As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, the Nook "launch" is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

BN really fucked this thing up.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    are the initial pre-orders not even going out yet?

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    JHunz wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I got my mom a Nintendo DS, a CycloDS, and a website where she can convert the e-books she had into a format recognized by Libra.

The result? An e-book reader with superior screen quality and readability day or night, pitch black or direct sun light. She can even flip it to black background and white text for easy night reading.

Plus she can bookmark her book at any time, play some Tetris or Harvest Moon, then get right back into reading.

She loves it and her friend with a Kindle is ready to toss it out the window and have me set her up one for Christmas.
    I can't imagine doing a serious amount of reading on screens quite that small. The whole screen readability thing sounds awesome but I would think that general readability would suffer.

I think I'd go fucking insane trying to read a full novel on the DS.

It's easier on your eyes than a Kindle, easier in high light situations than the Kindle, 1,000,001 times better in low or no light situations than the Kindle, and when you factor in the top AND bottom screen it's got about the same words per "page".

TekDragon on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JHunz wrote: »
    I got my mom a Nintendo DS, a CycloDS, and a website where she can convert the e-books she had into a format recognized by Libra.

The result? An e-book reader with superior screen quality and readability day or night, pitch black or direct sun light. She can even flip it to black background and white text for easy night reading.

Plus she can bookmark her book at any time, play some Tetris or Harvest Moon, then get right back into reading.

She loves it and her friend with a Kindle is ready to toss it out the window and have me set her up one for Christmas.
    I can't imagine doing a serious amount of reading on screens quite that small. The whole screen readability thing sounds awesome but I would think that general readability would suffer.

I think I'd go fucking insane trying to read a full novel on the DS.

It's easier on your eyes than a Kindle, easier in high light situations than the Kindle, 1,000,001 times better in low or no light situations than the Kindle, and when you factor in the top AND bottom screen it's got about the same words per "page".

I can barely read the puzzles in Professor Layton's Mysterious Village, which leads me to believe you are not being 100% honest.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited December 2009
    But the Kindle is more expensive, looks like an Apple device, does its core competencies less effectively, locks you into proprietary technology from start to finish, and has an awesome marketing department behind it.

In reality there is almost zero possibility of the masses buying anything BUT the Kindle, given those facts. It's not like we haven't learned anything from studying the American consumer over the last decade.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    I can barely read the puzzles in Professor Layton's Mysterious Village, which leads me to believe you are not being 100% honest.

If I showed you a comparison of DS lumens and pixel density vs Kindle lumens and pixel density, would that satisfy you? Since obviously 2 old ladies who don't exactly have the best vision preferring the DS over the Kindle despite using the Kindle extensively doesn't mean anything to you.

Then again, you may have the eye sight of a mole, and I'm not a doctor. I'm an MBA in consumer marketing who consults with technology firms on how to part fools with their money.

Go buy a Kindle.

TekDragon on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

If I showed you a comparison of DS lumens and pixel density vs Kindle lumens and pixel density, would that satisfy you?

Please do.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

How is staring into a lightbulb for five hours (aka, reading a novel on the DS) easy on the eyes? Sure, it's awesome that there's a DS app for reading ebooks, but it's far from ideal.

Vi Monks on
    edited December 2009

If I showed you a comparison of DS lumens and pixel density vs Kindle lumens and pixel density, would that satisfy you? Since obviously 2 old ladies who don't exactly have the best vision preferring the DS over the Kindle despite using the Kindle extensively doesn't mean anything to you.

Then again, you may have the eye sight of a mole, and I'm not a doctor. I'm an MBA in consumer marketing who consults with technology firms on how to part fools with their money.

Go buy a Kindle.

Well I'll be sure to take your word for it random internet guy. Your impressive list of credentials is enough for me.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited December 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »

How is staring into a lightbulb for five hours (aka, reading a novel on the DS) easy on the eyes? Sure, it's awesome that there's a DS app for reading ebooks, but it's far from ideal.

Your inability to adjust the bulb brightness (hint - tap the corner of the screen) isn't the DS's fault.

Using a Kindle, with its 16 shades of grey, 800x600 resolution, and crap lighting - it reminds me of using my classic Game Boy from childhood. The freaking plethora of Kindle light-mounts on the market exemplify the problem.

