As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chewed up Flywheel... $1400 to fix?

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So my car has been making some high pitched squealy sounds when I start it lately. It's a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier.

I just took it in to get the starter checked and... I was told I have a chewed up flywheel, missing some teeth. I was quoted $1400 for a new flywheel, starter, and flush the shit out of the transmission. Apparently if I don't get yet another new starter the mechanic says the new flywheel will just get chewed up again, not sure if I believe that.

Well that starter is pretty new, just got it put in less than a year ago. I don't really see why they should have to pull the transmission and put in a new starter, though really my knowledge of cars is limited.

What do you guys think?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ouch.

You generally don't have to remove much to replace a starter, but you do to replace a flywheel.

It still sounds like alot to me, but I don't know much about those cars. Get an estimate from another mechanic and you'll feel better. It's gonna cost you a fair bit to do the job though.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not experienced with cars.. but in general every person I've known with a car that the flywheel bit it, the cost of fixing it was more than the car was worth. So they just sold the car to a junkyard and bought a new one.

I'd look up the value of your car, and see if it would be more profitable to junk it and buy another one.

Also from my experience from watching them try to fix it, it depends on how much damage was done to the starter, and most of the cost is the labor on the tranny.

Definitely get another quote though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    $1400 would almost buy you a whole new engine, though that wouldn't cover the cost of install.

The mechanic's probably right about needing a new starter to go along with the flywheel. If the teeth are destroyed on one, they're going to be destroyed on both. Replacing just the flywheel and not the starter means you'll just ruin the new flywheel. And starters are, all things considered, fairly cheap. But it's the same reason when you're replacing a chain on a motorcycle, your smart bet is to replace the sprockets as well. Parts mesh together and when you replace just one, you end up ruining both parts.

It never hurts to shop around, but off the top of my head I'd say $1400 for the job isn't unreasonable, anyway. But you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The damaged flywheel is probably why you had to get a new starter put in a year ago. Since the flywheel remained damage, it's done a number on the new starter too. Replacing just the flywheel means the now damaged new starter will just continue the cycle by damaging the new flywheel.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ha, your post comes up in Google for "1998 chevy cavalier flywheel teeth damaged." That's funny.

Anyway, if the starter wasn't properly installed the first time, it would have damaged the flywheel. The flywheel has a ring of teeth around it and those teeth sync to the little gear on the starter. If the starter isn't shimmed or lined up right, the teeth won't mesh up and damage will eventually occur.

The teeth on the flywheel may have also been damaged before, damaging the first starter. Why was the starter replaced the first time? Did they say anything about the flywheel having problems before?

How'd this guy check the components? Did he pull shit apart, look at it, and then put everything back together? Or did he just stand there and listen to it make noise?

Do you have trouble starting the car at all? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission? You could just not care and drive till it breaks. Or just sell the car. The parts to fix the problem aint too expensive, it's the pulling everything apart to replace em that's the problem. Replacing a flywheel's a pain in the ass.

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The mechanic did take it apart to look at it. The old starter just straight up stopped working, I wouldn't be surprised if the new one was installed improperly and lead to my current problem.... I'm getting a second opinion but for now I guess I'm going to just drive the car as little as possible and start looking for a cheap used car. Not that I really have the money... ugh.

Thanks for the input, guys.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that's about what a 98 cavalier is worth... you should just put it out to pasture

if you're willing to take risks, you can just buy a starter and swap it in yourself... it'll die again in a few months, (or weeks, depending on the condition of the flywheel)

illig on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How well kept is the rest of the car? If this car's in good shape apart from this starter/flywheel why risk getting another used car with possible worse problems?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The flywheel has a ring of teeth that the starter engages. Turn the key and a solenoid activates, extends a gear from the starter to engage with the flywheel teeth, and then the flywheel turns. If the teeth on the flywheel are mangled, it'll usually lead to intermittent starting - turn the keyt and you might get a grind, a whirrr (as the starter freewheels with nothing to grab onto on the flywheel) or it'll start.

Bottom line, $1400 is a crapload of money for the fix, but considering they're going to have to drop the transmission and axles to get at the flywheel it's going to cost a lot no matter what. I'm not super familiar with Cavaliers, but work it backwards - new flywheel is maybe $150, starter is whatever (I'd buy a good used one and just inspect the teeth and provide that to the shop). Even if you spent $200 on a brand new starter though, that means he's still charging you $1000~ for the repair. If he's charging 80 an hour, thats 12.5 hours labour, a bit less if he's going to also charge for a flush of the transmission (which in this situation you won't need, as the flywheel is completely seperate from the transmission, same with the starter, so unless you're having shifting problems don't waste your money and just take 30 minutes to swap fluids yourself. If he argues chunks of flywheel are in the transmission and it needs "flushing" he's assuming you're a moron/uninformed).

Anyway, my point is that 12.5 hours for a tranny re&re is retarded. My very first time (very first, like sitting there with a book checking everything I'm doing) I did an older volkswagen start to finish in 6 hours. It's not hard work.

Shop around. Ask on the phone how many hours it'll take to change a transmission first, then start getting quotes for the flywheel. Call up LORDCO or whatever kinda parts place you can find and get the parts yourself from there.

Or, you know, just don't replace it. It's not going to harm anything at all, and you can always push start it :)

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    uean wrote: »
    The flywheel has a ring of teeth that the starter engages. Turn the key and a solenoid activates, extends a gear from the starter to engage with the flywheel teeth, and then the flywheel turns. If the teeth on the flywheel are mangled, it'll usually lead to intermittent starting - turn the keyt and you might get a grind, a whirrr (as the starter freewheels with nothing to grab onto on the flywheel) or it'll start.

