As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Running 1080p games as 720 on the PS3

UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
I am having framerate issues with Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the PS3. The game insists on running at 1080p even though it makes the game run like a slideshow. Is there anyway to force games into 720p and still keep the PS3 running at 1080p for DVDs and Blurays?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
Uselesswarrior on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Under your video options, in the PS3 system menu, do you only have 1080p checked?

720p, 1080i and 1080p all need to be checked off.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Set the PS3 to output in 720p when you want it to output in 720p; set it to 1080p when you want 1080p. It can be annoying going back and forth frequently, but that's your only option. I don't know if it'll improve your framerate, though...sounds right in theory, but I've never noticed a difference.

Torso Boy on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well does that game even render in 1080p? I don't thing there is a huge number of console games that actually do.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited November 2009
    Well does that game even render in 1080p? I don't thing there is a huge number of console games that actually do.

Even if it doesn't, it's really damn weird that, if he does have all the options selected like I listed, it's not simply reverting to 720p by default.

Pretty much every other game does.

UnbreakableVow on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know that with all the options checked on my PS3, the XMB and movies go at 1080p, while all of the games are at 720p, even ones that are advertised as higher, such as Ninja Gaiden and Warhawk

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited November 2009
    I didn't know those were advertised as higher.

I have a few games that run at 1080p (Wipeout HD, MGS4 I believe?). The cutscenes in FFXIII are going to run at 1080p on PS3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • sobriquetsobriquet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    By the by, here's a useful thread on PS3 and 360 game resolutions. As people have said, most current generation games do not run at 1080p natively. I would say that changing your output resolution on the PS3 will do diddly for framerates.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

sobriquet on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, it's not like with a computer. I'm pretty sure the game is just shitty.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It seems to run a little better when I disable 1080, but it is a huge hassle. The framerate is pretty crappy in either mode.

Also from that linked thread.
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA)

Apparently this game is one of the very few titles that run at 1080. It is a pity that they were more concerned with the 1080p bullet point then providing a reasonable experience.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)