The DS (Lite, the DSi might be even better), meanwhile, with its .24mm dot pitch, and being capable of displaying over 260,000 colors - has a backlight that can be toned all the way down to allow clear and easy reading in pitch black, or all the way up for reading at the beach.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    The brightness of the backlight isn't the problem, it's the fact that it's backlit at all.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    Well I'll be sure to take your word for it random internet guy. Your impressive list of credentials is enough for me.

Don't take my word for it. Take the word of that cool Kindle television commercial you saw last night.

If people want to buy over-priced, proprietary crap that has inferior core technology and competencies just because it comes in a cool white color - there's not much I, or anyone, can do about it.

Meanwhile, I'll do direct comparisons and hands-on tests whenever I can. I'll live by the specifications and the reality, not the marketing fantasy, and I'll share my experiences where I can. I didn't post in this thread to save anyone from their 'typical ignorant consumer' syndrome, and I'm surprised I've bothered to post as much as I have.

Enjoy your Kindle.

I'll enjoy recommending the DS Lite, Cyclo DS, and Libra application, and I'll continue enjoying the positive feedback I get from everyone (100%, so far) who has made the jump.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009

Your inability to adjust the bulb brightness (hint - tap the corner of the screen) isn't the DS's fault.

Using a Kindle, with its 16 shades of grey, 800x600 resolution, and crap lighting - it reminds me of using my classic Game Boy from childhood. The freaking plethora of Kindle light-mounts on the market exemplify the problem.

The DS (Lite, the DSi might be even better), meanwhile, with its .24mm dot pitch, and being capable of displaying over 260,000 colors - has a backlight that can be toned all the way down to allow clear and easy reading in pitch black, or all the way up for reading at the beach.

Adjusting the bulb's brightness doesn't change the fact that you're staring into a lightbulb. Dim or not, there are more comfortable ways to read. The Kindle's lack of lighting is kind of nice. It's like, say, reading a book instead of reading a computer monitor.

But hey, maybe you just prefer reading with a backlight. I'm guessing you also hold a flashlight behind the pages of any book you're reading so that it shines right into your eyes?

Vi Monks on
    edited December 2009
    Adjusting the bulb's brightness doesn't change the fact that you're staring into a lightbulb. Dim or not, there are more comfortable ways to read. The Kindle's lack of lighting is kind of nice. It's like, say, reading a book instead of reading a computer monitor.

But hey, maybe you just prefer reading with a backlight. I'm guessing you also hold a flashlight behind the pages of any book you're reading so that it shines right into your eyes?

No, I don't mind. The last piece of technology I had that I needed to look into a lot that WASN'T back lit was from... hmm... 1989.

But hey, maybe you just enjoy running around with one of these:

http://www.kindleestore.com/shop.php?c=7&x=Kindle_Lights

Wow. 688 products in their "Kindle Lights" section. Jesus Christ. If that doesn't scream Market Demand, I don't know what does.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    Man, I don't strap a desklamp to every paperback I carry with me, why would I feel any differently about a Kindle?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    55,762 results for book lamps and no backlit books. What are publishers thinking?

Seriously though, the Kindle is meant to be like a book because it's easier on the eyes. No flickering >> flickering for reading. That might come at a sacrifice to the amount of colors it can display (horror upon horrors!), but there's a reason for it.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited December 2009
    Man, I don't strap a desklamp to every paperback I carry with me, why would I feel any differently about a Kindle?

Logical fallacies aside... oh wait, that's all you've provided.

If you can't realize why technology switched to back-lighting in the early 90's and hasn't looked back since - that's not my problem.

Enjoy sticking to your "Optimal Lighting Environment" and never leaving it without your lamp attachment. Meanwhile the rest of us can carry something that's smaller, more durable, completely non-proprietary, and easier to read in every environment ranging from high glare (beach or park) to no-light (nighttime in bed next to a sleeping spouse).

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    55,762 results for book lamps and no backlit books. What are publishers thinking?

6.5 million results for "Kindle too dark"

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu9st2RZLCWgBNNVXNyoA?p=Kindle+too+dark&fr2=sb-top&fr=moz35&sao=1

What's your point?

