As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] I hear there's a sale on

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
steamlogom.png

WHAT IS STEAM?

20041015h.jpg

Except that this has all been resolved now, and pretty much every major publisher has many or most of their games up on Steam, the fast, free digital distribution platform that lets you download the best PC games in your underpants, while serving you demos, trailers, slightly-delayed patches, and the like.

WHAT'S NEW WITH STEAM?

Check the Steam News page for all your Steam... news.

PENNY ARCADE + STEAM = COOKED PENNY ARCADE?

No, PA + Steam = awesome. First of all, you've got this thread. In this thread we talk about new Steam releases (what's worth buying, what isn't, what's on sale, etc). We also do other cool stuff, like check prices in US DOLLARS for LewieP of games that don't have anything to do with Steam, or get off on tangents about puppies or DRM! Sometimes, this place is like one giant thread for PC gaming and Steam goes and sits in a corner downloading an update to Day of Defeat: Source.

Second: Here is the Penny Arcade Steam Group! Someone reading this thread ought to be able to invite you, as long as you can provide your SteamID. The group is basically useless but it would be ludicrous not to have a Penny Arcade presence on the coolest digital distribution system this side of GoG.com! It actually IS helpful to join, because it identifies you as a Penny Arcader on the Internet and makes it easy from the PA forums who you friend to say "oh, right, I know this guy from the Steam thread." We're the most wangalicious group, too.

With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free! HE SAID HE WOULD KILL ME IF I DID NOT WRITE THIS OH GOD SAVE-You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Also there are some Penny Arcade Steam Groups you may enjoy (this is only a sampling!):
Plain old Penny Arcade
PAX Forumers
Penny Arcade League
You get the idea. This Steam thread is not the place for these groups; they live in their own threads. For example, the Armed Assault PA Steam Group (PAJOE) is in the Armed Assault thread, whereas the Company of Heroes PA Steam Group is in the CoH thread, and so on.

Cool stuff on the Steam website:
Grand list of all price reductions. This is slightly obsolete now that the store has a "Sales" tab but it's still useful.
Steam skins to make it look less like army boot camp
Awesome stats
The store page in case you want to, you know, buy some games or something

IF I BUY A GAME FOUR TIMES BECAUSE I'M STUPID CAN I GIFT THE EXTRA COPIES? WHAT IF I BUY A 2-PACK EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY OWN ONE OF THE GAMES?
You can't really do that. In almost every case, if you buy a Steam game, it's for you and you alone, even if you already own a copy somehow. If you want to give the game to someone else, buy it as a gift, not for you. Steam is a selfish service or a selfess service, but almost never both at once. Gift or buy, but do not combine!

I WANT TO REGISTER MY GAME ON STEAM BECAUSE STEAM IS SEXIER THAN MY WIFE
Good idea! Unfortunately Valve games are just about the only games that let you do it. If you want to see if you're lucky though, here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

WHY DOESN'T NOVALOGIC SELL DELTA 4OURCE 5: ROID RAGIN' 'RINES IN MY HOME OF SOUTHERN BUTTCRACKISTAN?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. In the meantime, America has lots of free space for immigrants.

MY STEAMS IS BORKED D:
Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.
Suds wrote: »
Holy shit! Left 4 Dead Sigs!

l4d_sig.png

Get yours now!

steamopedit.jpg

THE THREAD TITLE ALSO HAS "SOURCE" IN IT
Yeah, this is a great place to talk about Source mods and Source games. Source is the engine for Valve's Half-Life 2, and all that jazz is linked intimately to Steam, so you can bet that most people in here are pretty big fans of the Half-Life series and are willing to try out the newest mod that's been released or take a look at your Hammer map or something. This is the Valve thread just as much as it is the PC games thread. Post your favorite mods we might not have heard of! It's a great way to judge if there's any interest before making an entire thread.

adventureoflewiep.jpg

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Me:
    You own 56 games worth: £438.02

I spent way less than that. I haven't ever bought a full price game. A bunch of them are from promo codes, a load of them are from retail serials I got for a lot less, and the rest are from sales.

Oh, and I got HL2 free with a 9600xt.

LewieP on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very epic, Suds.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is afraid to check how much my Steam collection is worth. I don't want to contemplate how much monies I've spent.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 39 games worth: $593.13

Yeah, I haven't spent close to that much.

Also: What is the default resolution for Mirror's Edge and how do I change it? My 22 inch monitor is bitching that the input signal is out of range.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The answer to the thread title is "Not as much as LewieP ever will."

Henroid on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    57 items, $825.43, USD.

But yeah, I think I've spent maybe 200 max. I don't remember how much I paid for HL2:GOTY or Orange Box retail, and the only thing I've spent more than 20 bucks on online is the THQ pack.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do you find that out?

projectmayhem on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 62 games worth: 760.16€

Gonna grab Assault on Dark Athena thingy, never played Riddick.
    How do you find that out?

http://www.ddgamer.com/2009/11/30/new-steam-calculator/

Alegis on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    24 Game

$328

I can only think of like three I paid full price for.

projectmayhem on
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    42 for $662 and counting since Mirrors Edge will be getting added shortly. The sad thing is I've only got 3 currently installed and have played maybe half of them. Steam and it's infernal sales get me everytkme with their obscene value.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    62 for $1012. Most bought through sales but really, fuck you steam.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    79 games worth $1220.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Heya there guys! Is there anyway I could get an invite to the Steam group?

