As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] Down to Oxford Branch

123457»

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Dice: (6,6,6,5,4,4,3,2,1)

SEE:

Aidan nods as Eleazar speaks, then follows when he finishes, "Your heart's in the right place, Brother Josiah, but if this were about out sin we'd be throwin' out Sister Carmel too. This choice ain't about sin."
    (dice: 4, 3)

admanb on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RAISE:
    Eleazar follows right after Aidan speaks his peace, hoping the follow up would cause the other two to reconsider. "Brother Aidan's right. This aint just John here that's in the wrong. I think we ought to let these two here state their case. I know Sister Carmel has words she'd like to say."

(8,6)
    Josiah and Bynum must see.

Dice:6,2,1

Big round for us here rob!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    (Bynum's dice: 8,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,3,2,1) (fallout: 8d4)

I'm a Branch Steward (2d8=8,4)

TAKING THE BLOW:
    Bynum wanted to say something about how his authority as Branch Steward would override anything that John and Carmel could say for themselves, that his stewardship over the people in this Branch was enough evidence. The problem was, Eleazar was a Dog, and he did have some authority over the matter. As much as Bynum hated it, he'd have to accept that the two sinners could state their case.

Though, nobody ever said they had to state it here.
    (dice: 4,4,3,3)

simonwolf on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

(dice:8,3,2,1,1,1)

TAKING THE BLOW:

Josiah racks his brain on how to respond to the dog. He knows that John has got to go. He's a cancer to the body of Oxford. At least.... he knew that. Eleazar's point is one that the young Josiah finds hard to argue with. His head drops and the rim of his hat covers his face in shadow.

(dice:8,3,1,1,1)

(dice:2) (fallout:5d4)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited November 2009
    I believe that's me?

(dice: (6,6,6,5,5,4,2,1)

John Bad Teeth (1d6=5)

RAISE:
    As the Steward's will falters, John Bad Teeth tries to pull away from him and towards Carmel.

(dice: 5,4)

admanb on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    (Bynum's dice: 8,7,6,6,5,5,3,2,1,1) (fallout: 8d4)

The big iron on his hip (2d8+1d4=6,7,1)

SEE:
    Now, the Steward had put away his gun when Eleazar asked, since it was only fair - John hadn't been putting up a fight, and it wasn't like they were coming to drag him off into the darkness and unceremoniously shoot him in the head. But when you had a hand on a man's shoulder, and a big iron on your hip, you didn't expect them to try anything stupid.

There's truth in that saying, "expect the unexpected".

Pulling out his big, shiny gun, Bynum shoved the barrel right into the small of John's back and kept him from moving away. Didn't even need to say anything threatening.
    (dice: 6,3)

RAISE:
    Keeping the gun where it was, Bynum looked over at the pair of Dogs trying to protect John from what he had coming. His lips curling back in anger, he called out at them, "You're defending this man, after what he's brought to this town? I thought your job was to protect the Faithful from sin, not protect goddamn non-believers from what they have coming!"

Pushing John forward a few paces, the Steward keeps his eyes locked on Aidan and Eleazar.

"Laziness, blasphemy," he continues, "He brought sin with him, and it'll damn well leave with him!"
    (dice: 7,6)
    Eleazar and Aidan must See.

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    (Aidan's dice: 8,6,6,6,5,2,1)

I'm philosophically curious (1d10 = 8)

SEE:
    Aidan flinches as Bynum draws his gun, and his hand twitches towards his own, but he stops himself and pulls it away. He meets the Steward's gaze and sees not just anger, but fear and shame flashing in those eyes. He takes a sharp breath and shifts his weight between his feet before he replies, "He didn't bring the sin, Steward. The sin is always around us. It lurks and waits for the faithful to show weakness," his gaze shifts from the Steward to Carmel and back, "and twists everyone it touches. You ain't gonna cut out this sin by cuttin' out one sinner."

(dice: 8, 5)

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Dice: 6,4,2,1,1
    TAKING THE BLOW
    Eleazar knows what's happening here. People resortin to blaming others for their problems. It's the first step down a terrible road. He's seen it. Thinking that removing a symptom will cure the disease. Diseases only spread if unchecked. Eleazar knows this. Seeing it happen again though... he wasn't prepared for it. The anger at one person for sins that weren't entirely his. It shocked him to see it.

(6,4,2,1)
    Dice:1 Fallout: (7d4)
    I might be boned here adman. I needs more dice.

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009
    Man, back off Rob

me and him are a team

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    Back off? Aw...

Post incoming later. On the road right now and posting from iPhone is difficult.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
    edited November 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Man, back off Rob

me and him are a team
    I dont know what you are talking about....

8-)

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009

(dice:5,5,5,5,4,3,2,2)

Raise:

Josiah lifts his head again with renewed vigor. I know what I'm doin' is right, he thinks to himself. I'm not gonna let no one talk me out of it, Dogs or otherwise.

"Did they even look repentant when you caught 'em, Brother? This is a sin, yes, and Sister Carmel is involved in it too, but John Bad Teeth here isn't even part of our faith! He don't believe in the King of Life. He don't care 'bout His statutes. Removing him is like removing temptation from the flock. If he don't go, we'll be allowing sin to continue between these two. Like the Book of Life states, 'But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.'"

(dice:5,3)
    Eleazar and Aidan must see!

(dice:5,5,5,4,2,2) (fallout:5d4)

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited November 2009
    Hmm... my see wont come till after 4PM CST tomorrow, sorry! Work sucks!

