As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAXsassins

• DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well, it's day 3 and I still have my watch. I've seen Theresa and Jinx (of course) and they were watchless from the first moment. Assassinated or just never started? Who knows...

I've bumped into 3 other guys who were in the game. Two with watches, one assassinated.

No sign of my target.

It'd be great if we could get some kind of update posted. How many ninjas are actively out there?

Oh, and as my friend suggested, we should go FFA. :D

DJBreslin on
  • tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I got the first kill, only to be later killed while shaking hands with my assasin, I let my guard down.

But, taking Legacy down 3 steps into the center was priceless.

tmonkey on
    edited August 2005
    Hell yes!!! I just made my first kill. Unfortunately, he no longer has a dossier, so I don't know what my next target is. He knew the name, so I guess I could ask everyone with a watch if they are "X".

I guess I'll be contacting ctishman, but I fear it will be in vain.

DJBreslin on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    tmonkey wrote:
    I got the first kill, only to be later killed while shaking hands with my assasin, I let my guard down.

But, taking Legacy down 3 steps into the center was priceless.

I shall KILL YOU.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited August 2005
    I just almost got killed. An Enforcer slipped her finger under my watch and tugged lightly while asking "Are you LogicLB?" I was happy to answer "no" and she stopped tugging... blaming a crappy web cam shot for the misidentification.

Hellsap... if you're out there... show yourself!!!

DJBreslin on
  • LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    DJBreslin wrote:
    I just almost got killed. An Enforcer slipped her finger under my watch and tugged lightly while asking "Are you LogicLB?" I was happy to answer "no" and she stopped tugging... blaming a crappy web cam shot for the misidentification.

2nd floor....come get me!

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • LogicLBLogicLB Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    DJBreslin wrote:

2nd floor....come get me!

LogicLB on
    renton_tracks.jpg
  • gray mattergray matter Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I successfully killed 4 targets without being killed during PAX.

NephriJ, Mr. Postman, FD Jinx, and Snow Ghost have fallen by my stealthyness. Andwarf, my last target was mysteriously never seen.

This was awesome. Can't wait until next year.

gray matter on
    GrayMatterSig.jpg
  • kolekole Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    i didn't kill any other targets and didn't get killed

i started to flash Mr.Handerson's picture around asking people if they saw this person...

it was fun, i'll do it next year.

kole on
    edited August 2005
    I was able to kill Super... and that was it. I didn't see him until Sunday. The kill was sweet though.

I tracked him for a good 3 or 4 mins before the assassination. He was carrying a box of some sort and I noticed his watch was heavily taped (not in a devious way). I was afraid if I pulled and it didn't break, all the shit he was carrying would tumble to the ground.

We rode up the short escalator first... me trailing a few guys behind. Then as he rounded to the big escalator, he set his box down on the right side hand rail. I inserted my finger between watch and wrist and the escalator did all the work for me.

Unfortunately, without a picture of his target, I could do no more. But from that point on, I asked every single person wearing a watch if they were Hellsap. (And I was only slightly sure that's who my next target was anyway.)

Definitely do it again next year, but perhaps make it FFA or have more checks and balances in the game to make sure it doesn't fall apart.

DJBreslin on
  • SparhawkSparhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    It should have been organized earlier so it wasn't so last minute like this time. I am reading a lot of forum posts about people who didn't know who their next targets were/what they looked like. I think next time we have to have someone who has a complete list of dossiers and a list of who has who. Then when you make a kill, if your corpse doesn't have the name/photo of the next person, then you can report to the head honcho to get your info. You should probably also have to check in with the Boss after a being killed to update the "food chain. " And maybe we want to get a prize together for the winner? I was thinking along the lines of a T Shirt that said "Master PAXassin" and had some cool artwork. Anyway, next year I'll be sure I can come all of the days so I can play =/

Sparhawk on
    46BB69AC76FF7.png
  • Combat WombatCombat Wombat Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I'm alive, I never finished B:L (I got more a large chunk of watch face, I couldn't hook the whole thing as it was tight on his wrist. I had one attempt on my life, but after tracking my assassin, I never saw him.

Combat Wombat on
    sigheil.gif
    edited August 2005
    At the very least, I'd like to get an update of what happened this year. Out of the list of names, who got killed and by who? Who wasn't even there (that we can tell)? Why isn't tmonkey's named on this list (from the website)? Did you play under a different name?