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    Where's the logical fallacy? The Kindle fulfills the exact same role as a paperback. I get along fine not bringing lights along with me when reading. Okay, "desklamp" was a deliberately absurd formulation but even imagining a magical, special kind of backlit paper in a paperback, I would prefer to be without one.

Because backlights are extremely uncomfortable when solidly reading for extended periods of time.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

6.5 million results for "Kindle too dark"

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu9st2RZLCWgBNNVXNyoA?p=Kindle+too+dark&fr2=sb-top&fr=moz35&sao=1

What's your point?
    My point is in the rest of my post, beginning with "Seriously though."

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Logical fallacies aside... oh wait, that's all you've provided.

If you can't realize why technology switched to back-lighting in the early 90's and hasn't looked back since - that's not my problem.

Enjoy sticking to your "Optimal Lighting Environment" and never leaving it without your lamp attachment. Meanwhile the rest of us can carry something that's smaller, more durable, completely non-proprietary, and easier to read in every environment ranging from high glare (beach or park) to no-light (nighttime in bed next to a sleeping spouse).
    Wait, a guy who just posted a logical fallacy (seriously? linking the number of Kindle lights? talk about strawman) is now whining about someone else making a viable point?

The Kindle is meant to function as closely to paperbacks as possible, with the added benefit of being able to contain thousands of books in a smaller space than your average paperback. This means no backlighting. And guess what - the multitude of satisfied Kindle owners, a microcosm of which inhabit this thread, far outweigh your sample size of 2-3 people. Clearly, those thousands and thousands of people, who have routinely gotten headaches attempted to read on backlit devices, absolutely don't know what they are talking about, and you, Mr. MBA student (seriously? I could've gotten an MBA to decorate the backside of my Chemical Engineering degreed ass in 1 additional year during my 4 years of college. Am I therefore supposed to be impressed?) obviously know better thanks to your short time with a Kindle.

p.s. The first result on your random Yahoo search has absolutely jack shit to do with your point. But lest you point out that the second result does, let me also point you to the third, fourth, eighth, and ninth results which STILL have absolutely jack shit to do with your point. So what exactly did you prove? That you can even manage to fuck up a Yahoo search? So I guess we really SHOULD trust your opinion, because you are clearly ever so smart!

Spacemilk on
    edited December 2009
    Where's the logical fallacy? The Kindle fulfills the exact same role as a paperback.

There we go. Now you've hit the nail on the head.

Problem is, books were invented in 1,800 BC. Meanwhile, the Kindle costs $260.

The DS Lite? $100, and it's not stuck in 1,800 BC. Or 1989.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    Where's the logical fallacy? The Kindle fulfills the exact same role as a paperback.

Do you realize that you can't actually put a backlight on e-ink? It's not a design failure as you seem to believe.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited December 2009

No, I don't mind. The last piece of technology I had that I needed to look into a lot that WASN'T back lit was from... hmm... 1989.

But hey, maybe you just enjoy running around with one of these:

http://www.kindleestore.com/shop.php?c=7&x=Kindle_Lights

Wow. 688 products in their "Kindle Lights" section. Jesus Christ. If that doesn't scream Market Demand, I don't know what does.

You're totally right that you need a light to read the Kindle in the dark, just like you do with a book. Ereaders are all about emulating real books while providing the added convenience of being able to carry thousands of books and a book store in your pocket (note that I'm not insinuating you don't realize this, just being thorough).

Like I said before, I think it's great that the DS has an ebook app and for people who love multi-functional gadgets (who doesn't?), it sounds awesome. Probably even more convenient than a Kindle in a lot of ways since, as you point out, it has its own lighting and it can do other things. But I think it's pretty clear that the Kindle better emulates a book than the DS -- even to the point of requiring some of the same inconveniences as a book, such as a light for reading in the dark. But even when using that light, it's not shining directly in your eyes like an LCD screen. I find it much more comfortable, and I would guess a lot of other people do as well.

Vi Monks on
    edited December 2009

My god you create strawmen like crazy.

At least evaluate the DS and the Kindle on the same basis. How many books are available for the DS? What's the likelihood of most people getting a headache for reading longer than 5 minutes on a DS? When was the modern printing press invented, thus allowing books to even be available for common use?