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009
    Dice: 6,6,1,1,1

TAKING THE BLOW:
    Nearly eating his own words, Eleazar takes a moment to think about what Josiah had said. Eleazar hadn't even known that John wasn't one of them.
    John ain't faithful? How could I have known? Does this change things?

"I... I didn't know..." Eleazar manages to spurt out.

(6,1,1)
    Dice: 6,1 Fallout: (10d4)

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009

(dice: 6,6,6,2,2,1)

SEE:
    "Removin' him won't solve anything. You remove him without thinkin' about why you're doin' it and what you're gonna do after, all you're doin' is cuttin' the wound from the body with no thought for the infection that's gonna set in the hole. Dogs ain't supposed to be lawmen, we're supposed to think about the bigger picture."

(6,2)
    How did this turn so ugly so quickly?

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Order for this round: Bynum, Aidan, Josiah, Eleazar.

(Bynum's dice: 8,5,5,2,1,1)

RAISE:
    The Steward's still got that gun in the small of John's back, and he isn't afraid of reminding the Mountain Man who's in charge here. He's forcing it in, physcially, leaving deep indentations on John's skin. At the same time, he's got his other leathery hand gripping John's shoulder tight, keeping the man from moving away again.

"Now you listen here, Dogs," Bynum says, almost gritting his teeth, "This man has ruined my town, turned them against him, and if they get word about what he's been doing with my damn wife, then they'll lynch him themselves. You might think you're doing the man a favour, by letting him stay, but you're just givin' him a death sentence. Kicking him out of town, now? That might just save his life."

He starts to push John's shoulder forward, digging that gun harder in the man's back.

"We can walk him out to the edge of town and keep talking."
    (dice: 5,5)
    Aidan and Eleazar must See.

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    Whoops, forgot to say who this was targetted at! Corrected in the post itself.

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    Hmm....seems like we're still waiting on the "See" from both Aidan and Eleazar and Adian's raise.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited November 2009
    I was waiting on Eleazar because I'm not sure what I want to do. :/ If he hasn't posted by this evening I'll go.

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Sorry admanb, but I'm gonna give on this one. This will have to continue outside for me at least.

GIVE
    Eleazar couldn't argue anymore inside the barn. And he knew that the town, having seen one murder in the near past wouldn't be able to handle another huge surprise like this.

"Alright Steward. We can keep talking outside."
    Keeping my 6

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009
    GIVE:
    Aidan throws his hands up in resignation and steps away from the doorway.
    Keeping a 6.

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Fallout!!!!

Fallout: 51d4=(1, 3, 2, 1, 2)

Got 5 for short-term fallout and a 1 for experience fallout. I'll think about those and edit them into this post when I think about them. Until then, I've got a meeting to attend.

EDIT:
    Short-term fallout: Take a 1d4 relationship dice with Eleazar. Of everyone there, Josiah figured at least Eleazar would be on his side...

Experience fallout: Increase the side of my relationship dice with Steward Bynum to 1d8. Josiah is starting to respect the man for standing for what's right even when opposed by Watchdogs.

Let me know if those sound good.

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited November 2009
    Fallout (8d4=3,4,1,4,4,1,3,1)

Long-term fallout: Add an extra d4 to his relationship with the Dogs.
    Experience: Add 1 to Acuity, pushing it up to 7.

Still need to get Fallout done for everyone, then we'll progress to the next part of this scene!

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    Fallout! (10d4=27)
    Wow, only one 1 in 10d4.... I have to go to work, but will edit in my fallout results when I get home.

Taking 1d4 Trait: "Sometimes I speak before I have all the facts"

Bumping my 1d4 Relationship with Sister Carmel to a 1d6 Relationship.

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009
    I edited in my fallout stuffs. Thought the thread could use a hand back onto the front page though! :P

kuhlmeye on
    edited November 2009
    With force, Steward Bynum pushes and shoves that John Bad Teeth out of the barn and into the night. The moon's out in all its splendor, now, illuminating the town and its surrounds with a light blue glow. The Steward glances to the left and pushes John that way, and everyone knows where they're heading - out to the edge of town, where the Dogs rode in.

Carmel, she's following behind the Steward at a distance, keeping behind the Dogs that chose to follow Bynum.

Nobody's out here, beyond the group - but up in the top floor of the ranch house, there's a light coming from a window. Standing there, watching the fuss below her, is Dinah. Then she's gone from the window, and the light filters out of it undisturbed.

John Bad Teeth, he isn't making a fuss. Not while that revolver's dug in his back, at any rate. Unlike the rest of the people in this town, he doesn't believe in the King of Life and his protection. He's got to look after his own hide, and if that means letting himself get shoved around by a leathery old man, so be it.

simonwolf on
    edited November 2009
    As the group walks towards the edge of town, Josiah catches up to the Steward and says to him, "I apologize for blockin' your way earlier, Steward. You've done a fine job of dealing with this situation. Hope we can put that whole incident behind us."

The group continues to walk to the edge of town. This was going too easily in Josiah's mind so his hand stays near his revolver.
    Edited in my fallout above!

EDIT:
    Sorry to add this here, but damn Simon. You're really putting a beating on those Memphisto folk. Esau's just saving everyone's lives but at some point he's going to fail. Definitely threw in a twist I didn't expect. Very exciting!

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    edited November 2009
    Aidan drops back behind the rest of the group and alongside Carmel. "I'm sorry," he says quietly, "this won't be the end of this."

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Dead? :(

admanb on