As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes sirs.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Finally Mirror's Edge. Only $5? I'm there.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I buy a game as a gift and send it to one of my alternate email addresses, what exactly happens?

Do I get a code to plug into Steam somewhere to claim the game? If I were to send this code to someone, would Steam tell them who sent the gift?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FUCK!

Monkey Island, Riddick, and Mirror's Edge have all been on my will-get-to-eventually list since release. $17.50 total. Thats, like, one movie.

Fine, Steam. You win. I give. Is it over now? Please?

Monger on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    Also, I just discovered that there's a Prince of Persia pack - which can only be accessed in the US. RAGE. O Americans, how much is it over there?

$44.99 US, dunno what or if the sale price was.

And damn, $5 and less is such an impulse price I find it hard to resist buying some games I'm pretty sure I won't like that much.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    FUCK!

Monkey Island, Riddick, and Mirror's Edge have all been on my will-get-to-eventually list since release. $17.50 total. Thats, like, one movie.

Fine, Steam. You win. I give.

Hardy pat on the back. You made the right choice, friend.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    If I buy a game as a gift and send it to one of my alternate email addresses, what exactly happens?

Do I get a code to plug into Steam somewhere to claim the game? If I were to send this code to someone, would Steam tell them who sent the gift?

Iirc you get an email saying 'X has bought you a gift: (game) click here to redeem it.'

I think you also get a similar popup in Steam, then the game appears in your list ready to d/l and install.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cleft had 8 dollars in his bank account.

now he own Mirrors Edge.

How much money does cleft have now?
    not enough for the other games he wants :cry:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    FUCK!

Fine, Steam. You win. I give.

Hardy pat on the back. You made the right choice, friend.
    Why do I feel so dirty?

My wallet has been violated.

Monger on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grabbed Monkey Island, ME, and Riddick.

And this is why you never buy a steam game at full price, gentlemen.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheBana wrote: »

Iirc you get an email saying 'X has bought you a gift: (game) click here to redeem it.'

I think you also get a similar popup in Steam, then the game appears in your list ready to d/l and install.

But if I email it to myself, can I just send off the link to someone myself and thus avoid them finding out who gave them the gift? Or would entering the download code result in said email all over again?

Figgy on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What happens if I try to gift someone a game they already have? Like, say I want to buy a friend a game for Christmas, but I'm not sure if they have it or not. Do I need to do something sneaky to find out if they have it, or can I just try sending it to them and see what happens?

Obviously not something to be done with big name items, but a few of the really good deals have come by lately and I've found myself thinking of just snagging a couple extras for friends, but wasn't sure what would happen if they already had the game(s) in question.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    What happens if I try to gift someone a game they already have? Like, say I want to buy a friend a game for Christmas, but I'm not sure if they have it or not. Do I need to do something sneaky to find out if they have it, or can I just try sending it to them and see what happens?

Obviously not something to be done with big name items, but a few of the really good deals have come by lately and I've found myself thinking of just snagging a couple extras for friends, but wasn't sure what would happen if they already had the game(s) in question.

You can check their profile and find out what Steam games they own.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

But if I email it to myself, can I just send off the link to someone myself and thus avoid them finding out who gave them the gift? Or would entering the download code result in said email all over again?

I don't think you can, no. I think you have to specify the account you want to gift to when you purchase.

I could be wrong though, I've only recieved Bioshock as a gift on my B'day. Never bought one for someone else.

TheBana on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Forar wrote: »

You can't gift them a game if they already own it through steam, BUT you'll still be stuck with the game.

When you buy a game as a gift, you simply have that gift on your account which you send off at a later time. It is independent of the actual checkout process.

Your best bet is to check their Steam profile, where you can see all of the games they own.

Edit: Actually, I am wrong. You enter the details when you checkout. I was going off when I bought a 4 pack, which is a bit different.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I don't think you can, no. I think you have to specify the account you want to gift to when you purchase.

I could be wrong though, I've only recieved Bioshock as a gift on my B'day. Never bought one for someone else.