I mean seriously, dude, if you're trying to appear intelligent you need to try a little harder.

Spacemilk on
    edited December 2009

Do you work for Nintendo DS, or are you just like, a professional dick?

Because you know what? Maybe I want to carry a bunch of books around with me in an easy, portable solution that doesn't burn my retinas or make me poke at it with a small stick. Frankly, all you've done is convince me to buy a Kindle just to spite you.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited December 2009
    You're totally right that you need a light to read the Kindle in the dark, just like you do with a book. Ereaders are all about emulating real books while providing the added convenience of being able to carry thousands of books and a book store in your pocket (note that I'm not insinuating you don't realize this, just being thorough).

Like I said before, I think it's great that the DS has an ebook app and for people who love multi-functional gadgets (who doesn't?), it sounds awesome. Probably even more convenient than a Kindle in a lot of ways since, as you point out, it has its own lighting and it can do other things. But I think it's pretty clear that the Kindle better emulates a book than the DS -- even to the point of requiring some of the same inconveniences as a book, such as a light for reading in the dark. But even when using that light, it's not shining directly in your eyes like an LCD screen. I find it much more comfortable, and I would guess a lot of other people do as well.

I can agree with pretty much all of that. Although I think that your last sentence needs to be qualified by acknowledging that the DS Libra (marketing budget: $0) isn't as heavily advertised as the Kindle (marketing budget: $Texas), and most people are completely unaware of the alternative.

That's why product comparisons (the ethical ones, at least) ignore marketing budgets or advertising. Product comparison should be done at the specification level. Kindles 11ty billion customers vs DS Libra's tens of thousands doesn't mean a thing in terms of which is a better product - just which has been marketed better.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009

Apples to oranges. Bonus: you are insane.

The Kindle not having a backlight is a plus. An advancement on, an advantage over, previous tech. Backlights are something we've been trying to REMOVE from ereaders, for a long time. They waste battery and they cause serious eye strain. Problem is, you can't read an LCD display without a backlight, so it's not been possible until eInk came along.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009

Because you know what? Maybe I want to carry a bunch of books around with me in an easy, portable solution that doesn't burn my retinas or make me poke at it with a small stick. Frankly, all you've done is convince me to buy a Kindle just to spite you.

Honestly? I don't use Libra or Kindle. I read from my laptop since my official office hours are Wake:Up to Bed:Time.

I have no personal involvement with either other than doing a direct product comparison a few months ago and feeling the urge to share the results with others.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009

Honestly? I don't use Libra or Kindle. I read from my laptop since my official office hours are Wake:Up to Bed:Time.

I have no personal involvement with either other than doing a direct product comparison a few months ago and feeling the urge to share the results with others.
    Except your results don't come from any sort of basis we're interested in. Did you do any sort of extended reading on both platforms? And by "extended reading" I mean something a little tougher than "See Spot Run" and for a little longer than 5 minutes. 'Cause it doesn't sound like you did; in fact it sounds like you stared at one for a few seconds, then the other, then came to the brilliant conclusion that the backlit one appeared brighter! GASP!

Spacemilk on
    edited December 2009

I'd love to see your direct product comparison with the actual details (CPU, screen size, battery life* and the like), so we can figure out how you came up with this shit. So far the only thing that the DS has over the Kindle is the backlight, which is not an advantage in most people's minds.

*All convieniently better on the Kindle!

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited December 2009
    So TekDragon, who by his own claim apparently has a job as a marketing person where he is supposed to get mindless zombie consumers to unquestioningly go out and purchase random item #30201, suddenly finds that his suave and unsupported claim is not swallowed wholesale by the e-readers thread.

Wonder how good he is at his actual job, if he can't even convince us?

Spacemilk on
    edited December 2009

I can agree with pretty much all of that. Although I think that your last sentence needs to be qualified by acknowledging that the DS Libra (marketing budget: $0) isn't as heavily advertised as the Kindle (marketing budget: $Texas), and most people are completely unaware of the alternative.

That's why product comparisons (the ethical ones, at least) ignore marketing budgets or advertising. Product comparison should be done at the specification level. Kindles 11ty billion customers vs DS Libra's tens of thousands doesn't mean a thing in terms of which is a better product - just which has been marketed better.

