In need of a high quality printer (Lock please)

AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, a bunch of my classes require me to print out a lot of my artwork on photo paper, and I would prefer to do it from home to not only save money, but time as well.

Does anyone know of any super high quality home printers? Preferably costing no more than $500-600

AlyceInWonderland on

• Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How big do you need to print? How much printing do you anticipate doing? If you need to go to a wide format printer it may be cheaper just to print them through a local photo lab.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    just 8.5x11. Maybe even a little bigger.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    High-end Epson printers in that price range will give you the best output when they work right. The downside is that the ink is incredibly expensive, the paper feeders don’t work worth a damn, and just about everything makes them streak. I bought a high-end inkjet for senior year and I fucking hate it. Dark Moon is right—find a photo lab that will do good prints and don’t waste your money buying an inkjet. That way their money is wasted on bad prints instead of yours.

Most designers use the Epson stylus series, the 1400 will do unless you really want to go nuts with projects that look offset printed. If you have time to shop around a Canon is also a good option, but nobody ever seems to know a damned thing about models. Try going to B&H and see if they can help you pick a Canon. Whatever you get, install the newest drivers, crank the quality settings all the way up, use good inkjet paper (Staples brand matte works well and costs less than Epson paper) and turn off high-speed printing.

supabeast on
  • AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Uhg, I have an Epson, that I THOUGHT was a decent printer (I was told it was the top of the line), but it streaks, and almost always makes everything look blurry when printed. I guess I'll just go to a local print shop and not even bother with the new printer.

This thing can be locked, I guess.

AlyceInWonderland on