My SteamID page is: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elextremo

Thanks in advance! Unless I don't get an invite. Then I'll just cry.

Like this ---> :cry:

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 82 games worth: $1,373.69. Hell yeah, I'm in the lead! :D

BTW, if one was to buy a Bejeweled-style game, which one would be the best one?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Too damn much.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, snatched Mirror's Edge and Riddick for 15 bucks. Never played any of them, and three games for 15 dollars is ridiculous.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've never actually read the OP of these threads; those lewiep comics are incredible.

iowa on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 31 games worth: $409.70

Ricochet is not $5. I don't recall even buying it. It just showed up one day, like a squatter.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Roshin wrote: »
    You own 82 games worth: $1,373.69. Hell yeah, I'm in the lead! :D

BTW, if one was to buy a Bejeweled-style game, which one would be the best one?

If you are quick, Quantz is worth looking at.

LewieP on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very epic, Suds.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is afraid to check how much my Steam collection is worth. I don't want to contemplate how much monies I've spent.

You own 34 games worth: $719.67

Mine:

You own 164 games worth: $2,872.90

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    1 game for $0.00

Pretty accurate.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very epic, Suds.

Mine:

AAARGGGH. You just had to do that, didn't you?

Though, like almost everyone, I didn't pay for most of those at full price. Probably only Fallout 3, DA:O, and maybe one other did I pay full price for.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How bad is tages? besides the 3 activations.

Shabooty on
  • nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very epic, Suds.

Mine:

D:

nefyave on
    bannerpa.jpg
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very epic, Suds.

Mine:

Holy Jesus, thats alot of games.

Me: You own 32 games worth: $664.69

Melkster on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never get tired of those comic edits.

I own 55 games worth 835.47€

What happened to the old calculator that took packages into account?

Peewi on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, being a bit late to the party here (for today's sale at least) - is there any reason for me to try to buy Riddick or is the comic above portentous for a reason?

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i think the conventional wisdom on Riddick is Hell Yes if you havent played the original. Decent still even if you have. I still play through the director's cut once a year or so, great stuff.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I never get tired of those comic edits.

I own 55 games worth 835.47€

What happened to the old calculator that took packages into account?

That's another dudes website. He's a douchebag though, so I split off months ago. Just got around to rewriting the calculator now. I do have all packages in the database, just need to figure out a good way to go about presenting it. Packages will be included. Maybe as soon as tonight.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2009
    i think the conventional wisdom on Riddick is Hell Yes if you havent played the original. Decent still even if you have. I still play through the director's cut once a year or so, great stuff.

Oh I played the original on OXBOX, so I know how cool it is. The issue is that it has never been available on STEAM here in Australia until it just appeared in this sale. I don't know if I could handle getting all the way to checkout only to be let down.

Ultimanecat on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 15 games worth: 124.86€
    and i've only spent $20!

Fuga on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's very telling of this sale that I'm now looking at Riddick, having never played any form of it, and thinking 'hmm, I dunno, 10 bucks is a lot'

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 86 games worth: $1,571.65

Eh, I've probably spent about $700-$800. Maybe less.

lol @ Wild Metal = $99.99 and each Monkey Island game coming up as $34.99 each.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited November 2009
    Hey cool it worked. Proud owner of Riddick.

Ultimanecat on
  • Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just $2.50 on Monkey Island.

My will power is amazing! :P

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, all totaled, this sale got me for Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge, Riddick, and Monkey Island. Plus, I bought Torchlight less than a week ago. And Mass Effect* when it was $10 a couple weeks ago. And Dragon Age at release.

God damn. I'm a whore. A dirty whore.

I don't even like Mass Effect. I just decided I'd take a chance on the fact that Mass Effect 2 looks significantly less broken, I want a save for it, and I refuse to play it on the 360 this time around.

Monger on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Will someone please invite me to the PA Steam Community?

langfor6 is my steam ID

langfor6 on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For whatever reason, I'm not in the PA Steam group. Would someone be so kind as to extend an invite? I'm GMaster7 on there as well.

Also, I held off on some of the deals for fear of having too much to play during finals. I only grabbed Batman and Mirror's Edge, but I'm thinking that I'll have to buy the THQ pack before going to bed... or else I won't be able to fall asleep. We'll see. I really wish that Fallout 3 had been included in the deals, and I regret not picking up a few things (namely Dead Space), but I still need to finish Torchlight and some Wii games. Plus, there's always Christmas!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    goddamn mirror's edge is going 34 kps.

usually i get 1.1 megs a second, but this is atrocious.

Evil Multifarious on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You own 15 games worth: $159.86

Actually I spent $60.

I paid $55 for Dragon Age Digital Doodad Edition and $5 for HL2: Ep 2.

Half-Life 1 and all its companion games were gifted by a friend IRL. Some nice person here gifted HL2 and EP 1 to me a few years ago.

langfor6 on
  • LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, while I wont be able to play any games for a month or so, I am pretty happy with my purchases this sale. Picked up Osmos and Mirrors edge so when I can I will be playing those a ton(along with l4d2 and whatever else). Heres hoping the Christmas sale has Torchlight though, that would be pretty rockin.

You own 33 games worth: $480.71

Did the math with all the sales and such and its closer to 200$. Hoorah for steam!

Lagnar on
This discussion has been closed.