As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I get stuff off my iPhone?

Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
This may be a stupd question, but here goes.

I just formatted my computer and installed Windows 7. Now I'd like to format my iPhone, because it's slowing down and it's full of stuff, but first I'd like to get my music and applications off the phone and onto my computer - but of course, even though I've authorized this computer in iTunes, there seems to be no way of retrieving my music.

I don't even see a way to re-download what I've purchased from iTunes. I bought an album, for example, and when I log into my store account and go to browse the store, that album doesn't say "download again" or anything. It looks like I'd have to purchase it again. This seems like rank bullshit to me.

I don't want to format my phone until I can get my stuff off of it, and I don't want to have to re-acquire all my music and apps. What's the deal?

Evil Multifarious on

• Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Itunes doesn't let you re-download content. This is one of the many reasons I purchase content off Amazon (which does let you re-download).

Apple also doesn't want to let you get music/media off your iphone or ipod, which is dumb, so they make it very difficult to do so.

Here is a guide I found about getting music off an ipod touch or iphone.

oldsak on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    any idea how to snag the playlists too?

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not sure if it'll do what you want exactly, but you might want to try Sharepod - I used it recently to copy my playlist from my iPod back into newly re-installed iTunes after also doing a Windows 7 upgrade, and it worked well enough.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    well, i found out how to re-download the apps and music that i purchased on the iphone to my computer.

however, there is no way to just download any other music straight off my iphone to my computer without using a third party program. that is revolting. wow.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Deathwing wrote: »
    Not sure if it'll do what you want exactly, but you might want to try Sharepod - I used it recently to copy my playlist from my iPod back into newly re-installed iTunes after also doing a Windows 7 upgrade, and it worked well enough.

that should do nicely. thanks.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So you reformatted your drive without backing up your music and now you're pissed at Apple?

Good grief.

Saar on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Saar wrote: »
    So you reformatted your drive without backing up your music and now you're pissed at Apple?

Good grief.

backed up most of it, but some of it was only on the phone.

which, you know, i assumed would act as a backup.

my mistake, i assumed that apple wouldn't hold my music hostage.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah. He had a back-up of his music.

It was on the other computerised device he owns.

desperaterobots on