Bottom line, $1400 is a crapload of money for the fix, but considering they're going to have to drop the transmission and axles to get at the flywheel it's going to cost a lot no matter what. I'm not super familiar with Cavaliers, but work it backwards - new flywheel is maybe $150, starter is whatever (I'd buy a good used one and just inspect the teeth and provide that to the shop). Even if you spent $200 on a brand new starter though, that means he's still charging you $1000~ for the repair. If he's charging 80 an hour, thats 12.5 hours labour, a bit less if he's going to also charge for a flush of the transmission (which in this situation you won't need, as the flywheel is completely seperate from the transmission, same with the starter, so unless you're having shifting problems don't waste your money and just take 30 minutes to swap fluids yourself. If he argues chunks of flywheel are in the transmission and it needs "flushing" he's assuming you're a moron/uninformed).

Anyway, my point is that 12.5 hours for a tranny re&re is retarded. My very first time (very first, like sitting there with a book checking everything I'm doing) I did an older volkswagen start to finish in 6 hours. It's not hard work.

Shop around. Ask on the phone how many hours it'll take to change a transmission first, then start getting quotes for the flywheel. Call up LORDCO or whatever kinda parts place you can find and get the parts yourself from there.

Or, you know, just don't replace it. It's not going to harm anything at all, and you can always push start it :)

Different cars have very different procedures to accomplish the same task. It takes maybe 8 hours to drop the engine in a Mazda 3, yet in my MR2 it takes about 21 if I remember right. Shopping around is always good advice, but you're comparing apples to oranges and if the OP isn't well informed about vehicles he may end up thinking EVERYONE is trying to shaft him because of that advice.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Different cars have very different procedures to accomplish the same task. It takes maybe 8 hours to drop the engine in a Mazda 3, yet in my MR2 it takes about 21 if I remember right. Shopping around is always good advice, but you're comparing apples to oranges and if the OP isn't well informed about vehicles he may end up thinking EVERYONE is trying to shaft him because of that advice.
    Well what you just compared is far more apple and oranged then what he said considering you have a mid-engined car.

But basically just go to a few mechanics and if you think its worth it (car is reliable etc) go with one that you seem to trust. Be sure to tell them the whole story, as many people here were saying, you're kinda in a circle of shit in your car killing each other.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well what you just compared is far more apple and oranged then what he said considering you have a mid-engined car.

But basically just go to a few mechanics and if you think its worth it (car is reliable etc) go with one that you seem to trust. Be sure to tell them the whole story, as many people here were saying, you're kinda in a circle of shit in your car killing each other.

The whole point was that the jobs aren't comparable because the cars can be so completely different.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The whole point was that the jobs aren't comparable because the cars can be so completely different.

Maybe I should have mentioned that my brother owned a Cavalier for a few years and I poked around in there enough to know it's not a 12 hour job.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It may not be but if the flat rate book says it's 12 that's what your going to be billed.

King Kong on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have no doubt that the cost of the repair is more than what the car is actually worth. Hell the kelly blue book trade in value lookup lists $288.

One more question for you guys though....

How long do you suppose a car with a chewed up flywheel will last? From what I understand it's only missing a few teeth so far... I'm hoping it will last me until I can get a replacement car, granted I drive it only when I absolutely need to. Anyone had experience with this?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    My stepdad was able to nurse the Dodge Ramcharger along for like.. 2 more months after the flywheel started going out before he had it junked.

Only take it when you absolutely need it. Don't go way out far and find out you can't get started again.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I only really need to be able to go get groceries and be able to move it when the parking lot needs to be plowed... thankfully I don't need it to get to work or anything like that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only really need to be able to go get groceries and be able to move it when the parking lot needs to be plowed... thankfully I don't need it to get to work or anything like that.

I drove a car with a flywheel that was missing a few teeth for almost half a year... i replaced the starter 3 times (free replacements, guaranteed by the mechanic)... the 3rd time they realized it was the flywheel and replaced that too but mine was closer to $600 all in

if you don't mind the possibility of getting stranded ( i did 3 times, the starters always died in the pouring rain, dammit) it's not that big a deal

if the car is a stick shift, you won't even get stuck, since you can push start it

illig on
  • Options
    MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    $1400 doesn't seem unreasonable due to how cramped a front-wheel drive car can be. Depending on the car it can be a pretty involved process. A rear-wheel (or mid-engine) drive makes it easier to lower the transmission out of the way.

The reason he is recommending you flush the transmission is because once it's already apart, it's trivial to flush the transmission and it's likely the car is overdue anyway. It's just good preventative maintenance.

Also, as connected parts wear they wear into each other. Back when cars had clutch fans it was recommended to replace your water pump at the same time if your clutch fan froze, since the clutch fan was driven by the water pump. Same thing with the ring around the flywheel and the starter motor. If one breaks, the gear on the other is likely to be damaged.

Also, by a trained ear or an interested hobbyist, discerning a problem with a car is pretty easy. The different mechanical interactions sound different even when they break, plus there is the location and the circumstances that cause the breaking sound. The mechanical parts of engines aren't very complicated.

So in all, no, to replace a starter you don't have to remove the transmission. To replace the flywheel you may have to. At best you have to remove the transmission from the brackets that hold it and either lift it or lower it so there is room to remove the old flywheel, align a new one, and bolt it in. Go to your local auto parts store and leaf through a maintenance manual for your car. It's an easy way to find out how much effort it takes to replace the flywheel. Or you know, get a second opinion to see if it confirms.

What I wouldn't recommend is sitting on it and hoping your car works when you most need it.

Muncie on