As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tascam US-122 audio interface problems

KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought a Tascam US-122 mk-II USB audio interface, and I'm having an odd problem with it. When I plug my electric guitar directly (no amp) in to the line/guitar jack and set the switch to guitar mode, I get some popping/crackling static noises while I play. Not severe, but I can hear them on recordings. If I set the switch to line-in mode and turn up the gain, I don't get any unwanted noise. Is this a common problem with these things, am I doing something wrong, or is my unit defective?

Thanks

Klorgnum on

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you tried turning down the gain on the other channel? Theres a bit of bleed through between them.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Have you tried turning down the gain on the other channel? Theres a bit of bleed through between them.

I just tried it, but I didn't have any luck.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is the cord connecting them near any other sort of power cord? With my setup, wrapping my guitar cable around a power cord of some sort produces a similar thing.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is the cord connecting them near any other sort of power cord? With my setup, wrapping my guitar cable around a power cord of some sort produces a similar thing.

The whole setup is fairly close to my laptop, although if I move further away it doesn't seem to make any difference. I'll try again later though.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Okay, I tried setting everything up as far away from my computer as the cables would permit, but no luck (I even ran the laptop off of battery power).

I made a short recording of the problem. Notice the popping at the beginning of each note and the crackling at the end of the last note.

test.mp3 - 0.35MB

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    PsygooPsygoo Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I have the exact same problem.
    Do you solve it, Klorgnum?

Psygoo on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    at first blush it sounds like your cpu's getting clogged by having latency set too low, but it doesn't make sense that it'd work fine set one way but not the other if it is a cpu issue.

do you have another guitar to test the interface with? also switch out cables, see if that helps any.

but really you're gonna want to mic up an amp or use a modeler anyway, in which case you'd be using line-in or the XLR ins.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In the line in same problem
    when the SIG/OL indicators light up (-30db) the noise starts, when light off noise stops.
    I thought it was a power problem and I buy a usb powered hub, but no luck.

Yes I try other cable and a mic instead of my bass guitar.

thanks.

Psygoo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I never fixed it. I returned mine to the store and exchanged it for the same model. The new one also has the problem. I've tried other cables and other guitars, no luck.
    Psygoo: You have the same problem, but when it's set to line in? You should probably just return it to the store, if you can.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    yes, but in guitar mode is more significant, because is amplified, I think is the green led that induces noise when lights up. Maybe i change with another model/brande...

thanks.

Psygoo on