As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic for 11/30/09

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wasn't even aware it was available for disabling

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    the cheat wrote: »
    i always disable that faggot shit. what is wrong with you guys?

i'm not pro at video games is what's wrong with me

DJ Eebs on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    I wasn't even aware it was available for disabling

Yeah, it's under control options

It's called assisted aim or something

Grey Ghost on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    huh. i saw that option for single player, which i kept because fuck that. but i didn't see the option for multi.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I don't know about multi, I haven't played anything but the campaign and the challenge missions

Grey Ghost on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know about multi, I haven't played anything but the campaign and the challenge missions

This needs to be remedied now.

Lucky Cynic on
    edited December 2009
    1. I don't have Live because I'm a broke college kid
    2. I'm goddamn terrible at online multiplayer in any sort of game
    3. I was only borrowing the game from a dude and he took it back a couple days ago

Grey Ghost on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There is solution, comrade!

1: Locate friend with Xbox Live and MW2.
    2: Go over to his place and take turns online, 1 round each.
    3: ? ? ?
    4: Profit!

Lucky Cynic on
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They let you leave auto aim on, in multiplayer? That is fucking retarded.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It actually makes the game worse. Its not exactly auto aim, but it sort of stays with an enemy for a second if you had him targeted. If you get two or three next to each other though it gets confused and fucks you over.

gazamc on
  • HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    didn't counterstrike have autoaim, once uponatime

and I mean as an actuall option not as a hack

Still all this knife talk reminds me of the old days of all the pros running around with knives.. and swearing a lot

HeavyVillain on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    make knives less knifey

make shotguns less shotguney

wah

Meiz on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the hell, weren't you like at 90k a month ago?

Fuga on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »

it is nowhere near what you think it is

PiptheFair on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, it really isn't noticeable.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    thought auto aim just assisted aiming down the sights.

If your reticle is near someone when you shoulder your weapon it adjusts the sights so your sights are looking at center mass.

Sorta kinda-ish

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited December 2009
    hurts me more than helps. auto-aim's nudge + my nudge = crosshair goes too much and misses

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the cheat wrote: »
    i always disable that faggot shit. what is wrong with you guys?

i'm not pro at video games is what's wrong with me

Turning off a useful feature is stupid.

It's a shooter on a system where the primary input scheme is dual-analog. It absolutely should have aim assistance.

Defender on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It works like that in single player.
    In multi-player it only nudges your head around a little when you are LDS. I don't even think it works while you are firing, at all.

jwalk on
    edited December 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    It works like that in single player.
    In multi-player it only nudges your head around a little when you are LDS. I don't even think it works while you are firing, at all.

Usually, auto-aim needs to be turned off while firing in shooters because otherwise it ends up fighting with and suppressing the gun's kick, which is generally not desirable.

EDIT: Also, it would prevent you from sweeping with the gun, which is sometimes a viable way to fight.

Defender on
    edited December 2009
    Defender wrote: »

It's a shooter on a system where the primary input scheme is dual-analog. It absolutely should have aim assistance.

Why?

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited December 2009

Why?

Analog sticks are not as good at aiming as the mouse. Often it's good to increase the maximum (gross movement) speed at the expense of the minimum (fine adjustment) speed, and auto-aim helps to mitigate the problem that arises from lack of precise aim.

Defender on
    edited December 2009

Why?

Analog sticks are not as good at aiming as the mouse. Often it's good to increase the maximum (gross movement) speed at the expense of the minimum (fine adjustment) speed, and auto-aim helps to mitigate the problem that arises from lack of precise aim.

If everyone's on a level playing field, why make it easier? That's what easy mode is for.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Why?

If everyone's on a level playing field, why make it easier? That's what easy mode is for.

Because otherwise knives would be even worse as you couldn't even accurately aim at those fuckers?

Garthor on
    edited December 2009

Why?

It's not a question of the game being too easy or too hard, it's a question of what the game is about.

Imagine making, like, a pie chart or whatever, of the skills that a game rewards. In Street Fighter, for example, "ability to memorize and execute difficult input sequences" would be a bigger slice of the pie than it would in Tekken. By forcing players to aim manually, you are choosing "aim with analog stick" as a more important skill. You are also nerfing longer-ranged weapons, because typical CQC weapons (e.g. shotguns, knives) don't need precise aim.

