As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The specific reason (IMO) that PAX is awesome

TaramoorTaramoor StorytellerRegistered User regular
edited August 2005 in PAX Archive
I've been thinking about this all day, while wandering around, visiting with MC Chris, playing SCII, watching people play Magic:TG and Katamari Damacy, and I finally realized what it is that makes PAX such an incredibly epic and awesome event.

There is no fear in this place.

Nerds of all fetishes are accepted at PAX, and everybody is generally cool to everybody else (except for those guys who wouldn't rotate out the loser while playing Smash Bros. in the Free Play area, they were kinda dicks).

I played Tekken 5 for over an hour and a half with twelve people I'd never met before and we were all nice and pleasant whether winning or losing. We admired the better players and strived like madmen to defeat them. I played Katamari for half an hour against someone who was lightyears better than I was and at no point was there the slightest mockery in his voice as I said "again?" after my twelfth loss. B:L complimented my Ivy even as he raped it six ways from Sunday with his Mitsu.

I watched a fifty year-old man get destroyed by a fourteen year-old kid's Green/Red LD deck and do nothing afterward but shake the kid's hand and tell him how much fun it was to play against him. I saw people playing Guillotine in the tabletop room right next to guys on their fifth hour of Cities & Knights.

I spoke to BIZket, the guy who was running Console Free Play, after the thing ended, and apparently not a single item went missing. The only thing, to my knowledge, that was taken was the hang version of This Strip off the second floor wall, which I probably would've taken myself if I were the lawless sort.

I played Zelda, damnit. Then immediately afterward played the GC Fire Emblem, Mario Baseball, and that Incredible Hulk game.

PAX is awesome.

Why do you think PAX is awesome?

Taramoor on

• Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    Taramoor wrote:
    Nerds of all fetishes are accepted at PAX, and everybody is generally cool to everybody else (except for those guys who wouldn't rotate out the loser while playing Smash Bros. in the Free Play area, they were kinda dicks).

speak for yourself there, buddy

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

Okay, except for furries, furries are weird.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Man.

I still don't know what's better. Hulk, or Mario Soccer. IMO those were the two best games at E3, and same as with PAX.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Taramoor wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

furries and LARP'ers

Borfase on
  • Options
    _tepid__tepid_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I had a good time.

Shoulder-to-shoulder be damned.

_tepid_ on
    The proposed legislation stems from an investigation into an Enumclaw, Wash., farm, where a 45-year-old man died on July 2 from internal bleeding due to a perforated colon resulting from having sex with a horse.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

furries and LARP'ers

I'm suprised Tycho has LARPed for Vampire/Whitewolf. Well, I'm not suprised, I just didn't know he listened to The Cure.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Doc wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    Taramoor wrote:

furries and LARP'ers

I'm suprised Tycho has LARPed for Vampire/Whitewolf. Well, I'm not suprised, I just didn't know he listened to The Cure.

haha

well played

Borfase on
  • Options
    groovegroove Enforcer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Taramoor wrote:
    There is no fear in this place.
    I gotta agree with that. This year I decided to spend most of my weekend there, so most of it was social. Honestly, you can do most of PAX in a few hours, so after awhile, you have to talk to people. I've met some really cool people this weekend, most of which I don't remember the names of.

I'd like to say a few hellos to the cool ass people I met this weekend. To the couple of girls I went to the pancake corral with on saturday, run with the squealies. To all the Nerf guys, I just got my bazooka, and I'll hunt each and every one of you. To all with people with Nintendogs, I really liked meeting all your dogs, and a special thanks to the ones who gave me stuff, I still chessish my french pride bow. And to all the random people I jumped in conversations with, or made random cynical quips to, I hope I see you all next year.

groove on
    [E]
    axlky.jpg
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    My reason: Having a damn good time with my friends.

Shade on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited August 2005
    My reason:

The two korean transvestites I picked up at the bus stop

Knob on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Because of the like mindedness of the people all around you, and that you can be a total jackass and not look like an idiot.

Awesome. I had a friend who not only eroded the human soul, but also punched babies in anger.

You guys know what I'm talkin' about. ;D

I'm sure that entertained Zig quite a bit.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I think the specific reason pax was awesome was because i won a psp, lumines, ghost recon 2, and splinter cell 3

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    _tepid__tepid_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I arrived late and missed the Tekken 5 tourney.

Then the next day I played the guy who took 3rd.

///

Nice guy. But I beat him more times than me....

then we played tekken

_tepid_ on
    The proposed legislation stems from an investigation into an Enumclaw, Wash., farm, where a 45-year-old man died on July 2 from internal bleeding due to a perforated colon resulting from having sex with a horse.
  • Options
    LeningradLeningrad Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I think the specific reason pax was awesome was because i won a psp, lumines, ghost recon 2, and splinter cell 3

how'd you pull that shit off?

Leningrad on
    save vs. death
  • Options
    taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Leningrad wrote:

possibly involving huaghluaghluaghluaghluaghluagh?

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Leningrad wrote:

Ghost Recon 2 tournament = psp and lumines

Just playing Farcry with the Frag dolls = Ghost Recon 2 Summit Strike
    and the same for playing them in rainbow six 4 and getting splinter cell 3.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    LeningradLeningrad Registered User regular
    edited August 2005

Ghost Recon 2 tournament = psp and lumines

Just playing Farcry with the Frag dolls = Ghost Recon 2 Summit Strike
    and the same for playing them in rainbow six 4 and getting splinter cell 3.

hot. good job.

