As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey its a loomdun, and he is drawing stuff, how neat [NSFW]

1101112131416»

• Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yes thats basically it, I look through structural deficiencies and figure out what form of measurement was done or not done in there and eliminate what habits could of possibly been developed in the past while reinforcing newly learned things.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    QUIT COPYING ME

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    sorry metal, Im a slow poster.

Loom, I think you'll have to be a little understanding that some people will give you advice on that stuff in passing, not really meaning "you SHOULD do" but "Consider this". Particularly for you, since people don't give you too much shit for sometimes being terrible in saying what you mean, You'll have to give up some benefit of doubt. You cant freak out if 10% of it doesnt apply, just ignore it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my problem with this is that you've posted that you're going to report comments you don't like for mods to remove

it is not up to the mods to delete people's comments just because you don't like them
    if you don't agree with what someone has to say, ignore it and move on with your life.
    we've suggested that people look at someone's wants and needs as an artist and keep that in mind when critting, but if they don't, unless it's absurd, it's not infractable, you can just simply tell them that what they're suggesting isn't in line with your personal needs as an artist or you could just ignore it completely.

this is all covered in the welcome thread that you should read if you haven't.
    but i'm telling you right now, we're not deleting posts or infracting people because you don't like their suggestions. that's not how this place works and that would take entirely too much time for us to go through and do shit like that for everyone's thread

people get infracted for doing things that are offensive/against the rules/or just so completely unconstructive it's just ridiculous.
    what you're saying does not fit into these categories.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    even with asking this i'm pretty aware that people will still be posting it, and yah I will be ignoring it in general but I cant standddd it so i'm just saying for the sake of my sanity the people who most likely are reading this will generally have given advice, and therefore reduce the amount of unwanted posts and only really be when random lurkers come by or something.

Okay that request I made in particular was a bit off the top but jeeze louise stop the advice hurghhhhhh

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i'm fine with that, just remove the part about you reporting posts to be removed
    because that's not going to happen

other than that, there's nothing wrong with politely suggesting the types of crits you want.
    you should probably specify as you did for us here what you mean though, because it really does sort of sound like you're asking not to get crits

people should understand that you're being taught a specific process and are going to adhere to that, that's not out of the question at all. and it's good to state somewhere that this is what you're looking for with crits,

but again... i mean like you said, how likely is it that a newcomer is going to read your first post?
    you're gonna get crits and suggestions you don't like... it's just part of being in a community like this
    learn to ignore them, or maybe even try to see what the person is trying to say, think about it from their point of view, even if you don't put it to practice

you'd be amazed at how much you can learn if you open your mind a bit to other people's practices and approaches. but if that's not what you want, no one can fault you.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    by opening my mind to other peoples practices and approaches while i was less educated in art in general, I have developed tons of horrible habits that I am still unlearning to this day, i'll make sure to clarify the first post though so yes thank you and its what I wish.

For further clarification I intend to go back to studying how other people work again in the future, but that is something not needed currently where I should be developing my foundations

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i still don't like the way you have that worded
    it sounds arrogant and like you're telling people you don't need crits
    which completely defies the very purpose of this sub forum

try something like this

"in posting my work here, i'm looking for structured critiques on the forms and figures i am drawing. for example, if you notice that one arm is longer than the other, foreshortening is off on one leg, etc. I am not looking for suggestions on different approaches and techniques to drawing. I am a student at Watt's Atelier and so I adhere to the techniques they are teaching me there. While I appreciate that there are other approaches to this sort of drawing, this is the one I'm most comfortable with, and the one I am learning at the moment, so it's the one I will continue to use in my practice"

does this cover what you want?

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i'll useee that and reword one part thankss

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    no prob!

edit: you got rid of it, much better wording.
    now you don't sound arrogant and more like you're trying to get some structured crits
    hopefully it'll work out for you a bit better now

and really, if people post stuff you don't like, it's as easy as a) ignoring it b) asking them to read your first post to get an idea of what you're looking for.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ignoring a crit seems to be the most obvious option rather than trying to bend the forum to your will. As Beavs said, just ignore what you don't think is usefull. Every crit should be mentally filtered for worth anyway.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sigh.. sadly, I've seen a lot of people like you in art schools/ateliers loom. My only advice is to be more open minded regardless of where the advice/critique is coming from.. sure you can ignore it, and some of it you should(without saying anything), but to right things off like that can sometimes hurt you as well. Yes, you're getting a foundation right now.. and believe me, years down the road you may even begin to question what you're learning right now. It doesn't seem that way right now, but thats because you're still working from a limited knowledge base. As you grow, hopefully you'll open up to more and more new things, not because you want to change the way you're working(you will though), but because you can learn from everything and adapt it with what you're already doing and maybe come up with something even better.. /rant. heh.. you're doing great though, and you're making great progress.

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just make with the arts and the sketches broski!

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!