As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Recommend] Me some music.. I'm thinking industrial, maybe.

SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I say "maybe" because I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I've been trying to find some bands similar to NIN or Stabbing Westward (first few cds). I've heard both these bands referred to as industrial, or heard that they have industrial elements. I've also been scoffed at for referring to these bands as industrial, so who knows.

I'm not having a lot of luck finding stuff. The Zune Marketplace, while not completely worthless, doesn't help me much. I tend to keep finding music that sounds like the Fallout soundtrack (1 and 2, not 3), or has some dudes rapping over it (I'm not looking for vocals), or stuff that sounds like Static-X or Marylin Manson... though I guess the latter is understandable.

Some bands that are close to, but not quite what I'm looking for: Skinny Puppy, VAST, The Beyond, Young Gods.

Anyway, I realize I might be expecting too specific a sound here, so... if anyone can throw some names out just to see if anything works, I'd appreciate it.

userbar.jpg
desura_Userbar.png
Seeks on

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KMFDM, Assemblage 23, Shotgun Messiah's Violent New Breed, VNV Nation (both they and Assemblage are a bit more dance/industrial) and Ministry.

EDIT: Add in Killing Joke.

You could check out http://www.darkdb.com/eklein/

badpoet on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    give orb and throbbing gristle a listen, too.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gravity Kills? They got a lot of shit for sounding too much like NIN.
    Definitely check KMFDM, Killing Joke and Ministry.

Throbbing Gristle doesn't exactly follow the parameters.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • XaiXai Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would highly reccomend Narayan or Minefields by the prodigy. Not exactly industrial but i'm now in the mood for some classics.

Xai on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spineshank, maybe? I've never been a big industrial listener, but The Height Of Callousness finds its way into my cd player on occasion. That album would be more akin to Pretty Hate Machine than newer NIN (from the little I've listened to since then).

Jimmy King on
  • PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a long time NIN fan and have found their newer albums very different from their older "industrial" sound - but I still love it....

Some similar stuff I listen to:

Tool, Ministry, KMFDM / MDFMK, Prodigy, Skinny Puppy (note you mentioned this already), Front 424,

Also - for the music technotronica lover - perhaps check this website and see what there is in your genre of preference.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Check around the Trance / Industrial Rock area and see what fits the bill.

Phisti on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you end up liking Skinny Puppy or KMFDM, you might look into OhGr also.

Arminas on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You want the industrial sound or the 90s I want to cut myself sound, or a combination? I would assume it's the later since you put Stabbing Westward in there.

Regardless, 65daysofstatic is pretty decent industrial/post-rock. No lyrics, obviously, but the sound is there.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions and links, fellas. Some pretty decent stuff in here. I'll probably be pouring over those websites for several days, haha.
    You want the industrial sound or the 90s I want to cut myself sound, or a combination? I would assume it's the later since you put Stabbing Westward in there.

Pretty much, though I tend to find most singers for these bands more annoying than pleasant to listen to, but your recommendation sidesteps that quite nicely. I think that might be as close to what I have in my head as I'm likely to find, other than late 80s Ministry (if I ignore the singers).

I'll definitely be giving a lot of new albums a listen, though, see how they grow on me.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Skinny Puppy and Ministry are pretty much quintessential American Industrial bands. They can also been hard to get into depending on which album you listen to.

Try listening to 'Worlock' off of Rabies from Skinny Puppy... or the album 'The Land of Rape and Honey' by Ministry.

Chemlab's album "Burn Out at the Hydrogen Bar' is good. They use guitars (kinda like Stabbing Westward) and the singer's style doesn't rely on distortion as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn_Out_at_the_Hydrogen_Bar

Some other of my favorite industrial/EBM bands:

Mentallo & the Fixer
    Haujobb
    Project Pitchfork
    Wumpscut
    Suicide Commando
    Velvet Acid Christ

As a rule, the earlier albums are better than the later ones.

Taterskin on
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you like later-period more pop-rock-y NIN, you might enjoy Black Light Burns (although unfortunately they only have one album right now that I'm aware of [and I think an all-cover album or something?]). The album is called Cruel Melody. Some Chevelle songs also remind me of Stabbing Westward, particularly The Red and the new one, Jars. I'm not too familiar with them other than those radio hits/singles. KMFDM has a very large and diverse catalog - if you're looking for more rock than industrial, try their album NIHIL and perhaps SYMBOLS. If you end up liking them, also check out Die Krupps, a similar german industrial rock outfit. See also: Icon of Coil, maybe even Laibach and Rammstein.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, it's weird to think of Wes Borland doing this kind of music.

He's actually pretty decent at it, though.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • MadJyleMadJyle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MadJyle on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Celldweller. A thousand times Celldweller.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!