Seems like gray matter was the master assassin, though he should get only 1/2 a point for the FragDoll kill. ;-)

Update the list with what you know...
      Kole Teagan Super... (dead, assassinated by DJBreslin) DigitalOdin HellSap NSNick Legacy (dead, assassinated by tmonkey) MrPulsar SmallLady CombatWombat Drakenul Yogsothoth Mjstrwy DJBreslin (ALIVE) Element Brian Chillpenguin B:L Highfire Raiden333 LogicLB SnowGhost (dead, assassinated by gray matter) GrayMatter MrPostMan (dead, assassinated by gray matter) FD Jinx (dead, assassinated by gray matter) Theresa Borfase RKhoo Trillian Jrunder Andwarf KB Nephirij (dead, assassinated by gray matter) mrhanderson

DJBreslin on
  • TheresaTheresa Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I contacted CTishman with the phone number he left to have him send me another copy of the watch (since the link on the forum didnt work and it wasnt on the website) and did not get any reply.

So I was wondering around without the watch :(

Theresa on
  • tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I got in a little late to make the website list, but I was assasinated at PAX through cunning deception by Highfire.

tmonkey on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    I never even saw my target (Jrunder). I did see about six other people with watches on, but none made an attempt to take me out. I'm glad to hear that at least some of you guys saw some action though.

I'm more than up for doing this again, especially if we can get more people into it. Perhaps next year we should have certain hours when people will make certain that they'll be at the convention (kills could still be made at any time inside the convention, but that way there'll be a time when everyone is there). I was there all three days, but I didn't usually roll out of bed to get to PAX until about 11 or 12.

I'd probably be more disappointed, but I had too much fun with the rest of PAX to care.

(PS Either Khoo forgot to wear his watch or he got tagged early on, he was watchless at the first concert)

Unknown User on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    MjStrwy wrote:
    (PS Either Khoo forgot to wear his watch or he got tagged early on, he was watchless at the first concert)

He got attacked very early on.

But I'm sure I was the first to die. >_>

Legacy on
    edited August 2005
    I killed my target Yogsothoth and his target Small Lady on the first day. An attempt was made on me on the second day. On the third day I was unable to wear my watch, so lost by default.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    It was a most humiliating defeat.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    Yogsothoth wrote:
    It was a most humiliating defeat.

I doubt yours was two steps into the center on the first day when the doors opened. I was one of the first ten or so people in...

Legacy on
  • jrunderjrunder Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I killed Teagan, NsNick, Raiden333, and Borface
    MjSrwy wrote:
    I never even saw my target (Jrunder).
    I was at PAX the entire time

jrunder on
    edited August 2005
    You got my target? I never saw him.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    NSNick wrote:
    You got my target? I never saw him.

yeah i was actually talking to him in line for friday's concert before i got you. so i easily spotted him in the croud saturday morning.

jrunder on
    edited August 2005
    jrunder wrote:
    I was at PAX the entire time

I don't doubt it, but your ninja skills obviously outclass mine. Of course, it probably didn't help that my printer was running out of ink when I printed your picture, so you came out the same shade as an Oompah-loompah. If only you were that color, you would have been much easier to spot.[/quote]

Unknown User on
  • gray mattergray matter Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    DJBreslin wrote:
    At the very least, I'd like to get an update of what happened this year. Out of the list of names, who got killed and by who? Who wasn't even there (that we can tell)? Why isn't tmonkey's named on this list (from the website)? Did you play under a different name?

Seems like gray matter was the master assassin, though he should get only 1/2 a point for the FragDoll kill. ;-)

Update the list with what you know...
      Kole (Alive) Teagan (dead, assassinated by Jrunder) Super... (dead, assassinated by DJBreslin) DigitalOdin HellSap NSNick (dead, assassinated by Jrunder) Legacy (dead, assassinated by tmonkey) MrPulsar SmallLady (dead, assassinated by ChillPenguin) CombatWombat (Alive) Drakenul Yogsothoth (dead, assassinated by ChillPenguin) Mjstrwy (Alive) DJBreslin (Alive) Element Brian Chillpenguin (Alive) B:L Highfire Raiden333 (dead, assassinated by Jrunder) LogicLB SnowGhost (dead, assassinated by gray matter) GrayMatter (Alive) MrPostMan (dead, assassinated by gray matter) FD Jinx (dead, assassinated by gray matter) Theresa (Alive, technically) Borfase (dead, assassinated by Jrunder) RKhoo Trillian Jrunder (Alive) Andwarf KB Nephirij (dead, assassinated by gray matter) mrhanderson

It seems my friend (Jrunder) who I was with the entire time and I tie. Also my update to the list. Please check for errors.

gray matter on
    GrayMatterSig.jpg
    edited August 2005
    I doubt yours was two steps into the center on the first day when the doors opened. I was one of the first ten or so people in...

