As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Strange Journey Rating Get.

M.

strangejourney_screens_09.pngstrangejourney_screens_15.png

Not that surprising.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fuck, SJ is seriously gonna be the best game they've released in years. I can't wait. (Music is a big thing for me =P)

Mattakuevan on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait... what? A penis-shaped room?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The map designer probably had no idea what to do so he just made the first thing that came to his head.

Gilder on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    The map designer probably had no idea what to do so he just made the first thing that came to his head.

Sounds like he would fit in well with the forums then.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really like that Strange Journey music. It starts off kind of meh, but I dig the chanting and it really hits it's mark around 0:48.

Also, map penis is lol.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Actually that screenshot looks like it takes place in the MegaTen Mako or whatever their Antarctic snowcar is called, but I suppose in this series that could very well still be the intention.

Dartboy on
    edited December 2009
    What would a dick like that be doing as a snow vehicle? It would just shrink and be completely unsuitable for transporting people. A dick car needs a warm environment to ensure total transportation. The arctic environment is just too harsh.

Gilder on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "I was in the pool!"

langfor6 on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I still want to know why we didn't get the last Devil Summoner game in PAL :(
    Personally, I'm still wondering why we didn't get Devil Survivor. I mean... I can sort of understand not wanting to bring over PS2 games any more, but DS games? Come on. Besides, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem and all that didn't do that badly over here, right?

WotanAnubis on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well they do need a vehicle sturdy and rigid enough to penetrate the inky void of that myserious expanse in the frozen southern reaches of the globe, and naturally they're going to want to design it so that it has the power to thrust through whatever may block their path and then release its payload.

...of soldiers.

Dartboy on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I looooooooooooooove the SJ backgrounds.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The shopkeep in DD2's Internment Facility looks just like the generic soldier from MGS4.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • melcharmelchar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OK - I'm still playing Imagine. [I got in it kind of late - only have had DSL since spring]. I tend to play later at night [pacific coast time] - and my characters are Darcane and Serahime. It has to compete with City of Heroes though for my time [justice and virtue servers]. ... anyone play CoH?

As for SMT, I love the games - Nocturne is my fave [have played it 4-5 times]; have played DDS1 and DDS2 to the end - but I didn't try to fight the demifiend. It was the -only- fight I chose to punk out on.

I love Devil Summoner - have Devil Summoner 2 but haven't begun it yet. I'm -nearly- finished with Persona 3 ... and also have P4 waiting in the wings. I fear I will not be able to max out all the social connections before the game ends. But I'm trying.

melchar on
  • melcharmelchar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I still want to know why we didn't get the last Devil Summoner game in PAL :(
    Personally, I'm still wondering why we didn't get Devil Survivor. I mean... I can sort of understand not wanting to bring over PS2 games any more, but DS games? Come on. Besides, Advance Wars and Fire Emblem and all that didn't do that badly over here, right?

But Devil Survivor -is- out for the DS. I have it loaded in mine right now. I got my copy from Amazon.com. As a related note, there's a PSP game called 'Monster Kingdom, Jewel Summoner' that was made by some of the same SMT guys. There are similarities. [It is only a so-so game.]

melchar on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Poor Neglected UK didn't though. They seem to hate SMT games, and fun games in general

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    At least the DS is region free so you could import Devil Survivor if you really want to.

RainbowDespair on
    edited December 2009
    Someone needs to add the Berserk Embyron to 'Nightmare Fuel' at TV Tropes.

Especially Cielo.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    At least the DS is region free so you could import Devil Survivor if you really want to.
    I did. But 'it's region free so you can import it' is still no excuse for not officially bringing it over to Europe.

WotanAnubis on
    edited December 2009
    Perhaps there's a hidden capsule of mercury in the cartridge?

Gilder on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yay! I caught my first Guardian in Persona 4!

...now to get some hand lotion and try and find some way to relieve this cramp. Dear god is that too much button mashing.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

...now to get some hand lotion and try and find some way to relieve this cramp. Dear god is that too much button mashing.

Try holding the controller in different ways until you find the most comfortable position. Holding it regularly killed me, but eventually I found a position that let me hit the button rapid-fire without straining myself.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    you don't really need to tap the shit out of it, since you'll never pull him in with the regular mashing anyway

just do it fast enough to keep him on between the QTE thingies

Elendil on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Try holding the controller in different ways until you find the most comfortable position. Holding it regularly killed me, but eventually I found a position that let me hit the button rapid-fire without straining myself.