I know for sure you can enter a Steam ID or an email address.

This is perplexing.

Figgy on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can tell you that if you're buying a game as a gift, you can pick someone from your friends list to gift it to. If they've already got the game on Steam, it'll tell you.

I am not certain if you pick the recipient before actually paying for it; I am mostly sure that it is so.

Rius on
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't wait for december break. I have so many games to play. I hate and love you Steam.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

You might be able to create an alt-account on steam, then gift it from that account.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Grabbed Monkey Island, ME, and Riddick.

And this is why you never buy a steam game at full price, gentlemen.

I always here people talking about how crap Steam is because their prices are soooo high compared to retail. Well yeah, some dumb publishers tend to stick with the RRP on Steam whilst the in-store stuff gets discounted. But for the most part, the things I buy on Steam have been really cheap compared to retail, because of the constant stream of crazy deals they're always having.

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have never paid full price for a game on Steam.

My account it worth $535.94, and I think I have spent not much more than £100 on it.

Edit: I have issues with Steams pricing, but it is not just "It is too expensive"

LewieP on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I have issues with Steams pricing

That's news to me!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have never paid full price for a game on Steam.

My account it worth $535.94, and I think I have spent not much more than £100 on it.

Edit: I have issues with Steams pricing, but it is not just "It is too expensive"

Don't make me repost that comic in the OP. I'll do it too!

subedii on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whoa! New Calculator with Regional Pricing!

http://www.ddgamer.com/worth.php

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    To be fair, I only care so much because I really like steam.
    Suds wrote: »

Nice.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dammit, Monkey Island is downloading at 20kb/sec and Evil Genius won't even make space for the game files because the servers are too busy.

:(

TheBana on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dammit, Monkey Island is downloading at 20kb/sec and Evil Genius won't even make space for the game files because the servers are too busy.

Man I've had Red Faction: Guerrilla downloading since Friday.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, $5 for Mirror's Edge.

Please tell me it's not worth it. :(

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Drovek wrote: »

It's worth more than double that.

LewieP on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eh, since I already snagged Monkey Island, my poor impulse control demands a sacrifice.

Mirror's Edge, I choose you.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Suds wrote: »

No comment! 8-)

Actually, it would be nice if it calculated based on cheapest sale price and returned a range, but that's asking a bit much.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OH MY GOD EVERYTHING IS SO CHEAP!

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Man I've had Red Faction: Guerrilla downloading since Friday.

...Ok, I won't complain that my Monkey Island download is going only at around 460KB/s. :x

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that Osmos is a nice game until the end. There's about 3 levels that are complete and utter fail, even when you random the layout to try to find something more favorable. I was having a great time until then.

Which ones? I felt that way about a couple of them until I realized I just wasn't thinking it through properly. One of the levels that gave me shit for a while turned out to be my favorite. (The one on the ambient
    side where you start out in the middle of a super fucking tightly packed map where most everything is bigger than you.)

I've got a couple left to go on the gravity (left) side but I just find those mechanics more annoying than overly difficult.

F3A2, F3C2, and A3B2.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoooly fuck

http://www.ddgamer.com/worth.php?account=idoliside&region=uk

just over £1000 worth of gaming! I've def not spent that though, maybe £200 or so...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Remember the calculator uses today's pricing too. I'd multiply your figure by about 2x if you bought most of your games at their "new" pricing.

Robman on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I cleared the A and S trees, but F3A...3 I think is just ridiculous. I'm not a NASA engineer, game! I'm not good at making orbital collisions happen with a minimum of shots!

EDIT: On the other hand, I've easily gotten $2 worth of enjoyment out of it.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like the first Call of Juarez, so I'll pick that up, and Evil Genius is practically free. Might look at Riddick. I hear Mirror's Edge is one of those 'keep repeating til you get it perfect' games, not a fan of those.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so the steam servers are slow for everyone else too, eh.

i guess the deals are just too good.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Drovek wrote: »

It's worth more than double that.

Damn you and my weak resistance to cheap things! D:

Drovek on