EDIT: Also, challenge through shitty user interface is not good design.

Defender on
    edited December 2009
    But, like I said before, the auto-aim messes me up more than helps because my precises movement tot he left + their auto-aim to the left = aiming too far to the left.

Also I miss all the damn time with the knife. At longer ranges it's less stick movement to aim at something 90ft away and shift aim 10ft to the left. At 2ft range it takes much more stick movement to shift aim 10ft to the left, which would be like a 90 degree turn.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    But, like I said before, the auto-aim messes me up more than helps because my precises movement tot he left + their auto-aim to the left = aiming too far to the left.

Also I miss all the damn time with the knife. At longer ranges it's less stick movement to aim at something 90ft away and shift aim 10ft to the left. At 2ft range it takes much more stick movement to shift aim 10ft to the left, which would be like a 90 degree turn.

Then you personally should turn it off. Its presence serves to devalue aiming as a core skill.

Defender on
    edited December 2009
    I have not seen the option to otherwise I would have. The option is only present during single player.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2009

Why?

It's not a question of the game being too easy or too hard, it's a question of what the game is about.

Imagine making, like, a pie chart or whatever, of the skills that a game rewards. In Street Fighter, for example, "ability to memorize and execute difficult input sequences" would be a bigger slice of the pie than it would in Tekken. By forcing players to aim manually, you are choosing "aim with analog stick" as a more important skill. You are also nerfing longer-ranged weapons, because typical CQC weapons (e.g. shotguns, knives) don't need precise aim.

EDIT: Also, challenge through shitty user interface is not good design.

Sticks are a shitty interface? But it's not hard to aim with sticks. At all. It's harder than aiming with a mouse of course, but that's only because a mouse is more accurate then is actually possible.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
    edited December 2009
    Sticks are a shitty interface? But it's not hard to aim with sticks. At all. It's harder than aiming with a mouse of course, but that's only because a mouse is more accurate then is actually possible.

For aiming, yeah, they're worse than the input device that was used when the genre was new, specifically the mouse. It is a step down from the original, which to me means it's shitty. People have figured out how to make it work, so it's not like it's unplayable or anything. But anyway, aim assistance is one of the things that helps.

Defender on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On the other hand, sticks are really good for running around

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

For aiming, yeah, they're worse than the input device that was used when the genre was new, specifically the mouse. It is a step down from the original, which to me means it's shitty. People have figured out how to make it work, so it's not like it's unplayable or anything. But anyway, aim assistance is one of the things that helps.

first time I played an FPS it was all keyboard all the time. I like the sticks.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

For aiming, yeah, they're worse than the input device that was used when the genre was new
    , specifically the mouse. It is a step down from the original, which to me means it's shitty. People have figured out how to make it work, so it's not like it's unplayable or anything. But anyway, aim assistance is one of the things that helps.

Someone never played early FPSs.

Are you secretly 13 Defender?

Khavall on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The perfect FPS setup would be a Wii nunchuck (+ more buttons) for movement, and a mouse for aiming. I really don't like WASD for shootems.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    The perfect FPS setup would be a Wii

I think Defender had a stroke at this point in your post.

Speed Racer on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Metroid Prime 3 was really fun, so I would say yes, the perfect FPS setup could be a Wii, provided it was done right

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A Wii with motion plus and some kind of plastic gun shell, maybe. Otherwise...I'll keep my keyboard and mouse, personally.

Inquisitor on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I actually feel more or less the same way

like, while a mouse is definitely better than a joystick, a joystick is definitely better than four directional buttons

TheySlashThem on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    A Wii with motion plus and some kind of plastic gun shell, maybe. Otherwise...I'll keep my keyboard and mouse, personally.

They have that. Pistol Grip and everything.

Not sure if it'll work with the motion plus but I'm sure you can fix that with some plastic cutting.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    now that I think of it, a small, basic joystick + mouse combo seems like it could be pretty awesome. a mouse is obviously way better for aiming than a stick, but having 4 binary "press it or don't" buttons for movement seems less than ideal. so why not keep the mouse but ditch the keyboard?

for some games, like quake 3, where advanced movement tricks rely on you having WASD, it wouldn't work too well. but for something with simpler movement like TF2 I bet it could be more comfortable and just as functional.

redhead on