Yeah, I learned. I've caught a second one now. How many do you need for all the good fishing rewards? Three? And is is September/December?

vagrant_winds on
    edited December 2009
    Hey, Guardian #3 caught. It's actually quite easy to spot it. The vibration isn't always the same, but it's very similar to the Huge Fish. The secret it to ignore the vibration (outside of noticing that it's one of the stronger vibrations) and counting seconds between ripples on the screen. The Guardian always has five-six seconds between ripples.

vagrant_winds on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had more trouble distinguishing the Huge Fish from the Genji Ayu. The Guardian vibration really is like nothing else.

Elendil on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yeah, I learned. I've caught a second one now. How many do you need for all the good fishing rewards? Three? And is is September/December?

I'd recommend getting 6 for items (four for the Exp+ Shirts and two for the Exp+ Sword).

Robos A Go Go on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I'd recommend getting 6 for items (four for the Exp+ Shirts and two for the Exp+ Sword).

You need one for the Hermit S-Link as well.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The fishing minigame in Persona 4 is the only time that I said "I need to get a dualshock" actually. It's really hard to tell the fish apart from nothing but the ripples

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hate demon negotiation with a burning passion.

Lillim is a gold digger who takes macca and life stones and then splits.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Allow me to re-enact the first moments of Imagine in regards to the demon negotiation.

Hey pixie, want to join? NO.

Seriously pixie I need you to progress the storyline. NO.

Pixie come the fuck on. NO.

Okay pixie seriously if you don't come wi- NO.

Okay join me or die. NO.

I fucking hate you so much you stupid bitch. Just join me. NO.

Baby I'm sorry. I know last time I was mean. I'm a changed player now. So won't you join me? NO.

FUCK OFF. *Pixie joined you*

Gilder on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Allow me to re-enact the first moments of Imagine in regards to the demon negotiation.

Seriously pixie I need you to progress the storyline. NO.

Pixie come the fuck on. NO.

Okay pixie seriously if you don't come wi- NO.

Okay join me or die. NO.

I fucking hate you so much you stupid bitch. Just join me. NO.

Baby I'm sorry. I know last time I was mean. I'm a changed player now. So won't you join me? NO.

FUCK OFF. *Pixie joined you*
    You forgot the disconnects, random mobs spawning near you and attacking while you're talking, and people killing your pixie in the middle of negotiations.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited December 2009
    The next part of the re-enactment is actually people posting in this thread asking if demon negotiation is supposed to suck that much.

It is.

Gilder on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay, despite being an avid lover of jrpgs and have sampled from most of the good series and have formed my own opinions about them, I have never played an SMT or Persona game.

Where would be a good place to start?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 is probably the best place to start. Persona can be a bit confusing to manage all your personas at once and Nocturne is pretty brutal and minimalist with story. DDS 1 and 2 though have the battle system that Persona is now based upon and Nocturne used, so you can get used to it. It's not as brutal as Nocturne but can still be difficult. It also has a really good storyline. The only problem is you won't get used to fusing demons or persona because you don't do that in DDS. Instead you get skills through systems that sort of resemble the Sphere Grid and License Board in layout. You also have a set party with weaknesses and strengths.

Gilder on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fusion in Persona is only difficult or confusing if you're a big dummy : (

Frosteey on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It can occasionally be annoying, though.

Spending hours getting the perfect layout of skills on a Persona, only to end with a Fusion accident.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I agree with the DDS recommendation, but I also feel compelled to mention that my first SMT game was Persona 3, and I managed to pick it up with relatively few problems.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

Spending hours getting the perfect layout of skills on a Persona, only to end with a Fusion accident.

Or to have the X, X, O, O rhythm down so hard that when you actually get the layout you want you back out my mistake.

A duck! on
    edited December 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »

Or to have the X, X, O, O rhythm down so hard that when you actually get the layout you want you back out my mistake.

And then they had to fuck it up by making the cursor reset in P4. Thanks a lot Atlus! Now I have to actually pay attention instead of getting lost in my own little world for 45 minutes at a time!

Gilder on
This discussion has been closed.