Oh good, I was only the second person to die.[/quote]

Unknown User on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Okay, I just got home from PAX, and was without 'net access for the whole weekend. I'll admit this up front: I fucked up. I didn't build enough error-tolerance into the game, so when human error popped up, whole sections of the food chain went to shit. I did keep a sheet, and here's what I was able to deduce from it. The order here is the official one, so you can follow who was assigned to kill whom. This is as accurate as I can come by with the information I had, so if there's a kill on there I didn't note, let me know, and I'll update it.

Legacy Killed by Tmonkey
    GrayMatter Survived
    Nephirij Killed by GrayMatter
    MrPostman Killed by GrayMatter
    FD Jinx Killed by GrayMatter
    SnowGhost Killed by GrayMatter - Killing Spree!
    Andwarf Survived
    CombatWombat Survived
    Trillian Killed by CombatWombat
    B:L Killed by CombatWombat
    Kb Survived
    MrPulsar Survived
    ChillPenguin Survived
    Yogsothoth Killed by ChillPenguin
    SmallLady Killed by ChillPenguin
    LogicLB Survived
    DigitalOdin Survived
    RKhoo Killed by DigitalOdin
    Drakenul Killed by DigitalOdin
    MjStrwy Survived
    Jrunder Survived
    Teagan Killed by Jrunder
    NsNick Killed by Jrunder
    Raiden333 Killed by Jrunder
    Borfase Killed by Jrunder - Killing Spree!
    Theresa Survived
    DJBreslin Survived
    Super... Killed by DJBreslin
    HellSap Survived
    Kole Killed by HellSap
    MrHanderson Survived
    DocZero Survived
    HighFire Survived
    Tmonkey Killed by HighFire

As it is, our raid netted 16 honorable assassinations, but left 17 survivors. This means that we will be set loose upon the unsuspecting populace again next year, and plan better.

Jrunder and GrayMatter hold the record tied, with four kills apiece. The rest of you will attend a mountaintop Ninja retreat, where you will train your bodies and minds, and contemplate the enormity of your failure!!!1

No, seriously, it went off both better and worse than I expected. Better in that it actually went off at all, worse in that there were a few kills not called in to my cell phone, and that I didn't bring the supplies to make repairs to the assassination chain mid-conference. We have no Master Ninja this year, but hopefully next year will be better.

So, does anyone have updates/suggestions/criticism?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited August 2005
    There needs to be some way of attaining dossiers of victims that didn't have theirs. in regards to those who no show maybe if a person does not check in after a certain period of time they are considered disqualified and have their dossier given to the next person. for those without cell phones, or the skills to use a pay phone, perhaps an after hours meet up point to give an update and hang out with other assasins. Regardless we need to have a post carnage party at some point. If the meet up doesn't sound like a good idea then make a drop box available somewhere and have people drop a note that says (person A) killed (person B) or something to that extent.

jrunder on
    edited August 2005
    Cool... thanks for the update ctishman. Here is some feedback...

Minor: I had trouble with the watch. Made out of paper, it was easy to get wet with hand-washing, easy to tear, etc. Based on what else I saw, I'd guess others did too. I saw a lot of masking tape and I had to resort to using pieces of torn up Bawls stickers to keep mine together.

Major: The game just isn't fault tolerant enough. My buddy strongly suggests free-for-all (FFA) next time. With FFA, there is no need for target assignment, dossiers or check-ins. If someone wants to stop playing mid-game, they can just take off their watch. If they don't show, it doesn't matter. The winner is the person with the most watches at the end.

Hell, if you wanted to get fancy, you could even have people re-watch themselves after a kill and get back out there, just like frags in an FPS.

The drawback is intangible. There seems to be some spice lost without the specific targeting. What do others think?

If we do stick with single targeting, I don't see any strong reason not to post everyone's real-life pictures/dossiers on the website for consumption by all assassins. Just don't publish who's hunting who.

SmallLady... I guess that was you who tried to kill me as I watch the Katamari Omegathon round. I looked at LogicLB's picture later that day. With merely a web cam shot to go on, I can see how you might have confused us.