Leningrad on
    save vs. death
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    I am attending this next year, East Coast be damned.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I won 2 copies of Lineage 2, one regular and one special dvd collectors edition.

Guess which one is getting "returned" to best buy?

Weaver on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Weaver wrote:
    I won 2 copies of Lineage 2, one regular and one special dvd collectors edition.

Guess which one is getting "returned" to best buy?

Both

and you'll get a whole like two dollars for 'em. I'm keeping my lame copy of Lineage 2.

At least the City of Villains poster is cool.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    Dr. DeezeeDr. Deezee Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    You guys are making me sad :(

When you're running any part of the show, you don't really get much free time to enjoy PAX. I was in charge of the CS: Source tournament and helped out however I could with the other PC tournaments (if you talked to someone at the PC registration desk, it was likely me as I was there probably 80% of my time)...

...but it's good to see all our hard work seemed to pay off!

Dr. Deezee on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    This is what I think the specific reason why PAX is awesome is because since there are so many people there, there are incredible people at each facet. It has been so long since I have faced such a challenge in SSBM. And I have never faced such a challenge in Double Dash.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    I got Lineage II, CoV pre-order, and the full copy of CoH. I would have preferred a PSP, but I'm happy with CoH.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    Pax is fuckin awesome even though most of the time I was just wandering around looking/playing games, I didnt even get any free swag :(

Most of sunday I was over by the console freeplay area playing a Naruto fighting game for about three hours :lol:

Oh yes and this is my first time going to PAX

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SparhawkSparhawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    In all honesty, meeting new people, playing new games, and living life to it's fullest (pardon the cliche). I met some pretty awesome people there, and even got to meet see some people from last year. Namely, a fellow named Dustin I played Tekken with, Sparktimus Prime, an amazing DDR player I met from last year, the 2nd place winners of MK:DD last year (forgot their team names) I even was friendly with a particular Enforcer etc. etc. You get the idea.
    The new games...wow. Mario Strikers & Twilight Princess coupled together are making me want to get a GC. I was able to see the lure of Nintendogs from firsthand experience etc. etc.
    And I know this is a major cliche, but I actually made a list at one point in time (I lost it >,<) of 100 things I wanted to do in life. On that list was to eventually play a P&P D&D game. Well, if I ever find the list, I'll be able to cross it off now =)
    Anyway, when I walk into PAX, I feel like I can let loose a part of me that I often keep hidden, because, though it is becoming more accepted in popular culture, gaming is still a relatively private thing. At PAX, I can let out all that built up gaming energy without feeling like I'm pestering people (too much).

Sparhawk on
    46BB69AC76FF7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Hey man I went there looking to play some DND games too but I could never find where that was being held at...

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I played the new fire emblem for GC (WHICH ROCKED ASS) and for the first time nintendogs which if I ever let my wife see or play will render me obsolete.

The most fun I had though was at the PA panels and talking to the pirates of the burning see guys for like 3 hours each day about the game and a little playing.

Also my "getting booty since 1720" shirt is the best shirt ever!

I also saw a guy role playing to a chick right in front of like 20 people and no one said a god damn thing, no one even batted an eye, THAT is pax.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I won a tshirt and played some video games

The high point would have to be those trannies, though

I mean, daaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnn

Knob on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    They look like girls, but they are actually guys.

How about that.

Isn't that something.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2005

How about that.

Isn't that something.

NAS likes trannies

What a fuckin' buttfaggot

Knob on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Knob wrote:

How about that.

Isn't that something.

NAS likes trannies

What a fuckin' buttfaggot

All dressed up and no one to blow.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Like others have said, PAX rocked because of the attendees.

My friend and I ended hanging out in tabletop for a lot of PAX. Friday, we saw a copy of Betrayal at the House on the Hill (really fun game) lying on the table and asked the Enforcer if we could play it. We took a few minutes to look over the rules and then grabbed a few passerby who had never played before either (one of who was Gelatinous Cube from MC Frontalot's band). In under an hour we had a game up and running with 6 strangers.

We also played in the Double Dash tourny and, after every elimination, winners and losers alike were shaking hands and complimenting each other.

Everyone I met was so friendly that it made PAX the best and most "jackass free" convention I've ever attended.

So, thanks to Gabe and Tycho for throwing an awesome party, and thanks to everyone else who attended.

Oh yeah, I got to play Twilight Princess too. That's why PAX rocked.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    I found an incredible girl. :D :oops: :D

Shade on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    Shade wrote:

:winky:

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    jieunjieun Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    amalgam wrote:
    Pax is fuckin awesome even though most of the time I was just wandering around looking/playing games, I didnt even get any free swag :(

Oh yes and this is my first time going to PAX

Same here >_>

I barely even touched any controllers actually, but I had a great time just walking around and watching people play games and watching people in general(cough). Didn't do much, but had fun :D

What amused me: how guys randomly made conversation with me. I learned from this experience that many nerdy gamer guys actually aren't afraid to approach and casually talk to girls.

jieun on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Shade wrote:

How about that.

Isn't that something.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    Shade wrote:

How about that.

Isn't that something.

well, call me susy and show me where the glory hole is.

Shade on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    A reason to get together. A reason to costume. A reason to celebrate. PAX is awesome because it is a celebration of gamer culture. And it's future awesomeness will depend on how true it stays to that function.

graizur on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Shade wrote:
    Yes shade I know. You ate her face in line for the Minibosses.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2005
    ZeroZero wrote:
    Shade wrote:
    Yes shade I know. You ate her face in line for the Minibosses.

And at the hotel party.

And while sitting at the concert.

Doc on