferring the G9 over the other two.

Cabezone on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The g500 is a lot like the g5/mx518
    Logitech-Gaming-Mouse-G500_1.jpg

The scroll wheel changes between the notched movement and the free wheel movement. Kinda nice. Does side-scrolling too. 2 DPI buttons, three side buttons, one of which is programmable. It's a pretty nice fit.

Mustachio Jones on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been partial to logitech mice, mainly the venerable MX 518, for a while. I don't see what's wrong with both side buttons on the left unless you are left-handed, and the MX518's fit my thumb perfectly. On the other hand, the other buttons are fairly worthless and the shape is intended more for large hands (I have large hands).

I bought a $20 5-button intellimouse for my parents (this one actually) and it is an unmitigated piece of shit - amazingly cheap construction, side buttons are not really very useful since they aren't actually placed under the fingers that will be pressing them and go in too far (while at the same time the one on the right is incredibly easy to hit by accident), shape feels slightly off, light as a feather. Its only redeeming attribute is that it's slightly better than the mighty mouse it replaced.

Kinda makes me wish I'd just gone with one of those classic 3-button black logitechs that are all over the place and actually really great for $15.

That is actually an extremely popular mouse

LaCabra on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »

True, all oldschool counter-strike pros use intellimouse 2.0. Never really been a fan myself though, think its a bit too floppy.

Sparvy on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »

True, all oldschool counter-strike pros use intellimouse 2.0. Never really been a fan myself though, think its a bit too floppy.

I'd say its about a 25% of them using Intelli's. The rest usually have Razers or SteelSeries. Still though, damn popular mice. I loved my Intelli Explorer 3.0

DekuStick on
    edited November 2009
    Intellimouse 2.0 or 3.0 is not the same as the one I linked, not at all. I've used them - not blown away such that I'd buy one for FPS gaming, but not bad per se, and having experience with them was the reason I felt I couldn't go wrong getting an MS mouse, for under $20. However, the 1.1 feels like a hollow piece of cheap plastic and doesn't fit the hand very well, and the side buttons are beyond shitty. My family has all complained about it at one time or another (again, not as much as the mighty mouse) and even a neutral third party guest remarked that it felt odd and a little frustrating to use.

Guess I'm just a contrarian, but I feel like I've used a lot of Mice with a mere 3 buttons in the same price range that felt more solid and easy to use.

LoneIgadzra on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love my ancient Logitech MX500 with all my heart.

Oh and I had Intelimice Explorers 1.0, 3.0 and 4.0 and I'd never touch one of them again after the Mx500

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This thread reminds me that I should really replace my mx518 since it has lost all the teflon pads...

Roland_tHTG on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want a good wired mouse that has a 'back and forward' button on the left side of the mouse, 2 main buttons and a good scroll wheel. Under 30$. Everything I have found that looks good is like 40$.

projectmayhem on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want a good wired mouse that has a 'back and forward' button on the left side of the mouse, 2 main buttons and a good scroll wheel. Under 30$. Everything I have found that looks good is like 40$.

then I guess you'll have to spend 10 bucks more.

The MX500 does all that, BTW, but I have no idea how much it costs.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2009

I've looked for such a thing too, I don't know that it exists. I do know that I ultimately did not regret buying an MX 518 though. Even though the other buttons are not that great, it just feels good - like I can't possibly miss no matter what I need to click. Now this is the only kind of mouse I buy, but I suppose I ought to try some other things for the hell of it at some point.

LoneIgadzra on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I've looked for such a thing too, I don't know that it exists. I do know that I ultimately did not regret buying an MX 518 though. Even though the other buttons are not that great, it just feels good - like I can't possibly miss no matter what I need to click. Now this is the only kind of mouse I buy, but I suppose I ought to try some other things for the hell of it at some point.

That is pretty much what I want. Maybe it will go on sale tomorrow. Looks really nice.

projectmayhem on