As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum

Kendeathwalker on

• Options
    maverickpixelmaverickpixel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like a great plan , just don't try to go to the moma on Tuesday it's closed

I love the met I've been about 3 times in the past month
    skip the smithsonian it's product design right now which I love, but most of there entries are just printed out discriptions of the products

There is this awesome store in so ho called evolution, it's a store of relics and fossils which you can buy.

Make sure you walk through central park, it's a work of art in it's own right

man I might just join you, I should take advantage of being f-unemployed

gl and have fun

maverickpixel on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    where are you staying?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had a really good time at the Strand, but then again I'm a huge book nerd, so your mileage may vary. There's also a ton of great comic stores near there.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so right now there is a tim burton exhibit at MOMA, don't know how long it is going for but yo ushould be able to catch it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my fav. activity in NYX was sketch night at the Illustrator's society. model drawing and live jazz music.

i'll look at my old itineryary when i get back home and post more info (work now)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    in Queens with a friend, I was under the impression that most things to do were on the island.

also - Thanks Maverick.

The island = Long Island, also known as not "the city".
    The city = Manhattan

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like a great plan , just don't try to go to the moma on Tuesday it's closed

I love the met I've been about 3 times in the past month

You can't go wrong with French Sculptures.

Also, the bodies exhibit in South Street Seaport is interesting if you're into that sort of thing, and by "that sort of thing" I mean strolling through a serial killer's wet dream.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get to MoMA early this week, as the Tim Burton show is selling out in the mornings unless you buy a membership. But seriously, the Burton and Bauhaus shows are both incredible and not to be missed.

supabeast on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MET!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I went to NYC in my senior year as an illustration student (+ art fan). Checked my moleskine cityguide:

My high points:
    _ Jazz & Sketch Night at the Illustrator's Society. $7 for live music and 3 hours of sketching. really relaxing, great setting (bar full of oil paintings by master illustrators). Hosted by the Society of Illustrator's. Upper East Side.
    _The Met. Altough MOMA is awesome, as somewhone who draws, i think the Met was a bit more interesting. Bring a sketchbook. I spent some fun time skeching statues and paintings (<3 modigliani). Way more fun than pictures.
    _chilling in central park is nice, bit if i only had 3 days, i don't know if i would..

I'm a big fan of children's illustration, so the store Books of Wonder was amazing for me, but i doubt it's of great interest to most people.

Pearl Paint (art supply store) was a big letdown...

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    MET!

x2

Also, the Staten Island Ferry gets you a nice free boat ride in range of the Statue of Liberty.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    LBLB Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My favorite museum in NYC is actually the Frick - you can see literally everything in it in half a day, unlike the Met, and it has a sublime collection of classical art (not that there's anything wrong with the MOMA or the Met - they are both great museums, clearly). It also has a great audio guide that's included in the ticket price! In addition, it's right next to Central Park, so you can visit the museum and then wander the park.

You could check out the Tix booth in Time Square to see if they have any deals for any Broadway shows. Off-Broadway is also great if you want to see a non-musical.

There are tons of little theaters that show older movies or current indie flicks that you really can't see anywhere else. They sell a magazine at any little corner shop that lists all the movies, plays, comedy shows, etc, each week, so you should definitely pick one of those up as soon as you get into the city.

LB on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://artcards.cc/ lists gallery openings.

Most are on Thursdays but there are some on other nights.

oldsak on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if you happen to make it into the cool borough (hint, it's not Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, or Staten Island):

http://www.superherosupplies.com/

Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co.!

it's a superhero supply store (capes, invisibility goggles, extra cans of gravity, that sort of thing) that's a front for a non-profit that helps kids with their writing... awesome IMHO

illig on