Oh I completely agree that marketing plays a very strong role in how many people purchase a product, but I won't say it's the only reason more people use a Kindle over a DS for ebook reading. Personally, I just find the Kindle much more comfortable and convenient for my particular style of reading.

Vi Monks on
    edited December 2009
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Did you do any sort of extended reading on both platforms? GASP!

Witch World series, minus one book I couldn't find.

All of Heinlein's A list, and most of his B list.

Hundreds of books on my laptop.

Admittedly I haven't read much on a Kindle. Got 30 pages into my friend's mystery book on a plane, lights were dimmed, and I didn't feel like having him get out his light attachment.
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Wonder how good he is at his actual job, if he can't even convince us?

If I wanted to convince YOU I would have emphasized how the DS comes in cool colors and how all the cool kids have one. Luckily I don't care about you.
    I'd love to see your direct product comparison with the actual details (CPU, screen size, battery life* and the like)

I'm game. You want to look up the Kindle and I'll look up the DSi?

TekDragon on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How about you take this bullshit into a thread about gaming devices?

Cabezone on
    edited December 2009
    DSi

Screen Size: 2 x 82.5 mm
    Display Technology: Active Matrix Thin Film Transistor Liquid Crystal Display
    Colors: 260,000
    Brightness Settings: 5
    Maximum Battery Life: 15 Hours
    Dimensions (closed): 75mm tall, 137mm wide, 18.9mm thick
    Core: 2 x 133 MHz
    Ram: 16 MB
    Storage: 256 MB internal, 32 GB external
    Wireless: 802.11G internal

TekDragon on
  • HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why do eink fanatics always scream EYESTRAIN and FLICKER? We all stare at backlit LCD's for hours and hours and hours but the entire country hasn't run over to Lenscrafters for glasses. Your LCD flickers? I ask because I can't recall one LCD that I've ever seen flickering. If mine flickered, I'd probably replace it. Eink and LCD are both fine for reading. Eink has better battery life and is, in general, easier to read outside while LCD is better, in general, in low light situations but has poor battery life.

edit: that was probably too much

Houndx on
    edited December 2009
    Resolution works out to be 640x480. Not sure if that's both screens combined or not.
    Cabezone wrote: »
    How about you take this bullshit into a thread about gaming devices?

Because we're discussing eReaders, dumbass. That's like you telling anyone not using an iPod to get out of a thread on MP3 players. The thread isn't limited to the most expensive and most heavily proprietary device. If you want a thread limited only to eReaders that pump out 3,000 commercials a day - go make your own thread.

TekDragon on
    edited December 2009
    augh
    Houndx wrote: »
    Why do eink fanatics always scream EYESTRAIN and FLICKER? We all stare at backlit LCD's for hours and hours and hours but the entire country hasn't run over to Lenscrafters for glasses.

First, eye strain =/= eye damage, at least not necessarily. Second, the type of scattered, stop-start reading we do on the internet and so on is of a different kind, for the most part, than the concentrated, single-block-of-text hours-long reading sessions we have with books.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited December 2009
    Houndx wrote: »
    Why do eink fanatics always scream EYESTRAIN and FLICKER? We all stare at backlit LCD's for hours and hours and hours but the entire country hasn't run over to Lenscrafters for glasses. Your LCD flickers? I ask because I can't recall one LCD that I've ever seen flickering. If mine flickered, I'd probably replace it.Eink and LCD are both fine for reading. Eink has better battery life and is, in general, easier to read outside while LCD is better, in general, in low light situations but has poor battery life.

tl:dr - Eink fanatics and anti-eink fanbois should both go fap into a wall socket

You'll get the exact same amount of eye strain using a book, Kindle, or DS assuming each has the same text font.

I didn't notice any flickering on a Kindle, and I'd never claim they did flicker. My only complaint with it was the dim screen that fails miserably in direct sun light or low lighting, requiring either shade or a lamp attachment, respectively.

I've been laughing at the ridiculous and unfounded accusation that the the DS's Active Matrix TFL-LCD is somehow "bad" because its "like looking into a lightbulb", but I've just been ignoring it.

TekDragon on