Theresa... So, you were my assigned assassin. I can't count the number of times you and I were standing in decent proximity. You must've been distracted. :P Of course, I wasn't even worried that you might be my assassin due to your lack of a watch. Tricky, tricky... :wink:

DJBreslin on
  • Combat WombatCombat Wombat Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    B:L and I never had our duel. I was told, by him, that "there needs to be a rule that says even a partial tear is a kill next time." Interpret that as you will.

Basically, between the fact that I got more than half of his name, and that statement up there, I feel that I got the kill.

Combat Wombat on
    sigheil.gif
    edited August 2005
    Agreed. So, on our list so far:

-Automatic Disqualifications.
    Actually, I'd rather have everyone check in with me the night before the game begins, so I can get a head start on working out the kinks. This might be a good place to have the meetup, so long as you're able to keep your goddamn mouths shut about who your target is. :) Let's say, for example we all meet in the Quiet Bar on the night before Doors Open next year. Of course, all this will change, and we might not even be at the Bellevue Doubletree, but it's a start.

Other suggestions:
    -Backup copies of player dossiers, printed and ready to distribute.
    Extra watches, too.

-Drop box (perhaps I could talk the Registration table into handling this?)
    Hell, for accountability let's have players drop the watches of those they assassinate into the box, with their handle written on it.. I'd pick it up periodically throughout the day.
    B:L and I never had our duel. I was told, by him, that "there needs to be a rule that says even a partial tear is a kill next time." Interpret that as you will.

Basically, between the fact that I got more than half of his name, and that statement up there, I feel that I got the kill.

So noted in the log.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I successfully killed 4 targets without being killed during PAX.

NephriJ, Mr. Postman, FD Jinx, and Snow Ghost have fallen by my stealthyness. Andwarf, my last target was mysteriously never seen.

Yeah, I never got touched. It was odd.

I also found my target (CombatWombat) after about two minutes, but, I mean, c'mon, PAX just started. So, I made a half-hearted effort to get his watch, he made a half-hearted effort to get away. I let him go, because, dude, it was two minutes in the door.

I never saw him again.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
    edited August 2005
    As regards FFA, I'd personally rather not do it that way, due to the stealth/hunting aspect, but it's really up to the players.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited August 2005
    Andwarf wrote:
    I also found my target (CombatWombat) after about two minutes, but, I mean, c'mon, PAX just started. So, I made a half-hearted effort to get his watch, he made a half-hearted effort to get away. I let him go, because, dude, it was two minutes in the door.

I never saw him again.

Yeah, I was the guy with him that helped him get away.

I died two steps into the Meydenbauer in the morning when I was confused as to which bag I should grab. And then he just grabbed me.

There should be a five minute rule or something. Crazy.

Legacy on
    edited August 2005
    we could make FFA a second game. have the yellow watch for paxsassins and some other colored watch for the FFA game. this would allow those that are only attending for some of the days to participate with no negative consequences to paxsassins.

jrunder on
  • AndwarfAndwarf Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Nah, just give everyone three targets. I know there are campus games (like Cambridge) where that works... surely we could make it too.

Having more people play would help a lot too.

Andwarf on
    Most inanimate objects find me at least mildly agreeable!
    edited August 2005
    Oh yeah, and I found the front half of someone's watch in the back parking lot of the Meydenbauer on the evening of Day 2. I stuck it in my Swag Bag.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited August 2005
    oh yeah i forgot to mention i don't want a ffa game

jrunder on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    DJBreslin wrote:
    SmallLady... I guess that was you who tried to kill me as I watch the Katamari Omegathon round. I looked at LogicLB's picture later that day. With merely a web cam shot to go on, I can see how you might have confused us.

wasn't me man... I knew logic wasn't gonna be there till saturday... and I was killed by the mofo in the brown shirt 5 min in the door on friday....

i was so sad!

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited August 2005
    SmallLady wrote:
    DJBreslin wrote:

wasn't me man... I knew logic wasn't gonna be there till saturday... and I was killed by the mofo in the brown shirt 5 min in the door on friday....

i was so sad!

Well, I'm not surprised to hear that. The eyes of the ninja pic you provided didn't seem to match the person I was talking about. But I just can't figure out who it was then. The person very clearly said she was looking for LogicLB. She was also an enforcer. I guess I should've actually asked her name/handle.

Anyway, yeah, I can see why we wouldn't want to go FFA, but we clearly need to have a more resilient system. I'm liking the ideas being thrown around like multiple targets (for speeding it up) and a dropbox. It might also be neat to have that face-to-face check-in before it starts so we can get a feel for who's playing.

DJBreslin on