As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minaret Ban in Switzerland?

Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Social Entropy++
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34191036/ns/world_news-europe/

So, apparently the Swiss have moved to ban the construction of Minarets in the country?
Like, through popular support.

A Minaret is one of these:
1260181-Minaret-of-the-Grand-Friday-Mosque--Male-1.jpg

The campaign for it was apparently largely based on the idea that there was an internal push for power by the Muslim population within the state, even though there is only a six percent Muslim population, and only twenty percent of those Muslims practice

Oh,
and holy crap
The People's Party has campaigned mainly unsuccessfully in previous years against immigrants with campaign posters showing white sheep kicking a black sheep off the Swiss flag and another with brown hands grabbing eagerly for Swiss passports.
"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said. They noted that Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has compared mosques to Islam's military barracks and called "the minarets our bayonets."

So um,

What the fuck?

The lastest of eff-emms.
P: 1634 0144 0510
HG: 5285 4128 5154
Chompskers. on

• Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SAVE WIMBLE'S HOME

STOP THE BAN OF MINARET

Robcham on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wimble is from sweden!

FAQ on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    teefs is gonna be mad about this

unintentional on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    minnowret

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, how dare over people govern themselves in ways Teefs doesn't agree with.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    minnowret
    45px-BrettFavre.jpg
    Mini Brett

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is really confusingly disturbing.

Also, I'm not sure if it applies here, but my usual rant about European politics and religion: you open a can of worms when you get the government involved, even a little. If it's legal to regulate speech or make religion-based regulations for reasons that liberals like (cultural sensitivity, anti-racism, etc.) then it's also legal for the other side to ban minarets.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ban green lizards and keep the wimbles from stealing our jobs

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought Swiss people were pretty!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Here are the posters you mentioned in the OP.

udc%2Ben%2Bsuisse%2B-%2Bmouton%2Bnoir.JPG

photo_1254925717595-1-0.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2009
    i thought this was going to be a swiss footloose thread

Unknown User on
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Its not like they are banning the building of Mosques or forbidding people from practicing the religion. Sure its harsh, but its not that terrible.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    i thought this was going to be a swiss footloose thread

That would be Minuet Ban in Switzerland featuring Kevin Baconborkksvenson

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    gazamc wrote: »
    Its not like they are banning the building of Mosques or forbidding people from practicing the religion. Sure its harsh, but its not that terrible.

Minarets are an integral part of mosques.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    i love Kevin Baconborkksvenson's band, but his acting has fallen off big time.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    it's kind of a crucial thing for mosques to have minarets though

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    religion of peace

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

this right here is a pretty bad post

the issue at hand isn't that this ban is something teefs will likely disagree with, though I should hope that's true

the issue is that this appears to be a morally unsupportable decision by the swiss. "comparable with forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls?" really?

fakeposting about how this is just fine simply so you can disagree with teefs (before she's even showed up!) is pretty dumb

redhead on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Well from a little googling there are apparently over 100 mosques in Switzerland, but only 4 Minarets. So they can't be that crucial.

gazamc on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    redhead wrote: »

the issue at hand isn't that this ban is something teefs will likely disagree with, though I should hope that's true

the issue is that this appears to be a morally unsupportable decision by the swiss. "comparable with forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls?" really?

fakeposting about how this is just fine simply so you can disagree with teefs (before she's even showed up!) is pretty dumb

laws are not morals

fuck off

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    laws are not morals

fuck off

this is definitely true

but what are you getting at, bro

redhead on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    minarets for some, tiny American flags for others

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    its a bro out page 1

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    redhead wrote: »

You missed the point and crashed your post right into mine and into a field in Pennsylvania.

Hunter on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    minnowret
    45px-BrettFavre.jpg
    Mini Brett

this post

RubberAC on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh shit

WW3's gonna start any time now

also what happened to swiss neutrality?

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hunter, go into the science thread and start telling us about shit you've been melting at work. It's been ages since I had a good SCIENCE read.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's sort of funny how evangelicals here will probably bring this into some sort of "this is why separation of church and state is bad," even though this is the exact opposite of that.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hunter, you are not going to go there.

(If you do I'll have to get the popcorn.)

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Well from a little googling there are apparently over 100 mosques in Switzerland, but only 4 Minarets. So they can't be that crucial.

The more conservative mosques don't build them and in some towns they aren't allowed to do the calls to prayer from them (issues with how loud it is) so they do the calls elsewhere. Minarets do serve a purpose but not all mosques are able to make use of them.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Teefs isn't a real muslim anyway

she doesn't wear a moon and star lapel pin so

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, that part of my company died due to our wonderful US economy. Now I'm doing analytical testing for the parent company.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On one hand, HMMM SWITZERLAND.

On the other, speaking from experience and having lived in a muslim country for many years MINARETS ARE LOUD AND ANNOYING AS HELL and go off FIVE TIMES A DAY. Imagine church bells doing the same thing and you'll get an idea of how low my tolerance for these things are.

One of these prayers is the pre-dawn service. They're getting up and yelling at everyone in super-megaphone range to get to the mosque while it's still black outside. Rarrgh

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The more conservative mosques don't build them and in some towns they aren't allowed to do the calls to prayer from them (issues with how loud it is) so they do the calls elsewhere. Minarets do serve a purpose but not all mosques are able to make use of them.

So really there is a whole big fuss being kicked up about a small point. Its a little harsh that they are not going to be allowed to build anymore. But they already have one in each of the major cities in Switzerland, and they are not an integral part of every single Mosque. Eh.

gazamc on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    minnowret
    45px-BrettFavre.jpg
    Mini Brett

this post

i love that post so much

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Across the country, there are only two small minarets, one in Zurich and one in Geneva, neither of which are permitted to make the call to prayer. In Switzerland's capital Berne, the largest mosque is in a former underground car park.

Er, from BBC

So I need to edit my op then...
    and change the word Mosque to Minaret.
    Ah mistakes.

Still, its pretty insane that a fear campaign (over a a Muslim push for political power) could be waged over a Muslim population that weighs in at about 350,00

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
  • Options
    sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    i love Kevin Baconborkksvenson's band, but his acting has fallen off big time.

i stagehanded for his band once, he was a dick, and the music was the most mediocre i ever heard, like exceptionaly mediocre

sligmasta on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I kind of think you're missing the point

these people want to ban minarets because they are a conspicuous symbol of Islam

they are trying to legislate based on a distrust of a different culture

That's even the way they're promoting their ideals! It's not "ban minarets because they're a hazard to low flying aircraft", it's "Ban minarets because muslims are bad."

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    if there was a way to do it without my wife knowing, I would withdraw all of my money in my swiss accounts and put them into cayman accounts instead

Unknown User on
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I know it's horrible, but that sheep poster makes me laugh. As in, if there was no backstory, the sheep are cute.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
This discussion has been closed.